Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
moonstonemama

Velvet Nudie

Skin musk and flowering sugar cane.

Velvet Nudie is a lemony skin musk, of the fast disappearing kind. I love lemon and was excited to smell this in the imp, as it seemed like it was full of win. Unfortuneately, I'm discovering that skin musk does not work on me, it just reacts with my skin chemistry and makes a blend smell to "department store perfumey" in a bad way. Off to swaps.

Velvet Nudie

In the bottle: perfumey lemony-floral skin musk. Like a lighter version of Giant Vulva.

Wet on skin: perfumey and tangy skin musk.

Dry on skin: surprisingly lemony? I wonder where that’s coming from? This is also very perfumey. It reminds me of Giant Vulva but without the depth of the copal and beeswax. It’s got the same skin musk, though right now I can’t really smell the sugar cane. This does however smell very pretty. It’s the smell of clean skin that’s just been showered with a lemon or orange blossom soap. At times I smell powder too. It does smell very faint though, clinging close to the skin instead of wafting.

After a while: this is not as strongly lemony but it does still have that hint of lemon blossom I love. however, at this point, it also has something soapy or soap-powdery that I’m not crazy about. where’s the sugar cane? I don’t smell much sweetness to this scent really. It’s quite a tart clean skin scent. and the musk is very pretty-and indeed, it has a velvet quality! But I’m not really keen on the hints of soap. I wish this were a little sweeter, or had a little more defined citrus, and then I’d like it.

And my skin eats it up. all that’s left is a faint skin scent, like skin washed with something lemon scented. Pretty, but too quiet for me.

Verdict: I was a tad disappointed with the Nudie. She’s very pretty, I must say, but a little too clean and perfumey for me? I was expecting more of a white musk and, most of all, a sweeter sugar note. The musk is unusually lemony, almost soapy but not quite. I quite like the lemony intro, it’s like lemon blossom or lemon leaf, very pretty and springy, and fresh. The scent then turns a little soapy at drydown and becomes really faint, like the softest clean skin scent. it does really smell like showered skin, but I was hoping for less soapiness with the musk-and most of all, more sugar cane. I really wanted this to be a little sweeter and juicier, but I think my skin picked up the ‘flowering’ bit of the sugar cane more than the ‘sugar’. I think I’ll stick with Giant Vulva for skin musk.

Emoticon rating: :D

Is it a keeper? I like it, but not enough to keep.

If you like this, try: Giant Vulva, Ebisu Making Love, Harikata, Itaso Kansei

Initial unsniffed impression: Like most folks I immediately thought, "Giant Vulva!". Bought a bottle because I love sugary scents. Expecting something yummy.

In the bottle: Glowing and golden with a hint of citrus.

Wet on skin: Same as the bottle with a hint of musk and a bunch of lemon, but then POOF! Where did you go?

Drydown: This is very faint on me. All I smell is clean skin, but different from what my clean skin smells like without perfume, so I know it's still there. I get a hint of the lemon water someone mentioned before. It's pleasant but not very perfumey. I don't get anything floral here. It's a very, very light clean scent with a teeensy bit of sweetness.

Overall: I like it, and I am happy I bought a bottle. This will be good on the days when I don't feel like anything heavy. It's just sweet enough, crisp and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to trying it again as it ages to see if I get anything stronger.

In bottle: soft and sweet. I can't make out any particular notes- not even the lemon that so many other reviews mention.

Wet: Ooh :wub: Very feminine sweet light musk.

Drydown: same as wet, quite lovely

This is a very feminine scent and not at all like the foodie scents I wear so often. I received multiple compliments on how nice I smelled while I was wearing this today. I'm definitely happy that I picked up two bottle of this.

