Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

Upa Upa

Spiced rum, coconut, pineapple, and vanilla.

I wasn't too sure about this one because in the bottle, all I can smell is rum. Don't get me wrong. Rum is lovely but I don't particularly want to smell like I've just come from happy hour.

Wet, the rum recedes immediately as pineapple takes the lead. There's bit of coconut here too. It IS like a pina colada. Still not something I want to be wearing when the director of the agency or the Commissioner drops by. *hic*

Fortunately, the vanilla picks up a little power and begins to blend with the fruit. What I am left with is soft and refreshing. And I don't smell like booze. Yippee!!!

Upa Upa

I wanted to smell like a fruity umbrella drink during these dark and dank days of late fall, but all I got was hot, spicy rum. Sadly, the coconut and pineapple never showed up to the party. The spices in the rum were so strong, my husband actually jumped away when I waved my wrist under his nose. :P

I'll keep looking for the perfect umbrella drink perfume. In the meantime, Upa Upa goes into the go-away pile.

In the bottle all I could smell was rum. On application it is pineapple and rum with the tiniest hint of vanilla. On drydown it is a perfect umbrella drink. This will be perfect to wear all summer long. Now to track down the rest of the Tiki bar scents.

In the bottle the smell reminded me strongly of buttertarts, and i'm guessing that is the rum and vanilla coming through.

Wet, it smelled very strongly of cinnamon hearts! I kind of love it. :D

As it dries down, the cinnamon heart scent receeds, but is still present. A creamy rum scent comes into play.

Over all, this scent is just lovely. 4/5

First sniff: Warm pineapple cookies. It smells way more like a baked goodie than a cocktail.

Wearing: Very serious pineapple, warm bakery vanilla, a little sprinkle of toasted coconut. Nom nom nom.

Wet: Flowery, sharp tropical fruit.

First on: VERY sharp pineapple and booze. Bleh.

Dry: Still too sharp, and yet somehow also soapy. Not a fan, which is disappointing.

Imp: Alcoholic Pineapple

Wet: Very rum-ish. The alcohol note is very strong...like "would attract unwanted police attention" strong

Dry: Well it's all mellowed out now. It's like a blended tropical drink, which I'm sure was the point. It's like a twist on a Malibu Bay Breeze. It's fun and all, but I'm not sure it's for me. There's someone out there that would make this a perfect summer scent.

Looking at the notes I did not expect to like this scent.

Vanilla turns plastic on me and I'm not a huge fan of coconut. But when

I got my first whiff of this I knew that if this worked on me it would

definitely be a keeper.

In bottle: All coconut with a hint of rum.

Wet: Spicy, most likely due to the rum, with a slight hint of coconut

which is tamed down by the vanilla. IMO this isn't much of a foody

scent.

Dry down: More of the spice from the rum emerges and it becomes this

sexy, sweet, spicy scent.

This is my new favorite scent! :wub2: I must horde this! So anyone looking to

sell, I'm your girl.

Yum! Very rum and coconut! Pineapple and vanilla in the backround but still detectable. On me these smell the same as in the bottle but this has got a lot of throw! I usually don't have to reaply this when I wear it.

Trying this one out after I failed on another earlier....

In bottle: rotten fruits, in a good way. Maybe I'm getting a cold, god knows.

Wet: Spiced rum. Heavy spiced rum. nothing but.

Drydown: I'm getting cinnamon and spiced rum... was hoping for more of the coconut (very faint but there)

*sigh*

As with all my other Atomic Luau Lounge scents I ordered this from the lab when it was live. Unlike all my other scents this one had not seen a lot of wear time.. Enough to slap on a "foody" sticker with it's name on the lid, and that's about all. Well then, lets give this a go..

Mmm.. rum, coconut, and vanilla all from the bottle.

