Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Aunt Caroline's Money Draw

Okay I wanted to get this one just from the name alone. It looked so alluring in its blue bottle, I had to take a chance.

I am pleasantly surprised that yes, it smells really great l :P It reminds me of a cross between Big Red and Juicy Fruit gum. It is fruited with melon and I also smell orange zest and lots of fresh citrus coming straight out of the bottle. There is a depth of nutmeggy-cinnamon- cloviness which makes it irresistible. The cinnamon comes to the forefront once it is on the skin. Once I have it on, it becomes a sweet tangy spice. Invigorating!

I wore this the other day when I was dealing with money and having to handle some negotiations and I have to say it gave me a confidence and I like to think "drew" some money to me!

I will wear this again when I need something to go my way.

It doesn't last terribly long- a few hours on me- but I do really like the way it smells and makes me feel whenI wear it.

I think it could be good also for alter use and for candles.

Thanks Black Broom and Bpal!

Upon first application: All almonds. Sweet almond oil, though, not bitter. With lots of powdery cinnamon and sweet spices. And just a hint of orange. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Definitely not toothache-inducing sweet.

After a few minutes: Hmm, I'm wondering if there is some amber in this one, too - because there's a powdery sweetness when it dries down.

Conclusion: I loooovvve this oil! So much so that it is my new BPAL goal to find a bottle of it. As for the money-drawing effect, well that's still up in the air. But if it smells this good, I don't really care!

I originally wrote this on January 11, but am finally posting it since everything's fallen into place now. Anyway, I present my review...

As I am not one to mix magickal oils with scent oils, this is up in my altar room, and I've no idea what it smells like. This review is based solely on the oil's purpose, which is as it probably should be, being that it is a magickal blend created for ritual use.

That being said... hot fucking damn!

Things haven't been the best for us financially here as of late, and the other day I went up to the attic (where the altar room is), and did a little work using this oil (yeah, it was started before the new moon, but as it's a 7-day candle, it's still working). Today we hit rock bottom financially... and when it looked like there wasn't going to be any chance in hell that we'd get through this, there it was. Like a light in the dead of night, a beacon of hope shimmered upon us and sent forth the help we so desperately needed.

Suffice to say... I am a very happy little witchy. :P

Mind you, I don't give 100% of the credit here to the oil alone, but of all the money drawing and prosperity type oils I have used (and believe me, there have been many), this is by far the BEST.

I went to Black Broom to help a friend pick out a perfume for his wife for Valentine's Day, and while there, see if they had a bottle of Yemaya for a fellow forum member. While I was there I noticed that they had one bottle of Aunt Caroline's Money Draw left, but not with a tester. Now, a couple of the times I've been down there, the staff have always been very good about letting me open bottles that didn't have testers, but today there was a new girl there, and she was clearly uncomfortable with the idea since it was her second day. Thus, I ended up buying this unsniffed. As soon as I left the store of course, I opened up the bottle and slathered. (Since I don't practice ritual magic, this will never be used to dress a candle or the like.)

In the bottle: Spicy orange, with another citrus note (I can't tell by smell, but it may well be lemongrass since I've been told Van Van oil is a common starting point for voodoo oils) and as a pull away, the faintest mint note. I suddenly feel very good about this purchase. Very good indeed.

Wet, on skin: The spicy orange smell stays for only the briefest few minutes, and then the entire scent blooms into the most delectable sweet cinnamon imaginable. This is red-hot candy cinnamon, rather than cooking Ceylon cinnamon, with just enough complexity of other spices and orange in the background to keep this from being simple.

Dry, on skin: The scent fades, but with excellent staying power, and it's really incredibly beautiful. Something that smells very much like one of Beth's musk bouquets comes up as the scent dries, which I adore. If it's possible to have a "clean" spiciness, this is it. It's quite invigorating, clean and just dripping with cinnamon love.

Conclusion: THIS is the cinnamon scent I've been looking for. Three Witches is nice, but after a while turns to clove on me (not that such a bad thing). This stays true cinnamon, spicy and wonderful. Its properties as a ritual oil may be most efficacious, but as perfume oil, it does its job with equal skill. It's no chore to wear this perfume. No, no, not at all. In fact, this may end up being my new favorite. It's one of the most beautiful spice blends I've encountered yet.

Edit: I've since discovered that, well yes, as a matter of fact cinnamon IS traditionally used in voodoo oils to draw money. :P Color me unsurprised to find it here!

Edited by Macha

First impressions: spicy orange zest. Yumalicious.

as it dries - the orange and spice (mainly cinnamon) are all I really smell on me. the orange starts to be the star in this, with the spices serving a supportive role. It's very warm and comforting. I love it!

like blackrayne, i got this one for ritual purposes (namely, help in finding a FT job) and plan to use it as such -- it'll be living in the back of my entertainment center with my other supplies.

but it's orangey spicy goodness. my left hand smells fabulous.

Courtesy of the Pumpkin King circular swap!

I didn't even realize this was a Black Broom Exclusive until I wrote up this review! I was thinking it was a catalog BPAL voodoo blend.

