Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dianella

Chiroptera

Proceeds go to Bat Conservation International. A bat-friendly bouquet! Evening primrose, night-scented stock, moonflower, night phlox, lemon balm, lavender, honeysuckle, sweet sage, salvia and thyme.

I just received a very generous gift of this scent and it is just beautiful. I had to try ASAP cause I was dead curious what it smelled like. It is very floral, very feminine and lovely. I can't pick out any distinct notes, I think the moonflower and honeysuckle are strongest on me. It's just a sweet soft floral with a herbal edge. I think I need a bottle of this.

I found it smelling of lemony sweets, though not super foody! Reminded me a bit of my beloved lemon poundcake from Starbuck's. Very pretty, but not me. It reminded me a bit of June Gloom! I know that bats would love it though!

I love bats so I'd have gotten this regardless of how it was described. It was my good luck that Chiroptera turned out to be stunningly pretty. At first the lemon note dominates, but then an herbal-flowery meadow scent emerges to make it a delicate summery blend. This is really pretty and if you're a bat-fan, this is exactly the scent you'd ascribe to a bat's evening flight in the country. On a non-bat note, it also has a calming effect.

Edited by Nepthys

Oh, how nice! Chiroptera is exactly like a summer evening spent in the middle of a flower garden, with all the scents swirling in the air as it cools with the setting of the sun.

I love the lemon balm in this, and it's one of the first scents that waft off my wrist. Honeysuckle is a beautiful complement to the lemon balm because of its sweetness, and the thyme rounds things out by anchoring the components together.

In a roundabout sort of way, Chiroptera is like Cheshire Cat. Cheshire Cat is one of my favorite scents, and only partially because it sends little bursts of individual notes to my nose throughout the day. Chiroptera doesn't have the intensity or staying power of Cheshire Cat, but it does the same little scent bursts up while I'm wearing it, like bubbles floating past my nose and popping to release the single notes. I love it!

There's not a lot of lavender in here - I imagine it would overpower these softer flowers - but what there is gives Chiroptera a bit more backbone. It's still soft and glowing; the scent shines like a reflection of water in mist and moonlight.

Really lovely, and with good staying power for so many light, subtle florals. Not what I would normally wear, but I'm very glad I bought a bottle. I'll wear this one a lot in the coming spring and summer months.

I have to be honest and admit that I probably never would have ordered this on my own. I'm more of a Cerberus type person [which I odered a 5ml of and love], and I usually hate florals. And the description of this was a huge list of florals....

The Lab threw this in as a freebie in my last order and I can't believe how much I love it :D

This just might become my perfect spring/summer scent. The lemon and lavendar bring in the perfect crisp/citrus edge to what has to be the best mix of florals I have ever smelled. This is no 'old lady' scent, which is what I usually get from florals. It is fresh, light, and just beautiful. Since I am not a floral person, I can't really say much more about this blend, because my un-trained nose can only pick out the lemon and lavendar. But I will be ordering a bottle of this to wear in the warmer months and to help support the bat conservation charity.

That's two-for-two on the Oblation scents....I think I might just have to buy all of them :P

At first sniff - very nice, light floral. I've always been a lover of night-scented stock, so I was really excited to see this blend. B'sides, I love bats :P

When I first put it on, I noticed a hint of lemon and had to go back and read the description. Ahh. Lemon balm. Or maybe it's the lavender that's going lemony on me. My body tends to lemonize lavender.

While Chiroptera is a lovely floral blend, it doesn't work well on me. I think I'm going to have to swap this one.

Fresh, herbal, and soapy. Even with all of the flowers in the mix, I would definitely call this a gender neutral scent. It reminded me most of a lovely clean boy, right out of the shower...

Yay bats!

Mmmm, I don't typically like lemony scents, but this is a sweet, floral lemon...lemon icing goodness!

Chiroptera is a very sweet, summery blend. It almost smells like it has carnation in it, but I think it's the lavendar I'm smelling. And boy, the lavendar makes the lemon balm smell oh so good!

As it dries, I can smell the green herbiness of the sage and thyme a bit more, but it by no means smells specifically of sage and thyme. It has still retained the lemon/lavendar smell that is so lovely, but has gone a tiny bit powdery on my skin.

This is a bright, refreshing blend, that isn't too sweet for the non floral lovers! I really love the lemon in this one, it's not in-your-face tart. It's lemon icing over sweet blooms. It makes me want to eat lemon cake and play on a grassy field full of wildflowers.

Even though I'm not huge on florals, I couldn't resist getting this one, because I love those batsies.

It's a beautiful floral, though! It's not overly strong or overpowering in the slightest. It's delicate, crisp, and sweet.

I don't get any lemon, but I'm ok with that. I don't get much honeysuckle, either, unless it blends in so well with the other soft florals that I can't pick it out.

It's very mild and perfect for wearing to work when I have to interact with people that can't tolerate strong perfumes. I still thought I smelled wonderful, but it didn't bother them at all.

