Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
puck_nc

The Unicorn, Rushing Against the Tree, Fixed its Horn so Fast in the Trunk that it Could Not Draw it Out

Ethereal white orris, pale early lilacs, mallow flower, Queen of the Night, white moss, and dusk-lit mist.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: The notes list reads like the pale florals I love. We'll find out.

In the Bottle: Interesting. It's rather green and a touch aquatic mixed in with very gentle florals.

Wet: Lots of lilac to start with that watery thread from before.

Drydown: It takes an interesting turn and I'm not sure how to pinpoint what it is. Not so aquatic and the green is soft. Something in here, and I'm not sure what, is actually giving a lot of sweetness to the scent.

Verdict: A gentle, sweet floral that I could easily wear to work. Intriguing and lovely.

Straight out of the bottle and onto my skin this was lilac marshmallows. As it dried down, the marshmallow faded and the orris, moss and misty notes came forward. On me, the mallow resurfaces upon drydown, not super strong, but it adds a sweetness. I'm not sure what Queen of the Night smells like, I'm thinking it is adding to the lilac floral scent?

The overall feeling of this oil is very atmospheric and ethereal. It feels like being outside on a cool and misty night with a sky full of silvery sparkling stars. A unicorn walks by, wafting its marshmallow scented mane around as it passes you. :)

Sweet, aquatic floral. I really love it!

I was a little wary of the mentions of marshmallow, but on me there is only a hint of marshmallow just as I put it on, but it disappears within a couple of minutes. Phew! The remaining scent is a kind of dusky, dusty lilac, quite reminiscent of one of my favourites, Ghost Revelry. It has the same mysterious quality to it, with a subtle darkness from the moss lying underneath.

In fact the longer I wear this, the more of a cousin of Ghost Revelry does it seem to be. If you like that one, or you like the more ethereal Liliths, you might also like this. It has that innocent and beautiful Lilith quality about it.

On drydown, the most prominent notes are lilac, orris, and moss. I'm not entirely sure what the other notes smell like, so I can't comment on those.

Overall a very beautiful and ethereal blend perfect for a hot late-summer evening!

Innocence bottled with a vein of virginal purity & anticipation. That's the journey and scent gets for me.

On wet, I find it ethereal and slightly sweet atmospheric. As it dries, the airy sweetness recedes and the florals dance with moss. This on me is minutes of slight awkwardness and tiny soapy. This phase is short.

As it settles to the dry down, the scent is literal to all components. Non competing. Balanced, beautiful. Demure. Hopeful. Slightly sweet but in a transparent way,,, and this really compliments the floral note.

White organza w a wreath of flowers in a unicorn forest... Dancing

Pretty.

Very nice! Sweet, creamy and floral. I think I'm mostly just getting lilacs. It smells very similar to something I already have (though I'm drawing a blank... Nocturne perhaps?), but it's quite lovely.

Right out of the gate, this is ALL lilac (which I love, so I'm not complaining). The orris is there too, tempering a bit of the floral sharpness. It's hard to tell whether the Queen of the Night or "dusk-lit mist" are around since I don't really know what those smell like to pick them out, but there's a late summer headiness to this that I really love. It reminds me of another BPAL that I can't place (I've smelled so many, wah!) but that I love. It's a warm, summery blend - like early morning dew in a forest or something. Hopefully you get what I mean by that! :P

So far, this is my favorite of the unicorns. It's everything I'd hoped it would be, and nothing I'd feared it could be.

If De Vos is a unicorn, this one is a unicorn scene. It's coming over a hilltop on a hike and being startled by a misty glen just before you, just below. Your eyes skim the scene, which is mostly an array of flowers - somehow you both recognize them all by scent and smell, and yet can't distinguish or hone in on any one, so well do they work together in their shared garden - and there, in the middle, looking up at you through the mist, is a unicorn. You can't believe your eyes; you tell yourself it's a trick of the mist, a trick of the air in this queer place. And yet, there it is. Staring at you, both calm and assertive, the master of its realm. Perfect. Stunning.

I recommend for fans of Fairy Market, Moonshine and Mist, and basically any scent you think of as ethereal, well blended, ageless...really, so long as you like florals at all sometimes ever, give it a try. It's a winner.

I don't get any marshmallow, except as a bit of sweetness toward the end of the drydown.

