Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I like my reducers. By bottles of Libra and Titania have them and I'm very pleased. I want to put both these scents in roller bottles because I want to be able to apply more scent. The problem is that I don't want all these extra bottles. Does anyone know if the 5ml bottle caps would be exchangable with 1/8oz or 1/4 caos from The Sunburst Bottle Co? I'm terrible with conversions. Otherwise I'd try the math myself. :P

I know most of you already know this but it looks like the reducers may be gone!

I never got the chance to try them, I may have to buy one at some point, but hey, I'm gonna assume it's for the best for me, because BOTH of my LE's, Sugar Skull, and Snow White, which I just got within the past few days.... haven't had reducers. Just the little nubby things...

Anyone have any good tips for putting it on w/ that but ways to not make a mess? Or to get JUST a drop of it on....? Thanks. :P

I'm looking into ordering caps with wands in them from earlier in this thread, but the company won't tell me how much the shipping is, which vexes me greatly. It's these people; has anyone else ordered caps from them? How much was it, more or less? Thanks. I've got one eyedropper that I carefully cleaned with isopropyl alcohol for my bottle of Samhain, but I've got bottles of Egg Nog and Gingerbread Poppet en route and I'm much too lazy to clean the eyedropper every time!

I know most of you already know this but it looks like the reducers may be gone!

I never got the chance to try them, I may have to buy one at some point, but hey, I'm gonna assume it's for the best for me, because BOTH of my LE's, Sugar Skull, and Snow White, which I just got within the past few days.... haven't had reducers. Just the little nubby things...

Anyone have any good tips for putting it on w/ that but ways to not make a mess? Or to get JUST a drop of it on....? Thanks. :D

I just wet the little nubby thing by rolling the bottle while gently tipping, and then I press the cap on my skin. The nubby thing makes contact and leaves a little circle of oil. :P

I'm looking into ordering caps with wands in them from earlier in this thread, but the company won't tell me how much the shipping is, which vexes me greatly.  It's these people; has anyone else ordered caps from them?  How much was it, more or less?  Thanks.  I've got one eyedropper that I carefully cleaned with isopropyl alcohol for my bottle of Samhain, but I've got bottles of Egg Nog and Gingerbread Poppet en route and I'm much too lazy to clean the eyedropper every time!

I got my wand caps from them, as I recall the shipping didn't end up being too much, under $5, but they do have that $5 handling charge for orders under $50 which is annoying. You could probably call them during the week to get an estimate on shipping.

Since my first order was just placed this past week -- can those of you w/ recent orders received confirm or deny the reducer cap status? I have 1cc syringes and imp bottles that I move my existing 5mls into so I can take with and apply safely, so I'm anti-reducer cap (and my desk agrees, as it's very Samhain-scented right now). So I'd love to find out what the current status is -- and then see about emailing if I need to (whom? no clue) to see if my recent order can be tagged for 'no reducer cap'.

I received an order this week, and it was definately sans-reducer caps. The bottles have the caps with the little plastic nubbin in them, which provides an awesome seal (I can take bottles in my purse without leak worries!) and also is handy for non-slathering applications of the scent. :P

No reducers on my most recently received orders, either.

I just tip the bottle up against my wrist and then rub my wrists together and run them down my neck. Screw contamination, it's the easiest way to get it on heavy enough. :P

I'm looking into ordering caps with wands in them from earlier in this thread, but the company won't tell me how much the shipping is, which vexes me greatly.  It's these people; has anyone else ordered caps from them?  How much was it, more or less?

I ordered from this company and requested USPS shipping, rather than UPS. My order total before shipping was $17.96 (including the small order charge), and I figured out that shipping cost $3.96.

There are a few things that annoy me about this company, besides the small order charge. I emailed them to see if they got my order because I never received email confirmation. No response. Also, they didn't send me an invoice, just a packing slip, so I had to figure out what the shipping charge was from looking up the cost of each item, adding up all the charges, and subtracting it from the final charge to my credit card. :P If they didn't stock items that I couldn't find elsewhere (and believe me, I've looked), I wouldn't do business with them again...

I just use the little nobby thing in the lid. It's long enough to press against my wrists and since most of the oils are very strong, this gives me plenty of scent. :P

I just use the little nobby thing in the lid. It's long enough to press against my wrists and since most of the oils are very strong, this gives me plenty of scent.  :P

Me too, it's usually enough for me. I'm not a slatherer, with the exception of one oil. I with I could have a wand in the bottle cap for Dragon's Milk.

I've been perusing the forums for a couple hours, trying to find the answer to my question, and I haven't yet. I apologize dearly if this has been beaten to death in a different post, but *sob* I just couldn't find it!

