Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Sol

Authority - Creativity - Courage - Leadership - Abundance - Good Health & Healing - Illumination - Truth - Honesty - Wise Counsel - Prophecy - Pride - Revelation - Equilibrium - Mediation - Nobility - Generosity

I don't get the piney note that some get from Sol (thankfully), though I do get the initial sour tanginess (or as cuervosueno said, pickling spices).

But the sourness evaporates quickly on my skin, and it's a warm, sweet blend - to me, this smells like amber, orange, and white florals. As it dries, the spice kicks in - warm cinnamon and clove.

Beth definitely captured the warmth and white/goldness of the sun in this blend, and I love it. :P

Origin - part of the TAL circular swap

Wet - a warm, golden glow of a scent. Citrus with just a touch of spice.

Dry - This is a very soft scent, with very little throw. The citrusy top note might be bergamot and then there are herbs and spices. If this was a little stronger on me it would be gorgeous, but as it is I can barely smell it.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

From the Celestial Swap.

This one faded so fast I'm trying to recall the scent from memory now. It was a very strong spicy scent at first, maybe something green. Then I got a powerful gardenia smell for awhile. Next came a light citrus scent that was very nice with a little vanilla, maybe a blood orange or orange blossom. But soon after that it faded almost completely. Very pleasant while it lasted though.

I never posted my reviews from the Celestial Swap- so here goes!

Sol is a bright, fiery, powerfully spicy scent. It's fierce and hot, with a quality that I wouldn't hesitate to call blinding.

It's a brash blend of citrus and spices. Used sparingly, it's warming and pleasant, but I imagine that it could be overpowering in larger doses.

On the whole, I quite enjoy it, as hot spicy scents are my forte.

Oh wow!

First I recieved an imp of this from another wonderful forumite, then I happened to snag a bottle via the alchemylab LJ!!!!

It's GREAT.

Ultimately sunny scent- warm and glowing when you wear it. Light, refreshing.

Herbal and citris mingle in the bottle. As it's worn the herbal disappears on me and I get a happy citris scent- not lemon, not lime, not grapefruit, not orange- but a combo of my favorite varities of each.

The bright part of lemon, refreshing part of lime, sweet parts of orange, and a nice snap ending of grapefruit.

This one makes me feel like every day I wear it is sunny!

Sol

In the imp: spicy sweet fruit! This reminds me of the Tarot oil, The Sun, but spicier.

Wet on skin: mmm! Something spicy, possibly cinnamon, and an orange-sherbet scent.

Dry on skin: this is nice! It's a bright spicy orange candy scent with something resinous and bright-maybe frankincense? Possibly something herbal here as well, there's a note that reminds me of dried grains turned golden by the sun. And maybe heliotrope too. It's fizzing with solar energy, a cheery, warm scent. It reminds me of many of the other solar oils, like the Sun, Ra etc.

After a while: I'm sure there's something herbal or grassy, but it's not a 'green' scent at all…it's like scorched grass, dried in the sun, like hay, or like the desert. I get a feel of intense sunlight here-this is a strong scent, it's got a little hint of something spicy here, and that golden scent of something quite fruity and orange, with heliotrope and something resinous and bright-maybe frankincense and/or pine. Something about this scent hints at the sun's more fiery aspect, it's relentless heat, the desert and heat-waves, dry hot summers when the heat gets a bit too much to handle.

Verdict: this is another lovely solar oil. Bright, shiny and golden-orange in scent, this is another scent that encapsulates the sun. It reminds me of the tarot oil, but much stronger, maybe a bit hotter as well. It's slightly fruity, possibly with some resins, spices, heliotrope and something that reminds me of golden hay or sun-scorched grass, or desert herbs. It's a warm, gorgeous scent, with a similar feel to the other sun-themed oils-it's a feel of golden, hot light, the sun at the height of noon in summer-it has a feeling of heat that can be intense as well as welcoming. It's a fascinating scent and perfectly made to recreate the sun's aspects in scent.

Wet I get cinnamon over lemon and a bit of clove.

This is a conflagrant, bright and strong perfume. Really like the sun.

First sniff: Sol is somewhat similar to the Tarot Sun scent, but it’s a bit more reserved and quite a bit sweeter. It strikes me as a yellow floral rather than the citrus/wood scent of The Sun.

Wearing: A teensy-tinsy bit soapy beneath the yellowness, but it’s wonderfully bright. As it dries it develops a very happy spice note. Good stuff.