This will be so nice to slather on in the spring and summer.

Initial Sniff: Darkly herbal. Like a meadow on a spring night... if there is a bat cave here, it is small and sparkly clean (the bats must do their business in the meadow!) I can't pick out any individual notes, though it does remind me of June Gloom and Midnight.

Wearing: Surprisingly, the lemon and lavender are not overwhelming me. When wet, the honeysuckle really stands out, but as it dries it fades into the background. It really sweetens up on my skin, but it doesn't become less dark, if that makes any sense. I smell like a sweet nighttime meadow!

Final Impressions: I like this a whole lot more than I thought I would. I probably won't wear it much until spring because of its lightness, but it really is lovely.

First Impression: All pink and green like a warm spring afternoon.

Second Impression: I love honeysuckle and this scent showcases it ever so nicely. I don't know what I was expecting from a scent dedicated to bats but it wasn't this. It's sunny and warm, bright and fresh, uplifting and joyful. I get lemon balm only when wet but once dry it's dreamy honeysuckle goodness.

Final Analysis: I was peeking through my bottles and realized that I don't have a really nice pink-spring floral. This is in the running.

this smells like a lemony version of Midnight, with a touch of herb. it's less sweet than Midnight, which is good. I like this a lot. definitely a keeper!

Chiroptera

A beautiful gimp from the ever generous clover on a recent swap, thank you!

Somehow, the vast majority of gimps I've received (either via the lab or other serendipitous means) contain some sort of rose note (Nyx, Catherine, Kostnice, etc.). I am not a rose person. But. I'm being turned to the dark side by all these lovely blends! :D

In the bottle:

My first impression was actually of alcohol perfume. I'm chalking this weird shock to the extreme cold we've had around here and my continued recuperation from the Killer Kold. Perhaps my schnozz isn't yet up to snuff, so to speak.

Continued huffing draws out a very clean (lemon?) herbal taste (sage and thyme?) in the back of my throat.

Wet:

Right after I applied, and I mean the little wand top isn't even back on the bottle yet, I get ROSE. My skin has a tendancy to seize and amplify anything rose like no matter what else is in the blend.

"Hoo boy," I think, "old-lady-ville, here I come!"

It doesn't help that I apply my rosewater scented handcream right after. :P

Drydown:

The rose is still the most prominent note, but I'm getting something more subdued and sweetyellow (honeysuckle?) as well. There's also a powdery dry herbal balancing out the initial burst.

This has turned into a very clean, calm floral... which is not something I would have imagined possible on me until today. I'm really impressed. This and Kostnice are very compelling arguments for me to rethink my anti-rose ways.

Later:

It's been about 2.5 hours. I'm getting a little waft, but this is more of an intimate blend for me. One for myself, and maybe one other person who I'll let into my sphere.

I bought a bottle of Chiroptera unsniffified. I beheaded a q-tip for the cause of testing it out.

When I swabbed a bit on my wrists and neck, I found it good, but a bit strong. Keep in mind I've got a bit of a cold, so maybe the strength is a good thing to an otherwise healthy person, but Chiroptera sort of prickled my nose.

Wet, the lemon balm is spotted easily among the florals. It's a very clean scent. I didn't detect any roses, but I did note something that smelled like lilies as the oil began to dry down a bit. This made the oil smell a bit soapy, but I didn't mind as I had just came from the shower, and I really like clean smells. Plus, the soapiness wasn't too pronounced for my tastes, and I found that it went really well with the rest of the notes I was getting from Chiroptera, such as the honeysuckle and lavender.

All in all, I'm very glad that I have a bottle of this fragrance. Theraveda made a good observation, as Chiroptera is a wonderful fragrance for spring and summer.

-doreen

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab! :D

Preconceived notions:

I can't even begin to describe how thrilled I was to find this thrown in with my last order. I love bats, but I've been waffling over ordering Chiroptera since I'm not a floral person, but I'm so happy I get to try this and finally make up my mind! :D

First sniff:

Ooh, I actually like this! It's a very light, unoffensive, slightly sweet floral with a soft herbal undertone that I love. This is just herbal enough to really appeal to me without being too herbal for most other people to tolerate, I think. I can easily see myself wearing this one, even though it's a floral blend. :D

Wet on skin:

Vaguely lemony, but mainly herbal and floral. These aren't in-your-face flowers, they're much more relaxed and subtle and don't induce the typical cringe that florals generally cause in me. I don't normally like lemon, either, but somehow this works.

Dry down:

The lemon is dying down now and I get a combination of herbal/astringent/sweet floral that somehow works even though it's somewhat bordering on "arthritis rub" from the astringent note (whatever that is). Come to think of it, that's exactly what this smells like on me: the arthritis rub my mom uses! I'm sure that doesn't sound good, but somehow it's actually quite nice. :P

The bottom line:

Much less heady floral than I expected. I really like this for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. :D

Bottle ~ Lemon, with an edge. An almost sinus-stopping edge, actually. woofah. Very clean and crisp, but with a vengance.

