Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
doomsday_disco

Bagpipe Dog Alchemy Lab

Loyal. Faithful. Perpetually rehearsing “Scotland the Brave.” This is a mascot with real staying power. Bagpipe Dog will outlive us all.

Gin and pine needle with lime and white juniper.

In the decant, I can smell the gin and pine needle, and then the lime and juniper.

I get those notes in that order on my skin as well: the gin and pine, followed by the lime and juniper. It's a bit fizzy, foresty, and refreshing. After a while, the pine and lime calm down significantly, and the gin becomes stronger, making the scent boozier than before. I also get more juniper. The pine is still present, but softer than before, and there ends up being only a hint of lime.

I was really enjoying this during the wet phase of the scent, when the pine and lime were pretty strong, but I don't like the dry phase nearly as much. If you're a fan of the Lab's gin note, you need this!

every note in this description was made of win for me, so I had high hopes.

GINNNNNN in the bottle. Goes on as a soft-edged juniper. A lime note develops on top, which goes with it beautifully. I love love love this. LOVE! 💙  It shifts slightly between pine and more gin, gin, gin as it dries. It keeps the nice crisp edge of real gin and doesn’t veer into the sour sap note which actual juniper can develop.

I adore the Lab’s gin note (21 is one of my all-time favorites) and this is equally good. It doesn’t stick around as long as 21, but that might be the weather. This is a bottle for certain.

Did I mention GIN? and LOVE? 😍

Gin is not a good note on me, so although I love the idea and the label, this was unlikely to work on my skin.  And sure enough, it's gin and tonic all the way -- gin and lime, gin and lime and evergreen.  When I first read the notes, I wished the hound playing Scotland the Brave could be represented by scotch, not gin.  But then it wouldn't be an annoying bagpipe playing dog.  It would be a nice wolfhound curled up by the fire.  So this scent is absolutely right for its inspiration, and I think it would be a terrific summer blend if gin works on you -- something to wear while downing G&T's on a sunny terrace somewhere.  

A fresh, fizzy, coolly forested gin and tonic. This is a high-end cocktail with some novel ingredients. The juniper reminds me of the one in The Crescent Moon, but the rest of the notes put quite a different spin on it. 

I'm enjoying this more than expected, considering I'd normally drink a G&T but not wear one. This freshness and forest pine add the right fun and novelty.

Just a quick review as I just tested this from the bottle today. :D

* In the bottle: Get loads of lime out of this. It reminds me of a Gimlet.
* Wet: Cool lime, smooth gin, and a snowy hint of the juniper. It's beautiful.
* Dry down: It shifts now and the pine comes to the forefront. Pure pine needles, which is one of my favorite notes.
* 1 hour later: A little lime mingling with the juniper now, leaving the Gimlet behind. Very soft, very wearable!

I tend to prefer to drink gin rather than smelling like it, but I liked this one more than I expected to.

My first impression is of a forest-y gimlet. It definitely goes on with a bit of that fizzy feel some of the cocktail scents have, but that disappears as it dries. The lime is very present in the bottle and when wet, but fades fairly quickly. Dries down to gin + pine, with the gin in the forefront.  A very fresh and bright gin scent, definitely one for the gin perfume lovers.

I am a gin fanatic, so I was excited to find this imp in my stash.  

There is a gin called St. George Terroir that was made to taste like the things the creators loved about California.  I'm not sure if Beth was intentionally imitating the scent of this gin, but if not, I hope that she'll buy some of it and try it, because St. George and Bagpipe Dog are very similar.  It's one of my favorite gins because the fragrance and taste are so distinctive and stay very green, never straying into sweetness.

Anyway, back to the perfume: I agree that it has the fizzy quality of other alcohol-inspired scents, but it goes away quickly.  There is juniper and pine with a whiff of lime.  This scent stays very lush and green and unisex.  I love it and am sad that it's too late to buy a bottle.

Love this scent oodles.

It's quite similar to 21, a GC scent, but where 21 is a little woodier, Bagpipe Dog is sweeter and a little fizzier. The fizz isn't very strong, but it's still always fun. In contrast to some of the other reviewers, I think this one sticks around a little longer than 21.

The two scents are honestly close enough that I think I'll be able to switch to 21 when my bottle runs out and not worry too much about it. I might keep an eye on the Etsy to see if they ever sell leftovers of this, but they're so similar that I wouldn't really be able to justify splurging on it any time soon.

In the imp: Pine and lime, and a waft of juniper.

Wet: Brightening lime with a slower-to-emerge gin - it's clear and cool, accompanied by snowy pine needles.

Dry: By the end of the day, a lovely pine and juniper fragrance, smooth and comforting, like someone took a forest and made a blanket of it. 

Very long lived, reaching the coveted 12 hour mark, with a medium throw that grows milder through the day. A little sharp at the start, but otherwise lovely.

Stars: ★★★★½