Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gogo

Red Musk

The Great Sword of War is a GC and has both cocoa and red musk. I found that the mandarin sticks around a long time on me but I amp BPAL citrus. The red musk in this blend is very nice.

Centzon Totochtin! Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood. Even though red musk isn't listed specifically as one of the notes, I think it's part of the blood component. I love Midnight Kiss, and found that Centzon Totochtin has a very similar feeling to that. It's in Excolo, and it ages so beautifully I have a backup bottle stashed away to age. The bottle I'm wearing is from 2006, and the boozy notes from the rum and red wine have smoothed out and it's all very well blended.

Also, it sounds like your tastes have changed, if you now like Smut and Mme. Moriarty, so if you can find Midnight Kiss I'd retry it, too.

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions guys! I think Midnight Kiss is definitely one to retry.

Sunshinedaisybliss- Black Temple Burlesque is already a favourite, black musk is really amazing with my skin. BB2 and BB3 I've never heard of, so I'll go look at some reviews and perhaps try to track some down if it doesn't look too hard to do. Cerberus will definitely go on to the wishlist and I'll endeavour to find some to try. I did re-test Pom IV just after I wrote that last entry, and it wasn't quite as bad as it was on its first application. I made sure I gave the decant a really good shake (I know, I shake my heavy cocoa absolute blends. Naughty me) and it was still quite tart, but I'm hoping perhaps with time it might get a little better. I don't think the thyme is helping matters at all with the tartness, adding a terpene herby quality which isn't bringing out its best. Again, aging might change it, or so I hope.

Hilary- thanks for the Infernal Lover/Black Temple layering suggestion! I will certainly give it a try, sounds scrumptious considering I love the two individually (I'm sooo planning on at least two more Infernal Lover's as back ups before the weenies go). I was also thinking of Infernal Lover with Bliss too, that might be interesting. It's going to be a very versatile blend for layering, that's for sure.

Marared- already a favourite, natch. So good. Thanks for suggesting it.

Trisj- I was looking at that one, but the mandarin scares me. Reviews mention it's pretty strong. It sounds near perfect otherwise. Thank you for your thought's on it.

Poenari- I do recall having tried that one previously, but I don't take note's or anything, so I really don't remember my impressions of it. but I will certainly hunt it out again as it sounds lovely. It may do to age it before making my final verdict on it too, so thanks for letting me know that it ages so nicely.

Dang, now to go hunt down a decant of Midnight Kiss.

The Infernal Lover is my favourite red musk blend to date and I am planning on hoarding the stuff when I put my next order in in two weeks. There's something about it that is just magic on my skin. I was at work a few days ago and the deputy manager came over to explain something to me and instantly she said 'oh my god, you smell amazing! what is that?'

Of course I told her what it was and dutifully supplied the BPAL website at once. Share the love!

Also, The Grindhouse and Mme. Moriarty are pretty lush. My favourite will always be Infernal though, I bloody love the stuff ^__^

Everyone's said everything I'd say except for Elephantine Colossus. I'm so obsessed with finding a bottle of this it's not even funny. It's lush and smoldering and foody and throw-someone-up-against-the-wall sexy and playful all at once.

The Solider is also amazing---possibly my favorite Yule thus far. Starts out all pie, ends all red musk and leather. Omnomnom. :lol:

(And yeah, every red musk lover needs to try the Infernal Lover. Just ridiculously amazing.)

I'm loving this thread! Some of my fave red musks to-date are Fenris Wolf, The Infernal Lover, The Great Sword of War...and of course Snake Oil-but this thread's given me a few more red musk blends that I'm going to have to give a try (some of which I'd managed to overlook in my wishlist/musings of blends-I-need-to-try-sometime)

Everyone's said everything I'd say except for Elephantine Colossus. I'm so obsessed with finding a bottle of this it's not even funny. It's lush and smoldering and foody and throw-someone-up-against-the-wall sexy and playful all at once.

I agree. I just received a bottle of The Elephantine Colossus, and it is almost all red musk, in an utterly amazing way. It is fairly foodie, and just incredible. I love it! If you're up for foodie scents at all, try this for sure.

