Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Soniadevi

The Deepest Mysteries of Creation

So much has been done, exclaimed the soul of Frankenstein-more, far more, will I achieve; treading in the steps already marked, I will pioneer a new way, explore unknown powers, and unfold to the world the deepest mysteries of creation.

The deepest mysteries of creation: wild frankincense, rose otto, hyssop, and oude.

Preconceived notions: based on the notes listed (wild frankincense, rose otto, hyssop, and oude) I'm expecting something resembling Rose Cross/ All Saints/Ecclesiastical excesses. A church scent, something sacred, devotional.

Sniffing the bottle: soft rosy hyssop.

Wet on skin: resiny rosy hyssop.

As it dries: the hyssop comes forward. This is starting to smell like the cake/incense from All Souls. Ironic. It doesn't smell foodie in the slightest though. It's more like a suggestion of cake, rather than a full on impression.

Drydown: the frankincense is coming forward. The hyssop slumps back, very relaxed, into the frankincense armchair, with a cashmere throw made of Oude, whilst hugging a soft resiny Rose scatter cushion. The rose is not really obvious, you really have to slump back as if you were the hyssop, and then you'll detect the faintest whisper of a rose. For those who don't deal with rose too well, I wouldn't worry.

Overall impression: this scent is SOFT, SUBTLE, DELICATE. It is absolutely lovely, and I'm sure it will age beautifully. In fact, it would benefit a lot from ageing. I would highly recommend this scent, it feels sheer on the skin, like a veil of gentle loveliness, or a soft, peachy beige angora sweater. It's not offensive in any way, and will not frighten your colleagues at work, if you work in an office like I do! It actually makes me feel quite beautiful, wearing this, like I feel when I have just washed my face in the morning and my skin is fresh and plump.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. It may deserve an extra star depending on how it develops with age. I'm not saying it's not perfect, but this isn't a wow blend that screams, it's a soft blend that whispers. I can only give 5 stars to blends that shout SEX, but I think that's more down to me, than down to the blend.

This is resiny and full of oude. Aged...I think this will be amazing. Right now...the oude is making the frankincense smell funky. :rasp:

This is church incense with a touch of rose. This reminds me a bit of a softer, less complicated All Souls.

The rose definitely blossoms more on the dry down. I wouldn't call this a rose blend though...it's definitely more resinous with the gentlest kiss of rose. :) Very pretty.

At first, it's incense and rose, very full and vibrant. Once it warms on my skin, it mellows a bit and the frankincense goes a little sweet (or is that the hyssop?). It's pleasant, much like other rose incense bpals. But then disaster strikes: something goes funky. It may be the oude. It's not so much a sour smell as it is body odor. So this lovely blend ends up smelling like what it would've smelled like on someone in the days before indoor plumbing.

I'd like to try it aged, because I think the funkyness will age out.

eta: A few days of rest makes a big difference. It's beautiful. The opening frank/rose calms down after a few minutes & blends with hyssop, while the oude gently mingles, like satin bedsheets wrapped around lovers legs.

I just wish it lasted longer......

Edited by surlygurl

In decant: Sweet, soft resins and just a touch of rose.

On skin: Sweet but dry. Comforting and light.

Longer wear: Eh. Light, resins. I have so many other resiny blends that I rarely wear, don't think this one is going to make the cut. It just doesn't stand out for me.

In bottle: Classic 60’s or 70’s perfume in feel. The frankincense makes the florals a little more sensuous and edgy. The rose is dominant, followed by the frankincense with hyssop and oude in support. No skin testing, rose and frankincense.

Earthy frankincense at first, then the rose comes out. This is an interesting combination with the resins and sweet rose. Nice, but it's still not my thing. It becomes a tad bit powdery after awhile.

In bottle: Subtle dry rose and wood.

Wet: Hello frankincense and oudh. Reminds me somewhat of Cathedral in this stage. Some rose, but nothing crazy or soapy happening.

Dry: The rose is more of a rosewood to my nose, which is fabulous. The oudh and the frankincense and balancing each other and creating a light woody incense feel. I don't pick up on the hyssop, but then again I have no idea what that note smells like on its own. The longer I wear this the more I think the oudh is coming out, and that is a lovely thing. There is an antique rosewood and dry wood quality to this that I have not gotten from other blends.

Overall: Seriously awesome, unexpected hit. This has more layers than something like Cathedral but is definitely in that family of scents. This is a nice fresh woody incense blend with a definite old feel to it. It does not have a ton of throw, but it does not fade off too quickly either. Fabulous!

On me, this is mostly perfumey rose that dries down powdery with a hint of light resins. I already have a bunch of resin & rose scents from bpal that I like more than this (Parlement of Foules for a LE, and Rose Cross in the GC that is also rose & frankincense).

Frankincense and oude. For some strange reason, my skin eats this up and 20 minutes, its almost gone from my skin.

Heaven, heaven, heaven, this is exactly what I wanted it to be :wub2: It is in the same family as The Caterpillar and Wicked, but a bit less aggressive. Still rich, but not as In Yo Face. As it dries down, it does that Wicked thing, without turning powdery.

I was expecting to be hit in the face with rose otto but instead I am greeted with a slam of frankincense mixed in with something sharp and bitter. Wet, the frankincense goes deeper and deeper. As this dries, it becomes cloudier and is very one-note to me. I'm guessing that frankincense fans would enjoy this.

In the bottle: Mostly frankincense, but also a touch of oude and hyssop.

Wet: Some of the rose is coming forward to add a hint of sweetness, but so far this blend is mostly the other three notes.

The dry-down: Now it is rose-scented incense, a bit like all those other church incense blends that that Beth does so well, but not too overwhelmingly incense in tone. The rose note blooms but doesn't seem to amp, so I would say that all four notes combine in a pleasing fashion and keep each other in check. If you have any issues with any of the four notes, this may be one scent that could work for you, since no one note predominates as it is drying. I scored a partial of this, and may look for more.

Incensey rose at first, drying down to a rich, deep frankincense- I suspect that's the oude giving this such a lovely base. This feels very sacred, like you're smelling something that really is a holy mystery. I love it!

It does remind me of All Souls, but without the fruit and with a more solid base. More like the solid incense than the incense smoke.

It's a bit perfume-y when I first apply it, and that had me a bit worried!

But, as it dries it's primarily rose and frankincense, but with a little something extra? I don't know if it's the oude or the hyssop, but one of those is keeping thus from being either overwhelming rose (not that I would mind!) or overwhelming incense-y (again, not that I would mind).

So it is primarily those two, but while they're the bulk they're noticeably not the whole! It's very pretty- very soft and sort of gentle. I don't think I would have expected this from a doc Frankenstein inspired scent, but it fits its name perfectly. I love it and the bottle art quite a bit.

I was hoping for rose and resins, but a week out of the mail this one seems really just reminds me of vetiver. Frankincense and I don't always get along, so maybe that's the culprit.