Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A scent that wanders through the Ages of Autumn, from the last green leaf to the first breath of winter.

2015 version:

I got a kind of green, 'stemmy' sort of smell at first, and then something drier and yes, a bit spicier and a little earthy, that did indeed remind me of slowly turning autumn leaves, drying in the cool air. It's very lovely! Unfortunately, my skin eats it and it wore off within a couple of hours. Such a shame, as I would have liked to have gotten all the neat imagery that so many other people have from this one. Ah well.

2015 Version: from the imp, it's really sweet like honey and has some of that dead-leave note BPAL does so well.
It's also damp and rainy and just indeed, an array of autumn.
On my skin, it morphs to something a bit more fruitier, and kitchen herby + a sharp leafy/stem-green note. Very interesting!!

(2016)

I get green leaves and sap, and just a light layer of dead leaves underneath. Wet there was just a hint of chill. There is also a fruit, maybe apple? Maybe pomegranate? This is definitely an early autumn scent for me.

Edited by roseus

Sappy, slightly sour green leaf smell with a bit of a damp, cold feel to it. Smells a bit like damp, soapy laundry as it dries down. Most of bpal's leaf and dead leaf blends smell the same to me.

In the decant: A cool breeze and leaves (some green, some dead), with a bit of snow in the background.

Wet: I thought the leaves would be the first thing to jump out at me, but I’m actually getting a blast of clean (either white musk or ozone) with some snow behind it. Then, the leaves emerge, some brown, some red, some green. I agree that there are Maple leaves at play here. The snow note adds a bit of sweetness, but it is not the sweet Snow White snow note, and I think it may contain a bit of pine. But the leaves are becoming stronger as the scent begins to dry. As it dries, I smell apple, but it’s more like an apple cider without the spice than an apple hanging from a tree, and there’s a wisp of smoke to the scent.

Dry: The fruity aspect of the scent (I am still thinking cider that’s also been infused with some other fruits, or maybe a combination of apple cider and pomegranate) is now the most prominent, followed by a bit of smoke, with a bit of the dry leaves in the background.

After a few hours, the scent is very soft and chilly. I think there’s a dusting of sweet, powdery snow now, but it may just be chilled air.

Verdict: Leaf scents are often problematic for me: they either give me a headache or smell like peppers on my skin. So I was surprised not to have that happen here! This was a lot more pleasant than I thought it would be, and it is definitely a morpher that showcases various phases of autumn. I like it! I just wish it were a little stronger.

2014 version

In the bottle

The essence of sticking your nose into a pile of freshly raked leaves, minus the slugs and grime. I'm also getting something distinctly green, like ivy.

Wet on skin

Not so much fallen leaves as it is ivy, something cold, and maybe apple in the background?

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

This becomes subtly more floral as it dries down. Autumnal florals along with the ivy, leaves, cold, and apples. It's also sweeter after half an hour.

Thoughts

I do so love Autumn! It's my favorite season by far, not just because of my birthday in November. This is really lovely, but also pretty strong on my skin. Definitely not a year-round scent, but something perfect for when I need summer to end and I'm craving shorter days, cooler nights, knitted hats and gloves, and soup.

Hi there, 2014 version. I hated you from the moment I bought you 4 years ago up until literally today. Today, for whatever reason, you really do smell magnificent.

This has always been too cologny for me in years past, due in part to the Dead Leaves aspect (a note which, incidentally, I also didnt like until literally today). Now its a gentle, spicy floral with some fall fruits and leaves in the background - and yes, it does morph and become decidedly less green as it progresses into a more golden scent.

It feels very autumnal in the same way that Samhain does, but gentler. If Samhain is a rowdy fall festival, this is a quiet walk in an autumn wood. (Incidentally, I hated Samhain as well until all of a sudden I loved it. And yall wonder why I never get rid of anything.)

Edited by sailthetethys

2018 version:

This one morphs a lot! In the decant, I get leaves -- not quite as sharp as the dead leaf note I've gotten used to, but green and vegetal. Once it's on, I start getting a slightly sweet, creamy, and vaguely minty note that plays better with the green notes than I would have expected. The effect really is that of fall and winter scents in one place. After a few hours, I mostly get that sweet and creamy note and have a hard time detecting the leaves.  I like it, but the end stage on me is similar enough to other BPAL snow-type scents that I'm not sure if I need a full bottle.

2018 version:

In the imp all sticky green sap, something about it reminds me of childhood and crisp autumn mornings and back-to-school excitement. On the skin the sticky sweet sap remains with just the most gentle breeze of dead leaves over it. There's a touch of fruity sweetness underneath. It's that autumn sunshine that warms your face while you bask in it but the coolness is creeping in all around it. Really lovely. 

2014 Magnificent Autumn.  This is green leaves with snapped stems and dry leaves crunching underfoot, with a little smokiness and very little sweetness on me.  It's really beautiful but quite fleeting on my skin, and since it scratches the same itch that my bottle of October does for me, I'm going to let this decant go to someone else.