Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Milk and cookies! Very girlie and sweet, warm with a touch of spice, vanilla and citrus. As it dries it unfortionately turns sort of plastic and "flat", a scent that reminds me of a shiny, slippery, cream coloured plastic surface, and at the same time sort of powdery. Ah, no matter, I'm going to give it away anyway, I'll wish the new owner better luck.

Oh honey, why are you my nemesis! I can see why so many people love this- the milk, carnation and bergamot are wonderful- but my skin amps honey too much. If you can at all wear honey this is one to get.

Scent in bottle: I'm mainly getting honey, carnation, and bergamot. A nice clean tea-ish sort of smell.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Citrus-honey-floral.

Dry -- Clean milk and honey and a fruity-citrus floral background.

Conclusion: Honey plus florals evidently are my friend. Mmmmmm.... Definitely a keeper. It's feminine but in a nice sweet way, and isn't too floral.

First Sniff (in the imp): it smells like these lemon sugar cookies I make to eat with tea. Very sweet and lemony, but not in an offensive way. Looking at the description, there's no lemon in it. Weird.

Wet: It smells similar on skin, but less lemony and more spicy-ish. It still is a very innocent, lovely smell. :P

Dry: I really like this scent. It is a pretty floral, without being too sweet. The only problem I have with Alice is that my skin sucks it up. No throw whatsoever. I am contemplating getting a 5mL, but I'm not sure yet.

I have to say that Alice is definately my favorite of the 9 BPAL scents I've tried so far. I got it as an imp and two weeks later I had to order the largest vial I could.

At first sniff it smells like flowers and powdered sugar; a more pleasant combination than I was expecting. Like many others have said, you end up sorting through memories of childhood tea parties with dainty china you swiped from your mother.

When I put it on I was, as my name implies, delighted. It smelled so delicious that I worried others might take a bite out of me. I assume its the milk and honey that gives the perfume that powdered sugar finish. Whatever the case, it blends perfectly with the tea and florals.

It always cheers me up when I'm at work and I turn my head and get an unexpected whiff of it. A liquid antidepressant for any lady with a sweet tooth.

I really tried to like this one, I thought for sure that with milk and honey that I would adore it.

In the bottle it smells very baby powdery and when wet I have to concentrate really hard to sniff past the baby powder to even get a hint of honey.

Drying, I can smell mostly carnation with some rose in the background; it's still pretty baby powdery. It's disappearing on me quickly, I applied maybe an hour and a half ago and it's faded into almost nothingness.

All in all, it's a very dainty fragrance - I can't say I match that description. It kind of smells like a doily looks; very delicate, feminine and pretty. I can see why it's a favorite, but it's not my cuppa.

In the vial and wet on my skin, I am channeling Dana O'shee but with a end not of bergamot - this is beautiful!

I am very surprised as this dries down. I keep waiting for the rose note to rear it's ugly head and ruin it all for me but it never does. I think the rose is combining with the milk and honey to make a very nice base, with the carnation and bergamot the less subtle notes the make this POP!

Completely dried down, I am able to get a *very* subtle rose hint but not a full blown rose that usually ruins oils for me that contain rose. The whole oil blends very nicely.

Alice is a very innocent girlie scent. I wish it had a bit more throw but then again, maybe it will when I apply it all over instead of a dot on my wrist. The wear is pretty good too. I have to say that this is definitely going on my bottle list!!!

Surely I tried Alice before? But perhaps I simply sniffed, passed, and dabbed it on my daughter who was the Alice-curious one.

So today I did daub some on: immediate rush of sweet and spice; reminds me of shortbread cookies and tea and a touch of cloves (the carnation, perhaps).

It's nice; not very intense (I am favoring intensity these days) but I have a good history of carnation fragrances.

Lasting fairly well, there is a slight waiting to be debauched flavor to the innocence of this scent (which, alas, may make this just a little too sweet and young for my long term use). It brings to mind a dewy, slightly sweaty 14 or 15 year old on a summer's day, thinking not fully innocent thoughts of some older guy.

It's a very white and pink sort of fragrance.

I love Alice! The rose is ever so soft, the honey is ever so sweet, and the milk makes it all creamy and lovely... Plus the bergamot is divine. It has just the right dash of spice to make this interesting, but still very understated. I love this. It is absolutely comforting and gorgeous. It lasts fairly long, but it doesn't seem to have good throw. I may need to apply more generously.

