Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

This is a surprise, as I really thought, I wouldn't be able to wear a milk and honey perfume.

I won't do a proper review, just wanted to say, that this is a lot like Gypsy Queen light, with the blueish grey candle smoke being replaced by a beige-white-golden milk and honey.

It also reminds BNever's Keep it Fluffy perfume. While I didn't wear KIF well, Alice seems to work. I'm still afraid, the milk and honey might turn sour/off on my skin, but so far, everything's just fine.

What I get is a sweet, fizzy and a bit sparkly creaminess. The rose in here is fresh and pure, the carnation slightly spicy, and the bergamot citrussy fresh. Everything layered above that honeyed milk base.

It's indeed very curious, very girly. I like it. :P

This was pretty, yet such a dissapointment for me.

I was hoping for sweet rosewater pudding (Milk and honey plus roses? Yum!)

Instead I got 'Loves Baby Soft'.

A rich creamy version that leaves the scent I remember from Jr.High school a little flat, but Loves baby soft just the same.

I tried this on my niece, and with her body chemistry the roses bloomed softly, and it was lovely, but on me the honey and milk just go a little wild.

Ah well...

In the imp - Sweet, but with a spicy kick from the carnation

Wet - Very pretty - my skin plays up the carnation more than anything, but the milk and honey balance it out underneath. Can't detect rose, which is good because rose doesn't usually work on me. Nicely balanced overall.

Dry - Sweet, but with a definite spice. I like this a lot. It doesn't take on any "little girl" perfume like others have found.

It's a floral that likes me! On my "get a bottle" list :P

I didn't get any milk and honey, so I was a little disappointed. But the rose, carnation and tang of bergamot are really lovely - that is, until it dries down - then I get something that reminds me of how old ladies smell :P - well, old lady perfume anyway.

I will keep trying since I fell in love with the description and really want this to work!

I tried Alice fully prepared to like her. I wanted to like her. The description is so lovely. And I had to try her quick, because she was one of half a dozen imps in my most recent order whose caps just snapped on me.

But my skin turns sweet Alice into aged baby oil - thick and cloying and not at all what I want to smell like.

Poor Alice. I'd swap you, but your head is broken.

On first whiff, this is creamy, milky carnations. As it dries down, it gets more powdery, and yes, it does smell like an old lady to me. This is pretty in an old-fashioned kind of way, light, dry and feminine, but sadly, not for me. I am in love with roses, and was hoping to detect the faintest trace of it in Alice, but I didn't.

Alice - If you're familiar with LUSH's Ruby Red Slippers bubble bath bar, then you will know exactly what Alice smells like -- it's Ruby Red Slippers in a vial. For me, that's a dream come true! I don't get any of the "milk and honey" notes in Alice. All I get is the rose, carnation, and bergamot. I think the bergamot mimics the tangerine note that LUSH uses with rose and carnation for its Ruby Red Slippers scent. This is delicious. Floral and spicy, and I feel like I should be able to lie down on a bed of roses and carnations spritzed with citrus juice and just roll around in it and soak up the experience. Instead, I can just take a Ruby Red Slippers bath (since I've got at least a dozen bars stocked up in my bathroom!) and then follow it with Alice, and I'll be a happy camper. Unfortunately, while Alice lasts a good long while, it doesn't have much throw when on my skin. I will see if it does better in a scent locket, as some of my favorite BPALs do.

Bottle: milk and honey and carnation at first sniff, I can faintly detect the rose behind if I really work at it.

Wet: bergamot apparent, now, and the other notes are lined up in a balanced, creamy sweet floral. light and very feminine.

Dry: the creamy sweetness is mainly what I get, I do tend to amp honey..but at least it's not turning ick on me as it sometimes does. No more floral apparent, but it is still light and very girly.

Later: faded in record time. which is fine, it's not mine, I just wanted a try. :P

(This was bought for Emma, her review is: "I like it. It smells like flowers...can I go outside and water your flowers when I get dressed?" [note that she turned her nose up at Marie and a lot of other florals of mine she's sniffed (especially rose), so this is a surprise hit!] [also note that her meds hadn't completely kicked in yet, this was a classic ADHD moment. A teen with it told me this joke once, and it so typifies my experience with Emma on one level: "How many kids with ADHD does it take to change a lightbulb? Let's go ride bikes!")