Anyway-- This is spiced oranges! Definitely spiced oranges! Unfortunately it turned to soap during the drydown phase so I couldn't form any other impressions. :P

But it's a shame I didn't note down what day I wore this. I should have paid more attention to see whether or not it had any beneficial effects.

Origin:

The Pumpkin King circular swap. :D

Preconceived notions:

I've been looking forward to trying this blend for a while now, both because people said it was cinnamony and because of the purpose (I could really use a windfall right about now), so I'm excited to get to try this. :P

First sniff:

Cinnamon and something I can't quite place...orange, maybe? It smells a little like orange, but I can't really tell with the cinnamon in the foreground. Either way, this reminds me both of Christmas and Constant Comment tea (although it's normally cloves that remind me of Constant Comment). :D

Wet on skin:

I'm fairly certain that is orange I'm smelling here. It's very nice and warm smelling. Comforting. It's less spicy than it was in the imp, but I still like it. The question is whether or not it works. :D

Dry down:

Cinnamon and orange. It smells vaguely like potpurri, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't gotten any beneficial effects from this, but who knows...it could just be that it needs more time to work. Either way, I still like it. :D

The bottom line:

Can't say for sure whether it works, but I can say it smells good. :evil:

The first note I detect from this is cinnamon. Next comes the tobacco and last is the orange. It reminds me of some of the other spicey voodoo blends.

As this dries, the spice from the cinnamon lingers, but the actual cinnamon itself recedes into the background. This lets the tobacco and orange pop right out.

It stays fairly true to form dry. I'm going to have to put this one to work. It smells powerful.

First Impression: Oranges and spice with a hint of an astringent quality.

Second Impression: The astringent quailty disappears as soon as it begins to dry leaving behind the most gorgeous creamy citrus and spice scent ever. I really love the scent. Unfortunately it's a fast fading scent.

Final Analysis: This scent is really positive and uplifting. I like having it around to dab on my husband and myself. It's the first BPAL that Rob has been receptive to wearing since I told him about the voodoo properties of it. It smells so good on him.

I haven't had a chance to use this ritually yet, but yum, it smells delicious!

In the bottle--green, almost like crisp dollar bills, though perhaps that is just my wishful thinking! :P

But then it goes to the spicy orange others noted--kind of like those clove studded christmas oranges--remember those? this smells like cloves to me, or a softer cinnamon....I think it is cinnamon because its got that slight cinnamon tingle...And yes, sweet almond...

Another one that makes me want to eat my hand....

I got sweet cinnamon-citrusy yum as far as the scent is concerned.

As far as the magic properties are concerned, I read here about how to dress my wallet and money (since I need to buy some more ritual tapers, the ones I have are old and ill-suited). I did it this morning while looking at the bills (concentrating on the presidents' faces and mentally instructing them to bring me more money). The first thing I happened to spend any of the dressed bills on was a cup of coffee. Cost: $1.47 (overpriced, I know, and not even Starbucks). I gave the cashier: $5. She gave me: $3.78.

I didn't notice until I was back at my desk. I probably should have given it back but that place overcharges SO MUCH for every single thing that I feel no remorse (and I ate there daily for years at $6.95 a sandwich). I also forgot about the part of the spell where you only spend the trained money on things to help further your career. Unfortunately I don't really feel like I have much of a "career" per se, but I'll try to think of something.

ETA - thanks to Macha for pointing out my typo - I was supposed to get back $3.53 and she gave me an extra quarter thus $3.78, not $2.78 as I originally put.

Edited by roesmoker

In the imp: cinnamon!!!! This smells like a festive orange-spice blend.

Wet on skin: it's cinnamon or clove, but there's also something salty there, which is strange. Makes me think of my mum's spice filled cooking.

Dry on skin: now the cinnamon comes to the fore, oh, beautiful spicy heaven. There's a sweet note there too, like a sweet wood, maybe sandalwood, and possibly some clove. But this is mulled wine spice, but also smells like a spice market too, because I can detect savoury spices too, like turmeric or ginger? There's something slightly curry-ish about this blend, but I love that. There's a hint of orange there that blends with the cinnamon to make that festive smell that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

After a while: oh, the cinnamon is simply glowing on my skin! This makes me feel like a true Spice Girl lol. This is dry, warm, comforting and delicious.

Verdict: this is the ultimate spice blend. This is like walking into a spice market, there's cinnamon here, and loads of other spices, both sweet and savoury. This smells like the spices used in Christmas dinner meets the spices from a delicious curry. It's foody, it's comforting, it's warm…but will it make me rich? Well, I'm going to dab a bit on a lottery ticket to see if this stuff works! :D

Edit: it seems this stuff does work! :P I did win a small prize on the lottery-only 10 quid, I know, but it goes to show there's magic in that there oil!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

ok.. as I'm currently fundraising to take mike away to see the dolphins, I included an imp of this on my apothecary's cat order.

tried it a few days ago...

scent review.

orange, holy oranges! and cinnamon, and wow... I love the scent, I would love something like this that was just a straight perfume oil, I feel though that the tal oils have a little more, charge? intent? I may not be getting the words exactly, but I feel they are not just for slapping on any old time.

results?

well, I wore it with intent, after meditating/sitting and thinking very hard/visualising a succesful day I put some on, only a little.

started phoning around for donations, lush donated a massive chunk, massive I say, of noriko soap as well as their enormous spring fever gift box :P

also got some more positive leads for my jam/cake order sheet, possible new customer alert!

and I found £1 that I'd lost in the car :D

all in all, as soon as I can I'll be ordering a big bottle.

