Jump to content
Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jizatt

Snow Scents!

Recommended Posts

Hello!

 

I've been talking about this in some other threads but haven't gotten any answers.

 

This year I tested Coquelicot Snow & A Lady Tall and White from last years post update. I love them and they did not give me a headache

 

HOWEVER

 

I got a lot of snow scent from this year's Yule update and so far all the ones I've tested have given me a headache ( Snow White, Nuclear Winter, Frau Holle ). Is the difference that the post used a different snow note, or do you think it could be that the two I liked were aged for a year? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait a year and retest the rest I have or go ahead and swap. Also, if you have any insight as to which scents have the death snow note and which don't, that would be appreciated!

 

There are at least three different snow notes used by the Lab and the Post: sweet, ice/ozone, and minty. See my posts about these notes from Dec. '14 in this same thread. :) Some folks have mentioned a spicy snow note, but I'm not sure of any scents that have been ID'ed w/ that note. I'll bet that one of the three snow notes may be the culprit, alas.

Share this post


Link to post

The "sweet" snow note, like the one found in Snow White, does not agree with me. I get somwhere between a headache and downright nausea. However I adore the other snow notes, especially the ozoney ones so I really have to pay close attention when the reviews come in to see how the scent will play out with my chemistry before I go for it.

Share this post


Link to post

The Glimmer of the Northern Lights, the Yellow Flowers of the Greenland Summer has one of the snow notes, or at least very winter-y feeling, it feels like a Yule to me, such as Ondurdis, or Ice Prince, or The Snow Maiden, or Yellow Snowballs, or The First Soft Snow, or Cloister Graveyard in the Snow (but no mint in 'Glimmer'!).

Share this post


Link to post

A revival as I anticipate my first possible Yule purchase(s)!

I'm from the Chicago area and looking for something that reminds me of dusk on a chilly  snowy day in the middle of winter, but isnt piney (I'm from the suburbs, no woods!) or super minty. I do want a bit of sharp/chilly air type smell, though. I know Snowflakes Are Delicious is inspired by snow in Chicago, but I don't feel like coconut is fitting. 

I'm new to BPAL and havent tried anything with a snow note and I'm not really sure what BPAL snow will smell like. Any recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post

I find the Yule LE Nuclear Winter to be very minty. I haven't sniffed my bottle in ages, but I don't remember any woods. Do check reviews, though. SO that's not for you. 

There are several snow notes. Will reply more.

 

Edited by thekittenkat

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/14/2014 at 6:24 PM, thekittenkat said:

There's three snow notes that the Lab seems to use. There's the minty note, the sweetish note, and the icy/ozone note. These ideas are based on not only my own experience w/ the snowy notes, but much that I have read here on the forum.

 

This is a WiP.

 

The sweetish snow note for sure shows up in Snow White--to me, it's almost like a sweet coconut scent. Others say that it's like vanilla, as in The Waltz of the Flowers (which also has lot of mint). Go To Sleep, Darlings is in this category and Pink Snowballs.

 

Skadi, Ice Queen, and Onoduris all have some of the minty note in them to various degrees, but not hugely so. Nuclear Winter has always been a blast of the minty snow note, for me, but w/ some ozone as well. Cloister Graveyard in the Snow is also very minty and so is Braving the Ice. Like Brooms of Steel is very minty to start with. The Garden in Winter and Colder and Colder are minty as well.

 

The Lick It series is always peppermint and vanilla, so it's like two of the snow notes in one bottle. I love this series, and so does the bf. :)

 

I get the icy ozone note in Countess Dolingen of Gratz, one of my fav snow scents ever, even if it's a Halloweenie. :) Also in Purple Snowballs, Autumn and Winter (very sharp), Black Ice, A Cold, Clear Day, and the 2010 version of Midwinter's Eve.

 

There's scents where the ozone and mint notes seem to combine: Moon of Ice, Death-Fires Dancing Over the Tombs, Cloth of Gold, Numb, and Yellow Snowballs.

 

The 2010 version of Winter-Time was a morpher and had all 3 snow notes!

 

Almond Blossom has a little of the ozone note and a tiny bit of the sweet snow note.

This should be of help abt the 3 snow notes that I'm aware of--hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, thekittenkat said:

This should be of help abt the 3 snow notes that I'm aware of--hope this helps!

Is there a snow note that is heavy on an evergreen note?  Or is it just that many of these scents have both elements?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, sprout said:

Is there a snow note that is heavy on an evergreen note?  Or is it just that many of these scents have both elements?

I suspect the later is correct! 

Also, there's been mention of a spicy or resin-heavy snow note, but I have never ID'ed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, deadlyves said:

A revival as I anticipate my first possible Yule purchase(s)!

I'm from the Chicago area and looking for something that reminds me of dusk on a chilly  snowy day in the middle of winter, but isnt piney (I'm from the suburbs, no woods!) or super minty. I do want a bit of sharp/chilly air type smell, though. I know Snowflakes Are Delicious is inspired by snow in Chicago, but I don't feel like coconut is fitting. 

I'm new to BPAL and havent tried anything with a snow note and I'm not really sure what BPAL snow will smell like. Any recommendations? 

The snow note that I think best matches what you're describing (from what I've tried) is the 2016 Art of Winter scent Tres Riches Heures du duc de Berry . To me it is very crisp and cool but not minty. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, roseus said:

The snow note that I think best matches what you're describing (from what I've tried) is the 2016 Art of Winter scent Tres Riches Heures du duc de Berry . To me it is very crisp and cool but not minty. 

Thank you! I just read some of the reviews, and it definitely seems like a contender for what I'm looking for!

Share this post


Link to post

I really have been enjoying "cloister graveyard in the snow" and am wondering which one of the labs snow notes it uses, and if there are any scents with this note that y'all love!

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/5/2018 at 3:00 PM, clockworkcrypt said:

I really have been enjoying "cloister graveyard in the snow" and am wondering which one of the labs snow notes it uses, and if there are any scents with this note that y'all love!

 

 I don't have an answer, but would be interested in knowing as well since that one comes up a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, deadlyves said:

 

 I don't have an answer, but would be interested in knowing as well since that one comes up a lot!

 

In my big post above where I discussed the 3 snow notes, I noted that CGitS has the minty snow note. HTH! 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, thekittenkat said:

 

In my big post above where I discussed the 3 snow notes, I noted that CGitS has the minty snow note. HTH! 

Ah pbth! I read your post twice without noticing it!

Share this post


Link to post
×