Unlike 99% of lilac and mist blends, this is neither soapy nor green. It's a balance between the dry white orris and the misty pale floral notes, with a touch of earthy moss. I agree with the comparison to Moonshine and Mist; it also feels very much in the Ars Moriendi line of ghostly, ethereal blends.

Okay, this one is a little weird on me.

At first, all I get is orris and lilac, a very nice light floral blend that smells good if not a little bland....

But on the drydown, this smells exactly like Fairy Bites without the mint. It's amazing! I can't find a component between them that's the same, is it mallow flower that smells like honeysuckle? I can't figure it out, but Fairy Bites is one of my favorites so I'm not going to complain. It's sweet and totally different than De Vos' Unicorn! Which I thought was going to be too similar. Definitely not soapy, which I get from some blends.

I really love those!!

I love lilac and orris, so I had high hopes for this. Unfortunately, it smells really soapy and generic on me.
Unicorn Rushing turns soapy and just has an overall feel of 'fresh spring floral scented laundry soap.' Powdery orris and sweet lilac with a soapy aquatic and kind of a generic, sickly cucumber melon scent to it. I also keep thinking that this has a hint of sour jasmine in it. It makes me think of laundry soap and cheap cucumber melon body splashes. Sickly-sweet, but also weirdly sour, and lots of soap...

The Unicorn, Rushing is my favorite unicorn from the first release. This is truly ethereal on my skin— the pale lilacs lead, with orris and mallow flower trailing. There is no marshmallow note listed, and I get none from this blend. Queen of the Night is referring, I think, to the night blooming cereus. I have no idea what it smells like, but there's a slightly waxy, white floral here that might be it. The white moss and dusky mist notes smell like a shadow of oakmoss and something aquatic—light as air. But it's the lilac that has me spellbound. I love the smell of lilacs and here they're spun like moonlight into a pale floral masterpiece. Gorgeous!

Lilac, orris/cereus, and moss. This one is a white lilac aquatic to me. There's something of a sharpish white floral to me. Slightly waxy. It smells like magical lilac picked at night. Meaning, MAGIC. Wear with caution. Good throw and wear length.

Something about this reminds me a lot of Veil, only Veil has a stronger violet heart and The Unicorn Rushing... has, obviously, a stronger orris/lilac core. It truly is ethereal and wispy, like a silvery, shimmery, pale purple smoke. The orris in this also reminds me a bit of lipstick. :o

Edited by Kris

Lilac. More lilac. ALL THE LILAC! ... and soap. :mellow:

This smells like delicate, expensive lilac soap on me. Pretty, but not my thing. Probably a good bet if you are a lilac fan though. As a side note - anything even remotely aquatic (misty) always smells like soap on me, so take my review with a grain of salt.

ETA: I have a variety of night blooming cereus (epiphyllum strictum night blooming cereus) in my backyard. It's gorgeous when in full bloom. The flowers have a soft, cool, misty white floral vibe. They aren't nearly as heady and sweet as jasmine. I can't smell it in this blend per se, but I could see how it might be adding some misty sweetness to the blend.

Edited by VetchVesper

Wet/in the imp - pale florals - smells both slightly ethereal and very like the kind of traditional pale/white floral my mother would wear.

On first application, it's pale florals with an element of something acrid/musty. Then the lilac comes forward and from about the fifteen minute to the forty-five minute mark, I'm surrounded by a glorious cloud of delicious lilac. If I put my nose right up to my wrist, it's all pale florals accompanied the soap/dryer sheets effect aquatics often give me (that must be the mist) plus a hint of powdery orris, but the throw and silage are all lilac. It's wonderful. I love it. If only this stage lasted, it would be bottle worthy for the lilac silage alone.
Alas, after about a half an hour of gently wafting lilac beauty, something goes very wrong with my skin chemistry, and my wrists start to smell like floral diaper poop. Baffled because I knew this didn't contain jasmine, I check wikipedia, and sure enough, lilac has indole in it. Crap (literally). I've never gotten this effect from white florals before - my avoidance of jasmine is because I just don't like it not because it goes bad on me - but apparently there's a first time for everything.
After several hours of pale/musty/powdery/soapy floral with hint of dirty diaper, the awful notes finally subside and I'm left with faint traces of a much more pleasant dry/powdery orris along with a hint of soapy aquatic.
I can tell this is a really beautiful blend, but my skin chemistry does something horrible with it. Off to the swap pile it goes.

