Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Blood Kiss

Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

This was one of those scents that I was SO anxious to try. It sounded so yummy.

When I opened my imp, I immediately closed it again. Too bitter. I gave it a little time and opened it and put some on my wrist. Unfortunately, all my chemistry can pull out of this one is the vetiver and musk. I get no sweetness at all, unless I press my nose against my wrist. Even then, the sweetness is definitely losing out to the stronger notes.

I know I am not much of a musk person, but I thought there might be enough sweetness to tone it down. Seems as though I might have to add vetiver to my list of no-nos as well. Le sigh.

Earthy yet sweet. The clove is very prominent, but not overwhelming. Honey and vanilla create

the sweetness, and increased in its prominence as time goes on. This perfume is good for both

men and women, but it’s a little too woody for my taste.

In the imp and wet, this is pure chocolate on me. Which would be nice if I liked smelling like chocolate, but sadly, I don't.

Drying, it's easier to smell the notes. The vanilla and honey here just don't smell good on me, and I've discovered that I amp cherry badly. The musk, vertiver, clove and poppy try to save this blend after a while, but for the most part it's just too foody for me and the notes I do like fade quickly anyway. I get a bit of scratch-n-sniff sticker scent, too. Sorry, Blood Kiss, you and I were not meant to be buddies.

i tried this hoping the clove would pop out more than it never did. i put it on and while wet it was very strong and musky, then the vanilla and honey kicked in after dry down and its now very sweet and powdery smelling. i don't pick up the wine or muck any longer.

this is a definite pass.

I first ordered this because I heard it was long-lasting and I was new to bpal. This is by no means a scent I would usually wear or buy, so I'm not sure why I bought an imp.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: Why did I buy this? It's bitter.

WET: Not that bad, but certainly not me. It automatically reminded me of ours friends house is Europe.

DRY: Well, I'm awful at picking out scents I'm not familiar with, so this review won't be much help. It's not that bad, I actually like it coming from a girl who hates sweets/herby smells and adores flowers. At least I thought I did, until I fell inlove with The Olive Branch and actually really likes this! It's a very dark, myserious scent and although it's not exactly 'me' I enjoy trying new things and I might have to buy a bottle . . .

AN HOUR LATER: I think I need to put more on for it to last longer (I was really scared so I only put on a little) but when I press my nose to my wrist I can clearly smell the honey and vanilla. It balances the darkness out perfectly!

ETA: I can't stop sniffing my wrist! Yummmy.

I need to see how much I wear this, but for now I give it a 3.5/5

Edited by loladae

I was very eager to try this because the description sounded so yummy. "Lush, creamy vanilla", "blood red wine", "skin-light pulse of feral musk", oh my!

In the bottle: a punch of something that reminded me of something that I'd eaten before. Something addictive; I thought it might be some kind of nut. I couldn't place what it was. My mom said "cinnamon!" I didn't think it was cinnamon but I decided it was indeed some sort of spice. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to smell like it, but I applied it anyway.

Drydown: the smell remained and intensified. It wasn't BAD, but it was almost kind of boring. Where was the vanilla and wine? I raided the kitchen cupboards to find out exactly what kind of spice it was and lo and behold: cloves!

1-2 hours later: Blood Kiss is not terribly strong, so I can't really smell it unless I put my nose a couple of inches from my wrist. And that's just how I love my perfumes. The cloves have stepped back into this really rich, delicious vanilla. It's also quite a bit sweeter than before, probably the honey? It smells a little food-y. However, I wish the cloves would fade a little bit more. It makes me feel like I've dusted myself with ground spices. If I liked spices a bit more, this perfume would be PERFECT. Unfortunately for me, it's just a bit too much. Alas my fickle likes T_T

Absoflippinglutely gorgeous!!!

In the imp: Sweet cherry and wine.

Wet: Vanilla and cherry now. The wine is fading. I don't detect the vetiver or clove.

Dry: The vanilla and cherry keep the fragrance sweet. There is a hint of spice, but only the briefest of hints. It is just beautifully sweet without being cloying.

A Favorite!!!

Expectations: Sweet, creamy, spicy, and boozy.

In vial: Spicy incense and a faint bit of cherry. No vanilla or honey as far as I can tell.

On skin, wet: Medicinal cherry. I think the combination of clove and wine is most responsible for the medicinal aspect.

On skin, dry: Musk, spice, incense. Barely any sweetness to this at all.

After time: 10 minutes in I say, "No! Not the dreaded floral!" But there it is, and the whole thing is starting to go powdery on me. 30 minutes, it's all powder with the rarest moments of a slight clove scent in the background.

Conclusion: It could be worse. But not much worse. I'm going to have to learn that just because half the notes are good doesn't mean they belong with the questionable other half.

