Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Saturn

Saturn, from Celestials - Planetary Oils.

Discipline - Crystallization - Control - Constriction - Banishing

Destruction - Sowing Discord - Death

Reverence - Endurance

First sniff: Very masculine. Dark, strong, woody and almost nutty. A scowling magistrate dressed all in black… maybe with a tricorn hat. I actually got a flash of evil priest guy from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame... yikes.

Wearing: I really shouldn’t smell this straight out of the bottle – it’s way too strong and dark and GRRRR. It backs off very quickly and warms up a tad… like when you’re visiting the professor in his office and see the photos of his family and suddenly realise he’s a real person who has a life apart from making yours difficult. There’s a lighter note whispering around the edges that smells almost soapy. Very sober and grounding. Can’t see myself wearing it often – it’s just too wooden.

Edited to add: I remembered that the planetary oils had several characteristics listed on the site, associated with each planet... and I have to say Beth nailed this one.

Discipline, control and reverence, indeed. Guess that's why I was seeing authority figures.

This one almost smells like *poison* to me, but more masculine. I wish I had an old bottle to compare. This is a STRONG scent, its hard to pin point whats in this. Powdery at drydown, theres something amazing in this....

I wanna say maybe a fruity note in the backround but this is anything but sweet... Makes me wanna sit up straight and pay attention to my surroundings... if that makes any sense....

Wore this down to the club tonight...good choice. :P Every lady who gave me a hug proceeded to take a second (third in some cases) sniff. Very well received. Masculine, powerful, and longlasting. Kind of a warm woody patchouli. Ladies desribed it as protective and comforting while be sexy... like curling up with your SO after life, the universe, and everything has dumped on you. I like it enough I'd wear it even without the female response. Definitely going to be getting more of this.

Saturn's a complicated scent, almost to the degree the Tarot oils are.

Warm, woody, and sweetly resinous. The grassy powder note that's in Unseelie is hiding underneath everything here, although it starts to break through a little more after a few minutes. Just a drop of spice comes through after a while, and it carries this to a whole new level - one that has some conflict going on it, but conflict that seems to work, which is made even more blatant when the calamus (?) comes sweeping along behind it.

This is strength in a bottle. It has power, it has presence, and it's like digging your heels in so far you can't be swayed but only for the sake of annoying someone else, just because you can.

Again, Elizabeth has captured planetary energy in a bottle. Saturn is one of my favorite planets, although most people are terrified of it, because it likes to smack you in the face and teach you lessons if you don't pay attention to it... but if you listen to it and embrace its lessons, it becomes your best friend, your source of strength. And that's what I'm feeling from this fragrance. It's a very SERIOUS scent... this isn't something you'd want to wear to put yourself in a playful mood. It is warm and rich and resiny and very, very grounding. I think this smells gorgeous, and as I smell it on myself, it really does evoke certain lessons that Saturn has taught me personally. This is something I will always want to have on hand.

Initial Impression:

Slightly musty and incensey. Austere in a way that makes you nervous about being judged, yet wanting to please. Dark and earthy scent.

After Wearing It:

While wet I got similar impressions to those given by everyone else; Saturn felt powerful, uncompromising and commanding. After it dried however, this scent made me absolutely quiver it was so damn sexy. While it still felt powerful and unyielding, it silently voiced this air of capability and strength. This scent smells like all the reasons a gal might be attracted to an older man bottled up. Saturn can protect and teach you more than you imagined, while turning you to mush at the same time. It has a glowing confidence that comes from years of experience and vast knowledge. Like one of those well-versed debaunaire college professors who has all of the girls in the front row creaming their jeans. It's just sexy in a way I can't describe.

Saturn also calls up images of some high priest or high ranking officer in a secretive, influential order. He has all the knowledge and might enlighten you a bit if you're worthy.

As for a more objective description, Saturn is a very warm & spicy wood-resin blend. I smell frankincense and some sort of red wood, with just a touch of pine and amber. It smells of finely polished dark wood panelling, of judges' chambers and large private libraries. Just divine.

