Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I, too must slather. And people do not complain about me. But the way I would like to apply the scent from the bottles would be to get naked, pour it into a wading pool and roll around it it kicking my legs in the air!

A fellow slatherer! I :wub: just sit here with my eyes pinned at descriptions of these tiny applications. :blink:

No kidding! One drop from a reducer cap on each wrist is enough?! My skin really absorbs it too.. because I do not have a cloud of scent following me around-- even though I kinda wish I did. During my period especially the scent is gone in like 1 hr. I reapply a few times through the day.

Average amount for me to use at one go during morning application is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an imp. Am I a bad person?? :lol:

Better yet, I'm starting to wonder if I'm the same species as some of you delicate creatures who gingerly dot it on while it lasts for eons. Aging oils...that's a good one. One imp would do me for a day if I'm lucky. BPAL must love me.

I guess I fall somewhere in between. I don't use that much of an imp, but I do use more than a little dab. My skin eats up scent, as well, so even my most potent stuff is totally gone within 3-4 hours.

With the ones that I buy to keep (i.e., the ones I know I love and thus have multiples of), I apply straight out of the bottle to my wrist. I love the reducer caps... I need more of those. I'm always living in fear of dumping out a favorite oil on my desk. :ack:

For trying, I cleanly test with the little plastic stirrers, and sniff really quick, since it dissipates fast.

A fellow slatherer! I :wub: just sit here with my eyes pinned at descriptions of these tiny applications. :blink:

No kidding! One drop from a reducer cap on each wrist is enough?! My skin really absorbs it too.. because I do not have a cloud of scent following me around-- even though I kinda wish I did. During my period especially the scent is gone in like 1 hr. I reapply a few times through the day.

Average amount for me to use at one go during morning application is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an imp. Am I a bad person?? :lol:

*lol* Not a bad person at all. I'd say I'm about in the same space as you. Not only has no one ever complained about a scent being too strong, but I almost never have anyone even mention a scent I'm wearing unless I shove a wrist under their nose. I wish my skin didn't absorb the scent like it does.

*lol* Not a bad person at all. I'd say I'm about in the same space as you. Not only has no one ever complained about a scent being too strong, but I almost never have anyone even mention a scent I'm wearing unless I shove a wrist under their nose. I wish my skin didn't absorb the scent like it does.

Well, I am starting to feel a bit better. Sort of like going to a support group and commiserating with other sufferers. :lol: I was beginning to wonder if I was alien spawn or something. Now, get ready for one of the delicate creatures to post soon about how one dab lasts on them from sunup to sundown and fills an entire stadium with their scent.

~snip~

I almost never have anyone even mention a scent I'm wearing unless I shove a wrist under their nose. I wish my skin didn't absorb the scent like it does.

ditto

unless I'm wearing something that's particularly strong on me, or I have just come from slathering I don't get any comments unless I ask, "hey how does this smell?" and offer up my wrist for inspection.

I even asked my mom (who is prone to migraines and would be the only one in the house who would be bothered by my scents) if she could smell me or to tell me if I was overdoing it. She told me she couldn't smell me and enjoyed it when I asked her to sniff me from time to time. So yeah, my skin eats oil as well.

Wanted to put this up as a new topic, but it's not letting me, saying I don't have permission... :evil:

Anyway, I read that scent lasts longer on certain personality types. Seems generally that the more high strung, emotional/nervous types seem to burn off scents faster then the calmer, low key types. I'm curious as to the people here and how this may apply.

Wanted to put this up as a new topic, but it's not letting me, saying I don't have permission... :evil:

Anyway, I read that scent lasts longer on certain personality types. Seems generally that the more high strung, emotional/nervous types seem to burn off scents faster then the calmer, low key types. I'm curious as to the people here and how this may apply.

If that's indeed the case, I am an anomaly. While I'm not high-strung, I am prone to nervousness and overemotional...ity? Being overemotional. ;)

I use three dip-swipes of an imp (one on each wrist, one on my neck) on average, and careful dabs on my wrists, neck and sometimes collarbone from bottles, which usually lasts me several hours.

It does vary from scent to scent, of course, but I get a good 15-20 uses out of an imp, easily, and each use will last at least three hours. I understand that everyone's different, but I personally could never use even a tenth of an imp at once.

Fascinating angle to take this from, Gael!