Edited by binkyboots

In the bottle it smells orangey. Orangey and spicy with something green underneath.

As it dried on my skin the orange went away and was replaced by more green. hmmm it almost smells like vegetables. kale? *shrug* I swear I'm not on crack.

Can't say about any money changes. I really only had it on for a few hours. (and I would've felt weird putting it on anything other than my skin in the store :P )

Edited by brownbear

This is a spicy citrus scented oil. I didn't wear it for perfume purposes, though. I applied a little to the inside of my wrists and my fingertips. I didn't receive any financial windfalls, but my husband ended up paying for two video games that I had intended to purchase myself, which saved me about $60 of money that I was going to spend. So take that how you will. :P

I also annointed a scratch-off lottery ticket on which I had won $5. My intentions were to redeem it to buy 5 lottery tickets for tomorrow night's Mega Millions drawing, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I might re-annoint it before I go to the store with it this evening, just in case the intentions have worn off.

Bottle (Imp): This smells pretty crisp and green.

Just On: Very crisp. Green, and a bit like money.

An hour or two later: This has some spice to it, and is still pretty crisp.

Around 6 hours: Hmm, it's settled in as a skin scent, and is mostly gone. I'll be trying this out in ritual very soon.

12 hours: Quite faint, and I would think it was my own skin were I not wearing anything else, and can tell the difference.

Overall: This is a nice scent, and I certainly will be using it for ritual work. At the same time, I could see using this as a perfume to give myself a little extra ooomph when I'm trying to deal with financial things.

After reading other reviews: Goodnerss, my skin must have eaten the oranges and cinnamon, as I got none of those. It's going to take a bit of time for me to do any ritual with it, but I'll keep track of that and see how well it works there as well.

I know the scent is not the point of this blend, but it is gorgeous. It's ginger, at first sharp and pwerful, but then when it settles creamy and warming. I don't know about its 'money drawing' properties, but I do know it's a very optimistic scent and it certainly made me feel more able to deal with things.

I swear I smell coins.

not joking here, this is the metallic smell you get on your fingers when you've been counting and bagging up your small change.

and you get the taste in your mouth too, when you sniff it.

I have high hopes for this ritually. I have a good little money spell, and I think this will find its way into it.

This is a sharp, biting ginger in the imp/decant. On my skin, it smells almost like a cinnamon/clove mixture.

As for it's real purpose... I'm not sure if this was a coincedence, but since first trying it on my skin the other day, I've been finding money everywhere. At work, in my apartment, in my car -- everywhere. Nothing big, mostly coins and $1, but money all the same.

Edited by Aredhel

My Impression:

I can't speak for it's magickal qualities, but however as far as how it smells:

Yummylicious..Oranges and cinnamon with cloves..This is truly lovely just as far as the scent goes itself....a keeper.

In the imp and just applied this is warm, juicy cinnamon. Like Dentyne gum. Very refreshing, nice throw. Lightens considerably but doesn't disappear completely. Lingers softly for hours. There's a very subtle, fruity something that I catch snatches of now and again...Want to say fig, but can't tell for sure. Whatever it is, it's lovely!

Nice when a purpose oil smells so nice!! Now fingers are crossed that it works as intended :D

eta: duh, forgot...Also has a bit of a creamy vanilla thing going on after about an hour. Gotta love it :P

Edited by Eros

Origin - decanted imp received in a swap

In the bottle - juicy!

Wet - as soon as it hits my skin, cinnamon comes out and stands side by side with the juiciness.

Dry - Cinnamon, orange and something else, something I recognize from other voodoo blends. It's an earthy or perhaps rooty scent. It's similiar to, but not as juicy or spicy as A.C.'s Money Bag.

As for it's efficacy, I haven't tried it out yet.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2. (Scent only)

Sweet, herbal, and a bit of cinnamon. Now as strong as I expected, and is mostly faded a couple of hours later, but it is really gorgeous. Also seems to live up to its name so far. I want more! Lookign forward to the TAL site, and this seems like a goooood blend to own for when I open my new business in a month. And it smells really pretty.

First sniff: Cloved oranges! Orange spice happiness. Mmmm.

Wearing: Cinnamon and orange and spice and yay. I dabbed a bit of this on my wrists and behind my ears, and used the remaining bit on my fingers to rub on the two dollars I had in my wallet. We’ll see what happens. No visible effect by the end of the day, but my wallet does have more in it now... 'cause I hit the ATM before work. :P Love the scent whether it works or not!