This is such a strange one on me. I love it in the vial. I can pick out all the notes, and the combination is delicious. Just sweet enough, just floral enough, just creamy enough. But on my skin, something goes a tiny bit off. Suddenly, it's too sweet and there is a strange jarring combination to the notes. I generally have uncomplicated skin chemistry, but this doesn't work. I think I would like it very much on another person, and all the people who have mentioned that it would be great on a little girl are absolutely right.

I ended up adding my imp to a bottle of dilute, unscented Dr. Bronners and it's absolutely perfect as a bath product for me, just not as straight up perfume. I'd love it if the lab released Alice lotion or something like that.

I was kind of disappointed about Alice because I don't really smell milk, honey, or rose. It's actually sort of smells like spiced cake (is this the carnations doing?) with an undertone of floral. It's nice but it's not "me".

giving this one last test before it gets swapped away...

red roses and condensed milk. sounds like it'd be yummy... but... it just isn't. not on me.

there are other roses that are better, and i'll take a milkbath if i feel the need to smell of milk.

never got any bergamot or carnation, either of those might've helped bring this back down into the realm of "maybe".

alas, no Go Ask Alice for me. but that's okay, she's got enough people that love her, and my imp is going to a better, more appreciative home.

Source: Imp

Initial Impressions Was attracted by the milk and honey label! Sounded like a comfort scent of sorts.

Bottle: Very sweet. So sweet in fact, I was wondering sugar had been somehow left off the label. There’s a vague creaminess underlying it and I think I can smell the rose. I think. It could just be the description coming back to me since I keep coming back to the milk and honey.

Wet: Sharp, but blunt sharp. Quite sweet and I’m curious as whether it’ll sour on my skin or not since it has milk in it. :P Am pleased to note that the sweet scent lingers and very, very slowly, the rose and carnation bleed through. Weird, since it feels like a milk-fed garden.

Drydown: Oh, oh, yummy. So delicious; the flower notes fade into an accompaniment in the background and there’s this lush, creamy sweetness that makes me think of a baby, but without the powder this time. I was a bit apprehensive and worried that it would powder up like most sweet scents, but this one had no powder scent for me, which is nice.

Dry: After a few hours, it’s faint on my wrists. I can still kind of smell the stuff from my neck area, but they’re like one inch beneath my nose, so I’m not too surprised. The throw is fairly weak and it doesn't last anywhere near long enough. Gorgeous stuff, though.

Overall: Will probably get a 5ml since it would work something special as a babysitting scent.

In the vial, Alice smells to me like milky Earl Grey with a lot of honey in it, along with a rather strong almond note. Once I apply it, my skin quickly eats the foody elements, leaving me with a soft Rose Milk lotion-smelling drydown. That evaporates pretty fast too. Maybe it's the weather, but Alice vanished on me faster than any other BPAL I've tried.

This is a lovely, fresh innocent scent. I like the rose; I like the creamy powdery undertones...I basically like everything about it. It's a little too innocent for everyday use, but beautiful and well-composed and original enough to buy the full bottle. I recommend it for days when you want a lightly sweet and ever-so-slightly spicy scent.

Okay, picture that scene from the third season of Gilmore Girls, the dance marathon episode, where Kirk is running around the gym after the twenty-four-hour dance, holding his trophy up, and they're playing Rocky, I think?

Okay, a couple of hours ago, that was me, with my imp of Alice.

In the bottle: ...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I smell the milk and honey, all right. Something a little cinnamony...that's the carnation...and I don't know what bergamot smells like, but if it's really in here, then it smells GOOD.

Wet: A little more carnation, oh god please don't go Psycho violins on me like you did in Euterpe---ahhhhhhh, no worries.

Drydown: Oh God, this is the best thing I've ever smelled. Signature scent, y'all.

Oh god cute. The middle child of one of the families I nanny (this one's four boys, please kill me now) just came up to me and went, all shy, "Miss Eva? You smell pretty." He's four. Maybe I don't hate him now!

in imp: OOOO! Smells sweet and makes me want to get near it. mmmmmm...

on wet: sweet and rich, with something---perhaps the carnation---underneath. Interesting and lovely so far...I have to wait a while and see if this one turns on me...

