Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Cake Smash

Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting against a backdrop of Snake Oil, Dorian, and Doc Constantine!

Totally saddened by this one. Smells like lovely Beaver Moon 05 in the bottle. Enough to be all right with getting rid of my bottle. However, after not even 5 minutes it totally disappears to nothing but... pencil shavings afterwards. A little bit like Intrigue. No pine, (for god how I hate pine) but nothing sweet left. Barely anything at all, actually. I just smell a bit earthy. Would have been all right if I could even get a hint of Dorian or Snake Oil, but the closest I get is the slightest bit of Doc.

Bottle: Caaaaaake. And cream cheese frosting. Flashing back to Beaver Moon '05!

Wet: Sugarrrrr. Frosting. Diabetes on my wrist. Warm nutty cocoa undertones starting to come out.

Drydown: Huh. Very complex and sweet; I don't have enough familiarity with Dorian, Doc or Snake Oil to really identify which of them is at work here, but it's something a little woody and resonant with a fluffy sugary overlay. I would love to try this in a scent locket, too. Yum.

In imp: rich, almost buttery cake scent

Wet: reminds me a lot of Eat Me, the same sweet foodie scent

Drydown: Now I’m seeing the difference. Eat Me was plain sweet, Cake Smash is more like cake mix.

Later: Bit of a spicy smell comes out to give a bit of a kick to the sweetness. Seems to last a bit longer than Eat Me, but the two are very, very similar.

I've been looking forward to this one for ages. Cake scents are my favourite.

In the bottle: Cake and creamy frosting

Wet: Dense, slightly spicy cake

Dry: Tea and frosting

I'm assuming the tea is from Dorian. I'm going to have to get hold of some of that- it's spot on and really unusual.

I Love Cake Smash! :wub2:

And my patients do too. I'm vaccinating a lot of people this year and they all asked me what do I have on me (instead of screaming about how long is my needle. Works great every time! I'm going to get more bottles.

Cake Smash is delicious. In the imp,it is all delicious vanilla and cake, with lovely frosting. I put it on, and as it dries down, a wonderful spice is added to the mix.

It really is absolutely drool-worthy, and doesn't turn plastic on me as some cake/vanilla scents from BPAL do.

On me, it is very very like Arcana's Adoration, though, so I don't need to get a bottle as I already have a bottle of the Arcana scent.

In bottle: Much as described. It is cake with a decernable cream cheese frosting component. The snake oil is easily discernible as well, with the rest providing a mild back drop. Wet: Oh wow! Now I’m really annoyed my bottle got stolen out of the mail1 This is lovely in it’s complexity. The cake is quite pleasant, but the snake Oil, Dorian, and Constantine come out beautifully as it warms. It’s rich and wonderful, with the cake and the Snake Oil going particularly well together. Dry: It’s reminding me of cotton candy now, though weirdly, the frosting is still showing though. It’s quite fascinating and unusual, rather soft.

In Bottle: sweeeet, cream cheesy buttery cake. The scent of a childs dream of a birthday party.

Wet on Skin: More complexity shows up, with the spices from SO coming through. Makes me wonder how well this will age...mmm.

Drydown: Good throw! It wafts in warm clouds of fresh baked, mildly spiced, homemade velvet cake with decadent frosting, with tea in beautiful Victorian cups and saucers.

It has very good staying power. I slept with it on and I can still smell it! (10 hours)

Edit to add: this scent always makes me think of little Lilith with her cake, surrounded on her birthday by people who love her -Beth (represented by the S.Oil), her "Dorian Grey" Ted, the "Doc" Brian Constantine.

Edited by Amoraexcena

I took a chance with this one, since cake scents usually just turn to straight up blue cheese on me, but OMG YUM. This is exactly like Closet without the super sweet berries. There's a hint of blue-cheesiness and plastic, but that's mostly drowned out by the delicious, fluffy vanilla cake. I don't really smell much Snake Oil, Dorian or Doc Constantine, and to be honest, I'm GLAD for that, since my body chemistry no longer plays nicely with those scents. I think this would layer wonderfully with Montressor as a substitute for Closet. Nrgh, so good <3

In the bottle: Red sponge cake and vanilla icing? Except, I have the icing all over me, so it is dominating the nose. Whoops.

