Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Devil's Trumpet

Showy, invasive, and highly poisonous, the Devil’s Trumpet possesses a strange beauty that is both seductive and quietly menacing. Their fruit is spiked, their seeds are black, their stems are bruise-purple, and their leaves are toothy and uneven. The Devil’s Trumpet’s grand, glorious blossoms open wide at night, releasing an enchanting and delicately intoxicating perfume.

Very, very weird.

In the bottle it smells like a bunch of greenery and a soft, white floral. On my skin, I don't know what the f*ck.

It's like one of those quiet unassuming withery-looking ghosts that you see from a distance, all innocent and quiet looking, but you get too near and then tendrils spring out, latch onto your skin and as you watch in horror, something completely unexpected, and shocking, emerges.

On my skin, this turns into perhaps the lushest, bizarre tropical-bloom on my skin. No green detected on my skin. The undercurrent is a constant thrum of white-like honey, drippy with pollen, I think of gold, yellow, ivory, when I smell this. It has a really intriguing soap-y topnote, which curls 'up' (ugh, I can't even describe this right).

I don't know.

This is a single note: experience.

What the f*ck in the most wonderful way possible.

Origin: Straight from the Lab.

Initial Thoughts: It's a single-note floral that's not one of my few floral death notes. Gotta try them all!

In the Bottle: Lemony, milky, greenish. A bit like a white lily on speed.

Wet: Oh, wow! A profound shift to a lush white floral.

Drydown: Hmm. My mom called and I wasn't able to sniff with attention during the process. It's still a floral, but something I can't nail down is just a little off about it. It's not skanky green-stem, it's not musk-amp, it's not soap. It's a little deeper, a little sweeter, with just a hint of that citrus from the bottle.

Verdict: This requires further testing with undivided attention.

I am generally not a fan of flower notes. Devil's Trumpet will be added to the (very short) list of flowers that won't scare me off in the future.

My first impressions, straight from the mailbox (informal back-of-the-hand test):

Devil's Trumpet is a brighter floral, slightly sweet, and maybe orange (color) in feel. I am pretty sure this has been used to achieve some weather effects (wind/snow/stone) in other blends (Snowball Fracas has a similar element on me). There is something borderline dryer-sheet here, but sweeter and not as high-pitched. Hmm, I think I would consider this a 'fruity floral' if that makes sense... it reminds me of something in the feel of Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse or Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand. The longer I have this on, the more convinced I am that this is a component in some of the lab's winter blends.

More formal test:

After a night to settle down, and testing on pulse-points, etc, the fruity feel is more subtle (and mainly present during the wet phase). The almost-drier-sheet aspect is still there, but also more subtle. I went through my collection, and while I can't find anything that is a definite scent match, that "winter weather" impression I had last night is holding true. There is something here that is similar to Szepasszony, Hypothermia, Snow Flakes, and Snowball Fracas, in the sense that it starts out ...breezy?... and softens to a subtly sweet note. (Don't get me wrong - this *is* a floral scent, not an ice or snow scent, however, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out that Devil's Trumpet is part of the alchemy that creates that winter weather impression in some blends).

In another thread, Flyby stated "moonflower (aka datura, devil's trumpet, jimsonweed, among other names) is a very 'pale' smelling, sweetish, luminous floral. On me, at least, it doesn't do the soapy thing or the powdery thing like some other florals." I've added this because I think Flyby did a much better job of summarizing the scent in a few words, and between my rambling and Flyby's concision, maybe people will be able to conjure up an accurate impression of Devil's Trumpet :)

I'm also getting the "green" vibe from this scent. I tried this and Evening Stock on at the same time (one on each wrist) and for a brief period, they seemed almost sister scents. But now that full dry-down has happened, they are very very different. There is a sharp, almost acrid quality to this scent. It reminds me of the kinds of traditional perfumes my great aunties wore when I was a kid. It's a note that is very "perfume-y". I don't know that I would have cause to wear this on it's own, but I can tell that this is in some blends I am fond of, like B340 and possibly Lune Noir. I'll keep my bottle, but I don't feel a need to get a back-up at all.

I go back and forth trying to decide if this is a green floral or lush like oleander. starts out sory of subtle and light like in Amsterdam ... dries to something more romantic, tropical, evocative of warm evening breezes. One of the few scents i've tried that seems to get more intense as it dries, odd.

This is an odd fruity floral. It reminds me of Poison Apple, probably because of the oleander. There is a faint smell of fruity dish soap underneath, but it's not high pitched or acrid enough to be unpleasant. It's sweet and exotic.

I'm keeping this one.

I haven't seen this in too many blends (angel's trumpet in a few and devil's trumpet in Dark Delicacies, but the black orchid is the main floral for me in DD).. though I'm not sure I'd be able to pick it out even if I did smell it in a blend. It has a vague, perfumey white floral feel on me. At first it has a green, herbal, slightly bitter edge and then it dries down to more of a creamy, sweet-ish perfumey floral with a touch of soap.

My mother always raised Devil's Trumpet in pots that lined her terrace, and I remember the tall plants with their beautiful blooms, but I especially remember the sweet, tropical, heady and intoxicating scent they released when the sun started to go down. I think it's one of my favorite blossoms scent-wise, and so I snapped up a bottle of this to use in the oil burner.

I get a lot of greenery too, and while I remember I could smell the greenery of the plants when the sun had warmed them, it wasn't very prominent. There's also something going on that smells like what musk does on my skin, going pungent for a while and then receeding. There's a vague floral that reminds me of lily of the valley or gardenia or something...very kind of wishy-washy, not at all like the bold, seductive sweetness of real Devil's Trumpet, and I'd never identify it as such if I smelled this on someone. It's not bad , mind you. But it's not Devil's Trumpet, at least not to my nose. :(

Edited by Ashmedai

Green, stemmy floral. It's nondescript to me. It had a bit of a sour tinge on wet, and then dried to a creamy, slightly sweet floral.

PASS.

This is a lovely, lush pale white floral with a nice bit of green.

I am not usually much for florals as they can cause me a moderate amount of discomfort. This one just borders on head pain. I may actually be able to wear it as long as I don't huff right up close.

It is quite beautiful, it smells like it glows gently...

Glad I was able to try this but I won't need to hunt down a bottle.

This kiiind of reminds me of Eight Petalled Lotus at first, a lovely watery floral. It changes pretty quickly into a fruity floral, pretty fresh. It kind of reminds me of a sweet citrus, an orange starburst perhaps. Nice to try, but it's a little cloying and candylike on me.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, Devil's Trumpet is a very green and purple scent. It's a deep, unique floral, perfect for Spring and Summer.

I am generally not a floral fan, but something in the description tugged at me.

In the decant and wet, it's a lush, sweet, slightly soapy floral. I don't get any greens, just straight up elegant, feminine flowers. It's softer than I expected, with very light throw. I doubt I would reach for it often, but it has a strange sort of appeal.

(I'm going through some of my old notes. I tested this at Will Call when it was first released.)

I found the Devil's Trumpet SN hard to describe. It didn't really smell *floral*, exactly, but was light and sweet. Not really something I would wear, but I liked it.

Edited by sunlitgarden

It's a pretty, but soapy floral. It reminds me a lot of a very big pile of flowery soap bubbles. That makes it sound a little questionable, but at least on me it's not unpleasantly soapy. It's more clean rather than a straight bar of soap. It's kind of fun, but it's not something I need to find for more than the drop I have.

Pale, gentle, clean, ethereal white & green floral. Light, not heady, barely sweet. Delicate and feminine.