Wet ~ A mix of citrus. The edge could either be a floral or a musk. I'm not sure.

Drying ~ I think that what turned out to be a floral is starting to overtake the citrus. These are either flowers I've rarely dealt with before or a very complex mix of them. Very girly, but I'm not sure if it's me.

Drydown ~ It's becoming a powdery or bakery lemon now: light, sweet, citrus and rather uninteresting on me.

Dry ~ It's so light now, that I'm barely getting lemon specifically -- just a lingering fruit scent.

Final thoughts ~ meh. Good for people who want a non-sweet lemon, or a floral lemon. It's okay, but doesn't really do much for me.

Very glad to have ordered Chiroptera.

It's got the sleep-inducing qualities of a cool summer night after a sticky hot day. The scent isn't specifically floral, it's more reminiscent of dainty-stalked plants with velvety leaves and tissue-thin blossoms.

Picture contented little brown bats flitting about their work in a cloud of lemon balm...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Lemon and lavender at first sniff, then when I apply it to my skin it's a light floral herby lemon with the strength of the lavender occasionally wafting through. It stays this way for a while, clean and fresh and crisp, and not very sweet, which I like, but not on me so much. However, after about thirty minutes I get delicious, sweet honeysuckle underneath the lemon, which gradually becomes more potent as time goes on. This is the scent of a warm evening, bats overhead (of course!), the smell of sweet grasses and fragrant herbs drifting up to the sky. It's refreshing, feminine, and very more-ish. Even better, it's stayed strong for six hours now.

Beth has outdone herself. I must have more! It'll be perfect for summer day-wear.

Chiroptera was a burst of nectar-sweet florals which died down to a faint whisper in about half an hour. Though I'm sure bats would love this scent, sweet doesn't do it for me. I'll be passing my imp onto someone who hopefully has a predilection for sweet florals.

Chiroptera is gorgeous.

I'd received an imp as a freebie an a recent order and liked it from the initial sniff, but ordered a bottle untried because I wanted to help the bats. :D

I've been a little bummed that I hadn't thought to order Eos in time to recieve it for Easter, but after trying Chiroptera tonight I know I've found a replacement.

This is feminine, innocent, delicate, gorgeous Spring/Summer garden-in-a-bottle and I don't know that I can pick out each individual note (other than the honeysuckle when first applied) but it's all there and it makes me very happy.

This is the most sophisticated scent I've ever worn, yet it's playful and...unstructured? It makes me want to run outside in the sun and play in the garden and the dirt and notice all the little ants and butterflies and..and...

See my avatar? Picture me with my wrist smashed against my nose. That's what this scent does to me. :P

In bottle: It's a zingy fragrance that makes me think of desert cactus. (Don't know why - I haven't ever smelled a cactus so I don't know how they smell.) It really does make me think of plants growing in the moonlight, flowers slowly opening in the night.

On me: Strong fresh flowers and hints of lemon. It makes me think of summer evenings, lying on my back in a meadow and watching for shooting stars, fireflies buzzing around overhead. Quite a lovely, delicate floral bouquet.

I got an imp of this in my last order- I didn't order it, so please forgive me, bats!!

First of all, thanks so much to the Lab- as much for the gift of imps as for the gift of their taste level, which has proved to be better than mine :P

This is a LOVELY, innocent, soft fragrance. It's supremely well-blended, but I do get lemon floral goodness with the warmth of lavender. Neither of them are screaming singular notes, though, so if you dislike lemon you can be sure that it's here for light, sunny lift, and not for a screaming citrus thing. I love, love, love lemon and lavender, so I am happy!

There's also a green note in here- leaves, not grass. Definitely alive :D

I can't pick out the florals, but if I can't pick them out then I'd be willing to bet there are no roses, violets, or lotus notes in this blend. All three of those flowers tend to scream out and be recognized immediately- therefore, whatever florals Beth picked must be soft and nondescript.

Chiroptera is extremely light. It's color would be pale yellow and it's season would be spring.

Suggested for fans of the dream forumulas and Shanghai.

I don't usually wear light florals, but I'll come up with an occasion-post-shower, office, beach, something- in order to wear this one. It's purty :D

Very very pretty. It's a light floral, much lighter than I expected - but you can smell the night in it.

When wearing it, I am reminded of dusky summer evenings at my Aunt's house, where you could see the bats coming out to feast on bugs.

It's very soothing to me. Ah, I love bats, and I love their perfume!

I wish this was as beautiful on me as it sounds on everyone else! On me, this dries to an aquatic floral (steamy jungle blossoms), which is just not my thing. I can pick out the sage and lemon balm, which I *love*-- but the flowers are too overpowering.

I think if the lemon balm and sage were amped up 10x, and the flowers cut in half, I would love this. Alas...