Final Thoughts:

As turned on as I was by this, Saturn isn't something I can wear. It's gorgeous, but it's TOO masculine for me to wear myself. I'd *love* to find a sugar daddy to try this on (because Saturn's sex appeal is so much more older lover as opposed mate/boyfriend). I might get a bottle of it anyway, just for when I really want to feel hot & bothered. Plus I want to try it out as a room scent.

what a heavy smell! definitely a power scent, heady and strong. on me, the grassy smell that jj_j was talking about really comes through with the woody bit coming up behind. i find it to be a very wise and in control scent - there's no second guessing with it. although, to me, it's more masculine, it reminds me of stevie nicks for some odd reason. i think i'll try it on my boyfriend and see how that goes. :P

Initial Sniff: Earthy, resiny (resinous?), incensey. It's very masculine and powerful - definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Wearing: For the first hour or so, I smell like dirt. I point this out to my boyfriend, who sniffs me and says "yes, but it's a spicy good dirt," which is true. It warms up very quickly, and as it dries the spices come out more and more. Also as it dries, a sweet background note appears and becomes more and more prominent, and the "dirt" factor lessens. It ends up a beautifully sweet spice.

Final Impressions: I drove my boyfriend more nuts than usual yesterday - telling him repeatedly how good I smell and making him sniff my wrists over and over again. I don't know much about planetary energy, and I'm not sure the oil fit the "description" for me, but it smells fantastic, and I will definitely order a bigger bottle!

Well, I have Saturn conjunct my sun, so he's my oldest and dearest friend, harsh taskmaster that he can be ... and I both love this oil and would wear it for the feeling it evokes in me. The grassy/woodsy thing comes out as Earth Mother on me - not the fluffy bunny indulgent mommy, but an Earth Mother that is gently, quietly firm. You know right where you stand -- and it's a good place.

This has got to be irresistable on a man.

In the bottle: Saturn smells .. green Like walking through an old pine forest. Green and woody. Not sure if I can pick out nay notes in this one, really can only give general impressions, but I would guess one of the 'greener' woods. Cypress maybe, since Juniper tends to turn me off, and I'm not turned off by this oil.

Wet: Still a green/wood scent. Oddly calming, actually .. something I didn't really expect from this. I want to say this in incensy, so perhams one or more of the usual incense oils: patchoili or myrrh, probably, from the warmth of it. But it remains kindof crisp and green .. maybe more like a campfire, and you're trying to burn some green pine boughs, so theres a hissing/popping of the pine sap as the fire burns on. This becomes more powerful as I wear it, though I don't get the 'turned on' thing that some have mentioned. It's more a 'Hello, there, I'm here in the room, notice me' kind of thing.

Wearing: Oddly, I like this. It's masculine and strong, but not uncomforting. Dark, certainly. This isn't a bright spring day, but more of a late summer evening, when it's still warm enough for shorts and tank tops, walking towards a roaring bonfire and feeling the warmth of it on your face. Perhaps a early harvest celebration .. reveling in the dying of the light, and the symbolic death of the crops as we bring in a harvest. Fitting, to try this on First Harvest. It brings to mind dark images seen in a scrying mirror, and the portents they speak of.

ETA: As this one wore on, it started to do the same thing that Cheshire cat does to my nose, though salice says it's not. But it gets a similar smell to it, and I'm not certain I could wear this as a perfume.

Edited by TygherRayn

Hands down, this is everything I wanted Capricorn to be! Although, since Saturn is Cap's ruling planet I suppose it's fitting that it is. It reminds me of Noir a bit, but more woody, more earthy. It's dark and demanding. I'm not sure if I'd say it's masculine on me, but maybe I just don't draw the line where everyone else does. There are trees in this, red wood or pine or cedar...but they don't overpower me like they did in Capricorn. There's a spiciness hiding just under the top note which is a resinous/incensy scent. The scent of this oil matches its chestnut brown color. It's sexy in a damn naughty way, like a mistress with a whip all dressed in leather who is going to make damn sure you behave or else pay your punishment for not following her rules. It's sex in the back of the library with that refined, slightly dirty older man (like being pinned against the stacks by Anthony Stewart Head as Giles). It's harsh and by the book with very deep lines traced in the sand. I want to go cause some trouble in a public place and be naughty all day long. :P I need a bigger bottle of this! Thank you PaperDoll for decanting!

