Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
binkyboots

Leather

Wait, is Amaterasu v3 a leather scent?

Hmm, well Leather is a component suggested/mentioned in just over half of the reviews for Amaterasu v3 that is not speculated to be present in Amaterasu v2. To some extent, if you are comparing both, the v3 is more easily identifiable as "the one with leather", haha.

Since it is a prototype, I suppose one can't be sure whether leather was an actual note in the blend, used for a Japanese deity generally depicted in silk (even though she's got a kickass sword!). Having said this, I think even with the traces of light leather (or what smells to be light leather) Amaterasu v3 still remains to be considered as a golden scent (after all, she is seen as the goddess of the sun), rather than a leather one. But that's just how I like my leather- really soft, supple and as a supporting note- and the only reason I started an interested in looking for more blends with light leather notes (because before I got to sniff it, I quite literally had..no interest!).

Wait, is Amaterasu v3 a leather scent?

Hmm, well Leather is a component suggested/mentioned in just over half of the reviews for Amaterasu v3 that is not speculated to be present in Amaterasu v2. To some extent, if you are comparing both, the v3 is more easily identifiable as "the one with leather", haha.

Since it is a prototype, I suppose one can't be sure whether leather was an actual note in the blend, used for a Japanese deity generally depicted in silk (even though she's got a kickass sword!). Having said this, I think even with the traces of light leather (or what smells to be light leather) Amaterasu v3 still remains to be considered as a golden scent (after all, she is seen as the goddess of the sun), rather than a leather one. But that's just how I like my leather- really soft, supple and as a supporting note- and the only reason I started an interested in looking for more blends with light leather notes (because before I got to sniff it, I quite literally had..no interest!).

Oh, interesting! I think I had the two protoypes conflated in my head, so I just remembered the mentions of vanilla sandalwood :)

Bow and Crown of Conquest is a snuggly vanilla-leather on me, but the sage and lavender notes might make it more herbal/masculine than you're looking for.

I think Bow and Crown also has cedar which I cannot wear...and it's a shame too because there are so many beautiful blends out there with it :(

I probably should have mentioned my aversion to herbal notes too, haha thanks for reminding me!

I just remembered - one vanilla + leather that doesn't work as well on me but might on you is Western Diamondback (Snake Oil with leather, tonka, and sage). The sage isn't very noticeable, and while Snake Oil does bad/medicinal/patchouli-ruins-everything things on my skin, I'm a rare Snake-Oil-hating exception and most people adore it and smell awesome in it.

@mollison and @sprout

Thanks so much for these recommendations! Patchouli tends to side with the "masculine" end on me and I think I only have a few scents that contain it because of the association. Would you say the patchouli in these are light and feminine? ;D

The patchouli is light in Haute Macabre (on me at least).

The patchouli in Badgers is sexy and dirty. On me, it depends on where I put it: on my forearms, Badgers amps leather. On my wrists and cleavage, the patchouli is more dominant, at least at first. Behind my ears there is more honeysuckle. When I dab Badgers on all of my pulse points and normal perfume areas, it turns into this beautiful, complicated scent. I smell really sexy and dirty and awesome. And when it fades down, the leather and tobacco and vanilla are what remains (on me).

@mollison and @sprout

Thanks so much for these recommendations! Patchouli tends to side with the "masculine" end on me and I think I only have a few scents that contain it because of the association. Would you say the patchouli in these are light and feminine? ;D

The patchouli is light in Haute Macabre (on me at least).

The patchouli in Badgers is sexy and dirty. On me, it depends on where I put it: on my forearms, Badgers amps leather. On my wrists and cleavage, the patchouli is more dominant, at least at first. Behind my ears there is more honeysuckle. When I dab Badgers on all of my pulse points and normal perfume areas, it turns into this beautiful, complicated scent. I smell really sexy and dirty and awesome. And when it fades down, the leather and tobacco and vanilla are what remains (on me).

Ahhh! I think Badgers has sarsaparilla which I can't really wear :( Coupled with patchouli (especially if i's not white patchouli!)..i do love honeysuckle though! haha

Haute Macabre contains almonds too yes? haha.. I didn't realise I had so many nope-notes...i sounds so picky T_T

Bow and Crown of Conquest is a snuggly vanilla-leather on me, but the sage and lavender notes might make it more herbal/masculine than you're looking for.

