The land where the Lotus-eaters dwell,

Who fed on flowery food: there landed we
And drew us water, and by the sea
By the swift ships taking our midday meal
We drank and ate bread in sufficiency.

Then of my crew I sent to bring me word,
Exploring inland, what they saw or heard
Of dwellers on the acres, choosing out
Twain, and as a herald with them for the third.

And straightway going forth, anigh they drew
The Lotus-eaters; who against our crew
Devised not hurt, but gave them of the fruit
To taste upon the lotus-trees that grew.

But whoso of them once began to eat
The lotus-fruit, that is as honey sweet,
Had no will longer in him to return
Or bring back tidings, but desired to fleet

His days among the lotus-eating men,
Eating the lotus, nor return again.
Howbeit I drove them weeping to the ships,
And to the ships’ hold haled and bound them then

Under the benches: but I bade anon
My fellows to the swift ships get them gone
In haste, that none might of the lotus-fruit
Eat, and forget the way he went upon.

Honey-sweet and soporific.

in the bottle fruity and almost powdery like bazooka gum with a sharp note reminiscent of ozone
wet on skin wet and fruity, almost tropical, like punch, hm.
dry on skin ah, the drydown is nice! maybe it's just me today, i seem to be making everything go really sweet. there is a hardcore honey note here that's dancing over the top of the fruitiness and bringing the whole thing down a notch. pleasant and inoffensive and undeniably feminine.
later: about the same but has the teeniest whiff of baby shampoo (?!)... which gets stronger as it dries down more. sweet and soporific, yup! LOL! definitely makes me think of bedtime when the spawn were wee. i kind of sort of want a bottle of this.

wearlength is very short.

test 2: something like honeysuckle going on this time? very sweet, soft, and girly, possibly too much for my general tastes. Edited by Shollin
added full description --Shollin

Sniffing the imp, this is gooey, tacky sweet.

Wet on my skin, it's sweet lotus. I usually like the sweeter blends, but something about this is giving me a headache. :(

Lotus and honey! Honey and Lotus! Honey, honey, honey!

That's pretty much the way The Lotus Tree goes on my skin. I love it. Both lotus and honey are notes with a good deal of complexity, to my nose, and they are naturals to blend, seems to me; the honey, which tends to be musky and less than sweet on me, keeps the lotus sweetness under control, and the lotus adds a round, high sweet fruity-floral note to the honey. The overall effect is of a very deep, rich Oriental blend, more an evening scent than an office blend, I think (I tested it at work today, and while I wasn't uncomfortable, I did think it would have been more at home in the lobby bar of a theater than standing at the photocopier. Still, I have enjoyed The Lotus Tree all the way through the fade, which has taken several hours -- my wrists smell faintly of musky honey and something smooth, fainly sweet, and opaque.

This is really beautiful. I suspect there is a bottle in my future.

HONEY, kept from being sticky-sweet by the lotus. Lotus is very sweet to my nose and tends to be way too strong on me but it's pretty good here, giving the honey a floral and slightly musky quality. I really like this and I don't think any other blend with lotus has worked on me at all so this is a nice surprise!

imp: lotus and honey and strong!

wet: whoa. this is seriously strong on me. the lotus is overpowering and the honey is cloying.

dry: much lovelier once dry. the lotus and honey are sweet and pretty, this wears very close to the skin. i think i might try it again before bedtime.

straight sniff from imp is hayoogely honey....

once applied extremely sweet and a perfect honey...

after awhile some honeysuckle as mentioned previously...

reminds me of something my gramma used to wear...

while wet, it's a rich, almost pollen-y honey. dry - this becomes much lighter, and fades quickly...the honey is super-sweet, yet subtle. the lotus is candy-sweet for a a few minutes then fades away...it's very pretty, youthful and uncomplicated. the honey and lotus blend well into a pleasant sweet scent.

The Lotus Tree is a sweet, powdery floral reminiscent of LUSH's Silky Underwear. I agree with the bubblegum comparison- it's got a faint, pink, feminine sweetness about it. But it's not a "little girl" scent, it's very sexy and grown up. It's one of those versatile scents that is great for going out but also great for work. I love it!

