Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thursdae

Mother Ginger

From beneath her skirts emerge eight gingerbread children: gingerbread, French vanilla, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and marshmallow cream.

Just recieved my decant :heart:

From the imp: Spicy Lemon, this was not really what i was hoping for.

Wet: Lemon, ginger, spice and a hint of cream, and it's a bit strong aswell.

Dry: still lemon gingery and creamy.

Dry:(after 30 mins)it sooo divine, the lemon is all gone and what i have left is a very light and soft marshmallow cake scent :wub2:
I retested this 3 times to make sure i wasent crazy, but every time it changes to the marshmallow cake scent.

Checking back to the notes that are in it, i dont detect any cinnamon at all.

this is not at all a baked goods sort of ginger- it's creamy and sweet! it reminds me of fresh ginger ice cream- light, cool and sweet. it is somewhat like opuhi, an atomic tiki lounge le i've always loved, but even cooler and lighter. not at all what i was expecting, and so delightful.

I think I recall someone liking this to Playing With a Loaded Gun, of the BPTP inquisition 2009, and I say :joy:

I opened both bottles and took a side-by-side whiff. It's the exact same zingy/fizzy/fresh ginger note in both. Mother Ginger has some gooey undertones to it that PWALG is missing, but that said this is the first time I've found a true replacement for one of my very beloved scents. I LOVE PWALG, but I am just as happy, maybe even just a little happier, to be wearing Mother Ginger.

Am actually quite shocked that it's getting its share of less than stellar reviews as I find this a really likable ginger and not as cloying as Gingerbread Poppet (although I love that one too.) I guess it means MOAR for me.

In the decant: All the notes are present, but faintly.

Wet: Lemony gingerbread.

The dry-down: Still somewhat lemony gingerbread, with faint hints of vanilla, sugar, marshmallow, and the spices. I wish that the Lab's gingerbread note worked on me. It's nice, and certainly better than any year of Gingerbread Poppet (which, sadly, gets a cold and stale feeling on my skin), but I don't think that I will need any more, alas.

I must admit, I'm a little stumped with this one! Starts of with a very gingery kick, but calms down fairly soon, becoming a smooth, sweet/sugary, warm, comforting scent. A bit like a combination of being snuggled under a cozy fleece blanket with a plate of gingerbread cookies and a mug of ginger grog to one side... Um, there is something I can't quite put my finger on though- is it the marshmallow cream? That particular ingredient can't quite find it's place in my little fantasy- I find that I tend to like a scent more when I can wholeheartedly embrace it, but when there is an ingredient that I cannot comprehend, I find it somewhat more difficult to give an impartial opinion.

One thing I would say for sure though: it does not in any way remind me of ginger ale, there is no fizziness that I can detect. There is certainly a gingery hit at the beginning, but to compare it to ginger ale may be a bit of a stretch- having said that, everyone perceives scents totally differently, that's the beauty of it!

Generally, I would rate this scent 3/5. Good for comforting, foody coziness, with a VERY lingering after effect- this scent stays put for HOURS.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

There is a surprising fizzy scent to this one right upon opening the bottle. Applied, it's a brash, fizzy, pure ginger scent. There's kind of a ginger ale vibe. It dries down to a pure, unsweetened ginger scent.

This one was a major disappointment because I'd have preferred the ginger with French vanilla and marshmallow cream from the description, but I'm sure plenty of people will love the bold and fizzy reality.

One of the most comforting BPAL oils I've used yet. Just gave me a sense of buttery, gingerlove. :wub2: I would not want this one, however, for the hotter months of the year. This is definitely for the autumn/winter seasons.

Oh my word, I love this one. Spicy and gingery like Gingerbread Poppet, but sweeter, lighter and overall more feminine. Doesn't morph hardly at all from the bottle to the drydown, and it lasts very nicely on my scent-eating skin. I'm so tempted to hunt down a backup bottle, I can't even tell you. :yum:

This is like Gingerbread Poppet on clouds of vanillaed marshmallow cream, like Marshmallow Pumpkin's Yule counterpart. As it dries down the vanilla and marshmallow notes actually become more prominent than the gingerbread on me, but for the record I do amp vanilla (not like I actually mind). The gingerbread doesn't disappear into a trace of spice like some gingerbread scents do, though; it holds its own. There's really nothing more to say except it makes me want to eat my wrist.

