Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dianella

Chiroptera

A bat-friendly bouquet! Evening primrose, night-scented stock, moonflower, night phlox, lemon balm, lavender, honeysuckle, sweet sage, salvia and thyme.

Honeysuckle and lavender with a hint of lemony-citrus.

The citrus fades quickly, and the lavender becomes more pronounced.
Deffinately an excellent night time scent. Very pretty and comforting. Edited by Shollin

Soft floral with wood undertone on me. The wood becomes more pronounced as it dries - this must be the sage. Surprisingly, I get a lot of thyme, a little lavender, and no lemon. I like this one a lot.

Oh my. Dagnabbit. I am loving this one... I'd ignored it because I'm not a big floral fan, and phlox can be mega-potent on me. But oooh, Batty is verrrry nice. The herbs soften and ground the florals, and I love moonflower very much; I get a lot if it in this blend, a very moonlit scent. Nothing citrusy. It is a little sharp around the edges in a nice, herby way, though, in sort of a citrus-like fashion. But not actually citrus to me. It's fresh and uplifting. I'd put it in the same category as Ides of March; I'm coming to like green/fresh scents a lot, which is what I'd put both of those in. Delicious, and blast it all for falling in love with another (yet another!) LE, which is hard to find to boot. The Boy has also put me on a bit of BPAL restriction, so I will be cherishing my impling...

For me, a 4.5 out of 5. If I didn't have Ides to pet and cherish, I would probably be cooing over this one more- but it fits the same niche, and I like it better. (And I have more of it!)

EDITED TO ADD: Ah! I'd forgotten lavender was in it. That was the biggest reason I hadn't tried it. I hate lavender usually. Luckily I can't smell it at all in Chiroptera.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

This smells like sharp little flowers, fields of millions of tiny flowers with pointy petals and coarse grasses. In the bottle it's straight flowers but at first application I got the Lemon Balm but it wasn't overpowering at all it just blended in with the sharp little flowers. And then there was sage? I didn't expect this I guess but it's nice, very twilight desert smelling. Sage and flowers with a bit of the Lemon Balm. (I had a Lemon Balm plant for 3 years, I moved it and it had little baby Lemon Balms and I loved that darn thing, had to leave it behind last move :P ) As it dries down the image of a desert in the late evening becomes stronger as the flowers fade a bit and and undertone like sunbaked earth comes out.

Overall, very pleasant and complete. I'm glad I have a bottle of this even though I can't see myself reaching for it very often, when I do it will be greatly enjoyed.

in the bottle: generic floral.

wet: lemon balm, flowers... reminds me of walking thruogh a garden after tea.

dry: lemon balm, soap, and the elusive headache note- i still haven't worked out what it is yet, but if i don't wash it off as soon as i sniff it, i'm useless for the rest of the day. i really wanted to like this, but off to the swap pile it goes :/

In Bottle: Lemon and herbal floral

On Skin: This is beautiful, a very feminine perfumey blend. I picture all the flowers and a cute little bat sucking nectar from them… all while a beautiful woman watches. This is so pretty, and normally I’m not a huge fan of florals. But the way they belnd together so perfectly in this scent is beyond amazing. Wow, I wish I had gotten a bottle of this. The lemon is just tart enough to help balance the heavy sweetness of the honeysuckle. The herbs give a very fresh twist and the evening flowers bring a slight duskiness to the scent, so beautiful and not too bright. This is a feminine scent without a doubt, perfect to wear to a formal event or even a nice date out on the swingset. Light throw and sadly, a fairly short wear length.

In the bottle: lavender, a bit of lemon and some herbs or flowers that I recognise but can't quite name. It smells very nocturnal, but I can't explain why.

Wet: lavender and something very soft. I also get sage and some rather spicy thyme. There's a creamy soft floral playing about in there, too.

Drydown: Everything calms down into a very soothing, soft scent. I think that this might be evening primrose, at any rate, it's flowers I've smelled at night. There's something a bit plasticky in there, too, which I don't find so great and I think is the honeysuckle. It's generally a very soft, understated blend.

Overall: Lovely scent, but so quiet! It's a bit like being in a garden at twilight and smelling the night flowers starting to come out, and the remains of different herbs and flowers heated by a warm day still wafting around. I mostly get thyme, slight lemon and a soft floral out of it, it's relaxing and gentle. Very evocative of nighttime in Southern Europe, for me.

The world needs more perfumes dedicated to bats!

In the bottle: FLOWERS. Lord... that's strong...

On the skin: It's really hard to pick something out by name, it's a strong blend. I can note the honeysuckle, lemon balm, and lavender. It's almost like an aromatherapy blend.

It's a tough call on whether I like this or not. Either way I'm keeping it! :P

Chiroptera - I was really surprised when I read the scent description that shows this scent to include many florals. On me, it was dry and herbal, reminding me of the American Southwest desert. The sage is one of the stronger scents in this blend. Since Beth has distinguished between sage and salvia, I am curious what the difference really is since all sages are salvias. The scent has light to moderate throw, and stays strong for quite a few hours. Sadly, it’s not a scent I find myself attracted to at all. It’s just too dry and grassy for my taste.

In the bottle: light florals with just a hint of soapiness, but not enough to be a deal-breaker. I get a color association of pale, just-before-dusk green.

Wet: an instant bloom of florals, crystalline and crisp with lavender, and a lemony sharpness from the balm.

Dry-down: Ooh, there's the honeysuckle. Nummy honeysuckle. The sage adds a lovely spicy note.

Mature: This fragrance and my skin have formed a serious mutual admiration society. The florals blend and morph just like a nighttime garden. Every half hour, something new blooms. Even though jasmine isn't listed, I get a whiff of something very much like it every now and again. It never becomes too sharp, or devolves into soapiness. Throw is moderate, and stays closer to my skin as it matures. Lasting power is incredible: I get several hours from one application.