This is a really lovely scent, and I'm so disappointed it doesn't work for me. "Honey-sweet and soporific" is the best description possible of the blend; it's a groggy, sleepy bunch of sticky honeyed flowers that seem to invite a good, long nap. As it dries down, though, it becomes cleaner and brighter until it smells like old-lady soap. I love the scent of BPAL's lotus note, but it always does this on my skin; on the up side, that means that anyone who loves the Lab's lotus should rush out to buy this one!

Well.. sadly, I'm disappointed. I took the description to mean this was going to be a honey blend.. my mistake, clearly.. cos it isn't.

It's sweet like honey - yep. But it's not honey... or at least, not for me (and usually honey loves me and comes out beautifully on my skin). I'm having trouble identifying what this is all about.. I get a kind of citrus-y thing, but it's not lemon or orange. It's slightly sweet but not bubblegum or berries. It's faintly floral but not really floral, and slightly wood-y - that must be the 'lotus' and the 'tree' part! This is quickly turning into a useless review.. I can't figure this one out!!

Alright.. focus. This is a *nice* blend.. it smells lovely, and whatever all those unidentifiable smells are - they work together well and give this a sweet and rich musky top note that's quite intoxicating.

This is a bit sharp and much dryer on my skin than I would have thought it to be. I get woods and some sharp powdery/dry notes. There might be lotus hidden behind that somewhere, but lotus usually is much more of a wet, round note for me. I'm also not sure if there's honey in here, but then honey never works for me and never smells liquid as it should on my skin, so maybe it's playing a part.

on my skin, this is pretty much pure, sweet honey. At first I got just a whiff of lotus, but it didn't last very long. Light throw, but long wearlength - it's been 7 hrs and I still smell it

In the vial, all that I can smell is a sweet, SWEET honey. Bpal's honey notes sometimes smell sharp/metallic on me rather than sweet, but this one is definitely sweet.

Lotus usually smells rather nice, sweet, and bubblegummy on my skin, but I don't smell that here. I'm getting more a sharp, white floral smell than the usual sweet lotus smell.

As this dries down on my skin, it's mostly a sweet honey, with a sharp, perfumey white floral something in the background. The floral aspect of this gets way too sharp and artificial for me, and starts to smell like cheap, metallic hairspray on me after a while. It's more like tuberose than lotus on me.

Honey and cheap hairspray (sort of like honey + bpal's Stardust on me). This is not a keeper for me. It starts to give me a vicious headache after a while. :ack:

I know what the Lab is capable of when the Lab turns the dial to SWEET. Unsuspecting persons become trapped in a sudden crystallization of supersaturated airborne sugar and have to chew their way out if they want to be able to put down the perfume and go anywhere.

So, honey-sweet and lotus? Man, my chewing muscles were ready.

Turns out, this is not HALF as sweet as I was expecting. Not even close. There's honey, but it's turned to 4 or 5 instead of 11, and the lotus is turned to about 2. It's thin and vaguely floral, with a weird chemical sharpness. It has none of the depth that the honey notes usually have. This perfume is all surface, and it's a surface with a cheap floral print. Blecht.

Lobster Rating

better than: that thing that was killing all the bees but is mostly okay now

The reminds me a lot of The Flower Song, which is a huge favorite of mine!

Wet: Bright, fruity.

On the drydown: It's a very reed-like smell, with a soft fruity undertone. It's like The Flower Song, but less sweet, and without the wine, if that makes sense. I like it!

In the bottle: sweet, narcotic and soporific. Honey and a heady floral bloom.

Wet: very sweet for a floral; not as sweet as a BPAL foodie scent. Honey, honeysuckle and lotus are the strongest notes.

Top Notes: Narcotic lotus and ROSE* and honey.

Middle notes: Still sweet, with lotus and rose* as the primary notes.

Base notes: honey and soft powder with a strong floral component.

*rose may be the tiniest part of this scent; I expect it wouldn't even show up for most people. My body just throws rose to an unbelievable degree.