As far as I can tell, there are three different basic options to apply perfume: straight from the bottle; mixing it with vodka or perfumer's alcohol to create a spray; and melting some processed (unscented) shea or coconut butter and beeswax down to create a solid perfume base. (I'm not going to get into the myriad of hair products, or lockets, et cetera. :D)

I'm tempted to just apply with a bobby pin straight from the bottle (once I get my bottles ordered..,:P), but are there any problems with this (other than spillage/contamination)?

I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of making a spray or solid perfume, just to screw it up or not like it. I also dislike sprays in general; I don't like all the atomized droplets floating around in the air, that don't get on me!

So is it basically just a "personal preference" decision? Or are there glaring pros and cons to each of the three methods?

So, my first lab order ever came with reducer caps (Fenris Wolf and Whippoorwill), and I've been having a dog of a time trying to figure out the best way to apply.

I've tried dropping onto my wrist (huge drop! Too much Fenris!),

... rolling the edge of the reducer outside ring along my wrist (works well, but for how long?)

... tipping my finger against the central reducer opening and getting some from there (apparently the oil reservoir around the central doohickey retains oil, because I got a slathering there

... and most recently, pressing the top cap (!) on my wrist because I found out oil gets caught inside the screw-part of the bottle and cap.

If anyone with reducers knows the best way to control oil dispersion I'd really appreciate it... I'm still on the fence on reducers vs. nubblies and am going to make a huge bottle order in about two weeks, so I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide if I want to have them reduced or leave them with the nubblies. Personally myself I would feel more nervous applying from the polyseal bottles, as I am a klutz.

I have trouble with reducers, too, for some reason. For me it's normally trial and error since each blend is different in terms of viscosity and strength.

For example, Queen of Spades is extremely thin and dumps all over my arm if I try and use the "tip the bottle and get a drop" method, so if I use that bottle with the reducer on I generally press the reducer up to my wrist and very carefully tip it up, ready to snatch it back once the oil comes out, but with something like, say, Penitence that's heavier, I can tip the whole bottle upside down and not get more than a drop out of the reducer.

So, anyway, rambling aside, what I'm trying to say is that there doesn't seem to be a foolproof method of using bottles with reducers and it really depends on the viscosity of the scent you're using and how much you want to wear. Not much help, I'm sure, but that's part of the reason I don't normally use reducers anymore.

I turn over my 5 ml with the lid tight, put it back upright, open the lid and apply what's on the edge of the bottle. It works!

Caps with wands would be good, but what I *really* want are eyedroppers that fit perfectly onto my 5mL's--I *love* being able to apply on myself with droppers. I've bought some from Sunburst, and they were a little too small (and now I can't recall what size I bought, anyway!). I have assigned one to each bottle to use, but I really want some that fit perfectly so I can just replace the bottle tops with them. Anyone know what size that would be??? My health food store doesn't have the right size, and besides I really liked working with Sunburst. :P

ETA: I found a different thread that deals with this. Never mind!

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

Roller balls are really wonderful, but for those who don't have any or just plain don't like them, I find that q-tips work well. Tear all the cotton off the end (it absorbs too much of the oil, of course) and you're left with a nice sized wand that gives you a fair amount of control over how much you want to apply.

Two questions:

What is a reducer???

and

Those who use bobby pins, does it do screwy things to the oil? I can't find a plastic swizzle stick, and I have loads of bobby pins I don't use.

A reducer is a little plastic insert that goes into the top of the bottle. The insert has a small hole, so you can control the amount of oil that comes out.

I personally wouldn't put anything metal into my oils, but I guess it really wouldn't ruin it.

Two questions:

What is a reducer???

and

Those who use bobby pins, does it do screwy things to the oil? I can't find a plastic swizzle stick, and I have loads of bobby pins I don't use.

here's what I recently came up with - I went to the dollar store down the street and bought a little baggy of those plastic toothpicks - I can dip it in the oil with no contamination, and I have one pick rubber banded to each bottle. Not the most elegant, but it only cost me $1!

I've been using pipettes for oil transfer. They're plastic and 12 for $1 at lemelange.com.

They work well and are cheap enough that I can toss them. They would also work for application. At that price you could have one for each oil.

I've been diluting the oils w/ perfumers alcohol and putting in a 4ml spray bottle so I don't have application issues. Lemelange also has these little spray bottles.

Joan

I just, with the cap on tight, turn the bottle over and then swipe my finger along the rim of the bottle once I remove the cap. Repeat if necessary. :P

I do the following:

1) hold wrist against bottle and tip, then lightly touch wrists together

2) press finger against bottle, tilt, brush neck with fingertip, and hair ends with last of the oil.

Voila, me scented with BPAL. :P