The bottom line: I've rescued two bats in my life so far, and I've always loved them. They're amazing little creatures, so I suppose that it was a no-brainer that I'd want to at least try a fragrance dedicated to them. It’s Beth’s genius that made me fall head over heels in love with this scent, though, and I wish I had known about BPAL a year earlier so that I could have bought four or five bottles. As it is, I’ll just hoard whatever I can get my hands on. Chiroptera is right there at the top of my list.

The lovechild of Zephyr and Midnight - lemony floral. I love both of those, but unfortunately am not so keen on Chiroptera. It's a light pretty everyday blend such as I am always looking for, but just isn't for me. In the imp, it's lemony florals. On my skin it's lemony florals.On my skin after one hour it is... lemony florals and that is how it stays until it's lemony floral death. It's a pretty blend, but it just doesn't speak. It reminds me of a perfume a woman about my mother's age (which I cannot tell you because a lady never tells her age and certainly not her mothers' age if she wants to live, but suffice to say she is old enough to join AARP but not old enough to think about retiring) would wear - not heady or old-ladyish, not too sweet, and not too strong. Calm and reserved. Not my thing. But nice.

rating: 3/5

In the imp: wow, this is a lovely mix in the imp, with lavender and thyme being the strongest notes to my nose.

On me, wet: every time I sniff I get a whiff of something different, but the thyme is always wafting in the background.

On me, dry: After a while spent trying to work out why this was so familiar, I realised: this is the scent of the gardens of my childhood, herb patches gone to seed and overrun with tall stems of vividly coloured flowers, honeysuckle climbing the trellis nearby.

Verdict: This is making me weepy with nostalgia, so I'm having trouble not breaking into bad poetic phrasing here. I think I'll be keeping this imp.

My mother says she can pick out the phlox. I can only tell it's a carnation-like floral. Really pretty. I like it, and I'm keeping my imps.

i wasn't even sure what to make of this one at first. i put it on before i left for work and sniffed my wrist while walking to work. i clearly detected the far off scent of pencil shavings, and thought to myself "oh no frankincense", but then i checked the description here and there is none in it. i think that initial scent i detected was possibly the sage, which can go wonky on me in some blends.

however, that has faded and now i am getting a soft, slightly sweet, herbal-floral. very pretty! it fades a bit too quickly on me, but i like it a lot!

If you like florals, you'd love this. On me, it smells of honeysuckle and lavender. Pretty, if a little strong. Unfortunately, I am just not a florals kind of person, so I'll be swapping.

In the vial: Ooooo....this is SO pretty!! Sweet, flowery, herbal-y yumminess. So nicely blended that no single note jumps out at me. Just softly pretty, and just like moon-gardens I've had in the past.

Wet: Oh. No. Crap. This hits my skin and IMMEDIATELY becomes Dial soap. I am SO disappointed that my chemistry affects it this way. I'm still trying to track down which note affects me this way, as I've had it happen with a few blends.

Dry. Soap, soap, and more soap. It's not a BAD smell, it's just that if I want to smell like Dial soap, well, I'll use Dial soap.

I wanted this one to work for me, because I loved the notes. I'm an avid gardener, and have planted moon-gardens with many of these plants. Plus, I LOVE lemon balm, it's my signature herb (my first name is Melissa), and grows so well in my shady humid Houston garden, and so am twice as sorry this doesn't work on my skin. :P

I'll find a use for my lovely little implet, though. I'm thinking that it will make a lovely linen spray for the bedroom.

Citrusy herbal floral love... :P I am not a huge floral fan, and tend to get very scared off by anything "night blooming", but I have discovered that as long as "jasmine" doesn't follow that phrase, I adore Beth's evening floral blends. Chiroptera is no exception...the added shot of herbs and citrus, favorites of mine anyway, certainly do not hurt my love of this blend.

Hm. This is rather indistinct to my nose, mostly because I don't know several of the listed notes. Certainly it makes me think of night florals, cool and white and sweet. I definitely smell the honeysuckle, and there is a nice herbal component to the blend as well. Overall, this is a pretty and cool floral blend, fresh and outdoorsy. I like it.

Oh, this is pretty; it reminds me very much of Beltane. This is a very light, feminine, sweet, spring like floral scent. I think the honeysuckle is on top for me. I know there are no tulips in this, but I keep smelling something that my nose interprets as tulip. This makes me think of pink florals smeared over a soft green canvas. It's a little bit powdery on my, but that doesn't bother me as much as some people.

This is a softer blend with medium throw. I'm a bigger fan of Beltane than this, although this is very close for me. Pretty :P

Lovely and sweet. I can see why bats would love this :P Fruity and floral and juicy. Once more a scent I wish wasn't an LE. :sigh:

Night-blooming flowers are usually pretty good ones for me, and these are good! I like the florals in this a lot. However, the herbs are not really my fave. I bet if the herbs weren't there I'd probably like to wear this one. It has sweet, pretty, fresh feel.

In the imp: Sharp citrusy flowers

On Skin: Very sharp bright citrusy floral. Lemon verbena!

On Drydown: I get more of the sage, the bright sharpness of the floral drifts out a little.

Verdict: I like it, but not as much as the other bat scents out there. Perhaps too bright and sharp for me? It's not that I dislike it, I simply don't like it as much as Bat or Bat-Woman.

In bottle: Very delicate lemon with night garden. It's surprisingly nice really. Very green, very delicate. Wet, it's much the same only more intense. The rose is barely noticeable; it is the sort of floral, I am most likely to enjoy, smelling less conventional. Dry: All lemon balm, alas. It's like wearing dish cleanser.

Edited by Lethran