Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Kimbernunk

Bijoux Y'ha-nthlei

A strangely proportioned, opulent, lustrous scent: neroli, Hawaiian ginger, white musk, tarragon, beeswax, heliotrope, yellow rose, oud, coriander, amber, and lime peel.

Like Okayaki, this smells like *nothing* on my skin, even upon slathering. The difference is that, to my nose, this is also very, very light in the bottle: I get a hint of ginger, but nothing more. Edited by Leopard403

:::BIJOUX Y'HA NTHLEI:::

This fragrance has been beamed down to the Lab by benevolent and aromatic entities! Hooray!

Upon first opening up the bottle of Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei, it was unsettlingly difficult to detect... There was a ghostly trace of an anonymous sort of tartness skipping about, picking non-descript flowers. Further snortings ensued, but yielded not a single result contrary to what had been experienced from the start.

Drat!

Drat and Blast!

After eyeballing the gaily coloured label accusingly for some moments, it was eventually concluded not to pass judgement until the formula had been intimately acquainted with the skin...

Bangerang!

Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei zipped into the room screaming, "Love Me!" with the ferocity of an olfactory supernova. Sensational!

Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei unleashes a vibrant, stunning orchestration of fragrances that peal and reverbate and sets the wearer to swooning as though inebriated.There will probably never be a shortage of utmost admiration and and respect for the surgically sharp skills of the illustrious Mrs. Barrial and the others who have a hand in not only constructing these fragrances, but annointing them with names and associations.

Freakishly genius!

Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei is the yummiest form of Cosmonaut Diva or Boy Toy, Vamp, or Cock of the Walk...The Elevenses of the elements that make this fragrance play SO nicely together! They come together and form these all-new interplanetary hybrids that get inside your head and tickle every last neuron.

The Neroli, Heliotrope, and Yellow Rose are fused together in an alarming state of altered neurochemistry; they are sweet in a way that is hard to reconcile with. It is almost like being temporarily allowed to see with the eyes of a bee... Extra colours and whatnot.

The Beeswax, Oud, and Amber give Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei a depth of hypnotic incense and spice, not to mention the sweetness of the hive...

All of this is poignantly balance with the addition of Pikake, Corriander, Tarragon, and Lime which add the clear high notes and a fascinating herbalisciousness that proves to be as exotic as it is devastating.

Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei is a glorious, show-stopper of a fragrance oil.Certainly unisex; giving a wearer of either gender the advantage of yumminess...

Spectrally, Bijoux Y'ha Nthlei would go extraordinarily well with fluorescents or bright, tropical colours.

Incredible!

Hats off to yet another extraordinary accomplishment by the Lab!

Without question, a 5 out of 5.

On the skin: Lime, neroli, white musk.... A light musk with a slightly soapy hint and some lime. Not too bad, but I am not sure if it is one of my favorites.

This was the scent I was most excited to try out of all the Lupercalia update scents. Ginger! White musk! Beeswax! Coriander! Amber! Lime peel! I love all of these notes. I wasn't sure about the tarragon, heliotrope, yellow rose, or oud, but they sure sounded good too. Sadly, when I put this on, I got EXTREME SOUR ROSE OVERLOAD. Rose and lime. That's all I got. I bet those two flavors would make an awesome sorbet, but I really disliked how they combined on my skin: sharp, acidic...and somehow soapy, too. It reminded me of my bad experience with Manhattan. I got no beeswax whatsoever (sob,) but as it dried I could tell there was an interesting fresh green background behind the rose show. I think the coriander was peeking out. I wish I could have removed the rose with tweezers to get a better look at it. Instead, as all the other notes faded, rose stayed strong. Throw was good, (of course,) but I also applied generously. Lasted about three hours.

Imp: Neroli and herbs and lime peel - even the pith. Kind of cough-drop-esque.

Wet: Pleasant enough in a fresh way; nothing's really leaping out at me.

Dry: Pretty and sparkly and effervescent and gone. Probably good as a spring scent, but not needing a whole bottle. Alas.

Spicy amber floral. Touches of beeswax and rose compliment the blend. After drydown, the amber completely disappears and the beeswax turns into a smoky plastic scent. Too bad. I really wanted this one to work.

I'm not sure how, but if "sparkling" were a scent, this perfume would actually SPARKLE. I was really excited to try this because neroli and rose are two of my favorite scents, and it didn't disappoint. The rose is very soft and subtle and there's an element of something herbal in there without quite being green, and then the dazzling & sparkling that just pulls it all together. Quite thrilled with this one.

As odd as this may sound, to be this scent is in the same family as Velvet Nudie and Clarimonde. They both had this soft, skin musky base, but Nudie was this sweet, robust, sugary version and Clarimonde was the pallid, gaunt, waify vampire version.

To me, this is the golden, luminous, tropical version-that same kind of pale musky base, this time with soft ginger, golden notes like the heliotrope and neroli, grounded with oud and beeswax and amber, with just a touch of muted rose and a zing of lime peel.

The only thing that bothers me about the blend is that it fades REALLY fast. My skin just eats it up!