Dry and after a few hours:

This has great balance, and is very pleasant...Fresh and clean. But I am still getting a little tiny "soap" note that I am not sure I want. Maybe the combo of the rose and milk? I'll have to ponder that.

Much later: too soapy on me. off to the swaps. not quite what I was after in the end.

Milk and honey base, yum. Hint o' rose, huh. Wish there was more. Carnation, yay! Bergamot, DOMINATES. Ugh. Apparently my skin loves bergamot, but unfortunately I love milk, honey, rose, and carnation more. I was really looking forward to Alice. Oh well. :P

In the imp: Whoa, an intensely orange bergamot, with the honey and milk lurking in the background. I can just barely pick out the carnation. No rose at all.

Wet: An initial burst of bergamot, honey, carnation that then fades into a creamy, sweet blend (the milk coming out, I assume), with the spiciness from both the carnation and the bergamot tempering the scent.

Dry: Alice has faded down to mostly carnation for me, but it's a sweeter, creamier, more soothing carnation than the one in Maiden (probably due to the foody oils in this blend).

Overall: Lovely, refined, yet girlish. Unfortunately, my skin tends to turn Beth's milk notes sour at certain times of the month, which means I'll probably be using this oil more for enabling than wearing purposes.

Alice is pretty much a straight carnation scent on me. It's spicy, but the other notes temper that spice making it a little sweeter and smoother. I get no rose or bergamot in this though. It's nice, but I don't think I'd reach for it too often. I'm keeping the imp though. :P

Alice seemed like dry (maybe the bergamot?) rosepetals on me and didn't stick around very long. Although rose scents are not my faves, Alice is up there with Othello as good 'uns.

In the Imp: Spicy and strong. No hint of honey or milk.

Wet: Hrm, I don't know if this is going to work, it smells sour and strange. Almost like what happens when fruit scents go bad on me. Almost like sour milk.

Initial Dry: A nice spicy floral, but not overly rose (I like rose scents and I can barely detect this one), it must be the carnation. It's nice, I guess, but I don't usually wear florals except for rose and violet.

Drier Dry: There's this tea room here in Seattle called Queen Mary. And my wrists now smell remarkably reminiscent of it. The floral is very subtle (I can pick out the rose now) and it smells very much of earl grey tea with milk and honey. *swoons* I think I'm in love with a new scent! I wouldn't describe it as "girly", but certainly foody. I love the honey on my skin--it's got the scent without being cloyingly sweet. I'm definitely buying a bottle to wear and an extra imp to make bubble bath with!

The Downer: It doesn't last very long on my skin and if I want it to last all day, I have to reapply it and suffer through the initial wet strangeness.

In bottle: Smells like tea roses, with a little something -- probably the milk or honey.

Wet: Soft floral. Just flowers, no honey, no milk. Not exciting, but well, innocent and sweet. Husband liked it as he kissed me goodbye and got a whiff behind my ear.

Dry: Okay this is odd. Left wrist, I smell roses, roses, roses. Right wrist? I get the honey and the milk. I think that's a first for me -- where my wrists split the notes. Either way, it's a nice scent, if faint. But then again, on a hot summer's day, I don't WANT an overpowering scent, so it's a good choice for mid to late August Virginia heat.

The way the different notes shift and then re-combine differently in this scent is incredible. In the bottle it smelled like a combination of rosewater and almond extract. The initial scent on was honeyed and rich, but not at all sickeningly sweet. It was lovely. Then the spiciness of the carnation came forward to dominate for a little while. It was almost peppery. After that the milk and rose started up and now, a few hours in, the honey and rose are strongest. I've had a number of other rose scents go hideously wrong on me, but this one is lovely and doesn't make me smell the least bit like old pot pourri. I just feel good while wearing it.

Ooooooow......I love Alice more than I thought I would :D

This is so well blended on my skin that not one note really stands out.....I can detect every note because I know what to sniff for, since I have the description right in front of me, but I have to concentrate on each note to find it.........if that makes any sense... :P

What more can I say......a lovely blend Alice is :D

I really like this. It's very comforting, although I don't know if I would wear it out. The florals and the milk and honey balance nicely. I can't smell roses at all, but then on me roses smell like really strong soap, so that's a good thing. It's a very sweet, creamy and relaxing blend.