Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chai_girl

Cheshire Cat

Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.

Well after discovering that i amp musk i wasn't as keen on trying this as when i ordered it but I was pleasantly surprised, it played nicely with all the other notes and blended in perfectly and didn't turn rancidly sweet like musk usually does on me. When I put this on it reminded me of an oil in a love potion kit i got as a teenager, the particular oil was unrequitted love, which was my favourite out of the whole set. Whilst I quite like this scent I was not at all prepared for my boyfriends reaction! :P He jumped me and then afterwards he said "Man that perfume just added a whole other dimension", it was really full on! I'm going to have to keep an imp of this on hand at all times.

In the vial: Sugary grapefruit.

On: As usual with all other citrus scents, this one goes straight to floor cleaner. Reminds me of the air freshener we use at work. I didn't think it would work, but figured I'd try.

Verdict: I really wanted to like this one. :P

I really wanted a good grapefruit so I overlooked the dark musk.

Unfortunately for my grapefruit craving nose, it disappeared pretty much immediately. The rest of the notes thankfully kept the dark musk from going dank on my skin, but it's not true love without the grapefruit.

In the imp: Grapefruit, lavender, and chamomile.

Wet: It gives my skin a lovely aroma that I didn't think I'd like with the grapefruit or the lavender.

Dry: I can smell more of the musk and the red currant now, but the grapefruit lets its presence be known in any phase of this scent. There's also a little linger of lavender.

Overall: It's refreshing and it has long staying power. I may have to get this in bottle-form!

In the imp: Grapefruit.

On skin, wet: More grapefruit.

On skin, dry: This does a disappearing act similar to the literary Cheshire Cat, only none of it lingers, and it never returns.

Verdict: Shrodinger's Cat is incredibly similar to this, only is stronger and lasts longer. Off to swaps.

This smells like sparking grapefruit tea to me...with a hint of the rich currant and the herbal lavender. I'll have to get a bottle of this sometime...this would be a lovely scent for summer.

Imp: I smell red currant & musk and the barest

hint of grapefruit.

Wet On Me: Musky Red currant now, then the

herbal from the chamomile.

Drying Down: Less grapefruit now and more of the

musky red currant and now barest hint of lavender

Dry: Musky herbs with a sweetness. Pretty but

no sharp grapefruit for me :P Went to powder after a while.

Throw/Stay: Too short.

ADDED March 12:

Imp: grapefruit, currant and lavender with whisps of the Chamomile

Wet on me: more Lavender and then grapefruit now

Drying down: the lavender and chamomile are blending and giving

such a soothing vibe and the musk whisps and dances around it all playing

peek-a-boo with my nose.

Dry: The grapefruit and current have run away leaving a ring around the

rosey of the lavender, musk and chamomile. Very nice. A keeper.

Mmmm, yummy, I like the Cheshire Cat. It smells of sugared grapefruit, as others have mentioned, and I believe that there is a plump, moist note from the current, with the herbal notes at the very background of things. It's quite lovely. It has a decent throw and staying power, too...a nice scent for summertime, definitely.

I got to smell this one in person at the Roswell Whole Foods, and I remember liking it, so I'm very grateful that the Lab frimped me this in my Hay / Mead Moon order.

Grapefruit and I have a rocky relationship. Sometimes it smells fabulous (Hungry Ghost Moon), and sometimes it smells weird and almost salty (Vampire Tears). The grapefruit in Cheshire Cat is ruby-red and juicy. It reminds me a little bit of the smell of blood-orange juice. I can't smell the currant, but I'm assuming that it's lending some of its depth to the grapefruit. A little bit of sweetness from the chamomile is also present. I'm disappointed that this fades so quickly on me -- it's such a perfect scent for Summer. I might just get a bottle of this anyway. :P

4/5

vial: grapefruit, sugary currant, musk

wet: grapefruit & sugar, musk, currant

dry: sugary musk & faint dried fruit- like the rind of the grapefruit

aftermath: faintly sugared faint musk

I think it would faded completely off if my skin didn't have a knack for amping sugar & musk. But, it's an interesting mix of starting notes. :P

Edited by Lemonlife

Oh wow, this smells wonderful in the imp! Sugared grapefruit and currant rounded out by musk. I've had so much success with bpal's grapefruit, I am very optimistic about this one!

