Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

The Queen of Hearts

Lily of the Valley, Calla Lily, stephanotis and a drop of cherry.

This one was a frimp, and it and I are not friends. I didn't think we would be.

In vial: Sickly sweet, artificial, and STRONG. Like a vial full of maraschino cherries. Yuck! Possibly the one fruit I *don't* like.

Wet: The cherry disappears, leaving... old lady perfume. It's very much department store counter.

Dry: The cherry is back, faintly. It's not an improvement.

Final verdict: Yuck, yuck, and more yuck. I'm glad it works for other people, but not only is it not me, it smells awful on me. I'm trading this off for a partial decant of Midwinter's Eve. I can't WAIT to get it out of my house. QoH gets a resounding :P . Edited by Shollin

Ack... Cherry cough syrup! :P and not in a good way...

I don't get any florals in this at all, just sickly sweet, sugary fake cherry candy, or cough drops.

I was afraid of the cherry in this. Cherry and I don't always get along well, and I HATE HATE HATE the smell of maraschino cherries and cherry cough drops. Ew. But I got this as a frimp in my last order and decided to give it a go. The lillies are by far the most prominent notes on me, sweet and clean. The cherry is just barely there, backing up the florals with a little bit of juicy tartness. I could definitely wear this often.

Frimp luvn' from karikazo!!!! Feel the love back at ya girl! :P

In the bottle: grape(???) or cherry cough syrup.

Wet: grape/cherry cough syrup, real sweet, super strong.

Dry down: cherry syrup, but softening to a floral. Uh oh, florals and I tend not to get along. When with their obnoxious super sweet fruity friend, I tend to get kick boxed and my wallet stolen. They leave and let Grandma powder kick me while I am down. This doesn't bode well.

30 minutes and over: Hold on, this started off IFFY. But, this has turned into a very lovely, clean, not old lady, not too soapy, soft scent. I think I like this a lot! OMFG, a floral I can wear! Surely this is a sign the world is ending. :D

Conclusion: Just like Alice, or Sara from the movie "Labyrinth," never take anything for granted. Or in this case, never take a BPAL scent from Beth and labbies for granted. I might have to get a big bottle. I say maybe, because, I don't know how often I would reach for it being a floral. I will enjoy this frimp and any others of this that should happen to come my way, definitely. Hmmm, *sniffs wrist again,* ok this goes on my list of big bottle in the future. :D

Edited by atropos

Ladies and gentleman, behold the amazing Miss Cherry, as she transforms into... SUPER SOAP! :D

Soap, soap, soap, that's all I can smell!

That's crazy, really.

I've had other blends end up taking a soapy tone (why, hello, Nemesis!) - but turn into pure, unadulterated soap? There must be a note in there that doesn't agree with me, but I can't see which one.

I'm amazed as to how this is possible at all!

Verdict: ...... soap? :P

4/10 on me. Don't like the s... yeah, that :D

*First Review Ever!* :P

Thanks to the lab for the frimp. I know I never would have ordered this and I am thrilled at free smellies!

In the vial: This is very sweet, cherry candy sweet. Very red. In fact, I don't get any white at all. I think I am gonna like it!

On skin: The cherry is still what stands out for me. I love it! It does calm down a bit and I think I am getting some florals--it is clean and bright. I love fruity smells and the cherry in this one is really lovely.

Conclusion: I can see why this is called the Queen of Hearts. I am wondering if Beth decides on the name of the oil first then mixes it up, or decides on a formula then smells it and names it...because for me, this smell encaptures a queen: haughty, bold, beautiful, and RED(like a heart!) I am only disappointed that it doesn't last long for me. I feel like I have to reapply often, so I don't think I would invest in a 5ml but I will definitly keep the imp!

I tried very hard to test this, but I can't give it a proper review because either the stephanotis, cherry or Lily of the Valley hates me and gives me a headache. It's probably not the calla lily trying to hurt me, since the actual flowers don't hate me. And I'm reluctant to blame the cherry since I love the way the fruit smells, but fruit scents are so light naturally... Since lily of the valley is a bulb, I suspect it. An awful lot of bulbs hate me *sigh*.

So yeah. Headache. Just daubing it on myself and taking a sniff left me and the creature with headaches for the rest of the day.

Kalli

at first: lily and a bit of cherry.

on: sweet cherry and tons of lilies. gorgeous!

half an hour later: lilies. lovely.

1.5 hours later: slightly soapy.

2.5 hours later: slightly sweet lilies. beautiful.

overall: very pretty, but i have other sweet lily scents i like more than this one.

As with most blends with cherry in them, this is pure cherry cough syrup on me at first. Overwhelmingly so. I just don't do well with cherry. However, as it dries down the lily starts to come out, thankfully beating down the cough syrup smell and becoming a somewhat haughty, fruity floral scent that would be perfect for springtime. I just have to remember to hold my nose for the first five minutes or so!

Wet: Mmmmmm… this smells rosy to me, with a little drop of something warm underneath…

Five minutes: A beautiful light floral – still smells like rose to me, but I’m not sneezing yet…

30 minutes: Arrrghhh! Gumdrops again! Odd how this keeps happening… Clearly there’s some lovely floral note that smells like roses to me, but changes on my skin to gumdrops.

Drat! This was really pretty for about fifteen minutes.

