Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Zenobia was Queen of the Palmyrene Empire. She assumed leadership of her nomadic tribe after her father’s death, eventually marrying King Septimius Odaenathus. Zenobia seemed a contradiction: chaste, dark-eyed, and lovely, but able to drink, fight, and make war like a man. She fought, on horseback, alongside her husband in many battles, and ruled the Empire with a fair and just hand after her husband’s passing. To her people, she was the Lady of Victory, conquering several Roman provinces, including Egypt, and expelling the prefect, Tenagino Probus, who was beheaded after he led an attempt to seize back control of the territory for Rome. Her conquests enabled her to control many vital trade routes, further earning her the ire of the Romans. Unfortunately, she eventually overextended her reach. She was betrayed, and then captured by Emperor Aurelian, displayed in chains in a triumphal procession through Rome, her Empire dissolved. Rather than capitulate to misfortune, she made a new life for herself, and became a Roman matron, philosopher, and socialite.

Orris, clove, costus storax, patchouli, hyssop, frankincense, balsam, and saffron.

in the bottle: mostly clove, with a touch of the balsam.

wet on skin: still mostly clove, with the balsam a bit stronger and the introduction of the storax making for a heady brew so far.

dry down: there's a note of sweetness that has cut through the heavy stuff, making it more complex and reminding me, strangely, of the orange/clove pommanders we used to make at christmastime when i was a little girl. but there's no orange here, so i'm going to assume its the saffron coming into play. it's lovely.

in all: sweet, rich and commanding, a scent certainly fit for a warrior woman. i may have to wait until autumn to enjoy her fully, however! ;)

ETA: it's sometime later and i've given the Lady another sniff and am re-evaluating my thought that i'd have to wait until Fall to give her a real go. She's not as heavy as, say Mort de Cesar, and she's not as dense as Smiling Spider. i think she may actually be a summer-time Clove scent afterall! Edited by VioletChaos

zenobia smells heavy on the orris, for me, and a little chocolate-y, for some reason...it almost reminds me of a "13" blend, although there's no actual chocolate...it smells of an herbally, chocolate-y orris, with almost an orange citrussy tang. i'm getting very little patchouli, actually, but this does have an earthy feel to it, as well as a spicy feel. it's pretty yummy and unusual...does give me a little "power" feeling - like a warrior queen...i'd say it's a blend with a fair amount of depth - it's not a light blend, but not heavy either...

Sniffing the bottle, it's mostly clove.

Wet on my skin, clove is the strongest followed by orris and frankincense. Saffron stronger as it begins to dry.

This is a lovely warm, sweet, and spicy scent.

VioletChaos' review was pretty much dead on, I dunno if I can do much better than that. I'll try! :)

In the bottle: Balmy clove

Wet: Mild cloves with a touch of ginger (?). A very spicy scent but not in a potpourri sort of way. I'm not detecting any of the other notes. Right now this is all balsam, clove and ginger.

Dry: As this dries it gets a bit sweeter. The way the clove works in this is unique to me. It's not like stovetop potpourri (like Bandito was for me) or really sharp and dry (like Clemence). Clove can sometimes be a bit too bitter on my skin. This is soft, sweet and slightly smoky. I really like the way it mixes with the balsam.

This also isn't as strong as I imagined it would be. The throw is average and isn't overpowering at all. This is really gentle and pretty.

The final stage of this is a slightly herbaceous clove with balsam and a whiff of incense.

Verdict: I really like this one! Clove is a note I either really love or hate...this time? Love it! I agree with VioletChaos, this is a wonderful Autumn scent (and will probably get more complex and rich smelling over time) but can also be worn as a summertime clove scent (it's very light).

I really can't compare Zenobia to any other BPAL perfume, she stands on her own, unique.

:wub2:

in the bottle a dusty, resinous clove, very sweet and a little cloying

wet on skin clove and orris are punching each other in the face repeatedly, looking for dominance. there's a greasiness here that i associate with amber, but it might be a reaction between the orris and the frankincense.

dry on skin a cloying, floral-y clove with a dusty, stale-ish throw. the balsam is the culprit here, i think, and doesn't seem to be playing well with the other notes. to me, this is a kissing cousin to pickled imp and the illustrated woman without having the downright appeal of either.

i think i need to finally accept that, much as i love the idea of clove, it has yet to work for me in a perfume and maybe i should just give it up.