Last night when I first tried this, I wasn't sure if I would like it- it was like BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE. But now that I sniff it again it's a lot more clove and cherry, and more light wine than heavy alcohol.

Wet: Harsh and very hard liquor-ish.

Dry: warmer, sweeter, and very dark. It's grown on me in the past 24 hours :P

It makes me think of vampires, definitely; sexy, devious partying creatures who like their blood, alcohol and sex all at once.

The strength and sweetness of this honey note quite surprised me.

Initially Blood Kiss is all cherry and vanilla, and I briefly get that "almost chocolate" note that others have mentioned. Within the hour the clove and vetiver show up to round this out and give it a deeper feel. At this stage it's still a very hey-look-at-me scent, though in an appealing, sexy way, rather than a Dane Cook kind of way. A few hours later this is all honey, with only the vaguest floral twinge that I suppose must be the poppy. I never get any red wine, but that's fine since usually that note goes unpleasantly boozy on me.

Overall I like this scent a lot, and it's the imp I'll reach for on those rare occasions when I feel the need to be the center of attention.

Straight out of the bottle this smells like a homeopathic solotion - I'm guessing that's the alcohol. It's a bit weird to put something with that scent on my skin. Happily it changes immediately and turns into a full, soft scent, well balanced, very nice.

After a while it fades off, leaving something sweetly musky.

Unfortunately the imp I got (not fro the lab) leaked in transit and there was only a drop or so left, 'cause I could see myself wearing this.

Just got this one with my decant of Parlement of Foules, from salixnoir. I'm hoping it will work, because every note in it intrigues me except vetiver...

So, in the imp: Whoa, nasty vetiver. Please tell me it won't be vetiver on my skin...

Wet: Ah. Vetiver...please, please fade.

It is fading, just a bit. Maybe...

Dry: It's still vetiver. I can't smell anything else, except maybe a touch of musk. Too bad.

Imp: Mostly cherries and vetiver. I have the distinct sense that the cherries in this scent are my beloved dragon's blood resin.

Wet: Off putting when first on. The honey goes sour and the wine starts to duke it out with the honey. I can smell the vetiver and musk underneath the battle attempting to smother all the other notes.

Dry: So. Very. Worth. It. I still get hints of wine, but the vetiver and musk have been demoted to the bottom of the pile leaving this gorgeous soft vanilla/honey scent with a lingering hint of cherries. Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.

Throw: Fan-diddly-tastic.

Overall: Oddly enough, when I first launched myself head over heels into BPAL, I was drawn to this scent by the description of the darker notes. I'm so glad that my skin clings to the ephemeral notes and creates this soft, lush scent. It's a really lovely, complex blend and I think I see a big bottle in my future.

In the Bottle

Sweet and warm and resiny, but with a strange almost chlorine note coming through strongly.

On Me

Aww... it settles. Basically, I've got the sweetness of dragon's blood, I've got cherries-- and these aren't those fake crappy glace cherries or the artificial flavouring in kids' cough syrup-- these are real dark plum decadent cherries that you just want to bite into.

There is a slight spiciness, but it's not overly intense, and ditto on the muskiness. The predominant notes coming out for me are the Dragons' blood and the cherry, and this strange nuttiness (hazelnut?), which is what I think the chlorine note turned into. It's gorgeous. Very much a "Gothy" scent but very nice all the same. It's not your standard hippy-trippy patchoulli-and-incense asthma attack clear-the-room affair, but it's definitely not mainstream.

It's complex-- there is a floral of SOME description lurking underneath-- I'm going to say at a guess it's lily of some variety, and on me, dries to a warm, buttery-sweet blend. I like it. It makes me think, "This is what would have been [but with less vanilla] if Hellcat had liked me." Oddly enough: I LOVE vetiver and it loves me, but the vanilla and the vetiver are both strangely AWOL on me. Huh?

Sidenote: Smells edible, but for god's sake, don't eat it! Purely accidental, I got some on my finger while applying it, and it tastes like chlorininess mixed with something super bitter!

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

in the bottle i smell chocolate and cherries.

at first i was afraid this one might be too foody for me, but after applying it it really turned into something special.

wet it was all honey with just a touch of cherry.

after a few minutes the clove comes out along with a hint of musk, although to me the two are almost interchangable in this scent.

just enough musky spice on the dry down turns this from sweet to sexy really quick.

although it remains pretty much all honey, once it dries it becomes less like candy.

almost like making the switch from the good old honey bear to a rich, thick raw honey.

although it did not last as long as i hoped on my skin, i did notice it clings to whatever clothing i was wearing when i applied it...so no reapplication is needed!

i put this on before bed one night and my pj's smelled delicious up until laundry day!

another plus, my hubby finds this scent irresistable!!

this is on the 5ml list for sure...