I agree. I just received a bottle of The Elephantine Colossus, and it is almost all red musk, in an utterly amazing way. It is fairly foodie, and just incredible. I love it! If you're up for foodie scents at all, try this for sure.

Bump of an old thread to say that yes, the Elephantine Colossus might be one of my top ten favorite BPALs of all time. Someday I'm gonna have funds for a backup bottle.

And adding that Red Lace is a new favorite red musk of mine. Very sweet and dainty, but just a little slutty from the twist of musk :lol: I love it.

Ladies, Mircalla, Countess Karnstein!

Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli.

I don't even like red musk and that was tolerable on me, so for those that do it will be an absolute hit. It's richly sweet with a twinge of spiciness and the familiar warm haze of red musk. It's an '09 Halloweenie scent though (my gosh, I just realized I'm getting to be an old hand around here :lol:) so may be difficult to track down.

For me, the Infernal Lover showcases red musk beautifully. Boomslang is another must, and not just for its red musk awesomeness.

Recently, Satyr has really impressed me.

Boomslang is awesome. Also Hellcat. When I first opened the imp I thought "eep! What the cupcake!" and slammed it shut, but I tested it tonight and found it to be lovely. And red-musky as well. not a twin of Red Lace, but a similar feeling.

OK, so looking up the ingredients of Hellcat, I don't see Red Musk, which I thought was there as it is also in the amazing Luxuria bath oil. hmmm, I wonder what that is then that I love so much...

Edited by stellamaris

I think a lot of people are put off by either vetiver or patchouli, but I absolutely adore Bloodlust. I think the red musk balances the mixture out quite nicely. It's my perfect "We're doing it my way, or... I WILL TEAR THIS WHOLE THING APART WITH MY BARE HANDS! ROAR!" scent. My nearest and dearest have come to recognize this one and what mood I'm in when I wear it. :D

So I've realized that I'm in love with red musk... but only under certain conditions. For whatever reason, red musk is just very sugary on me, like just a musky sort of sugar cane. It's delicious, as long as I can remember what it does on my skin and don't expect it to be too 'musk'y. I also tend to amp it to the detriment of other notes in the blend, as seen by the fact that Spawn of the She-Demon and Io (moth) smell the same on my skin after a few hours.

I really liked Io, though, since because of the sugary thing red musk does on my skin, it turned into Skittles for a while before it settled down. I'm also a fan of cinnamon and other spices in that family. So, does anybody have any good recommendations for red musk + fruit and red musk + spice? I need to hunt down my decant of The Infernal Lover, because I'm sure I'm going to love it and it'll turn into a deeper sort of red musk SN on my skin.

So I've realized that I'm in love with red musk... but only under certain conditions. For whatever reason, red musk is just very sugary on me, like just a musky sort of sugar cane. It's delicious, as long as I can remember what it does on my skin and don't expect it to be too 'musk'y. I also tend to amp it to the detriment of other notes in the blend, as seen by the fact that Spawn of the She-Demon and Io (moth) smell the same on my skin after a few hours.

It's funny--I feel the same way about Spawn of the She-Demon. It's okay on my skin and I certainly don't dislike it but it reminds me a lot of Dragon's Musk, Bloodlust and a few other darker red musk blends.

However, a few of my friends ALWAYS KNOW when I'm wearing SotSD and absolutely love it on me. Apparently it's "my scent." They can distinguish between it and other red musk/black musk blends on me, even though I can't really, and I'm usually pretty good at identifying subtle differences and notes in blends.

Just one of those weird things. I guess it's nice that despite my constant bpaling, I have somehow found a signature scent?

Necrobump!

I've recently fallen madly in love with red musk. Currently my favourite is Now Winter Nights Enlarge - I love the combo with caramel and honey. I think I like sweeter blends containing red musk. I have Mme. Moriarty as well, but she's mostly currant and patch on me.

I am trying to track down The Elephantine Colossus, because it sounds like exactly everything I love.

Any other recent recs for me? I've tried most of the GC blends with red musk, though Hollywood Babylon is still on my list. Love Snake Oil, but it's not musk heavy on me.

