Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

"When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow."
—Deuteronomy 24:19

Sweet patchouli and hay absolute, with a drop of tobacco leaf.

i don't want to be first! but the Lab's food drive was weeks ago and our DSLE was a few nights ago and nobody else has posted... so i guess i'll start us off?

i'll start by saying my skin chemistry does strange things, and my sense of smell isn't the greatest.

i love patchouli, and the smell of tobacco (not when being smoked, but just the loose leaves. and a Tobacco Flower oil from somewhere, from ages ago, is still one of the most beautiful things i've ever smelled. but that's not relevant here!)
hay, well, i don't mind it but it isn't something that would sway me really one way or another.

so i expected a more earthy-ish patchouli.

after 13 years or so of being into BPAL i should know better than to have notions about what something should smell like, shouldn't i?

this is snuggly and cozy. something, maybe the hay?, goes a little almost-hamster-cage-y for a little bit, but then settles into almost powdery.

Sunday night at the DSLE, one of my friends said she liked it but that it reminded her of someone she didn't like - but she couldn't figure out who.
well, maybe that person is a guy who at some point wore Wild Country from Avon.

i like masculine scents, and so have quite a collection of guy cologne scents.

and some of the ones i like best are kinda stodgy, dad-and-grampa ones. like Old Spice, and Wild Country.

the Avon roll-on deodorant in Wild Country is one i use often. that's what this BPAL reminds me of.

i also have the fairly-recent Demeter scent "Kitten Fur" sitting on my desk, and today i've had Kitten Fur on top of my right hand and Children of the Cornucopia on the top of my left hand.

they're not identical or dupes, not by any means, but they're similar enough on me that without smelling them side-by-side in comparison i think i'd have a hard time telling them apart.

after a couple of hours, there's something in Children of the Cornucopia that kinda reminds me of Autumn Overlooked my Knitting from a couple years back. i'd need to test them side-by-side to see if that's something my crazy brain is cooking up or if there really is something to it. it might just be that they're both snuggly types, though.

i'd call this one gender neutral, but could summarize it as a powdery masculine scent.

Sweet and sexy.

Definitely masculine leaning, and I know this because that type of scent tends to go super sweet and cozy on my skin. The hay note is beautiful, it's a hidden gem of mine that is vastly underrepresented. if you like Hay Moon, you'll love this.

The tobacco is a note I collect, and it's gorgeous as ever here.

The patch is sweet and creamy and vanillic, not earthy or gnarly. If you're looking for the gnarly hippie feet patchouli, you may need to look elsewhere.

I amp sweet, and this combination is reading as gorgeous non-foody vanilla hay tobacco. It reminds me a lot of the Lace family, like the lost Lace brother.

It will age like a dream, I love it!

I want to put this on my husband's neck and just nuzzle.

The tobacco is dominant in this one for me, sweetened by the hay and patchouli. All three of those notes have lignin-y vanillin properties, so they complement each other well. I agree with previous commenters; my initial gestalt impression was "This smells like what scented candles marketed toward men or men's spaces aspire to smell like."

Hay and patchouli, with a touch of tobacco. This one has a sweet vanilla overlay, and I get hay and a ton of patchouli. Oddly, it reminds me to Banshee Beat in vibe, if not in smell. Good throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Very much the sweet patch, but there are hints of the hay and tobacco.

Wet: The patch is stronger and sweeter, but the tobacco and hay are still stirring around in the mix.
The dry-down: There's a little bit more of the hay bote, but certainly not as strong as it was in Hay Moon, where it was the dominant note. The lovely tobacco, not too dark or night, has made itself known by keeping the patch in its sweet zone--very nice! The patch was getting a little gnarly, but nothing like OWS. This will go into rotation next fall
Edited by thekittenkat

Hay and tobacco are my JAM but patch not always, so I am only cautiously optimistic about this.

Wet: (OMG the label art, I totally only just noticed right now...ha ha ha ha, Beth kills me. The Children of the Corn are on the label....) Mmm this is nice. I love the tobacco in it, it's very chewy and rich. The hay is gorgeous. That patch though - I dunno about it. It's very dry and earthy, and I am left feeling like the whole blend lacks sweetness. I want it to be sweeter. The throw is better than nose to skin.