I think Bow and Crown also has cedar which I cannot wear...and it's a shame too because there are so many beautiful blends out there with it :(

I probably should have mentioned my aversion to herbal notes too, haha thanks for reminding me!

I just remembered - one vanilla + leather that doesn't work as well on me but might on you is Western Diamondback (Snake Oil with leather, tonka, and sage). The sage isn't very noticeable, and while Snake Oil does bad/medicinal/patchouli-ruins-everything things on my skin, I'm a rare Snake-Oil-hating exception and most people adore it and smell awesome in it.

I second the Western Diamondback. And aged for a few years it is beyond amazing

I'm looking for more feminine scents with a light leather note and a competing vanillic component. Anyone with recommendations beyond Liz, Amaterasu v3, and Clockwork Couture: Female?

The only things I'm not keen to smell with these two notes are anise/sarsaparilla/liquorice and anything too woodsy, piney, minty, nutty or citric. I also am not too keen on masculine scens (such as Disrespect for Established Authority).

Not sure how masculine you'd be willing to go, but have you tried Jareth? That was mainly white musk, sweet tonka, and leather on me. There's also Knight in Shiny Armor (which doesn't read as particularly masculine on me), which is lavender-heavy, though it may be too herbal for you with the oakmoss and sage.

Does anyone know of any scents with leather similar to the one in Dead Leaves, Raw Leather, Bourbon Vanilla, and Clove? I haven't come across anything else with a raw leather note in it, but in most of the other leather scents I've tried the leather isn't very noticeable on my skin.

I'm looking for more feminine scents with a light leather note and a competing vanillic component. Anyone with recommendations beyond Liz, Amaterasu v3, and Clockwork Couture: Female?

The only things I'm not keen to smell with these two notes are anise/sarsaparilla/liquorice and anything too woodsy, piney, minty, nutty or citric. I also am not too keen on masculine scens (such as Disrespect for Established Authority).

Paladin!!! A thousand times. It's sweet, light, complex, and gorgeous. I can't wear masculine leaning blends, and I've always shied away from leather and metal, but Paladin is one of my must haves, I've gotten lots of complements on it.

Paladin- Immaculate white musk, sweet frankincense, bourbon vanilla, white leather, and shining armor.

Not sure how masculine you'd be willing to go, but have you tried Jareth? That was mainly white musk, sweet tonka, and leather on me. There's also Knight in Shiny Armor (which doesn't read as particularly masculine on me), which is lavender-heavy, though it may be too herbal for you with the oakmoss and sage.

Seconding the recommendation for Jareth. It reads as Dorian + leather to me, and the scent is "white" enough that it doesn't lean too far masculine.

Paladin!!! A thousand times. It's sweet, light, complex, and gorgeous. I can't wear masculine leaning blends, and I've always shied away from leather and metal, but Paladin is one of my must haves, I've gotten lots of complements on it.

Paladin- Immaculate white musk, sweet frankincense, bourbon vanilla, white leather, and shining armor.

Definitely agree with the recommendation of Paladin. That's pretty much how it reads on me, too, and I'm also not into "masculine" leaning blends too often. I really love the vanilla in Paladin and how it plays with the other notes. I think the armor note is a bit more dominant than the leather, but it reads as a leather blend to me as well, and it's a favorite of mine.

Does anyone know of any scents with leather similar to the one in Dead Leaves, Raw Leather, Bourbon Vanilla, and Clove? I haven't come across anything else with a raw leather note in it, but in most of the other leather scents I've tried the leather isn't very noticeable on my skin.

I'd love to know too. The leather in this smells incredible on me; all smokey, sexy and noticeably leather. The leathers in Paladin and Jareth don't show up at all on my skin (though they're in my top 10 anyway :heart:) and something in Fighter smelled so much like hospital chemicals that I couldn't smell a thing beneath it.

Wondering if SN: Riding Crop might be worth a go.

Hello, leather lovers! I am new to BPAL. I just tested my sample of The Black Rider and I love it! It's so good. But I find myself wishing it were a little spicier (or something?), and I'm considering a blind buy of Snake Skin and/or Pleasures of the Imagination III. Is this crazy? I haven't tried Snake Oil, and that's one of my biggest hesitations. Any guidance, wise ones?