Edited by Suu4LC

In the imp: mmm, a lemony rose scent with a brush of herbs and neroli.
Wet on skin: surprisingly effervescent honeyed rose. The lime is really strong in here.
Dry on skin: this is really good! It reminds me a bit of Venice, I think…a floral citrus rose with a watery and fruity aspect to it. It also reminds me a bit of something else I can’t quite place…Helena maybe, or maybe Moscow, or Versailles? The tarragon and coriander are really intriguing here; they add a greenish, herbal, and spicy distraction from a scent that’s warm, rosy, yet also bubbly and citrus-y. It almost reminds me of Lush bath bombs-fizzy, flower filled, and warm. I can’t tell if the notes are meshing well or not though, but I like it.
After a while: hmm, I’m not sure. Maybe I don’t like heliotrope as much as I used to? Because this reminds me of Et Lux Fuit now, and I am not crazy about that scents despite the fact that it contains a lot of notes of win…this scent just smells flat and weird and even a bit soapy. It’s lost the warm fizzy and complex scent, the bright lime has burnt off, and even those unusual herbal notes have gone. Even though jasmine is not a listed note, there’s something here that reminds me of it, as well as something that smells like something burnt, or even popcorn (what the?) on me.
Verdict: this one saddened me…its note list had so much potential, so many wonderful notes. But it wound up smelling unimpressive and plain on me, with none of the notes shining out and doing their best on my skin. I liked the beginning when it was a citrus rose, fizzing with colourful flowers and with intriguing hints of herbal spice, a warm effervescence that reminds me of bathing with a fizzy bath bomb full of rose petals. But things that are fizzy tend to go flat, and I’m afraid to say this one does go flat. I’m disappointed as to how something that could have been so good just wasn’t.
Emoticon rating: icon_neutral.gif
Is it a keeper?
no.
If you like this, try: Et Lux Fuit, Moscow, Dolce Stil Nuovo, Two Loves, Haunted Palace, Venice, Versailles

A dry, dusty pink floral scent on me, with just a hint of musk and spice. A very traditional perfume scent on the surface with a hint of sexy intrigue once you're already too close.

Good for wearing: when I feel like letting out my inner sexy librarian. Tell me again how good you are at alphabetizing...

Ok, this reminded me of something and I can't tell what now. This is creamy beeswax and oud and heliotrope and yellow rose on me. Light, and yellow. Sweet creamy floral. The ginger is really light here, offering just a hint of spice. The musk is quite light as well. Nice, but a little too "pretty" for me.

This is very light on me and more floral than I usually wear. It fades quickly to a barely detectable generic floral scent.

Like other reviewers before me, I cannot seem to be able to smell Bijoux Y'ha-nthlei at all, be it in the imp or on my skin.

Given the description, I was imagining something fairly rich and lush, but... nothing. Maybe a whisp of musk if I sniff really hard. Strangely proportioned indeed!

Sharp vintage perfume. Brightening up a bit once on skin. This is really a strong floral but I'm not able to seperate them. Now it is softening up a bit, still floral, just lighter and prettier. Not so heavy now. I still can't distinguish the different notes though.

Later... this is softer but still very floral. It smelled like a ton of flowers hitting me all at once. I'm not really into florals so this one is for someone else.

In vial: Rather faint, misty brightness.

Wet on skin: Soft, citrus-like & dry- definitely neroli & ginger. Hawaiian ginger must be a different beast than the lab's usual ginger note, which makes me sneeze sometimes. Decidedly less tingly, but still zesty. I think I can detect a bitty curl of lime peel on the drydown.

Dry: This is where the magic happens. Smoldering white musk lends an opulent air, flourishing a perfect yellow rose for your inspection. The beeswax, heliotrope & tarragon combination starts to shine, and the smooth freshness swirls over delicate oud & the remaining base notes, coating them in a sweet & silky alloy of celestial shimmer.

Verdict: Going with the description, I can totally envision an alien diadem wrought from otherworldly precious metals. This smells like sci-fi luxury, in one.

I decided to try a decant of Bijoux Y'ha-Nthlei because the notes sound like they could be tropical. But I am always a bit worried about the scents that have a lot of notes because they often just smell kind of vague and muddly to/on me.

In the decant: Hmm, having trouble picking anything out in here. It almost smells chocolatey in a dry, bitter cocoa powder sort of way. I think it's the oud making everything kind of dark and bitter combined with the sweeter notes.

Applied a small test patch, it's kind of faint, so applied a bit more... hmm, there's something in here that's kind of burning my throat! Maybe the ginger. I'm still having trouble smelling much in this test patch. I just put on even more oil (which is a bigger application than I normally put in one area on myself) and briefly got a whiff of what could be the lime, but it was brief.

Still not really sure what to make of this, it's mostly faint bitter wood that smells vaguely medicinal. Either this has weakened with age or I have some sort of olfactory "blind spot" because I'm getting no trace of most of the listed notes. Skimming other reviews, I see that some others have also found this scent to be very faint, so at least it's not just me. :think:

In 2020, this is a dry, yellow scent with some clean musk behind it.  It has very little throw, but is really lovely and soft and I keep sniffing my wrist.  I can smell ginger and amber, but the florals seem to have long faded away.