Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Deimos

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Garamond'>From the Diabolus collection:

Son of Ares, twin to Phobos, Deimos is the personification of dread. Murky ambergris and civet with dark musk, sharpened by orange, bergamot and frankincense.

There's not as much civet in this one as I was afraid of, and I've managed to avoid turning the scent rancid with my body chemistry because of it. Sweet orange, bergamot, and the ambergris combine to make an absolutely eerie sweet, warm, and lightly baby-powderish Orange Julius.

Frankincense makes its way out in the middle of all this, and sharpens the notes up a bit, but they never go to bitter. The dark musk pulls this down and gives it real depth about five minutes into the wearing - without dampening the sweet orange/baby-powder notes.

I usually avoid powdery scents like the plague. This, like Unseelie, is an exception to that rule.</span></span>

Edited by Shollin

This one is pretty hard for me to describe but i will give it a go. On me this turns kinda woodsy, with a powdery citrus scent lingering in there... like JJ i dont like powdery at all... but i love this. There is something deep and a lil spooky about this scent... its not overpowering ... it just lingers and seems part of me instead of a perfume. I think i am liking this one enough to by a 10ml next time... (wonders what its brother Phobos is like now!)

First sniff: “Slithery” is the first word I came up with to describe Deimos. It seems to be a bit fruity, but dark, dark fruit, eaten in a red-lit room as part of a wicked ritual.

Wearing: Powerful and arrogant. The fruit is sharper now, more distinctly orange through the red haze that permeates this scent. After Puck I was really worried about the civet, but I’m not getting that black animal smell from this one, thankfully – though there’s something in this that makes it undeniably masculine despite the oranges. It does go a bit powdery after a few minutes.

It's definitely interesting, but I don’t think I like it enough to wear it often.

Okay, I must have a weird nose. My very first impression of Deimos out of vial was that of pink bazooka bubblegum. I have no idea where I got that idea from now that I am smelling it a few hours later.

I can detect the civet along with the orange and it makes for an intriguing combination. Definitely neither feminine or masculine. I think this would make a fine unisex scent. Unfortunately the scent does not seem to last long on me, but that is what reapplications are for :P

First Impression: A thick masculine smell.

Second Impression: This one is a complex mystery. I can't pick out any of the notes other than it reminds me of a musky man.

Final Analysis: Not good on me and hubby doesn't wear fragrance other than Axe body spray.

FIRST SNIFF: oranges & musk

WEARING IT: already i think this would smell SO much better on kevin than on me, but it's really a very pleasing scent. the orange is very dominant with musk & bergamot swirling around it.

VERDICT: like it lots, but i hope kevin likes it more :P

Phobos' Brother, sons of War. I can see it. Lemons and Oranges did always have a interesting relationship, I though. It's in the pith. Bitter is the pith. Anyway.

Fresh out of the imp, Deimos is sweet like orange candy. Like those little orange slices with the sugar coating? Those. That sweetness begins to fade fairly quickly, however, as the musk and darker scents begin to sneak out of the shadows. I'm not exactly sure what ambergris or civet smell like in and of themselves. Hell, I'm not sure what bergamot or frankincense smell like either! :P I know I like bergamot, I just don't have anything to relate to it as a single note. Maybe I should get an imp of it! Back on subject. These seems vaguely feminine, slightly powdery. Maybe its the tendency for things to go sweet on me. The orange stays a definitive note throughout the process. A nice scent, slightly sweet, not as dark as I'd expect. I like it, especially as a counterpart to Phobos.

This is my first BPAL review.

it's been on for about an hour now.

well, I can see that I have no reason to fear that civet will smell like animal excrements on me, so that's a good thing.

the not so good thing is that even an hour after I applied Deimos, it still smells like a weird kind of fruit gum with a strange note beneath it. my nose is inexperienced in perfume and I don't know what each note smells like - so I can't tell you what makes this be so bizarre. I guess that the citrus notes create the fruit gum note and the amber and civet compose the weird musky note below.