Wet: Holy cake-batter batman! Spicy, spicy cake batter. Like someone said "No more boring flavours! We shall have spices! Add spices!" And now it is cooking in the oven, but I still have batter all over my hands.

Dry: This is smelling like something more than cake. I can't quite put my finger on it but there is a very strong, very creamy vanilla with a whole lot of other spices just underneath. Very sweet, quite divine. I want to lick my wrist.

A while later: Well, it could be cake I guess... but OMG ICE CREAM. Melting ice cream that has gone all warm. Oh! I get it! Someone put the ice cream on the cake! And the spicy cake is soaking up the melted ice-cream. YUM!

In the bottle - A tiny hint of frosting and a touch of snake oil, but very, very faint

Wet on me - A soft hint of cake, the main player is the snake oil with a hint of something woody that I assume is Doc Constantine

Dry on me - Cakey snake oil; it's like snake oil with the sweetness intensified

Overall - I like this a lot. My only concern ins that as it ages the snake oil might over power the cake

In bottle: Crushed carrot cake which has been wiped up and cleaned out.

On me: I am so freaking happy I tested it before putting it away because the first bottle sniff did not do it justice. It is sweet as sugar at first, but after 5 minutes it start smelling perfume and not food. I enjoy sweet scents... But this is everything and then some.

In the bottle it really reminds me of Beaver'versary with just a subtle touch of SO/Dorian-Don't notice Doc so much.

VERY similar to Beaver'versary on my skin. The Dorian comes out quite a bit more as well and a bit of the So spices. There's also a sort of dry/dusty feeling to this-maybe from the Doc Constantine...

Honestly, this is just too similar to Beaver'versary for me to feel like I need a bottle. For a while on my skin I got more of the non cupcake/cream cheese note (as well as a dust note), but on drydown it really is just sooo similar to Beaver'versary on my skin. I feel like I can probably recreate this by layering (which is a good idea actually, heheh) to get a better balance for my skin!

Om nom nom nom! I smell like a freakin' bakery, and I love it :D

How does Beth do it? This smells EXACTLY like cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Even the soft, milky-sour tang of the cream cheese is just perfect. As it dries down, some of the sweetness tones down and it is a softly spicy, smoky vanilla. This scent is win for me.

Snake Oil has spoiled yet another blend for me; I think at this point it's safe to call it a "note of doom." On me, Snake Oil makes any blend super medicinal. It always starts out fine. Cake Smash, at first, is delicious spice cake on me, akin to what I was hoping Eat Me would smell like. It doesn't smell foody, however, and I think that's due to the SO/Dorian/Doc C hanging out in the background somewhere. The longer it stays on, however, the more the cake scent dissipates in favor of something that's somewhat spicy and medicinal. Oh, hi, Snake Oil. Bah.

Just got this in a swap and wasn't sure how I'd do with a foodier scent since it's kind of hit or miss these days. I really liked this one! The SO and Dorian (and presumably Doc C, although I haven't tried it to I can't attest) do something to keep this from going way over the foody edge for me. It is sweet and beautiful without being overpowering or cloying. I'm not sure I got the frosting, but I am definitely happy with this one nonetheless!

Snake oil does not play well with others. This smells so good in the imp, but as soon as it touches my skin, snake oil annihilates every other note in this blend. Doc constantine and dorian are first to go, as I can't make them out at all. Then the yummy cream cheese scent dies a quick death leaving.... snake oil, whose spiciness is slightly tempered by a faint scent of cupcake hanging on for dear life. Which still wouldn't be so bad, except every time I wear snake oil it ends up smelling like playdoh.

Sigh. This does smell amazing in my scent locket, complex, sweet, creamy yumminess. As long as it never touches my skin. :(

Smells very much like Beaver Moon 05 to me, also a little like Closet. Definitely getting the cake and the frosting - very foody, sweet, and creamy but not overwhelming or cloying.