Dry: OK, so this goes through a phase where is smells like stanky marijuana and I hate it, but then it settles into a gorgeous hay scent with just hints of sweet tobacco and earthy patchouli. I dig it. I adore hay. I think some age will really do this good, so I am tucking it away to wear next fall.

Source: Random swap pick from forumite :D
Preconception: I love patch. I'm newly learning Tobacco doesn't smell like a smoker and is actually beautiful. So I'm optimistic. But I've never come across "hay" and liked it.

Bottle: Surprisingly sweet and perfumey.
Skin: Oh what a bloom. Still "perfumey" but tamed down. I know that's Hay being a weirdo. Otherwise this is all sweet smooth elegant patchouli & tobacco. They go together so beautifully - I can't. There aren't words for this combo. It's a new combo for me personally, I've ran across tobacco recently as I try to clear out my to-test stash. But the combo is just so delicious. Woody, earthy (but in a soft, summer breeze sort of way), smooth, sweet. Their combo is like amber's dark sister.

Drydown: Stays about the same for me. The hay is sort of slicing into the patch+tobacco beauty I'm swooning for, and turning this more perfume-esq and possibly masculine edged. I think that's about where it stops; there isn't much more to this scent to tantalize my gemini self. I want something more for no reason at all.

Verdict; beautiful and straightforward. Warm, smooth, gently earthly, slightly masculine blend. Beautiful and simple. If you're someone who loves wearing say vanilla straight, this is one you should try out.

I agree, it will age amazingly. I'll try a few more wears before I swap or sell this bottle, because it's almost nirvana.

Absolutely gorgeous patch with touches of hay. I get barely a whisper of tobacco...but I do get vanilla, which is not listed. Agree with Zankoku about the BB vibe. This is a treasure!

A surprising and beautiful scent that has a touch of a bite to it's complex perfume-y-ness.

I ended up huffing my wrist all day.

Its so well blended I cant distinguish the individual oils. It has a unisex quality as well.

Children of the Cornucopia is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be! 😀

I have a bottle of Sordid and Unpleasant Activities; which I like, but it is a little too dark, too heavy, and too boozy for me to wear very often.

To my nose, Children is in the same family as Sordid - a little sweet, a little spicy/woodsy, and kind of warm. Children has an absolutely gorgeous tobacco note, which is very warm and almost fruity; the patchouli is deep, rich, and earthy; and the hay is light and airy.

It is an extremely well balanced fragrance, and light enough for everyday wear. It feels alternately masculine and feminine, so a nice choice for everyone!

this is a GORGEOUS sweet patch with a tickle of tobacco leaf at the very end. this is my first hay scent, so i'm not sure where it lies between those two notes.

wet: oh YES that's definitely patch; a much sweeter and less herbaceous kind than i'm used to (dirty, stanky patch kid here).
dry: this patch is innocent and angelic, but still adds depth to this blend. there is something that lifts and brightens, probably the hay? the tobacco leaf adds a sweet note right at the end of a whiff. if i smelled this blind, i would probably say there was vanilla bean, but i'm pretty new to BPAL and have an untrained nose.

this is very warm and inviting, a perfect fall scent. if this were a still in a movie, i'd imagine sun beams shining through a piece of amber, or through a curtain of perfectly balayaged caramel hair. this is very unisex, and a total keeper for me :wub2:

Edited by murqmaid

Hay and the sweet patchouli are the dominant notes on me, tobacco flower is a little hard to spot but it's there. I'm really digging the patchouli in this, I'll have to find more oils that use this kind. I swear there's something else sweet in here, but I can't tell what it is.

This was a random decant buy based on the name, but I ended up really enjoying this! I could see this working very well with Escape from the Autumn Carnival; it's basically a sweeter version of that on me minus the leather and smoke notes. It's a very comforting fall scent and reminds me of being on a farm. I could see myself getting a bottle of this, but I want to keep the decant for now. You're gonna love this if you adore hay notes!