I don't know about you ... but to me, this is Voodoo Queen's little sister. Though she's got more clove to her, the feeling is still the same rich, spicy, incense fest that is VQ. My personal favorite of the Inquisitions, Zenobia is a bold scent but has a lightness to it. It will certainly be gorgeous come fall as it has that characterist mulled wine bouquet to it. Spice lovers will go nuts for this one!

Edited by biz4brent

This starts out exquisitely.

Have you ever been in a tea shop, one that sells bulk tea? Or have you ever opened a fresh tin of Black Oolong or Gunpowder? Yeah. This smells like bulk tea, with cinnamon. But not cinnamon, it's a clovey-cinnamon.

After an hour, this starts to turn musky, bloody flesh musky, all copper and sensuality.

Alas, 90 minutes after applying, it's almost completely faded away. (is sad)

in the bottle: mmm, piney and spicy

wet: it's mostly balsam, patchouli, and clove

dry layered with the bath oil: it's a lovely spicy resinous blend.

the first time I wore this set my newly enabled friend asked me if I was wearing Scattered Gloom again.

This blend seems like a cross between Bat of Good Death, Smiling Spider, and Velvet Bandito to me. It's got the dry notes from the orris, hyssop, and frankincense that I detected in Bat of Good Death, the angry clove of Smiling Spider, and a dusty feeling from Velvet Bandito.

As a definite foody/sweet scent lover, Zenobia probably won't be in my regular lineup, but I'm glad I got to try it!

I'm not sure what folks are finding "sweet" about this blend; on me it's very dry and almost harsh - clove (which I usually love), patchouli (I also love) and balsam (don't have strong feelings one way or the other) with a harsh touch of saffron (which I do not love, but was hoping would be a minor player in this blend). The frankincense (another favorite note) comes out a little later and sweetens things up a tad (frankincense on me is rich, spicy incense with a faintly sweet tinge), but is strangely reticent. I get no orris, and I've forgotten what costus storax is supposed to smell like. I love incense scents, and I thought this would be spicy incense, but it's fairly harsh on me.

I do like it, and I don't. It's very dry and masculine on me, thus not something I will wear often, but it might layer well with something with lotus or honey in it. I'll have to see about that. I'll see how this ages. At the moment I'm really disappointed. :huh?:

This dries down to single note clove on my skin with a very light hint of orris root. I love it. :wub2:

Zenobia starts off smelling like spiced cola and dry wood with smooth, dark resins.

In the drydown, this smells like deep, purple, sweet, slightly powdery violets with clove and an overall dark, incensey feel.

Sweet violet incense with clove. This smells a lot like LUSH's Bathos fragrance on me.

Edited by Little Bird

If I weren't looking at the note list, I would describe this (post dry-down) as dry, spicy carnation and incense with a touch of unsweetened coconut. :eek: Looking at the list, I'd say it's the clove and herbal/woody qualities of the hyssop and orris (maybe?) that are making me think of carnation. Don't ask me about the coconut, I don't know!

The patchouli seems stronger in the vial than on my skin -- wet, it reminds me a little bit of its incarnation in Melainis. Dry, it isn't particularly prominent in the blend, but patchouli and I are suchveryclosefriends that it may just be playing super-nice with my chemistry. :D

I like this a lot, but it's definitely got (appropriately enough) what one of my friends would refer to as "a strong personality"! Not for the faint of heart.

In the vial: Oh, yum! Patchouli spice resin!

Wet: Oooh, fabulous patchouli spice! I'm getting sweet resin, too, maybe the balsam. I hope I didn't let the orris scare me away from this one, because if it works I think I'm going to really love it and I only have a decant.

Twenty minutes: Fabulous spicy resin, mostly cloves and frankincense on a bed of patchouli. Oh, dear. I think I'm going to love this!

One hour: Yup, falling in love. Clove and resin are the dominant notes, with a side of patchouli. Not getting any orris at all, thank heaven, and the saffron is manageable too. Since those are the two notes that worried me, this is definitely a win, but now I'm unhappy that I didn't get a whole bottle.

Two hours: It's calmed down some now, and the resins have outpaced the clove. Very sweet frankincense and balsam notes, deliciously warm and just a touch spicy. Not a lot of throw, which is fine because I have plenty of other resin scents with more throw. This one is cosy, intimate, special.