I agree with posters who noted that the ginger note was very pure and dominant. It wasn't ginger cookies, or ginger latte - it was very sharp, clear ginger. I expect to love ginger blends, but in its pure form its not my thing. I was hoping for a foodie spicy blend, so I'm disappointed. If I remember correctly I had to wash it off not long after applying it when testing from my decant ... definitely one for swaps.

Mother Ginger

On: So sweet, but not heavy. I can definitely get the gingerbread and nutmeg, which help this from being too sticky/sickly sweet.

1 hour in: Sigh...sort of vegetable-y and sort of wood-y. Weird.

5 hours in: Spicy, sweet, and a bit vegetable-y.

Overall: I was hopeful for this one, but it didn't develop well on me.

I love Mother Ginger. I loved Mother Ginger from the description alone. It smells like gingersnaps and vanilla sugar. If I had to choose only one BPAL to use for the rest of my life, this could easily be it. It's foody without being too sweet or buttery, it's spicy without being Christmas potpourri. It's almost got a little bit of that BPAL ginger ale effervescence, too, so it's not too heavy. LOVE IT. :wub2:

On the skin: Ginger ale? Yep, it definitely smells like some ginger soda!

Doesn't change much over time for me. Quite a gingery scent. I don't really smell any of the other notes and it is definitely a different type of ginger scent than Gingerbread Poppet.

Spicy, sweet, and gingery, as if Gingerbread Poppet and Milk Chocolate Raw Ginger Butterscotch had a baby. Unfortunately there's an undercurrent of something sour that I suspect to be the marshmallow cream. If I had to stick with a foody spicy ginger blend I think I'll stick with Gingerbread Poppet.

Mother Ginger is both foodie and fizzy, like ginger snaps and marshmallow fluff saturated in ginger ale.

My stomach just grumbled typing that. Nothing buttery about this one! Pure deliciousness.

From beneath her skirts emerge eight gingerbread children: gingerbread, French vanilla, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and marshmallow cream.

An obliging friend picked up several scents for me at the new year Dirty South will call event last year, and this is one I haven't re-tried. After seeing the Nutcracker last night at the opening night of the season, I had to pull it out to re-try. Aging for a year really, really made it better. My impression last year was of lemony-ginger ale and not much else, so I was really pleased today to see this one blossom. It's still ginger-aley, with a great vanilla depth to it (and no bottom-of-the-ashtray bit). It's food-ish without being complete dessert on the wrist, and I like it a lot.

Just received my decant of Mother Ginger and I'm in love! This is my favorite BPAL scent to date...and now to figure out a way to get my hands on more!

I strongly suspect Mother Ginger is one of those scents which improves with time. While it still has a fresh, ginger ale feeling to it, it doesn't seem lemony at all at the moment, and I presume that the "freshly cut ginger" aspect of it has tapered down in the year it has had to age. Even so, it still has a bit of that fresh cut flavor to it, which is partly why I love this so much!

Mother Ginger is what I expected Sudha Segara to be like (although I like that one too!), and is just marvelous. This is ginger, cardamom (?), marshmallows, and cream in the perfect balance. The ginger in Mother Ginger is much more "fresh" and tart than it is in Sudha Segara, which can go almost soapy on me at times, but as I mentioned above, this is primarily a dreamy creamy sweet scent rather than a fresh one. Even though the description states that there's gingerbread in this, I don't really smell any. Gingerbread has a pretty distinct baked/cookie accord to it, and this scent doesn't have any of that at the moment. It just smells like a spiced ginger beer float.

Wet: Sweet and spicy ginger ale, cream soda, served with ice cream, cardamom, and nutmeg.

Dry: Marshmallow comes out and decides to play alongside the above concoction, which has lost its fizz.

Gorgeous scent! I hope Beth brings this one back someday, or maybe a variation on this ginger and cardamom. Yum!

Edited by synthetique

In the bottle - A slightly lemony ginger with a creamy undertone

Wet on me - A dry woody note from the spices with all that sweetness underneath

Dry on me - Dry warm spices with that softly creamy slightly musky undertone

Overall - It's very yummy, but I can't help thinking that it could do with more of a kick

In the bottle: Gingerbread, spices, and vanilla.

