Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ondine

How Doth the Little Crocodile

Chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar.

I did a few tests today and this was definitely the winning and the strongest scent, reminding me strongly of Spooky with the vanilla and mint, with only the faintest whisper of other scents. I adored Spooky and have regretted selling my old bottle. I'mma pick up a bottle of this.

Wet: dry oakmoss leavened with chocolate mint.
Dry: I mean it's essentially a sweet vanilla-minty scent so it's a winner for me. It's quite nice and it has hella throw. Very like old Spooky!

Edited by storme

Started off as Andes Mints, dried down to pencil shavings (even my husband agreed).

Total fail.

This was one of my surprise imps in an order, and I was super excited for a chocolate peppermint scent that I didn't even know about. Oh man, what a ride this one was.

In Imp, on wand: Nutty, chocolatey, peppermint goodness! Could be a solid gourmand scent with some depth from the oakmoss and cedar (very dominate)!
On skin initially: Mmm chocolate, mint, hit of pistachio and sudden amping of wood???? I'm guessing that's the cedar.

Wear down: Uhm, wow, I feel like a fresh sharpened #2 pencil with a hint of sweetness that's either the chocolate or vanilla. The mint is...somewhere. I'm not upset but I wasn't expecting to suddenly turn into cedar shavings.

It faded fast on my wrist but still cedar/oakmoss strong elsewhere. That only mellowed out finally towards the end of my day when the vanilla/chocolate and pistachio peek through again... All the scent notes still read true to what they are, just cedar dominates. It feels a little musty, which may be the oakmoss?

It's really unique but I do wish that it was a little more foodie and less cedar-y. Thought I'd like a bottle but this imp will be plenty, maybe another imp later on.

In the bottle this smells sharp, but on my skin the crocodile transforms into a fun cuddly oakmoss blend. On application, the sharp note disappears after a little while and I smell a lot of mint and nutty vanilla. The mint fades away very quickly and the oakmoss and cedar join to make this a fun gourmand/incensy woods blend. Usually my skin amps oakmoss but in How Doth the Little Crocodile it is balanced very well by the other notes. I do not get pencil from this blend, thankfully.

I don't know about full sizing this because the opening sharp note makes me wary, but it's neat that I found an oakmoss perfume that I like!

Instantly reminds me of Schrödinger's Cat, which makes sense, as that is another chocolate-peppermint-oakmoss blend. And similarly... not a fan. I think I prefer to eat chocolate and mint together rather than smell like them. Plus the rest is all oakmoss and cedar, neither of which are winners for me.

i'm willing to rest this and try again in a couple of weeks but out of the mail it smells like mint chocolate pencil shavings... 😓

i'm not surprised because cedar tends to not work for me but i was hoping the moss would be stronger since its green cedar..? i have no idea i just know that i don't like it. glad i smelled it thought because i'm starting to suspect cedar may be a deathnote for me. i've yet to experience it not go complete pencil shavings or hamster cage on my skin. also, as much as i love gourmands, chocolate isn't really one of them and mint chocolate kind of smells like toothpaste. i rather get my chocolate as a mocha or mint from candy canes. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Chocolate peppermint and an exceptionally cologney oakmoss. I can pick out the cedar if I try, and it really is a green cedar, freshly cut and seems to have attached itself to the oakmoss. I never get any pistachio. Unfortunately, while it's extremely cool to me that I can smell the chocolate peppermint (my skin likes to eat mints), this is too discordant and cologney for me. Glad I got to try it though.

I didn't have the BPAL scent notes nearby when I was trying this out, and absolutely no memory of them (this definitely isn't an imp I picked out for myself - got to love samples for pushing my boundaries!). My scribbles reflect being incredibly baffled by what I was experiencing. To quote myself exactly: "Andes mints? With some bit of warm spice behind it? Maybe a touch of eucalyptus? Idk man, not for me."

So, most definitely some chocolate, peppermint, and something more chemical. Maybe it's that cedar, or maybe the oakmoss? Either way, I'm now glad to see I was neither going crazy with what I was picking up from the blend, nor was my skin chemistry doing something really out of left field.

Warning: this might make you hungry. I wore it the other evening, and got up in the middle of the night to eat a mint chocolate chip Klondike Bar. 

This is not a nose-tingling mint scent. The pistachio is actually the strongest note on me initially, supported by creamy chocolate mint, and the cedar gains power over time. At its peak, the cedar ventures into pencil territory, but only briefly. I love me some oakmoss, but it's buried deeply here (it did greet me the morning after, all by its lonesome).

I really dig this cedary gourmand, possibly even more than Tombstone. I'll definitely keep my imp, but will need to make sure I've had a full meal before slathering!