Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Nanny Ashtoreth

Middle Eastern flowers, amber, honey, blood red-berries, whip leather, and polished paddle wood.

This smells so familiar and it is driving us crazy! I keep smelling it and smelling it and I cannot place what it is. It was instant love. I fell asleep with my wrist over my nose hoping I would dream about whatever it is it reminds me of. At any rate, it has a touch of sweetness and amber, and the leather is apparent, but the rest combines into this mystery I cannot solve.

I *know* this scent. K says it smells like incense that we used to burn often. Damn, I wish I could put my finger on this.

In The Bottle

Sweet and lightly floral

On Application

The above with honey and little smoky leather

Dry Down

This is really light. It doesn't take long for the woods and leather to emerge and make this blend awesome. This is so hard to describe but it is no true to the concept it is awesome. I get a floral perfumey quality overlaying the leather and hard wood ad throughout a smokey subtle spiciness.

Rating (0-5)

in the bottle: all wood

wet on my skin: polished wood

dry on my skin: interesting. it's calming down to a very worn, comfortable wood scent with a leather backdrop. it smells like maybe someone's grandma's house...but not in a creepy old person way. it's more of a warm, comforting thing. picking up a tiny bit of spicy amber and a waft of sweetness that must be the flowers/honey/berry, but they're not distinct enough to identify individually.

bottom line: comforting, warm, dark...but something feels a little bit off. i'm going to let this age a little bit and reserve judgement on whether this is a keeper or not. i like it, but i don't think it's something i'd wear often. time will tell!

I received an imp on this and gave it a try. I could smell florals briefly when wet on my skin and then this turned to ashtray. Must be the leather, because DeSade turned to ashtray on me too.

Swaps!

Hmm, I don't know if mine was mislabeled or I just have very unfortunate skin chemistry but this was awful on me. It smelled like stale cigarettes...like furniture in the room of a 90-year old smoker. Really unpleasant. I don't think I've liked any scent less in the whole BPAL collection.

Edited by neuilly

I thought this would be sweet and flowery, but tis not the case! Right off, this is a woody blend, with a bit of sweetness, probably from the honey. I still find it more masculine than feminine, but it definitely smells sexy. I probably wouldn't wear this, but may pass it on to a guy. It kind of reminds me a bit of Antikythera Mechanism.

It's likely just a question of something going wonky with my chemistry, but on me, this is Nanny Ashtoreth after she's taken her teeth out and put on her fuzzy wumple slippers.

In the bottle, I smell the leather, wood, and berries, but on my skin? Gentle, warm wood and amber with just a whisper of florals. It disappeared within about half an hour, leaving just the tiniest gentle trace of polished wood.

I'll have to give it another try at some point, but this might end up being another for my husband's collection: on him, it's all leather.

At a glance, I like these notes. Amused at the paddle wood.

Wet on skin: Paddle wood and a little brownish leather. In the bottle this smelled more floral, and almost a little spicy, but I'm not getting that on my skin. I'm surprised to find no berries at all -- they usually come out early. So far, this is flat and plain.

Dry: A pinch of amber comes out and warms the blend a bit, but mostly, this is dull varnished wood.

Disappointing. This has settled a few days, but I'll see how it ages further. I don't expect it will bring out the MIA berries, though.

Bottle from a forum purchase.

Leather & wood, on me. Very close to Aziraphale. Nanny seems a little sheer and incomplete, like maybe she's designed for layering. I will have to experiment.

Wet: Very manly. Woody and manly. Not very strong, on me. So far not my thing at all. Sadly, not getting any of the first 5 listed notes, just a bunch of manly wood.

Dry: This gets much more floral as it dries, but still smells quite masculine to me. I like it much more than I expected, but I am not sure that it's really "me" or that I would wear it.

In the decant: Flowers, berries, polished wood, some honey, and a bit of leather.

Wet: I think the polished wood note may be mahogany, the same one used in The Red Queen. I’m getting that note, honeyed flowers, some tart, red berries, and some leather.

Dry: I’m getting a lot more of the whip leather now, backed by the polished wood (still thinking mahogany) and tart, red berries (maybe currants). Behind those notes, I can smell the amber and a smattering of florals, but they are not as strong on me.

Verdict: This one is not my cup of tea, but I’m glad that I was able to try it.

When I first applied Nanny Ashtoreth, I could barely smell it. Another of the Good Omens scent did this to me -- Buggre All This Bible barely bothered to show up on my skin -- so I was worried. But in a moment or two Nanny started to bloom, and I got leather and classy, woody men's cologne. No berries or florals (which is fine with me on both counts), no recognizable amber or honey; they all combined with the woods to create the impression of cologne. This trends to the masculine side of unisex, which is also fine. It stayed close to the skin and had average wear length. It's nice, but I have other leather-cologne blends that are stronger on me, so I won't need more than my decant.