All in all, I like this scent! It's sweet, but it's sophisticated and sexy in a very old-fashioned way. It's not a day or work fragrance by any stretch of the imagination. Save it for nights out. :)

Bright and fruity honey! I definitely think there is lotus in this blend, and duh, obviously honey. I get this watery, almost melon overlay to the honey.

Very interesting.

Somehow, I don't think this is honey you actually want to eat. Like bad things will happen. But it's so tempting.

Who needs consciousness?

*GLOMP*

This is a wonderful honey blend. A little herbal, a little woodsy. I'm not getting the bubblegum scent I usually get from lotus. I can detect honeysuckle as well. Sweet and calming, but not overly cloying. I really really like this.

In the bottle - Honey and something sweet anf lightly fruity, almost like pears

Wet on me - The sweet soft fruitiness comes out from beneath the honey's richness

Dry on me - A deep, rich, incense-like honey, similar to that in Athens

Overall - I'm not certain if their is actually honey in this blend, but that's how my nose interprets it and I like it.

In bottle: Honey and lotus warring for dominance. Wet: It’s really nice in a delicate honey floral sort of way. It’s a touch more floral than I was hoping, but pleasant enough Dry: Weirdly compelling when mixed with my natural musk. The honey is fascinating with the lotus. It’s working beautifully, subtly sexy and tasty all at once.

Soft, and a little bit spicy. It reminds me of actual licorice root, not the candy. That aspect fades to leave behind a pleasant woody scent. Reminds me of sandalwood.

I was bracing for a cloyingly stickysweet scent, but it seems my chemistry is working in my favor today. On my skin, The Lotus Tree is sweet, yes, but not at all the soporific honey glomp many other reviewers experienced. I'm getting a brush of slightly crystallized honey over crisp lotus petal - none of lotus's usual bubblegum, just a rather indulgent pink note. I'm getting the scent of nectar, and petals, and maybe a bit of pollen, but this isn't exactly a floral scent.

Interesting... not an immediate winner, but one I want to keep around to try again.

Origin: Fresh from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I needed something to round out an imp pack and "honey-sweet" caught my eye.

In the Vial: Rich, sticky-sweet honey indeed. Lotus gives it just enough lift to avoid inducing cavities.

Wet: A burst of honey and then the lotus comes out in a beautiful sun-sweet floral.

Drydown: I am getting the full natural lotus made wonderfully sweet with the honey. It's not candy-like at all on me. The drydown has developed a spicy side that is fascinating. It's not quite anise, it's not quite carnation, but it's adding a very sexy feel to the scent.

Verdict: I like it a lot. I'll see whether I need a bottle by how fast I go through the imp.

I love - LOVE - this. It's a new fave - I actually wore it for 4-5 days in a row when I first got it, and I NEVER do that.

On me, it's quite simply honey and lotus - the honey is the rich, sweet, but clean honey of Mead Moon rather than the kind of funky, almost skunky honey of O and Jezebel. The lotus has that recognizable bubble-gumminess, but something about the honey makes it more complex than it usually is on me - it gives the lotus depth and grounds it, I think.

The two blend together beautifully into a gorgeous honeyed floral - rich but not too heavy, and quite sweet, but not cloying (mind you, I love sweet, so if you don't, your definition of cloying may not match mine!). Although there's lots of honey, it doesn't come across as foody to me (while I love sweet and smelling like things you can eat/drink - honey, vanilla, tea - I can't do the hardcore foody cakes/cupcakes/sugar, for instance). It's sophisticated and on the sexy side, but more in that I think it would be great for a fancy evening out, not that it reeks of sex or anything (that said, I've worn it all day, happily - I just apply with a light hand during the day). On me, it has great throw and lasts really well - 5-6 hours without any problems. It's not much of a morpher for me, but by the end of its run the lotus burns off a bit and it's mostly honey.

I ADORE this. I nearly used up my imp within the week (and I only haven't bought a bottle yet because I'm broke, but am going to break down and do so soon).