I suppose that one could call me overemotional and I suppose nervous could at times describe me pretty well. I'm not sure about high-strung... *shrug* As I said before, my skin eats oil fast! some things are particularly strong and last for a while (Misk. U. to name one...) but most things need slathering and at the very least one re-application during the day.

I suppose that one could call me overemotional and I suppose nervous could at times describe me pretty well. I'm not sure about high-strung... *shrug* As I said before, my skin eats oil fast! some things are particularly strong and last for a while (Misk. U. to name one...) but most things need slathering and at the very least one re-application during the day.

Well, sounds like me and there might be something to this theory about personality types and the connection with how they retain scent. We must just burn it off!

It's an interesting theory, but I also must be an anomaly (seems to happen to me with a lot of theories!) as I tend towards anxiety, and perfume can last and last on me.

Maybe some people just are able to smell it better on themselves than others?

Or the theory could have more to do with body temps? Hotter people cause more evaporation?

I tend to have a lower than average body temp. Anyone else?

In answer to the original question, I turn the bottle upside down with the lid on, remove the lid, and shake(not touching lid to skin) out a drop/two, not much anyway, and that avoids contamination and also does both wrists. I do not put bpal on my neck after an OW, it burns, it burns incident the other day! I'd originally tested everything on my wrists, but this was something I was keeping forever and wanted a little extra power to, but fine on wrist, burning on neck :(

Hehe :lol:

I get pretty big drops out of those reducer caps, mind you!

I also don't tend to go for the light ephemeral scents...I'm big on the Dorian and Snake Oil and the like. I usually feel like if I put on any more initially, I'm drowning everyone around me in a big noxious cloud of BPAL. I'd say they should feel privileged, but I'm afraid not everyone may agree :rolleyes: Hence, I choose to re-apply instead of slathering initially.

~snip~

I almost never have anyone even mention a scent I'm wearing unless I shove a wrist under their nose. I wish my skin didn't absorb the scent like it does.

ditto

unless I'm wearing something that's particularly strong on me, or I have just come from slathering I don't get any comments unless I ask, "hey how does this smell?" and offer up my wrist for inspection.

I even asked my mom (who is prone to migraines and would be the only one in the house who would be bothered by my scents) if she could smell me or to tell me if I was overdoing it. She told me she couldn't smell me and enjoyed it when I asked her to sniff me from time to time. So yeah, my skin eats oil as well.

Finally! I though it was just me! The scent of every oil I've tried always seem to disappear after 30 mins to an hour. Just today I had a friend take a sniff but even with his nose pressed to my wrist there was no scent. :blush: I've yet to slather myself with oil but I may have to try that. Also, the suggestion of placing a drop behind the knees.

How interesting! I tend to think of myself as low key/unemotional, but then, I do tend to anxiety, am a bit impatient, and am a a very fast talker... I'm not someone whose skin eats scent in 30 minutes (except certain scents - Severin, I'm looking at you!), but I also put a lot on: upend bottle onto finger, swipe on the two pulse points in my neck, another upend/swipe, dab on base of throat, left & right collarbone, another swipe, back of hand, wrist, and inner elbow, another swipe, other hand/wrist/elbow. Sometimes I then do the back of my neck or my cleavage. The only times anyone's commented on my perfume have been when I've just put it on (my husband, my mom), or when I've got into a warm car with someone!

Body-temperature-wise, I'm always hot rather than cold, which you'd think would amplify my scent? Perhaps I burn it off more quickly?

How interesting! I tend to think of myself as low key/unemotional, but then, I do tend to anxiety, am a bit impatient, and am a a very fast talker... I'm not someone whose skin eats scent in 30 minutes (except certain scents - Severin, I'm looking at you!), but I also put a lot on: upend bottle onto finger, swipe on the two pulse points in my neck, another upend/swipe, dab on base of throat, left & right collarbone, another swipe, back of hand, wrist, and inner elbow, another swipe, other hand/wrist/elbow. Sometimes I then do the back of my neck or my cleavage. The only times anyone's commented on my perfume have been when I've just put it on (my husband, my mom), or when I've got into a warm car with someone!

Body-temperature-wise, I'm always hot rather than cold, which you'd think would amplify my scent? Perhaps I burn it off more quickly?

Sounds like you fit in the category of those that don't hold onto scent. I am similar to you insofar as I also tend towards anxiety and can get impatient. I'm also a major worrier. The theory is that our sort of personalities (and it can encompass other personality traits but the idea is we're not the most calm, stable and/or low key types walking about) do in a way, "burn" it off. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions as there are in all matters, but from what I read the research shows a definite correlation.