I wasn't sure about this one -- the first time I smelled it, I thought "ew, ew, sweet!" and put it back in my little storage box. Then I dug it out again...

In the imp: Hrm, it's not as sweet as I thought, but it still smells like sugar cookies.

First swipe: Oh, okay, that's not so bad... Smells of... vanilla? Oh, and there are some roses somewhere *way* over there.

Dry down: It actually dries down like a very mild cousin of Snake Oil (which is good, because I think SO is too strong for everyday). I can *just barely* smell the roses, if I get *very* close to my wrist.

This lasted about four hours on my right wrist but is still going strong at 14 hours on my left (because it's under my watch). Right now it smells *very* vanilla, although I'll admit to having a faintly stuffy nose, so I'm probably missing a lot of things. I do like it, though.

I'd bathe in Alice if I could!

Sweet, milky Earl Grey with pink tea rose and carnation. Very, very soft and light and youthful; I wore this with my leather jacket and combat boots to soften the rough tomboy edges. Though the throw is very light--definitely a second-skin scent--staying power is wonderful, lasting from early morning science lab through an early evening coffee and long walk. It begs others to get closer, but in a friendly way rather than a lecherous way.

Tea isn't listed as an ingredient, but I'm definitely getting a hint of good darjeeling or oolong along with the bergamot. I'm not smelling Beth's usual honey note; rather, it's more like sugary tea. The sugar smell is light, though, rather than cloying or sticky, and seems to travel the most; I have to lean in closer to get the florals. This is everything I want in a rose smell (tea rose defies my skin's tendency to turn rosse into powdery antispetic soap) and the carnation lends it a slightly spicy depth.

I ordered a 10ml unsniffed and I'm so glad I did, though I may have to order a second 10ml because I can see this going really fast (it's very light and I'm a slatherer).

The world would be a much happier place if everything smelled like this. Alice is the antidote to feeling jaded.

Fresh on wet, Alice is absolutely lovely -- sweet, creamy rose (carnation?) water.

Within minutes, the scent morphs into something vaguely perfume-y topped off with spices off of the kitchen rack. My skin drinks stuff right up! It's barely there. I'm tempted to recite what I remember from the Alice monologue I prepared when I was twelve or thirteen for my Speech & Drama monologue, because this sccent really does evol Carroll's Alice -- the disagreeable, eager, impetuously curious and self-important little girl.

I'd give this to a little girl, yes, but not because it's fairly mild and nice -- I'd be doing it to hook her into nerdism and snark while she's young. No cutie-bootie, "You'll be wearing Britney Spears's fragrance next!" over here!

I wore Alice on a bus ride down to the Mahaneh Yehuda market in Jerusalem, and the whole way there, it continud to morph -- sometimes smelling of creamy milk and rose water; sometimes of a gentle, toned-down perfume; sometimes of something lightly milk and honey-ish, and always very nice.

It's not a favorite, but I do like Alice. :-)

From the bottle: Definitely sweet and foody smelling~ that must be the honey.

On: Still sweet, but there’s a strong spicy note coming out that’s covering it~ the bergamot, I suspect. I’m not too fond of the spiciness. I can smell rose as well.

Later: The spiciness has almost completely faded away, and I’m left with a gorgeous scent that smells like roses dipped in honey. Sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

Verdict: That spicy note bugs me, but as it fades away over time, I think I’ll be keeping this one. I’ll just have to put it on earlier in the day so that I’ll smell like roses and honey for more of the day.

This was a spicy girly scent with a powdered undertone. Not suitable for me in the slightest.

In the imp: Spicy, a bit sharp (the carnation, maybe?) with a kind of sickly sugary note to it. It kind of scared me.

Wet on skin: Still a spicy, sharp floral note to it, but the honey is starting to become pronounced. It's a very strong scent -- a little nauseating, the floral's a little TOO sharp.

Drydown: Wow. Okay, this is now absolutely gorgeous. The sharpness has COMPLETELY vanished, the scent has settled down into a very, very milk-and-honey cloud. The honey is really dominant on me, it took me a moment to really be able to smell beyond it -- but it's beautiful, mellow and sweet. Very innocent, definitely. Gentle. Makes me want to go out and by floaty pastel skirts. The milk is definitely there, it's a nice sugar-sweet note to give depth to the honey, and the floral is just barely there in the background. Very powdery, it's a really clean scent.