In Vial: Smells like bit-o-honey candy

Wet: Mellow. Like old wood and honey

Later: Hasn't really changed much. Has gotten stronger and the notes are more blended together but still smells very much like wood and honey.

This is glorious. Just wonderful. Wet, it's dark and vetiver-y, woody and a deep crimson colour. The vetiver quickly softens out and the cherry, vanilla and honey take over. The throw on this is fantastic - a sweet hit of honey and cherry that I can smell whenever I move - and close to the skin there's a deep, woody, vanilla and vetiver mix, not too sweet but incredibly sexy. 'Complex' doesn't cover this - it's intricate. The staying power on me is incredible, too - one light application lasts for anything up to 36 hours. All-time favourite.

It's so weird, because this smells like menthol on me. I smell the sweet, I smelled cloves at first, but now I smell like Vics. Its getting stronger the longer it sits :P

This scent was very bizarre for me. It smeld a lot like this one candy I had as a child that I lost in the depths of my room before finding it years later. That stale sweetness is what Blood Kiss reminded me of. After putting it on later it began becomming a fairly annoying scent and I tried washing it off to no avail. Later my mother asked if I was aroung flea powder at my work then I realized, thats also what Blood Kiss reminds me of! Stale candy and flea powder! There is something about this scent that I like despite the strange combination of scents but I definently am not going to wear it around (because I secretly find some delight in the scent of flea powder X.x)

Wet on my wrist: the first scent to hit my brain is cherry nougat - candy, but not really sweet candy - and then the vetiver and the vanilla take over within a couple of seconds. The cherry grows progressively fainter. Interestingly, this is finally a vetiver note that doesn't make my nose sting.

It's a very complex smell, but maybe a little too much green/wood for my taste.

Later edit: I tried it again and I like it a lot more the second time around - perhaps aging it for another month is what made the difference. I think I'd seriously consider buying a 5ml of this now, but I'd have to stick it in my closet for 2-3 months first.

Edited by marared

This was frimped on my last order:

Imp:very heavy. heavy cherry and musty and palest hint of vanilla

Wet On Me: ugh. Turned to musty attic with clove

Drying Down:the musty is leaving and vanilla is showing up now.

Dry: Vanilla & musk now. Then it turned to powder on me.

The beginning does not set well with me, but the end is somewhat pretty. I don't think this is a scent for me.

I was so excited to try this,after reading all the enticing reviews and since i like most of the notes in this.

In the imp:I smell honey,vanilla and a little mint?

On me:Pure honey with a hint of creamy vanilla.I thought i didn't like honey,i've always thought it's waaaayyy too sweet,but this is so delicious that i just can't stop smelling my wrist.I detect some floral notes aswell and the minty thingy's there too.Reminds me of candy cane.

An hour later:Doesn't change much on me.And i do think it smells somehow menthol-like on me too as another reviewer mentioned.Sadly,the cherry never became prominent :P.Sad,cause i love cherry *SO* much and i was so looking forward to try an oil that would smell cherry-like but not too candy-like.I was hoping for a black cherry with wine notes,but this isn't it.But i like the way it smells on me very much.I think i'm gonna need a big bottle of this.It reminds me of a soap i used to enjoy some time ago.A rose-y,clove-y soap.Yum!

Overall:I liked this one very,very.very much even if it wasn't what i expected.It's very interesting how this particular scent smells so different on different people.All hail chemistry!

It's a very comforting scent,yet sexy and sweet and provocative.I love it.

In The Bottle

Cherry and chocolate for me

On Application

As above the with the chocolate coming to the fore. Very dark and cloying.

Dry Down

It has taken 10 minutes for this to tone down enough for my sinuses to get a break. I am really getting the honey now and a touch of the wine. Feral musk is right! I am thinking I will like this when it starts to behave. 20 minutes in and this is now a smooth honey, vanilla and clove scent with a touch of wine. This will be too sweet and cloying for me to wear. :P

Rating (0-5)

This smells like Dragon's Blood with a hint of honeyed vanilla and a whole lot of wine-soaked cherries.There is a hint of musk that keeps it from being too sweet. This should be glorious, right? Well it is.....for about 5 minutes. I don't know what it was, but Blood Kiss faded on me incredibly quickly, leaving only a memory.

I am disappointed that it faded so quickly on my skin, because I could really love this.

Edited by scarletgenesis

Hmm first thought in the Imp wow this is really strong and it was for me anyway. But I smelled Cherries and vanilla and it surely lasted on me for a while. And in the car LOL.

It is sadly to strong for me. It gives me a headache. So I can't keep this one. :P