The strange gum smell was strong at first sniff, and an hour later, that note beneath it is expressing more and more of itself. I'm afraid that so far, Deimos is most definitely not for me.

ETA:

I'm washing this off. I definitely don't want to smell like that, nor do I want any man I'm with to. too strange, and skunky.

Edited by reina

This scent is a rapid changer. It starts off really sweet, then calms, goes back up. I like it alot though. As with all of the other BPAL oils I cant stop smelling myself! I dont know if I'll get a big bottle... but the imp will be used nicely :P

Musky and strong in the bottle, this remained a very strong, resiny and masculine scent when I put it on. The civet and orange add a sort of nasty sweetness under a base of thick, arrogant resiny musk. This is one powerful scent, very in control, commanding and potentially sinister. I've tucked this one into swaps as it's just not me.

The scent is orangey, and after the first hit, the civet (I think) makes it a little stinky for a short time (reminds me of ... the idea of the smell of fear). The drydown is still orangey, and sweet, but grounded.

Deimos

First Impression

Smells like oranges and oil and incence. Kinda reminiscent of keroscene, actually, if it had fresh orange oil and the slightest smidgen of incense mixed with it.

Wearing It

This turns very pleasant smelling on me, actually. It's got that deep dark musk that Bewitched has, which develops on my skin right away. (my skin loves musk and will pull it out of any scent.) But besides the musk, this reminds me a bit of the Chinese graveyard I used to do security for. I'd always smell the scent of orange peels and orange oil drifting through the air, mingling with the scent of incense. And the civet or ambergris gives it the scent of something animalistic, but not too much so.

Overall it smells like a dream in a deep dark woods. Something musky and animal like, with incence and oranges. Very nice.

oy. ew. :D

Jeez, I hate like hell having adverse reactions to any scent Beth creates :D but I am having one with Deimos.

Maybe it is the civet + musk + citrus mixing with my personal scent chemistry.

I know from previous experience that civet is verboten on me. :D

I placed Deimos, which was wrapped in an envelope - on my swap pile, while wearing a pair of latex gloves.

That kind of sensitive.

civet-on-me ....:P

*sniffed from imp*

The combination of animalistic scents and...citrus?? :P

The notes simply...*clash*

First off, I have to say--civet doesn't really bother me in the right blend. It seems extremely dirty and sexual-smelling to me, which can be very nice, especially when mixed with a light hand with musk. But citruses are generally clean, so...wierd...

Certainly NOT a feminine scent...

And yet...it *could* be interesting on a guy. Deimos certainly does make an intriguing sniff!

You won't believe this, but... Deimos on me smells like canned peaches and mandarin oranges. Yummy, but not warlike...

Interesting. Sadly, no frankincense for me. :P Very fruity. Reminds me a great deal of Chango, only a bit richer, and a bit less life-savers. A slight undertone of civet, but not strong. Oddly though, fades quickly on me. It seems like it would be a substantial scent with that ingredient list.

ouchies! :P got an imp for my baby and as soon as she put it on, red, swelling, blistery, itchy painful. and to add insult to injury, it actually smelt obscene on her and the smell would not wash off. it actually smelt like feces. definately a -no- wear scent.

In bottle: There's one bright note amongst a flood of murky, dark notes. The brief brightness is the orange and the bergamot, shining orange balls floating in the muck of ambergis and civet.

On me: Everything becomes very subtle and well-blended as the oils fuse with my skin's chemistry. It is faded and muted, but sweet. The animalistic civet greatly sweetened by orange and bergamot makes this something I would not describe with 'dread.' It is almost like candy, but it's so masculine that candy doesn't seem right at all. Hmm. Very, very difficult to describe..

Bottle (Imp): Sweet lemons?

Just On: Sweet minty lemons?

An hour or two later: Barely there mint over lemon candy.