Edited by silverangel

Well, I'm posting this on the day I read that all the celestials will be discontinued, but for those who might still want another review, I want to add that I also get the lovely woody notes in this, and note its seriousness, but one thing I noted that others haven't mentioned is that I'm sure there is civet in this. Civet is one that overpowers other scents for me...and comes up just civet, which on me, luckily, doesn't have the bad scents it does for others. Its commanding and wild, but not bad.....

an addition: couple of hours later it smells just like pot on me, like my old teenage days when I smelled like this constantly.....so I guess it doesn't inspire authority in me :P

Edited by cuervosueno

First sniff:

Woody and earthy and incensey at the same time. Very dark and oppressive smelling. Just my type of scent! :P

Wet on skin:

I smell patchouli and something that smells like incense in the most general way. This is a very dark scent, I feel like someone is sitting on my chest when I wear it. It's not an unpleasant sensation necessarily, just unusual for a perfume. I like this, though, it's got all the things I love in a perfume.

Dry down:

It's settled down into a cross between spice and incense with a hint of dirt. It's spicy and resiny and earthy all at once, but it's also fading very quickly on me. I wore this on the inside of my elbows and I can barely smell it now after having had it on for less than an hour.

The bottom line:

Beautiful and very dark but I wish it lasted longer. I'll be sad to see this one go, but it won't be as big a loss as my beloved Capricorn. :D

Received this as a lovely gift from the Lab ...

BOTTLE: Very very resiny. I was really stuffed up when I tried this and it cleared my sinused in a second. Delicious!

WET: Pure resiny goodness on me. Very few layers of different notes. Just resin. Happens to be one of my favorite BPAL notes so no complaints here.

DRYDOWN: This has legs and really kept throwing all day. The best way I can explain it is it's a lot like Kathmandu on me but without Kat's many complex layers.

A definite keeper that I will use up till it's gone and not cry too much because I have big bottles of Kathmandu in the meantime.

at first: earthy. i think i smell patchouli.

on: i don't think i'll like this. it's very strong.

half an hour later: not as sweet. still a bit fruity, though. more earthy than before.

2 hours later: mostly earthy, but nice.

4 hours later: still very, very strong. just that intense, earthy smell.

overall: i don't know if i'll be in the mood for this scent often, but it's definitely very different from the rest of the oils i have.

Saturn

In the Vial: Strong and Incensey.

Wet: I smell something Incensey that smells really good... Very nice. ^^ It's masculine. Very masculine.

Dry: Definately a male scent, it's very nice, deep, incensey, strong, and woody. Not sure how to describe it otherwise.

Conclusion: This scent is so comforting, like some others said, it's like a man who just comforts you... I'm keeping this and I might put a dab on my pillow for nights when I need to have some male comfort....

Woody and resinous are two of my favorite things, but there is something in Saturn that doesn't agree with my chemistry -- I almost expected to hear my skin hiss when I tested it! Anything with pepper and almost anything with cinnamon in it, causes me to react similarly -- I feel a sort of burning sensation. Otherwise, in the vial I am inclined to think there might be vetivert in this...not the creamy vetiver of Capricorn, but more like the dark, unyielding one that shows up in a couple of blends that don't agree with me. I am wondering if there is a dark myrrh scent in here as well, as it has that similarly murky, shadow quality that myrrh often suggests to me.

As much as I love woody and resinous scents, this is a washer-offer for me...I've had that experience with a lot of the discontinued scents so perhaps there is a common ingredient that they used to use. A sort of lingering dark powdery scent clings, even after I've washed it off. I would like this as an incense and it would be a great ceremonial incense for a man, but it's not going to work on my skin unfortunately. But for a man, on a Saturday, under a new moon, I could imagine this doing marvelous things!