(Origin: TAL circular swap.) Citrus and sugar, like lemonade. This is a yellow-orange color, lacking the fiery bite that I'd expect of a Sol blend. However, it does feel appropriate because it reminds me of summer, and lazy days spent poolside. I don't know if I would use this in ritual to represent the Sun (I would want something more spicy and hot), but this is an interesting take on a solar blend. I bet it'd make a fabulous room scent.

I agree with the yellow-orange color description. It fits.

Until this one dried completely, I kept getting a lotion smell. It was the smell of unscented lotion; you know how it still has a lotion smell? It was like that. Then after it dried it went to a very soft spice with lotion. It sort of reminds me of something that had either frankincense or myrrh in it and a floral like heliotrope.

112810602.jpg

In the bottle

Lovely sweet and resinous.

On

OMG! Juicy! Orange, lemon, amber, heliotrope, cinnamon? OMG this is good. :P

30 minutes

Even less sweet and more orangey and lemony. Now it's like I'm smelling a fresh orange peel in one nostril and a fresh lemon peel in the other. Wow.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity/Resin

Summary

All this time I've been looking for the perfect orange blend, and I never though to look for a solar blend. Of course it makes sense now.Yep, this is the best orange blend from BPAL yet. It's way better on me than Seraglio and Kuntkzkammer, Rakhasha even. :D And as far as Solar blends it's better than "Ra", "The Sun" as well. It's more sunshine-y but more yummy too...more bright.

I can't believe it took me this long to Finally try Sol.

Purchase again?

Yes. A 10ml if ony I can find one.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Ohh, this is wonderful. I smell cinnamon, copal resin, and lemon. To me, this is Chimera's fair-haired and light-hearted sister. It's very true to it's name in the sense that it is both bright and sunny smelling. I'm /so glad/ I tried this /after/ I heard Beth was bringing back the celestials. I might have gone crazy insane otherwise. :P

I admit that I tried this only because I wanted to see what it would be like before it was re-released. It didn't sound like something that I would like (I'm not a fan of citrus), and I'm not terribly fond of it.

It has that bitter sour smell/taste of a lemon or orange rind. Very sharp citrus. Then in the drydown a bit of spicy clove and cinnamon mingles with the citrus. It reminds me of the holiday potpourri that my grandmother always buys. It looks like an orange stuffed with cinnamon sticks.

I'm sure that people who like citrus will love this, but I won't be needing a bottle.

This is a very lemony scent, but lemons that are white rather than yellow, as if they were lemon light bulbs or something like that. Saying that though, it's not a cool white smell, but a warm dry white smell with a feeling of freshly laundered, soft bathtowels.

After a while I start to detect cloves, then it becomes like oranges with cloves poked in them. I quite like this scent and if the returning Sol is similiar then I think I'll be picking up a bottle.

sol.jpg

Very bright blend which strikes me as coniferous on one hand, lemony on the other hand, magical on a third hand, clovey on the fourth hand, perhaps a drop of orange but that's just a small thing here and that's on the fifth hand.

Strong and punchy, this blend really says THE SUN! I love it for its uplifting properties and can truly say I have never smelled its equal for conjuring up the idea it's named after.

A great blend for celebrating the Winter Solstice (it is a great plea for the sun to return to ascending the heavens high), or the Summer Solstice (a thanks and imitation of the sun as it rides at its peak).

Re-released 10/16/05

In the bottle, strong lavender(that's what I get, anyway). As soon as it touches skin, the lavender fades with just the slightest herbal scent and a soft, dry cinnamon starts to appear. Reminds me a bit of one of the Voodoo oils but can't think of which atm.

After about...20 minutes or so, there's a gorgeous, warm spicy vanilla with a touch of clove coming through.

Lovely!!

Edited by Eros

Sol arrived today (thanks Lab!!!)

In the bottle: Very spicy... is that lovely, trance-inducing, Delphi/Grecian Apollo temple bay laurel amid those lovely spices?

On: And yes, amber with the cool-vanilla of heliotrope (that's appropriate! :P ) and sun-kissed oranges. The voodoo oil Eros spoke of... Block Buster perhaps? Good nose! Verrrrry close!

Nope. Not getting dill or gerkins here. Its a soothing Winter Sun slowly returning to warm the land; the leavings of yule with brief glimpses of spring.