Hmm, this gets a bit greener on my skin. Uhoh, I'm not a huge chamomile fan, and this is going CHAMOMILE on me. Nooooo! ): Also gets a bit...chloriney? All herbal now. Lost all the sugar and grapefruit ):

Meh, this fades really fast, and was never as good on my skin as when it was in the imp. Too bad! I think this might be amazing on other people, but not on me.

Edited by Suu4LC

The lavender and chamomile soothe you...the grapefruit is a little too cheerful...the musk is a bit sinister lurking underneath. I'm guessing it us the currant rounds out the fruitiness manking it more juicy than sour.

This a sweet fruity grapefruit...it feels like it has sugar on top. I'm liking the grapefruit in this one much better than Baobhan Sith. I'm very attracted to it and can't stop sniffing my arm!

My very first thought is that Cheshire Cat is the more feminine, introverted version of Tweedledee-- which is strange because they have no overlapping notes whatsoever. But as I'm really fond of Tweedledee, I'm certainly not complaining. I think it's more the mood of the scent than the actual raw ingredients that make it feel similar. I love the citrus in this: not so strong as orange can sometimes be, but bright and healthy nonetheless. There's something about this that reminds me vaguely of being at a carnival or fair... a hot summer night surrounded by neon and far-away laughter. It reminds me a little of Sour Patch Kids and just-squeezed lemonade. However, the very, very light floral notes, particularly the lavender (or maybe chamomile), calm it all down to just a fading, bubbly memory of these things. There's a hint of weirdness or insanity about Cheshire Cat, which is appropriate, but not in a disturbing or dark way at all.

Very good overall, and I think I could be in the mood for this at almost any time. :P

On my sister (who loves citrus scents) Cheshire Cat smelled like the most delectable mixture of grapefruit, vanilla, and a sprinkle of sugar. I was surprised to reread the notes and see that vanilla wasn't listed. It was -so good- on my sister, I could not stop smelling her.

This is a case of skin-envy. On me Cheshire Cat is a nice-enough citrus smell with undertones that might be floral, might be vanilla-y, or might be nicely-scented plastic. It's okay, but nothing to write home about. I was so disappointed - if it had smelled as good on me as it did on her I would have bought a bottle or three.

The worst part? She just "doesn't like perfume that much". She's NEVER TRIED the imps I got her for her birthday. I might make her some lotion or body wash with this though, since she likes scented bath products.

Wet in imp - Grapefruit, musk, lavender, intriguing.

Wet on skin - Mostly musk and lavender.

Dry on skin - has mellowed to a mostly musky smell, sad, since I was hoping for more of the fruit.

In the imp: Definitely citrusy - the grapefruit is the most prominent note.

Wet on my skin: The grapefruit fades almost immediately, and chamomile moves into the foreground with the slightest hint of lavender.

Dry: Soft, powdery, almost floral - an even mixture of chamomile and lavender. It lingers on my skin lightly, but I like it!

This scent is very soothing, which is ironic to me - the Cheshire Cat is such a devious little scamp!!! I'm going to have to buy some more if I decide to stick with this scent, because I'll have to slather it on my wrists every hour - it just doesn't last long enough on me. :P

In Vial: more soapy that citrusy.

Wet: Smelling more of the citrus/grapefruit scent.

Dry: Powdery and citrusy.

I'm really happy the soapy scent didn't linger on my skin. I'm not very big on scents being powdery as the scent dries and fades, but I actually like how subtle the powder scent was with this one.

In the bottle: Grapefruit

Wet: Grapefruit (and maybe some flowers)

Dry: Grapefruit.

... Okay, so... I like grapefruit okay and all, but... um... wow. That's a lotta grapefruit. I like a little more depth, really, and I'll be honest... I'm not sure I'd smell any more like grapefruit if I cut one in half and rubbed it on myself.