1247184633_iYUT8-Ti.jpg

I loved the 'bare' description of this blend, and when I tried the decant it smelled wonderfully on me. The bottle has not disappointed either: lovely light musk which doesn't make me sneeze or turn into something awful plus very faint sweet florals and a hint of citrus. All in all this blend is a wonderful light scent which would work for all seasons, IMO, but perfect for hot, sticky summer days. The throw is very light and the stay is barely a couple of hours, but it's worth the re-application because this blend smells that good through all the stages.

Edited by stellans

This scent is essentially a palest yellow floral with stronger lemon overtones on top of a pale, soft musk. Like other reviewers have said, it smells like freshly washed skin that was washed with a soft floral-citrus soap. It's slowly morphing on my skin, becoming sweeter and a bit sparkly over time. Very light and soft, Velvet Nudie is unobtrusive and most certainly the sort of scent you wear when you expect someone to get very close to your soft spots (the throw is so light that I doubt it'd noticeable otherwise!). Sexy, but also a sort of... innocent. Further drydown sees it warm up a bit, as well.

The throw is literally only three or four inches off my skin (and I applied rather liberally to my wrists). Also, the lemon catches at my nose a little... but then again, I have been mega-huffing my wrist for the last ten minutes, so don't blame the perfume.

Edited by obsidienne

Very light and pretty floral musk. Ultra feminine. Doesn't have the sugar buzz of Giant Vulva for me that I was kind of hoping for (especially with a note like flowering sugarcane). Nice but this one's off to swaps. Pretty bottle art!

I snagged all the velvets in a decant circle, this one included.

Its very lemony, but not pledge at all. It actually made me think of lemon drop shots (alcohol) that are popular with my friends when we go out drinking. Candied lemons. But then as it sits on skin it starts to go more floral, and I'm not a floral lover at all so I'm biased. It gets a sort of soapy smell, and I fall out of love with it. However, the longer it sits, the more I love this skin musk under it all. I'm a fan of the labs musks, and skin musk makes me swoon. It makes this scent sexy in a very natural way. No cloying perfumes or bawdy romances. This is sexual innocence, freshly washed :rofl:

I'll be swapping it, but thats just because Im a patchouli, tonka, or leather girl. Not really floral. I was just so curious about another scent with skin musk that I couldn't pass it up. It's definitely alluring, feminine, and girly while still being sexy. I'd find it really appealing on a few friends of mine. Or maybe a drop of it in my laundry...

In the vial: It's like a small quantity of intense floral: I get the intense floral, but it seems very diluted by something I can't make out.

Wet: Very subtle, just a touch of brownish-white grassy floral.

Half an hour: I get the skin musk now; it reminds me of Schlafende Baigneuse and especially Judith and Holofernes, only extremely subtle on the floral.

One hour: Oh, it's much nicer now. There is just enough grassy floral in this to offset the musk; it's beautifully balanced and subtle.

Three hours: Wow, this one really turned pretty. It reads quite a lot more floral now, but still very light. I'm very impressed!

Five and a half hours: Gee, this still smells very nice. I'm so glad I took the plunge and got a decant of this one!

I wound up getting more of this.

Velvet Nudie-

In Bottle: A tiny moment of sharp cologne-ness in the bottle. And sweetness. It doesn't smell like any musk I expect. And it's definitely not a floral. I don't know how to describe it outside of that cologne-ness.

Wet: The sharp cologne scent is gone instantly. I really hate to think lemon because it's not lemony at all. It's like sweet tea with the merest memory of lemon.

Dry: Wow. This is...like the smell of sweet skin, sweet clean young skin. It isn't baby-like or baby powder-like. It's fresh-smelling and nothing at all like a heavy musk. It's the way you wish you smelled when you sweated, like something sweetly sexy. It smells almost like something I'd put on and let dry before I'd put another scent over it so that I could smell like that second scent on top of my own wished-for scent.

Overall: Very fresh and sexy. I really like this.

Oh this is not good. NOT. GOOD. I swear, on my first whiff I thought "unwashed girly bits dabbed with taxicab air freshener."

