Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stephl

Play-Doh smell -- should I dilute?

For me, linen = playdoh, and only linen. I would wear my precious Herr Drosselmeyer in my hair, but then I can't smell it! And that's no fun for me. So I found him a more loving home. But I can't wait to see the scent lockets! Those promise to be interesting. I'll have to test my scents on me and off me, because I'm sure it's my skin that's making some of my favorite scents smell the way they do.

also if you really love a specific scent that doesn't work on your skin, try wearing it in your hair! then your skin doesn't mess it up :D

You know, it's funny, but scents that turn to playdough on me go playdough on my hair half the time, too! Not always, but Miskatonic University? Didn't work on my skin, and it was still just as horribly playdough on my hair. :P I didn't even want to try it in the oil burner, for fear it'd do the same thing. *sigh*

Either there's enough of my skin oil on my hair to affect the scent, or it's not my skin chemistry turning it into playdough, it's my nose perceiving it as playdough. If that makes any sense.

I thought Play-Doh was scented with vanilla, not almond. It's vanilla scents that go Play-Doh on me most of the time, and not just BPAL - cheap synthetic vanilla scents always smell that way to me, and even BPAL vanilla which I assume is higher quality sometimes does. Not always, though. Snake Oil is definitely Play-Doh on me, and my initial imp of Snake Charmer was as well, but thankfully not the bottle that later arrived.

Almond to me has a very distinctive, pungent scent that reminds me of the cyanide poisoning scenes in Agatha Christie murder mysteries. Fortunately, it usually fades down really fast, so I can wear things like Voodoo and Bastet.

I only own 7 imps, but I have a feeling that Glasgow turns into the infamous Play-Doh you all are talking about on me. :P It is beautiful at first, but the longer I wear it, the more the smell "bothers" me. None of my other imps do this to me. The only thing the lab mentions with Glasgow is heather and blackberry. Does anybody know if it has the almonds or musk that may be the culprit? Please PM me, because if it does, I will avoid either of those in my next purchase.

Thanks!!!

Ah the play-doh note. On me, the biggest offenders were Egg Nog and Midway, and I seem to get a bit of it in Lump of Coal as well.

I posted this in the Snake Oil thread but I'm still amazed at how wearing Snake Oil to work today, someone immediately said I smelled like Play-Doh. I went around making people smell me for the rest of the day and no one else duplicated that observation though.

I can't believe that everywhere I go, people think my Earl Grey tea smells like Froot Loops and think my delightful perfumes smell like Play-Doh, argh! That's it, I'm making up pamphlets to hand out!

My tuppence worth is...if almond IS the culprit, it would explain the Doh elemnt in otherwise seemingly unrelated scents, as Almond oil is one of the most popular carrier oils.

Regards.

I'm not sure if the note that I'm picking up is the feared Eau De Doh, but I get bubbled-gum and barbiedoll-head from Alice. It's quite nasty. (it was the second BPAL I tried...) I think it's the combination of milk and honey for me.

Almond turns to playdoh? Makes sense with Snow White and possibly Spooky. Spooky was horrible on my when it turned to dough. The first time I tried it, it was lovely. Then the second and third were playdoh.

I think honey did that to me in Queen Mab a few weeks ago, due to hormonal changes. Oh well, I'll deal. I have a scent locket and alcohol to make sprays so I will be fine.

I have a scent locket and alcohol to make sprays so I will be fine.

the scent locket has been the best purchase. its saving so many scents for me that i couldn't wear before (Luperci, i'm looking at you here).

n.

I haven't been using my locket much, I admit, but ONLY because I have Xiuhtecuhtli in spray form now. These bottles are my lifesavers, really.

I've been thinking about the playdoh thing and how it affects different people. To me, the chemical smell of playdoh is the dirty-kid-hands-AND-playdoh scent, to some it's just the newly-opened playdoh smell. For some reason vanilla and tonka both turn into plastic like modeling clay and new rubber/plastic dolls. Then honey doesn't seem to want to behave on my skin, turning to slightly-clean playdoh half of the time (curse you, Queen Mab, for being so beautiful the other half of the time!) But almond scents are PERFECT on me, no playdoh. Sure, they fade to a powdered sugar-covered almond cookie, but it's still almond.

Odd the different variations of the same smell are so different in feel. I don't mind that tonka doesn't behave on my skin, it smells like plastic fresh to me anyways. Now if sandalwood starts to go wonky on my skin, hoo boy will that really piss me off.

Like you, I have acid perspiration. I don't wear metal watches either, my glasses need changing annually since I strip the colour from the metal, and silver and I react beautifully, turning each other glorious shades of black (it doesn't matter HOW high the silver content is, it still happens. I've gone through so much silver polish, ehehehe)

Saying that, I haven't had the Play Doh problem, so I don't think it's down to the acid perspiration. Which is a GOOD thing! :P That means you can carry on testing and many many will work for you. I think, perhaps, you just amp almond like I am inclined to amp rose, cinnamon and patchouli.