Six hours later: I still smell like it. Wow. This doesn't have a lot of throw, but it is certainly keeping a lovely, subtle scent to me. The honey was pretty-but-dominant most of the time, but after a few hours it settled down a lot to a really sweet, gorgeous mixture of milk and honey. Just divine.

I've never been innocent and dainty, but I love how this makes me feel. The powdery cleanness of it is wonderful. I feel warm and like I want to play in the sunshine. I had a terrible day, but getting a whiff of Alice every now and then raised my spirits immediately. I think I may have to get a 5mL of this, I can't see that imp lasting too long!

In the bottle: Very sweet, quasi sickly milk, honey and I think bergamot.

Wet: Bergamot and carnation coming out over it. It smells sticky.

Drydown: Carnation, milk and honey, mostly. After a while the milk/honey combination comes out very strongly, with added slightly plasticky spice from the carnation, and the vaguely citrusy scent of bergamot. I don't get any rose whatsoever...

Overall: It's very sweet and innocent, and yes, a bit curious. I'm not a bergamot lover, so that note really doesn't work with me, and neither does the milk. It's... pink. I can't describe it in an other way than a gentle creamy pink scent, with a slightly spicy side.

The honey/carnation blend really pops out at me at first.

5 minutes into - the rose has finally come out and melded with the honey to produce a sinfully sweet concoction.

It's like Alice hitting puberty.

Alice is definitely more carnation than rose on my skin, but the two florals blend together wonderfully, almost seamlessly; the milk and honey make for a soft overall feel, and the bergamot adds a subtle citrus tang that keeps it from being too frilly. Lovely -- I can understand its popularity.

But it's so light! And it fades so quickly on my skin! This is my problem with these quiet girly scents -- do I get a bottle and slather, or do I just get a couple of imps to stick in a rollerball for when I feel demure?

I'm leaning toward the latter right now.

Oh lovely.

Wet:

Vanilla and milk and a floral of some sort or another. I was eating oatmeal at the time and they smelled almost exactly the same.

On the drydown:

Still milky and sweet, with a powdery sort of smell. The rose is there, but its a nice rose, not headache inducing like a lot of perfume roses. I have no idea what carnation or bergamot smell like, so they might be there.

A keeper. Definitely.

Oh, Alice. I loved you in the imp - you were all soft and girly and pretty. Definitely milk and honey.

About 5 minutes after I put it on, it was still milk and honey, though I was starting to get the hint of baby powder.

And 5 minutes later it had all gone to baby powder. :P

I'm going to keep the imp I have though - I have hopes that this will work better in a scent locket than it does on my skin.

This was one of the first scents I ever tried and decided to order a bigger bottle of it once my imp ran out.

Sweet and just barely innocent, above claims that it's familer to fans of Burt's Bees Milk and Honey and Kama Sutra's Honey Dust all seem true. I like to wear it for days when I plan to try and get away with something.

Most common compliments I get while wearing it never seem to involve the perfume but always claims such as "You're so sweet" and "Aren't you a nice girl?" It's oddly startling if you're not used to people calling you those names. :P

I definately recommend this for those looking for a purely girly scent.

This scent is to me like watching a little rosy cheeked toddler run towards you just beaming. The joy can't be contained in any vessel. It just spills out like light.

powdery, milky, honey powder. It's very nice.

I'm probably never going to wear it, but then again, it's my daughter Alice's, so it's a moot point.

If I had a baby, I would put this on it's clothes!

ETA: It is so funny, re-reading this review. My 13 yr old daughter loves to wear this as a soothing scent, every day these days. Trying to hang on to her fleeting childhood?

ETA: 11 years later, Alice still has her bottle of Alice, but doesn't wear it. She let go of childhood...

Edited by urbanruralferal

On me, Alice is all sweet, slightly powdery florals, and something else vaguely foody (I presume this is the milk). It's sweet and warm, though bergamot gives a slightly citrusy edge.

Overall, too sweet and "little girl"-like for me, but I imagine that this would be lovely on the right person.

Alice

first sniff: soft and sweet creamy floral.

tested wet: afternoon tea in a secret garden....sweet with extra cream please.

tested dry: less cream and more floral...light and wafting and oh so purely sweet and innocent. After awhile the spicy note of carnation makes an appearance and the fragrance settles into a pleasant powdery wisp.

conclusion: I have much love for this scent.

5/5