And I can't bring myself to sniff it again to see if I was right. :sick:

Nudie is traditional cologne skin scent to my nose, with a definite bend toward the soapy side. I don't get any of the sugar cane, but the floral is there.

Glad I tried a decant...just not for me.

First impression- This smells like those little bars of soap they give you in hotels- very sweet, slightly floral scent.

Wet on skin- Very floral. This reminds me of my antique rose bush in my garden.

Dry- clean musk with the barest hint of floral. This is a light, clean scent perfect for summer.

I pick up on the lemon and light sweetness of it, but overall, this scent is just too faint for me to get into.

I didn't get lemon from this at all. I got grapefruit. It smells like the same grapefruit top note I get from Manhattan. Maybe because of what else is in with it, I'm not sure. The citrus scent fades out after an hour so, as citrus notes do, and what's left is a really nice musky skin scent. It's not loud at all, it's sweet and clean-smelling. I wouldn't say "fresh" because it's too musky to be fresh.

I can see why people have described it as smelling like soap, but that's not what leaps to mind for me. It's just nice and soft.

In the decant, this smells similar to the Vulva scents from the Lupers, specifically Giant Vulva, though that's probably b/c they both have the skin musk/sugar cane note. On my skin, this is definitely a cousin of Giant Vulva, though not quite with the depth that the other has. We'll see what this does. This ends up being a version of Giant Vulva without nearly the depth that the former has, and ends up being a bit soapy because of this and fades quickly. Going to pass this one onto someone else, I think.

Edited by Venneh

Sometimes we all do get a happy ending after all. The final result of this is what I was hoping XDCL13 would dry down into on my skin, but instead it turned into my aunt's Tresor horribleness. This one starts off lihgtly sweet and musky and a bit floral and green, which worried me, but anything vaguely green quickly fades to a soft and surprisingly sexy floral background, and the sugarcane part warms up and blends harmoniously with the skin musk. It ends up being very come-hither and sensual with just the right amount of sweetness for the nature of the scent, and I love it.

This is the only velvet of which I managed to get a full bottle, and I am thrilled with it. Like most others, I've found it's an extremely soft scent. You'll never be accused of overdoing it with this one! On initial application, I get mostly the sugarcane with the softest hint of floral/musk and a ghost of natural (as in non-household cleaner) lemon. After about a half hour, the lemon comes forward a bit, but it never fully takes over. My general impression of it is perfectly balanced soft skin musk and lemon sugar. It's not at all a foodie sort of scent. It's definitely a 'perfume-y' fragrance--clean, light, sweet, and extremely feminine. I would bathe in this if I could--it's heavenly! I like this one when I know I'm going to be up close and personal with someone. ;)

It smelled like floral/citrus soap with sweetness in the background. Doesn't have a lot of throw.

Wet on my skin I get lemons. I normally don't care for lemons, but these lemons are fresh and just a little sweet, like lemonade.

A short time later they fade back a bit and the most wonderful soft, sweet, natural musk comes to the front. It's a very sexy kind of musk and I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Mmm... I smell goooooood. It's amazing how this scent is able to smell so natural, I keep thinking that this is how Pan's nymphs would smell.

It does seem to fade within a couple hours, but that's ok with me. It's a lovely scent.

Oh, and I was going to include that I think this is going to be a staple for me during the Summer. It's sweet, sultry and musky while still being light, fresh and clean. Perfection!

Edited by strahlend

Gift imp from GirlinDenial in the art swap.

On me, this is lemon and sugar, light and sweet. Perfect for summer wear, though it dies down pretty fast.

Mmmm, sugar sprinkled with lemon with a beautiful light skin musk. When I first sniffed my bottle a few weeks ago, I felt "eh" about it because I couldn't smell a thing. Now it's amazing. It's drying down to a faintly lemon sugared vanilla. I'm thrilled at how unassumingly sexy this is.