I apply the oil with a q-tip that has the ends cut off, a little oil on each wrist and on both sides of my neck. I have to re-aply after two or three hours as my skin seems to eat the scent and it doesn't have any throw after a couple hours. I would rather use less and re-apply it often.

Even if I know I'm keeping a bottle I use a q-tip because I don't want to contaminate the oil, but if it is a favorite "keeper" imp then I'll use the plastic wand. I plan to get empty imp containers and fill them from my (few) bottles as imps are easy to use.

I'm not a placid person but not really wound up either. I do get nervous and have a good bit of anxiety but somehow I've gotten used to it and am more easygoing now. Maybe my scent will last longer as I get less and less anxious?

Edited by Myrrha

I've been testing my imps using toothpicks, one side, then if I want to apply more I turn the pick over and use the other side. Then I put the toothpick in a drawer to smell it up a bit! :)

I apply the oil with a q-tip that has the ends cut off, a little oil on each wrist and on both sides of my neck. I have to re-aply after two or three hours as my skin seems to eat the scent and it doesn't have any throw after a couple hours. I would rather use less and re-apply it often. Even if I know I'm keeping a bottle I use a q-tip because I don't want to contaminate the oil, but if it is a favorite "keeper" imp then I'll use the plastic wand. I plan to get empty imp containers and fill them from my (few) bottles as imps are easy to use.I'm not a placid person but not really wound up either. I do get nervous and have a good bit of anxiety but somehow I've gotten used to it and am more easygoing now. Maybe my scent will last longer as I get less and less anxious?
When you figure out how to get less anxious, please let me know! :lol: Think of all the money I'll save on thse oils!
I've been testing my imps using toothpicks, one side, then if I want to apply more I turn the pick over and use the other side. Then I put the toothpick in a drawer to smell it up a bit! :)
Toothpick.......I'd need a log!

I never thought of that but I am definitely in the running with a bit of a hot engine category. I actually have a slightly higher body temp at all times and am definitely tightly wound. With department store perfumes, I definitely got feedback on smelling good which means that other people could smell what I was wearing but no complaints or mandates to wear less or no fragrance. I actually like the BPAL experience because it seems more personal. I have only ever had someone notice what I was wearing right after I applied it. The rest of the time I am aware of it but nobody else seems to be which is fine with me. It seems more like a part of my internal mind. And of course if someone gets really close to me which is fine. I also use unscented hand lotion and add BPAL to it before rubbing it in throughout the day. Lotion seems to definitely amplify the fragrance and lock it in so it lasts. I do this a couple times a day sometimes with the fragrance I am already wearing that day and sometimes with complimentary BPAL. I work in a cubicle and can smell my hands and keep my brain stimulated. :lol:

Fellow slatherers may want to take note of the lotion tactic. It really helps me to use less.

I was using a thin crochet hook, but it used too much oil. So, now I use a straightened out paper clip. I know it sounds funny, but it's the perfect size and it can be wiped or cleaned off and used again.

I'll use a cocktail stick/toothpick when I'm testing out a new bottle, but when I know a bottle is staying with me I'll tip it upside down (with the lid on, of course!) and run my little finger around the inside of the lid before dabbing it on. I consider that slathering, but I can see I'm not quite the slatherer I thought I was!

Do people find that their skin condition affects how long it lasts, so that when their skin's a bit dry, BPAL goes away quicker? I'm 95% certain I've heard this as a theory before, to add to the personality type/body temperature debate..!

I wonder if the specific oils we are using could account for some of the difference between people who slather and people who dab. When I posted that I only needed a little dab of oil at a time I was wearing a lot of Blood Kiss, Blood Amber, Lilith. Those are quite strong scents. When I tried Inez and Sudha Segara lately I was shocked how much oil I needed to get myself to smell good.

Edited by Myrrha

I wonder if the specific oils we are using could account for some of the difference between people who slather and people who dab. When I posted that I only needed a little dab of oil at a time I was wearing a lot of Blood Kiss, Blood Amber, Lilith. Those are quite strong scents. When I tried Inez and Sudha Segara lately I was shocked how much oil I needed to get myself to smell good.

That makes sense to me - my faves are generally lighter (I'm not an incense/resin/heavy musk fan), things like Alice and White Rabbit and Antique Lace and Dorian. When I wear Glowing Vulva, I have to remember just to use teeny dabs or it will be crazy!