Oh well, it was a nice experiment. n.n

First Sniff: Predominantly citrus notes balanced with musk and lavender.

On skin: I adore the notes in this, and funnily enough I am reminded of my hubby and I in our kitchen at night. The Cheshire Cat is fresh, clean and extremely soothing. The combination of pink grapefruit, chamomile, lavender and musk works very well together.

Drydown: The citrus-y crispness fades away and I am left with a soft, soothing combination of musky lavender and chamomile.

I love wearing this once I get home. It sort of perks me up to get me through the evening, but when I am ready to go to bed, the chamomile and lavender help me fall aslepp.

Final thoughts: Stunning. an interesting combo of notes that morph in a very pleasant way.

Starts out as sharp grapefruit and stays that was for about half an hour. Cheshire Cat then sweetens quite a bit to nice floral citrus combination. I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick out the notes, but this is much nicer for me than Cheshire Moon.

In the imp: Tart grapefruit and rich currant with lavender in the background, not smelling the musk or chamomile yet.

Wet on skin: Grapefruit and currant are blending beautifully, staying sweet but not overly sugary.

Dry on skin: Morphs from fruity to fruit and florals, then the musk appears and is softened by chamomile. Unfortunately, this oil only lasted about two hours on me in three separate tests, and I slathered the last two times.

Even with the short last, this blend of fruity, floral and musk notes is too gorgeous to pass up. Cheshire Cat is a definite bottle purchase.

Cheshire Cat started out as a GRAPEFRUIT smack in the face... strong, strong citrus filled the room (my roommate asked me what I was putting on, it was that strong). Within 10-15 minutes, however, it mellowed out--I've found that most of the citrus scents will, if you give them a few minutes.

At this point, it was citrus with a fruity, almost berry, undertone--probably the currant making its presence known--with a certain soothing herbiness underneath (chamomile and lavender). I love this scent and could wear it forever...

...Unfortunately, after a day's wear, all the other notes melted away and I was left with musk. Thankfully not powerful musk, but cloying, powdery, soapy musk that elicited a grimace when I smelled my wrist at the end of the day. However, the middle stage is probably worth it--I may just have to reapply to avoid the last stage!

Overall, I liked Cheshire Cat, but I agree with other reviewers who've remarked on its similarity to Schrödinger's Cat (with the latter being better). It's a solid like, but not a love.

In the imp vial, I get grapefruit and lavender.

Wet on the skin, it's sugared lemon. :P Must be the citrus in the grapefruit turning lemon on my skin.

Dries to a musky, powdery lemon. No floral and for some reason, my skin makes the grapefruit turn to lemons.

I still it though. :D

I just got the name of my Switch Witchee! I am feeling all grinny and mischievous as I plot things to send and riddles that don't make me to obvious of a giftgiver, but leave hints at the same time. This seems like a perfect situation for smelling like Cheshire Cat!

In the imp: Tangy citrus on top of thick juicy currant jelly. There's also something vaguely tealike, which I assume is the chamomile.

Wet on skin: The grapefruit immediately tones down, though the currant stays strong, and the chamomile is also still there. The sweetness of the musk is also coming into play now.

Drydown: Freshly dry, this reminds me of sweet fruit/herbal tea, and that's a good thing! The citrus and the current are blending together nicely with the chamomile. and the musk is still staying underneath. I'm not getting any of the other flowers yet. An hour later, it's a curranty chamomiley tea-ish thing with musk warming up below it. The grapefruit is gone, and the whole scent is already fainter.

Five hours later: Pretty much gone, except for the littlest bit of musk that only seems to be there if I'm not thinking about it. It's been pretty gone for over an hour, too.

End of the day: Gonegonegone.

Overall: You'd think I'd get the idea by now that the vast majority of citrus/fruit scents do not last on me! (Well, Fearful Pleasure lasted, and the currant in Frederic lasted, but...) As with many of those other scents, I really like the way this smells when it's freshly dry - it's very cheerful, and perhaps even a little smug at the same time. I just wish it didn't go poof so quickly, though I suppose going poof is fitting of the Cheshire Cat.