I've been desperately wishing to try The Queen of Hearts from the moment I read her description for the very first time, &I finally got the chance due to all the awesome of miss quikslvr. :P

This one smells at first like delicate maraschino cherry & soft, white flowers. On, the cherry quickly fades, &the scent morphs into a clean, almost soapy scent, but sweet & floral as well. And almost wet? Mmmm, the longer it is on, the more luscious & lovely it becomes.

It is not at all how I would imagine the Queen of Hearts, &it is different from what I expected, but it is absolutely beautiful for me! Haven't quite made up my mind on if I'd like a big bottle just yet (I'm thinking yes!), but I'm definitely - &happily! - using up my imp. :D!

I was afraid The Queen of Hearts would be all lily-of-the-valley, which always turns to soap on me. And I don't much like lily-of-the-valley even before it becomes soap.

But The Queen of Hearts surprised me, mingling light florals and sweet cherry in a completely pleasing and gracious way.

My husband thought it smelled "gentle." I will definitely use up my frimp and keep The Queen of Hearts in mind for a full bottle order in the future.

The cherry scares me, but the flowers sound good, so I'm pleased to give the Queen a chance. Actually, this is fine on me--there's a mild cherry-almond note, but nothing too syrupy. The florals are difficult to distinguish from one another, but there's a soft lily sort of scent--definitely white flowers. The whole thing fades really fast, though, so although the Queen of Hearts was clean, mild, and pretty, she didn't have enough staying power for me. Off with her imp!

This is going to be a short review for a short perfume. Here we go!

For five seconds: Cherry.

For three minutes: Rosy floral.

For half an hour: Soap.

After that: Nothin'.

Ta daaaaaa! Probably won't wear this again. Thank god it was a frimp.

Lobster Rating

Better than: sleet

Out of the bottle: This is cherry coke to me right now?? :D

Wet, on skin: Ok, cherry, but florals are coming out to play.

Drying: It's going a bit soapy in the way that florals often do... :P

Overall impression: Don't love it, don't hate it. I'll keep it for comparison purposes.

Edited by jakey

I like this, but not as much as some of the other scents I have.

Starts off as a fruity floral, but the fruit fades quickly, and now, 2 hours later, I'm left with the barest whiff of clean, white lilies...

I'm enjoying this, and it's light enough for me to wear to work on a regular basis without feeling like I might overwhelm someone (I work in a doctor's office, and while we're not scent-free, I try to keep it light.)

In the bottle, and freshly wet on the skin, the cherry is most prominent, sweet and juicy. Once it's on my skin, the florals come out and soften the scent with powdery white.

As it dries, though, the florals change into a strange scent which makes me think of the beach more than anything. I can only assume it's the lilies; Seraphim did something very similar. The cherry lingers in the scent, making for a very odd combination, not one I really care much for.

A surprising love, to be honest. I didn't expect to like it, but I actually really do. The cherries are obvious, sweet and lush on my skin. Lilies come in to soften it, creating something very red and vibrant and tarty that I'm surprised to find I love.

it is weird to read that there is cherry in this, as I totally got NO cherry in mine! WEIRD. :P

for me, this was a soft floral... but it went a bit sour (i assume that is the lilies). This scent did not like me, unfortunately... ah well.

This is one I'm surprised I haven't tried yet. Then again, I rarely order imps, so I guess leaving it up to chance to smell a specific scent is taking a slim chance with fate.

Wet: floral-cherry. This is mostly floral, but not overwhelmingly so.

Drydown: Lily overload! The lilies smell a little like canned air freshner--that "floral garden escape" type of scent. I am just not a huge floral-scent lover. The cherry's appearance isn't very strong in this scent, which is unfortunate, because I love the note.

After a bit of time, the flower notes become a little less cloying, but they are still a bit too sweet & soft & pretty for my tasts. This reminds me a bit of Titania, which I also found to be too light & floral. If you like flowers, this might be up your alley, though.

Queen of Hearts is a gorgeous, floral and feminine scent. The cherry note is very strong on me, especially when wet, but as it dries, the lily notes dominate, and the cherry is merely a backdrop for the lilies. It has what I generally call a "round" scent -- meaning, it's incredibly smooth and symmetrical, and there are no sharp or offensive bits about it. Unfortunately, it sticks very, very close to my skin, and while my skin smells pretty when sniffed up close, I don't even know I'm wearing the fragrance unless I literally stick my wrist in my face. And even then, it disappears on me within the first hour. It disappears even more quickly when applied to my hair. Today, I am wearing Queen of Hearts in a scent locket and am having much better luck with the throw and staying power, although it's still a fairly subtle scent. But it's pretty, and for the past 7 hours I've been catching lovely wafts of cherry-drop lilies around me. If it had a touch more throw and better staying power on my skin, I would say this is a five out of five. As it is, I don't know yet if I will or won't buy a full bottle of it since it fades so quickly, but I'll definitely be procuring another imp of this at some point in the near future.

Heavily floral, the stephanotis makes it heady and the cherry is lovely but the lily of the valley keeps hinting at soap. She hasn't won my heart at all.

In the vial: cherry blowpop. :P

On the skin: Ohh much better on then the vial. I really never go in for cherry things, and they usually dislike me. The two lilies have overpowered the cherry and turned it into a nice, sweet scent. Very nice. I've had a lot of luck with the MTP collection and it seems I can add yet another to the list! :D

Bottle: cherry cough syrup.

Wet: lilies are awakening, but the sharp edge of that cherry still lends a medicinal feel

Dry: the cherry has backed off quite a bit, I'm relieved to say, but that calla seems to be doing The Lily Thing.

Later: ever expanding lily. yep. darn my amping, anyway.