Hello, leather lovers! I am new to BPAL. I just tested my sample of The Black Rider and I love it! It's so good. But I find myself wishing it were a little spicier (or something?), and I'm considering a blind buy of Snake Skin and/or Pleasures of the Imagination III. Is this crazy? I haven't tried Snake Oil, and that's one of my biggest hesitations. Any guidance, wise ones?

Yay! I'm just about to order The Black Rider... fingers crossed it'll work for me too :)

Working off limited data obviously but I'd say the fact you like Golden Priapus, The Black Rider and Snow White, bodes very well for you liking Snake Skin (& Snake Oil).

Haven't tried Pleasures III but it does sound like a good match for you. Some leather lovers have been having trouble with the leather in the Pleasures' though as it seems to be a new/different kind. Will come down to how that specific leather plays with your skin chem :)

Snake Skin seems to be going down the better of the two on here. Oh and if you do end up grabbing it and aren't sure at first... let it age and retest now and then. Ageing does magical things to both Snake Oil and Leather :D

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

Pleasures III is very heavy on the tobacco and light on the leather when I tested it (and I amp leather notes to the skies). Snake Skin is getting rave reviews, and will probably be easy to re-sell if you don't like it. The Carnival Diabolique collection that's up right now includes a Snake Oil +Leather scent called Western Diamondback that's like a less-sweet/more outdoorsy Snake Skin (like someone took the snake skin and turned it into a pair of cowboy boots) that you might also like.

Other leather-dominant GC you might want to try: Red Rider (very strong brown leather, like a nice leather goods shop), Dragon's Hide (dragon's blood and leather), Iago (leather with black musk and vetiver, like a less-sweet, manlier black rider), and Perversion (leather, rum, and tonka -it was pretty leather-heavy on me).

Can anyone compare the leather in Riding crop to the leathers in Dead Leaves, Raw Leather, Bourbon Vanilla, and Clove and/or Mutant Hot Rodders From Hell High?

Iago is INSANE sharp leather. Dee is a lovely (albeit not as strong) soft leather.

If I find Pleasures of the Imagination I too accurately black leather to be enjoyable (it reminds me of horse riding as a kid), will Nobodies Watching Wrestling not work for me either?

If I find Pleasures of the Imagination I too accurately black leather to be enjoyable (it reminds me of horse riding as a kid), will Nobodies Watching Wrestling not work for me either?

Going back and looking at my review, Pleasures I was pure chemically smelling leather on me. Totally overwhelming and unpleasant to my nose, from wet to dry. Nobodies starts out that way too, but it quickly dries to a much softer, smoother leather scent that I quite enjoy (and I am really picky about leather) HTH!

Going back and looking at my review, Pleasures I was pure chemically smelling leather on me. Totally overwhelming and unpleasant to my nose, from wet to dry. Nobodies starts out that way too, but it quickly dries to a much softer, smoother leather scent that I quite enjoy (and I am really picky about leather) HTH!

That's a big help. That's exactly how Pleasures I is on me too, but I love leather generally so I've been hoping Nobodies would be softer - thanks!

I amp leather, particularly black leather, and Nobodies Watching Wrestling was beautifully balanced between leather and strawberry jam on me. And like LizziesLuck, I found that it got smoother/softer as it dried down.

Hey folks! I'm waffling over whether to blind bottle some De Sade Resurrected. I was not around for the original, but I know it's supposed to be one of those holy grail leather scents. While I love my leather, I've got 2 bottles of SN Riding Crop, and it's hard for me to imagine anything more perfect.

Does anyone know how SN Riding Crop and De Sade compare? Are they different enough to warrant owning both?

Hey folks! I'm waffling over whether to blind bottle some De Sade Resurrected. I was not around for the original, but I know it's supposed to be one of those holy grail leather scents. While I love my leather, I've got 2 bottles of SN Riding Crop, and it's hard for me to imagine anything more perfect.

Does anyone know how SN Riding Crop and De Sade compare? Are they different enough to warrant owning both?

I was not around for the original either. I love Riding Crop but De Sade is definitely different. Riding Crop has more additional notes blended in and is more perfumy. De Sade is much stronger and definitely just Leather. Supple gorgeous leather. I’m happy to have both for different moods but I do personally like Riding Crop more.

~Quintessence of Dust and Jareth~

Edited because Bloodkiss does not contain leather but I recall it having a leather like quality to it.

Edited by Amorphous Red