If anyone has any LE recs from the past few years that may still be possible to track down, I'd be grateful!

Necrobump!

I've recently fallen madly in love with red musk. Currently my favourite is Now Winter Nights Enlarge - I love the combo with caramel and honey. I think I like sweeter blends containing red musk. I have Mme. Moriarty as well, but she's mostly currant and patch on me.

I am trying to track down The Elephantine Colossus, because it sounds like exactly everything I love.

Any other recent recs for me? I've tried most of the GC blends with red musk, though Hollywood Babylon is still on my list. Love Snake Oil, but it's not musk heavy on me.

If anyone has any LE recs from the past few years that may still be possible to track down, I'd be grateful!

Smut

Aged Mme Moriarty

Fenris Wolf

Great Sword of War

Lucy, Kissed

Hollywood Babylon

Bloodlust

Bathsheba

I love this bump! Red musk is one of my fave notes also. A few suggestions:

A Rosy Colour Paints Her Claws with Honor (if you're also ok with rose and bourbon geranium)

Psychodynamic Discharge (if you're also ok with leather and vetiver)

The Tumultuous Vultures of Stern Passion (more vetiver here)

The Infernal Lover is really tough to find (and was released more than a few years ago), but it was AMAZING. I dream that it will come back some year.

A Rosy Colour Paints Her Claws with Honor (if you're also ok with rose and bourbon geranium)

The Infernal Lover is really tough to find (and was released more than a few years ago), but it was AMAZING. I dream that it will come back some year.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of A Rosy Colour, I may have to track some down, I've seen a few floating around the forum.

Just tried Hollywood Babylon, someone kindly frimped it to me, so I just got it today. :wub2: This is what I wanted the Instructional Manual to be...sexy red musk with hints of creamy strawberry.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of A Rosy Colour, I may have to track some down, I've seen a few floating around the forum.

Just tried Hollywood Babylon, someone kindly frimped it to me, so I just got it today. :wub2: This is what I wanted the Instructional Manual to be...sexy red musk with hints of creamy strawberry.

I adore red musk and it usually amps on me in a good way, that gets me a lot of compliments. In addition to the ones listed above, I would add:

Krampus - Sinister red musk, black leather, dusty rags, and wooden switches. I get a ton of red musk from it myself. I didn't order this year's, but I don't think there is a lot of variation from year to year.

Mircalla, Countess Karstein - Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli. This is such a favorite of mine that I have a few backups. There is currently a bottle available on the Lab's Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/157217140/mircalla-countess-karnstein-5ml-black

I adore red musk and it usually amps on me in a good way, that gets me a lot of compliments. In addition to the ones listed above, I would add:

Krampus - Sinister red musk, black leather, dusty rags, and wooden switches. I get a ton of red musk from it myself. I didn't order this year's, but I don't think there is a lot of variation from year to year.

Mircalla, Countess Karstein - Languid, melancholy fire: red musk, purple orchid, frankincense, smoky vanilla, Styrian herbs, peru balsam, tonka, Zanzibar clove, and patchouli. This is such a favorite of mine that I have a few backups. There is currently a bottle available on the Lab's Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/157217140/mircalla-countess-karnstein-5ml-black

Ooh, I may have to try Mircalla! I'm a fan of most of those notes. Any idea what the "herbs" are? I'll have to check out the review thread. Thanks for the rec!

I got a decant of this year's Krampus. I kept it because I really liked it, but feel like it's a little masculine on me. I may have to retest it.

ETA: scored a bottle of The Elephantine Colossus, can't wait to try it!

Edited by LizziesLuck

Necrobump!

Bright Red Dildo from this year's Lupers is red musk, leather, and honey. Along the same lines, Eldritch Dark is sugared roses (I believe you like sugared florals, too, if I recall correctly), leather, red musk, black musk, and honey. I like Dildo but Eldritch Dark is on a whole other level. I loooove it and would recommend it highly based on your love of honey and red musk. I don't often get along with black musk but find it's not overt at all in Eldritch.

Agree with sprout that Smut may be right up your alley as well.

Edited by SimplySyra