I also have fairly permanent and constant chronic urticaria all over my body for which I'm on twice-daily medication. This controls it somewhat, but doesn't keep it away completely. I can say though that NONE of the BPAL blends exacerbate it, so that must mean something since it takes next to nothing at all to cause an outbreak (it's not brought on by hayfever or any of the normal triggers - I just drew the short straw unfortunately).

So yes. That. My advice - carry on regardless. :D

Almond to me has a very distinctive, pungent scent that reminds me of the cyanide poisoning scenes in Agatha Christie murder mysteries.

I think I love you.

Hello, I'm an absolute newb, so I can't quote many scents, but I found Havana turned playdough/plasticine/posterpaint on me.

Thanks for the tip on wearing scents in my hair - I'd never have thought of it!

I get play-doh and plastic notes from the sweeter vanilla scents - antique lace, velvet, etc.

almonds and musks are fine on me.

I hear that vanilla gets better with age - will aging these bottle for a few months or even a year help cut down on the play-doh note? Has anybody tried this?

The only scent I've got true play-doh from was Snow White, which might well be the almond, although I have no problem at all with the almond in Black Phoenix, Bastet, Queen of Sheba, and the like, so I kind of doubt it. Unless it really is almond oil as a carrier, rather than the actual scent of almond.

My wrists (where I apply the scents) now permanently smell. No matter what scent I put on after it wears off my wrists smell a bit like play-doh and sandalwood. It's a very slight smell but it lasts and lasts and lasts. Two days later and I can still smell it just a touch. Why? For the love of my sanity why? It's not a big thing but it's gonna drive me batty unless it's answered.

Edit: Ok. Some nice person moved my post because I'm an idiot. Anyways, I think it has to be a carrier oil that reacts this way because I haven't found a BPAL scent that doesn't do this to me in some way or another. Drat. I guess I'll either have to live with it or get a scent locket. But part of the fun is seeing how your chemistry reacts with the scents. Sadness.

Edited by mangaddict

I pimp out Cetaphil products all the time, and I'm about to do it again right here :) To get rid of unwanted lingering scents try this:

1) Wash the area like you normally do with soap or body wash

2) Apply several squirts of liquid Cetaphil wash to the affected area. Let it sit for a minute, the go over the area with a dampened scrubby mitt for another minute or two.

3.) Rinse thoroughly with warm water and pat dry.

4.) Apply Cetaphil face lotion to the area.

5.) Wait about five minutes and sniff the offending area - based on my own experiences, the smell will be gone.

I think there is a neutralizing element to Cetaphil that just kills perfume. I've even used it to get rid of sticky, stubborn scents of steel, like Schwarzer Mond. the wash and lotion are drugstore stuff - pretty cheap, and a small price to pay for not smelling like play doh. :)

Oh, I understand Play-doh! The only scent that turns to it on me though has been Snow White. And I know it's not almond, because Queen of Sheba was pure almond on me and didn't morph.

It can't be the vanilla because vanilla, on my skin, has a distinct plastic smell of a Barbie Doll or My Little Pony. It's a different smell from the Play-doh. The Barbie doesn't bother me as much, it's just really sweet plastic vanilla.

I think, specifically in Snow White, it's the combination of the coconut and vanilla. It's like putting suntan lotion on your My Little Pony and it creates Play-Doh. Or something.... :unsure:

Oddly ( I say that because after looking through this thread , I don't see many others with this problem ) , the one thing I get the play doh smell from is anything with Snake Oil in it . Now , I haven't tried plain SO , but I do have several of the snake pit & all but Death Adder have that play doh moment . There was also some other scent I have that has SO in it ( I'm drawing a blank here ) that had the same thing going on , so I'm pretty sure that the SO is the culprit .

I didn't think it smelled like Play-Doh, but at work one of my superiors kept saying I smelled like it when I wore Miskatonic U. Now I'm afraid to wear it again, despite the fact that I thought it smelled like a perfect bookshop scent. Hopefully after it ages a bit it will change in a positive way.

Oddly ( I say that because after looking through this thread , I don't see many others with this problem ) , the one thing I get the play doh smell from is anything with Snake Oil in it . Now , I haven't tried plain SO , but I do have several of the snake pit & all but Death Adder have that play doh moment . There was also some other scent I have that has SO in it ( I'm drawing a blank here ) that had the same thing going on , so I'm pretty sure that the SO is the culprit .

How odd. A while back I wore a bit of Death Adder to work, and my officemate asked "what smells like playdoh?" I was crushed :cry2: . But I still wear it :).

The only scent that goes crazy playdoh on me is Madam Moriarty. Extreme red musk funky playdoh. (No other red musk blend does this). Snow White goes through a playdoh phase, but that doesn't last long.