'Sides that, its VERY sexy and sultry. Glad I bought two that will NOT be up for swap anytime soon, if ever.

One hour: I do wish it would last a little longer on me, as my chemistry rapidly devours spicy scents (among my favorites, naturally.) The heliotrope and amber linger though. Very nice little bit of twilight there.

This one requires some stunning label artwork, sorely missed.

I love this blend! It's a warm spicy sunny blend. I picked up two bottles, even though I'm trying to cut back, because I tend to be all air & earth, & I figured I could use some fiery motivation. I'm glad it smells so wonderful!

On me I pick up the lemon/orange, heliotrope & clove, with some cinnamon, but not so much that it smells craft-shopesque. Instead it's a full warm citrus that I love, even though I don't usually go for citrus.

It does fade quickly, but I'll happily reapply to keep that warm sunny goodness going. I'm looking forward to wearing this on cold wintery days when I'm missing the sun ...

This is warm and dry and spicy. Definitely very much like the sun. I don't get a lot of throw from it, though, so I have trouble identifying the notes. I think I get cloves in this, and definitely a citrus note. There is also something like pine, which I wouldn't have expected, but it works very well.

As it fades away, I catch something that reminds me of incense, but isn't actually like incense, if that makes any sense. Resin, maybe? And a hint of florals as well, but nothing very strong.

It ends up being sweet and herbal, while still smelling incredibly bright. I wish it were a little stronger, though.

Sol '05

In Bottle: Sharp citrus and metalic

On Skin: Lemon incense. Or something sour yet darkened with a resin or incense. Someone mentioned lemongrass and I think I’d agree with that. It’s bright, but the darker note behind it, it feels like late afternoon, the sun has been a it’s brightest but is now setting. It’s still warm but not hot out. A yellowy orange scent, not red…

I’m actually not sure why I ordered this scent, but looking at it’s intent, I think I will try and use it to see if it works.

Wet: citrus, spice, sharp and clean, reminds me of a clove-studded orange

Dry: less citrus and clove, more flowery (I guess that's the heliotrope?) Very warm, round, and welcoming, rather complex, nicely balanced. Sitting by the fireplace on a late winter afternoon with the sun streaming in through a southwest window.

After 15-30 minutes: On me, the citrus and clove disappear quite quickly, unfortunately. It leaves a lovely, warm floral and maybe musk or amber (not good at naming scents), but I liked it better earlier when it was more complex.

Before long, this fades into my skin but leaves a slight warm glow. Very lovely but not as unique and sumptuous as it started out. If I had an imp of it, I'd definitely keep it, but I'm not sure yet if I really want 5 ml of it. It's beautiful, just not sure it's me.

This is my favorite herbal BPAL so far -- now I can get rid of those imps of Arcana and Calliope. This starts out with a citrus zest burst; not sweet and juicy, but dry and effervescent. There's also a piney/herbal note that might be rosemary or bay. After several hours it dries down to a faintly herbal amber, with something sweet to it. Very fresh and energizing.

Sol is pure Constant Comment tea, in the bottle, wet and at drydown. I mean it smells exactly like Constant Comment! The same blend of spices and citrus with a herbal background (the herbs must be what is giving that tea note).

I got this to use as a ritual oil, so the smell is actually quite pleasant, but I wouldn't wear it for an everyday perfume as I am not really keen on smelling like spicy tea!

As far as the "intent" of this oil, for what it's worth I had a presentation to give tonight so I dabbed on a bit of Sol and I did feel confident and empowered, so it works for me as far as bringing out those Solar qualities.

Edited by Chrysantza

A sharp red/amber scent. It's rather spicy and dry. This is a really hard one to describe, but there is no doubt that this represents the sun beautifully. It makes me think of scorched deserts and sand dunes. There are a few different spices, but they are hard to differentiate, maybe some cinnamon and clove? Maybe some incensey notes in there? This one's not bad but it's a little fierce for me.

Sol is like pure liquid sunshine on my wrist. I put on two tiny swipes of the imp wand, and it feels like scent is pouring off my wrist. It's a strange scent, though, almost unclassifiable. It's a little sweet, like honey, but not. It's a little floral, like jasmine, but not. It's a little grassy, like...well, grass, but not. It's all those things, jumbled together and warm and strong, but more. I don't need a whole bottle of this, but I'm really glad I got to try it - I hope the other Celestials are as powerful and interesting.