Deeper and more complex - I get the Dorian and Snake Oil now, though lightly, and something a little piney and smoky - maybe the Doc Constantine? It's very different and much more sophisticated on my skin, though still very sweet, still foody, and quite heavy in feel. On my skin the Dorian is the strongest of the backdrops, then DC, then SO. This is good because I dislike SO.

Fading very very rapidly and I accidentally overslathered this one. I have to nearly shove my nose into my arm to get much of anything at all. Less sweet and foody, and more resiny. I'm getting that strong vanilla note distinct to Snake Oil and a bit of that red musk/resin feel from same, but lightly. Dorian sugared vanilla tea is still going strong.

Eeek. The cake note in this is going a bit musty/plastic on me, although the good news is that I can smell the cream cheese frosting more now - I think it's amped by the vanillas & sweetness from the SO and Dorian. Definitely the best & most specific 'cream cheese frosting' blend I've smelled. If only the cake note were more present.

Snake Oil slowly, insiduously amping over time - this is almost not even foody anymore, and seems to be constantly morphing on my skin.

Yeah...not my cup of tea. :(

The cake notes on this don't actually come out until dry-down for me. Upon initial swipe, it was all soft woods and snake oil. The Cupcakes weren't as pronounced but the soft tang from the frosting was there. The cakes get more pronounced as the cake dries, and the snake oil and the Doc lift it up and ground it. I'm not a big foody person, but this was a nice surprise and I'm glad I got to try it (and not hunt down a bottle!)

I have very weird skin chemistry, and it seems like nothing smells on me quite like how it's supposed to. Except Cake Smash. I get wonderful, mouth watering, red velvet cupcakes. There's a very faint powdery edge after I've had it on a few hours, it's like the cupcakes turned into dry boxed cake mix, but it's very faint (a lot of scents go very powdery on me). Even so, it's really awesome.

I bought an imp of this because when I heard there was a RED VELVET scented BPAL out there, I had to try it, being a foodie and all, and red velvet cake is my #1 fave.

I was in love with it at first, it smells just like yummy cream cheese frosting! It was very strong on me though and although I loved the scent, it started to turn sickly sweet - way too sweet, and I tried to wash some of it off. I soooo wanted this one to work on me!!

I also had the same experience with Cupcake Splatter Pattern Analysis, it smelled good at first then got nauseatingly sweet.\\

**EDITED to say that as long as I don't put a lot on, it is really yummy and stays that way. :) :) :)

-Melanie

Edited by glitterlips

I didn't really expect or want to like Cake Smash, and initially I didn't. Wet on my skin it's pure Snake Oil. I guess to say I don't like that is misleading, because I love Snake Oil, but I have an awful lot of Asp Viper and I love Asp Viper and I don't need more Snake Oil, so this was swap material for the first few minutes.

Then it dries and settles a bit, and now it's Snake Oil with cake and frosting. And . . . it's amazing, ahhh. The two aspects of this (I'm not getting the Dorian or Doc) balance each other perfectly so that it's not overwhelmingly cakey on me but also isn't all Snake Oil. It's the perfect blend of both, like cake and spice and vanilla and cream cheese. Wow. I didn't want to want a bottle of this, but oh, I do. XD If I can find one, it's definitely a bottle purchase, because it smells so delicious. Two notes which are normally overwhelming on me (but both of which I like) in perfect harmony. I am very glad that this isn't just Snake Oil on me like Womb Furie was, although that might change as it ages.

Cake Smash = Happysauce!

In the bottle = a bit like Beaver Moon, yet with a bit of smokiness.

Wet - buttery frosted cake and tea.

as it dries I get the spices of snake oil and warmth of doc c.

Much more complex than I imagined. Very well blended!

Super Delicious!

Good throw and lasts for hours!

This one is absolutely in the top ten (with a zorro snap!)

7/14/10: Predominantly warm vanilla frosting. I know when I first got it Doc was right up there with the frosting and I loved it, but with age he's receded to the background :( Boooo

One of my faves! This is very similar to Beaver Moon, so if you love that, this is for you! Sweet red velvet cake goodness, for sure...