Immediately after application: Same as in-vial but I catch a hint of something buttery.

Warming up: Not much gingerbread. Very foody though with the vanilla and spices.

Fading: Spiced vanilla marshmallow poofs. Yum!

Faded: Average throw, average wear.

Overall: I wasn't sure at first but it warmed up deliciously. Probably a bottle.

Rating: 4/5.

In the bottle...effervescent and bright. Hmmm...is that lemon I smell?

On wet...much the same, fizzy lemon with not much in the way of spiciness I would normally associate with a ginger note.

Dry down...still lemony citrus. What the heck? I was anticipating a warm, spicy scent reminiscent of gingerbread with marshmallow snow. Something sweet and mouth watering, but I still am mainly getting bubbly citrus. It remind me a bit of Cerberus, which was also lemony on me...Ginger Skulls also had the same citrus tones but was sweeter. I do get tiny brushes of vanilla which warms the sharpness of the citrus, but I'm just not getting the ginger.

I do like this scent, I just wish I got more spicy ginger from it. I got this as a swap and I don't regret it, but due to its similarity to Cerberus on me I think I only need to keep one of the two.

I thought I had reviewed this when it was first released, but I guess not. In the bottle and when wet, it smells like a very bright and fizzy lemon ginger ale. After dry down, the warmer spices come out and it smells lovely. I'm much happier with this now than when I first got it in 2010.

I wasn't sure what I expected here but I figured if I got some of the rumored ginger ale it would be enough for me, even if it could be so much more.

IN THE BOTTLE: Very lemon-limey. Not ginger ale yet but that's a good sign. And they're not even listed in the notes!

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm

WET: Very very very very sweet. Like liqueur or nectar sweet without being alchoholic. Not really foody but with food-related notes. But the ginger gives it a fizz, predominantly, on me at least, amping the vanilla to be soda-ish.

DRYDOWN: In the end, I think this just ends up with a little too much of that French Vanilla for it to really work for me. I think Vanilla lovers should adore this sweet scent and that it would be a light enough and lovely scent to give little girls who may be fans of the Nutcracker.

OVERALL: Sadly, it's swapsies for me.

On a scale of 1-5 a 3.

To my nose: Cakey and sugary dough with a sprinkle of nutmeg. I see a lot of people getting lemon/citrus from this and yeah, for the first sniff I could see that too. And then the sugar & nutmeg arrived.

On: Wow, this is cakey (duh, gingerbread). I got a bit lemon as the drop landed on my skin, but now it's just straight up cookiedough with nutmeg and ginger. I'm not getting any cinnamon so far which is sad because I looove cinnamon. As MG warms up the spicyness comes out a lot more. And theeeeen...lemon again. Whyyyy is the lemon here? Is the mother wearing a dress with lemon-buttons? I think so.

After an hour it's spicy ands weet mixed around. The lemon is finally gone.

Eventually the spices also leave, and all I can smell is a sweet marshmallow.

This is really lovely and i'm so thankful that I could get this one in a trade!

In the bottle: Ginger! Sharp, spicy ginger with a sweet undertone. Makes sense if you see the ingredients.

On my skin: Hmmm.. this is what I was hoping mother ginger would smell like; a firm ginger kick, but with soft edges. I do not smell marshmallow on its own but I guess it is what softens the ginger down a bit. It is a great scent, comforting and empowering at the same time. I can see myself wearing this a lot this fall/winter.

later: Yup, here comes the marshmallow! yummy and soft marshmallow.

Unfortunately this has not much staying power on me: after an hour I only smell a faint bit of the ginger. And after that, the ginger is gone all together and all I can smell is something sweet, soft and comforting when I put my wrist to my nose.

Edit:

lately this is one of my most worn scents lately and actually the staying power is amazing. I've put some on yesterday evening and now, 10 hours later, I can still smell the lovely spicy/marshmallow scent. totally different than when I first wore it :wub2:

Edited by Lucide

Bought a decant from another forum member. Wet: super gingery gingerale (the good stuff..). I wasn't too sure if I liked it at this stage. Dry: still gingery, but the vanilla and marshmallow cream blooms and makes a creamy gingerale scent (gingerale float...? Might have to try that one day...). I really love this even though the wet stage threw me off and will try to hunt down more!!