ALL LILAC/WET WHITE FLORAL, ALL THE TIME. Throws and lasts well, never changed much for me.

If you love lilac, get this. I do like lilac (the flowers anyway) but just like jasmine, I apparently have a strong 'soap' scent association with lilac products. This smelled like a truly excellent and luxurious lilac bathroom soap, but rather than wasting it to try to make my own soap I think I'll pass my bottle along to someone else.

This reminds me so much of The Last Unicorn! Lovely ethereal floral prettiness. Almost identical, but not quite- The Unicorn Rushing is a bit lighter and sweeter. Airy, where TLU is more grounded. This unicorn must have been one of the ones she freed, and judging from the label it's still kind of miffed about it. If you wanted The Last Unicorn and are worried you may not get the chance, I'd really recommend this one.

Its beautiful, but not my style. Its pale etheral lilac. Something is giving is an airy quality - like lilacs in mist. The perfect white floral, if you can pull that kind of thing off.

Edited by maudlinrose

this starts off with orris and lilac, rooty and floral at the same time. there is a sense of mistiness as in the description, and earthiness from the white moss. it remains mostly orris with a lilac mistiness supporting it. it's pretty, ethereal, yet earthy all at once. very evocative of a unicorn.

♔ Unicorn Rushing

In the Bottle: Sweet mallow moss

Wet: Sugary pale green moss, a little brightness and fresh mist that’s a little citric to the nose. The floral profile of the lilacs come out and they’re quite sweet, sugared lilac even. I’m getting a little bit of powdery (not baby powder) rice note that’s coming through- it’s a bit strange and reminds me of what I got in The Fairy Thorn. It could be the white moss? Actually, I think it might be the floral marshmallow note mixed with the white moss! Could it be trying to portray the soft coat of the unicorn in presence? It’s sweet and milky and slightly aquatic.

Drydown: It’s become quite a milky aquatic, where the floral, particularly lilac has amped itself and almost smells sugar-spun but is also blended by the mallow flower and white orris to smell like a creamy, powdery aquatic floral in unity. It evokes a thought of the ethereal impact a forest might have if it suddenly became home to a unicorn. I feel a warm blanket of light and maybe dewy mist that isn’t at all uninviting, but a little clouded and mysterious.

TL;DR: Lightly sugared, powdery and creamy, aquatic white and pale purple floral

"It's fine." That is how I feel about this scent, even though this pretty much tics off most my yeses. It is most certainly ethereal and dreamy, but I feel there are several BPALs that do this, but better - if that makes any sense.

This is so, so pretty. I had foolishly convinced myself (mostly because I found BPAL just after the Unicorns ended and they were mostly sold out) that I didn't need any of the Unicorn scents. Then I was offered this in a swap and jumped on it because lilac is a hard-to-find favorite for me. I'm very glad I did--this is like BPAL's other soft, sweet moonlit florals that I love so much but with a lilac center.

While this is pretty linear on me, it's also lovely so I have no complaints. The heart is a lilac/jasmine blend, which I didn't know I needed in my life. It smells like a late spring night and it's beautiful. At the back of the sniff there's a powdery, marshmallowy finish, which does indeed give this a soft, ethereal vibe. It smells like lilac marshmallows from a distance, which again was not something I knew I wanted! I can totally picture this as a unicorn suddenly appearing out of the mist in the woods and then disappearing again as quickly as it came.

Oh noooo. In the bottle I get poopy oudh even though I don't see it listed. Upon first application I get that same whiff of poopiness and now I am scared. On my wrists, after a brief minute or two, the poopy fades and the lilac comes out more - thank goodness. It lasts a minute longer in my elbow but then also fades.

Phew! Saved!

Now that this is beginning to dry down I can appreciate it. The scent is delicate yet present. Lilacs that are tames down by everything else so they aren't absurdly overwhelming.This is very pretty now, and I could see this being the scent of a unicorn as it rushes past, leaving the scent of flowers, meadows, forest glades, and clear waters in its wake. The only downside is that this fades fast on me, and due to the initial unpleasantness I'm afraid to slather on more from teh get-go. I'll have to play with this one a little to see how much is too much.

Edited by Alisha_SBC