Around 6 hours: It's really faint now, so I can't really identify the notes, but I think it's still the same.

12 hours: All gone.

Overall: I like this one. I'd buy more if I could.

After reading other reviews: Okay, so the bergamot is the lemon scent. The other fruits are probably the sweet, and I have no idea where the civet and musk went, because they didn't show up on me a bit. This is a good thing, because those tend to wreak havoc with my skin. How sad that this was discontinued, and that it didn't work on so many people. This is one more example of why I need to try everything, even if I think it won't work. This was wayyyyyy down at the bottom of my list, and yet it works nicely on me.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Moldy.

In the imp/bottle: Er, civet. Biting, unpleasantly-sharp, totally feral musk.

On skin, wet: Not as unpleasant as in the imp, but still not something I'm very font of -- I'm guessing this is the civet.

On skin, dry: Still not for me. Now it smells of stale berries and rotten, molding citrus. There's also some dark, unhappy musk beneath the berry/citrus scents.

Conclusion: Definitely not for me. I gave this a shot, because I'd not had much experience with civet, but I'm not terribly surprised that this isn't for me.

Edited by Aredhel

I expected this to be strongly musky and resinous, as civet and frankincense are both usually pretty strong notes on me (and I actually love both notes). In reality, I did not get any frankincense at all, and the civet only lingered awkwardly in the background behind the scent of orange tang :P

Chalky, powdery, sweet orange citrus with a hint of civet. Surprisingly light with poor staying power on me... it went to pure orange powder within 15 minutes and had disappeared around a half hour of wear.

Strange, this one. I think that I actually would have liked a civet and frankincense blend :D but this does not work on me at all.

Deimos - My very first thought upon applying this blend was, “Wow, this is gorgeous!”, followed immediately by sadness over the fact that this has been long discontinued. It’s hard to describe Deimos. Without looking at the scent description, I find it absolutely impossible to define any specific notes. Rather, it’s surprisingly candy-sweet and fruity on my skin – almost berry-like. I can’t believe this scent is inspired by “the personification of dread.” This scent is far from dreadful! I can imagine if you’re the type who gets full on “cat butt” from civet that this could be dreadful, but if civet is a warm, sweet musk on you like it is on me, it’s nothing but positively delightful. Beneath the fruity candy-sweetness is a hint of something slightly dark and murky, but only enough to give depth to the sweetness and keep it from smelling like hard candy. I think it’s actually the ambergris, more than the frankincense, that is given this earthy sense of depth to the sweet fruity scent. Deimos, although soft, has a really lovely level of throw and a little on my wrists leaves a soft swath of scent swirling around me for a good two hours, at which point it starts to fade and stick much closer to the skin, although the scent continues to last another two hours or so. I only have one imp of this blend, and rather than eeking it out over time, I may decide to have “one last hurrah” with it and apply it heavily and enjoy it while I can. If Beth were to ever re-release Deimos, I would buy a 10 ml bottle. I love Deimos. It’s lovely.

at first: sweet orange and slightly sharp bergamot, with some earthy notes underneath.

on: a very animalistic scent. the orange offsets it nicely.

2 hours later: soapy (probably from the bergamot, if i know my skin at all) and sharp. it still has an animalistic base and a hint of orange.

5.5 hours later: still sharp and soapy, but nice, soft, and orangey if i don't sniff too closely to my skin.

7 hours later: the musk is coming out and making things more smooth and sweet. there's still a hint of the orange,

overall: this just isn't a "me" scent, but i'm glad i got to try it. it isn't bad at all and is really interesting and pretty at times.

Smells like baby aspirin right at first. That chalky orangey smell. Then as it dries it gets to be more musky. Sadly not much civet that I can detect… and that particular note is the reason why I wanted to try this blend. Also it seems to get sweeter and sweeter as time goes on, and for me frankincense is usually the culprit for that behavior. Deimos is quite pretty but not a real stand-out on me.