Three and a half hours: Dying down a bit now, it's balsam first with frankincense second. The spiciness is mostly gone too.

Ah clove. Unfortunately, you lose the battle. I wish you had carried the day... as you smell like sweet clove kind. I get balsam and patchouli and a hint of orris mixed in with the clove.

SAD.

Oh clove.

Wet, this is kind of resinous with a touch of clove. After a bit it's CLOVE, CLOVE, CLOVE!! A bit too much, even for me, a spice lover. It is a nice sweet clove, but much too strong. I will definitely have to do a tiny drop next time. I'm beginning to learn that I amp spice. I do like the bath oil much better, more resinous and less spice.

OK, OK, I should have known the spice would definitely die down. Once it does, (a couple of hours later), it is very complimentary to the bath oil, with more resins and a touch of clove. I'll just know next time that a little dab'll do you with this one.

Edited by milo

This was an extremely kind gift, you know who you are, and though I know none of us are mind-readers here, by a really lucky chance you definitely hit the nail on the head that I love clove! :joy: I adore clove, and to my delight I amp it too (as I found out with Samhainophobia), which only makes it even more beautiful mingling with the resins and woods in this blend. Those three are the prominent notes for me in Zenobia, and in addition there is also a certain earthy fierceness that comes out, if that makes any sense, which makes me think of a warrior maiden running through the woods to hunt down the enemy. I am so happy I have a bottle of this, and maybe I should give it a go when hunting those of the male persuasion... :twisted:

Edited by Invidiana

Thank you Ralenth for the decant! You're the best!!!

Once applied, I get warm, beautiful resins layered with rich spices. The cloves are an amazing companion to the patchouli. There's a faint dustiness or smokiness floating around too. It's very faint though, and it's not overpowering at all. The combination as a whole make this lovely blend for resin lovers like myself. I think that I'll need to find a whole bottle now!! I bet this will age beautifully!!

Lots of clove in this one for me but that's not surprising since I often amp that note. Didn't drive me away form the blend as overbearing clove usually does though.. I think the hyssop, orris, and frankincense save this one for me.

On wet: sweet clove with a bit of Orris. Clove is a note of death for me and I amp it like nobody's business yet I still keep picking scents that have clove listed, I just want to like it. :lol:

When it dries down the clove recedes a little bit and balances out with the Orris. A tiny bit of patchouli peeks out when it's dry.

Wet: A sharp medicinal clove. Being a fan of medicinal herb and spice scents, Zenobia is right up my alley. Arid, uncompromising, unselfconscious. As it dries, it softens, and the clove takes on an airy quality. This is one witty, direct and courageous queen.

I like her best as a layering note, especially with sweet foody scents, but she is compelling and imperious alone, as well. Maybe not for when I want someone to snuggle up close, but when I want to be in command of a situation. If you like Laudanum, I suggest this one.

On my skin, this smells exactly like The Smiling Spider and Arachne of Lydia. I suppose I just really amp that one bitter clove note! Which is strange, because the clove doesn't kill me when it's listed as "Sweet clove" or "zanzibar clove"

A very spiced up , warm scent. It is the smell of tea before its brewed. I like the clove elements and it is rather soft. The longer I wear it the more it opens up. Wearing it makes me think of a fall day, Iam a kitten in a old book store sitting in a sunny window. I am in love and glad I have a bottle.

Layering O with Zenobia is exactly what I thought Snake Oil would smell like, this is my new jelly belly hybrid

Edited by opheliatrey

Ooooh...so much going on with this one. The clove is mellow and rounded, not sharp on me. The storax seems to ground it, with the patchouli blending so perfectly it's barely noticeable as a note unto itself. A gorgeous, genuinely different and exotic incense blend!

I've had Zenobia since it released but never got around to reviewing it...I should have! It's really wonderful, and time has only made it better. Agree that it smells a little like Bathos. The clove and orris are strong here, and then it's mellow patchouli and frankincense, with the balsam and hysop rounding it out with an herbal sweetness. The saffron gives it character and spunk. Overall, it smells like clovey, dark purple incense and is beautiful, well-blended, and super relaxing. Another point in favor of aging, because I'm sure this smelled good when I first tried it, but has definitely become smoother over time.