ETA: Sniffed again as part of the Celestials swap circle, now that I've read the other reviews I am guessing that the quality that made me need to wash this off might be the civet that everyone is talking about. This is a formidable mixture indeed!

Edited by sarada

Well, I'm posting this on the day I read that all the celestials will be discontinued, but for those who might still want another review, I want to add that I also get the lovely woody notes in this, and note its seriousness, but one thing I noted that others haven't mentioned is that I'm sure there is civet in this.  Civet is one that overpowers other scents for me...and comes up just civet, which on me, luckily, doesn't have the bad scents it does for others.  Its commanding and wild, but not bad.....

an addition:  couple of hours later it smells just like pot on me, like my old teenage days when I smelled like this constantly.....so I guess it doesn't inspire authority in me :P

Man, I thought I was imagining the civet since no one else smelled it, till I saw that. :D I just put this one on, and the civet is strong, but not overpowering. Of course with Debauchery, it started off fine and a half hour later I smelled of spoilt milk.

*focus*

In the bottle, Saturn was very biting & harsh. A medicinal bitter scent.

First on, it tirned warm & resin-y on me. I liked it a lot, it's what I expected Cathedral to smell like.

After about 30 minutes, it's masculine properties have amped up and I agree, this would smell divine on a guy. Unfortunately the civet is starting to come out, and on me, civet = bad.

I'll definitely keep it for magickal stuffs, since I don't smell the civet until it's been on me for a while.

as soon as i opened the vial civet hit me in the eyes, strong civet, and a kick of vetiver, there is a smokey edge to it but those are the prominent notes on me.

In bottle: Very heavy and woody. Bit incensy and smoky as well. It's a powerful, commanding scent that instantly snaps you to full attention. I rather imagine Professor Snape could smell of this, if one dared to get close enough to find out.

On me: It's very masculine and has such a presence; it is dominant but doesn't overwhelm. It becomes more patchouli-like on the skin, but it still retains the rich incense. There's something familiar about it, but I can't think what. I think it similar to another celestial, but which one I can't recall.

Saturn:

Originated from: Celestials circular swap

Wet: Woodsy.. very masculine. Hints of juniper and cedar, I believe.

Drydown: Gah! There is civet here, and it's come out to play. :P My skin really amps it up, and that's not a good thing.

Longterm wear: After about 2 hours, it had to come off. Sorry, Beth! :D This was not a good scent for me, at all.

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Woody. Definitely some cedar in her.

Wet: Yikes! Vetiver, patchouli and... is this the infamous civet? Oh geez, I've never tried anything before that had civet in it and wow, does it not work well on me at all!

Drydown: The vetiver and civet get stronger and drown out the wood.

Final thoughts: No. Just. No.

Edited by inkstone

Dark, masculine, earthy. On a guy, I could see it, but I don't know any guys like this. Strong, strong, but in a constructive fashion. Very male, very definitive. Dries to woody and pleasant, in control.

Oh I like this. Too bad my boy says he's not into perfumes, this would be amazing on a guy.

This is sandalwood and powdery, but a rich sweet powdery which implies resins, on me, definitely masculine, but still sexy even on me. It makes me think of curling up in a boyfriend's sweater that has the scent of him. :P This should be *fun* to wear when out with not-so-straight girls!!!

Oh I want more! One imp won't be enough!

Edit1: 7 hours later and this still has a rich, round, resiny smell on me. Happy!

Edit2: I have MORE! bwahahahah! (Ahem, sorry. Fell in love with this and then just got a hold of a bottle. Very happy.)

Edit3: I just read the posts above mine. This has the infamous civet? 'Cause I'm not sure I tried anythign with civet before and apparently my skin doesn't react badly with it. I can now be unfearful of trying civet blends! Huzzah!

Edit 4: Just tested my brand new bottle from the lab. Nice, but not the amazing richness of my imp. I think this one needs aging to be super amazing.

Edited by Muppetk

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Beyond incensey, very very strong. This scared me and I disliked it so much in the imps that I was afraid to put it on...