Spicy, warm, a little fruity but not exactly sweet. Cinnamon isn't listed in the notes, but there is definitely something like cinnamon on my skin. Maybe it's a spiced rum.. The vanilla starts to come out after a while. Sadly, it's somewhat of an artificial scent.. I'm not sure this works well on my skin because of this, but since I do love the scent I'll be keeping it for a locket or perhaps for my hair. It would be perfect for a day at the beach, or a hot summer night.

Edit: Hmm.. so this does morph out of the artificial vanilla scent, and it turns into a warm cinnamon/clove and slightly vanilla.. which reminds me exactly of Pickled Imp. Strange! I'll have to try these two side by side one day..

Edited by ShadowsDance

Upa Upa

I don't usually re-read the descrpitions when I try a new oil, I just slather it on and then try to identify what's in it. Upa Upa: pineapple definitely, and something warm and spicy... spiced rum, I'd wager, annnnnd... oh! there's coconut! I missed the vanilla, but 75% isn't terrible. Better than my average, I'd say. Anyway, Upa Upa is just what it says, and it is fantastic. The 'spiced rum' isn't boozy, it's actually more 'spice' than anything. Specifically, it smells cinnamonny to me. Cinnamon + coconut, which is both interesting and delicious. :)

I just acquired a bottle of Upa Upa and I adore it! In the bottle it definitely smelled butterscotchy and rummy. When I put it on a hint of cinnamon came forth. At first it was a bit overpowering but after about 30 minutes it started bonding with my body chemistry. Now I'm sorry I didn't try to get more of this one when it was available. I really love this scent.

In the vial: Boozy coconut with a spritz of pineapple juice. Noms. Also getting a whiff of buttery cinnamon buns.

On me: Cinnamon of Death that's just on the verge of pencil shavings. I can't smell anything else. I'm very sad because I can smell the pineapple on the toothpick I used. Skin, you suck.

Edited by trollgirl

In the bottle: Woaahahhhhh buttery rum!

Wet: Buttery cocnut pineapple rum! This is a dreamy pina colada scent...not cheap smelling at all, rich and spicy and delicious.

Dry: Warm, spicy coconut. Again, Beths rum note is outstanding. This is such a dreamy, tropical scent...and a fruity perfume that actually lasts on my skin.

Overall: This is another household favorite, my husband and I both have been wearing this one since last summer. Yummy!

of every type of alcoholic beverage i've ever had, coconut rum is probably the worst. i just don't do coconut, and i don't really like pineapple. so this just smells like a pina colada nightmare to me :( thankfully it is going to a new home!

When I first purchased this, I was very excited, but my happiness was quickly dashed by the fact that it went straight to burny plastic on me. But I couldn't quite seem to let it go, hoping that age would help (usually, for me, agind doesn't help burny plastic). B ut in this case, either aging, or perhaps a skin chem change has made the scent work for me! :dance:

Bottle: Spicy caramel-heavy rum.

Wet: Wow, so super spicy. With creamy coconut rum. No pineapple to my nose. This reminds me of a "coconut oatmeal cookie" cocktail that I used to make all the time--a blend of malibu, irish cream, goldschlager and buttershots. Yum!

Dry: A little less caramel-y on the dry down, but still very much a spiced oatmeal cookie w/ coconut cocktail. Delicious smelling--a rich spicy coconut vanilla coctail.

Overall: Glad I had patience with this one, its really wonderful. No pineapple, but that's fine with me, cuz what's here is delish!

Upa Upa is like... pineapple that's been soaked from the inside out in a brown sugar solution. Slightly fermented. Obviously, my skin doesn't like it. The rum has kind of curdled the pineapple, if that were possible.

Once it's long dry, like three hours, it becomes a very pleasant, light vanilla/fruity scent with the very barest hint of booze. But it's not worth the drydown with my mad skin chemistry. Also I'm not a fan of Malibu and that's the impression I get from it, with the "alcohol" of the rum mixing with the coconut.

Very much a tropical cocktail, though. If you like pineapple and rum, GO FOR IT. Just not my cuppa Zombie.

In the vial: Light, sweet, refreshing pineapple.

On, wet: Mmm, this blossoms into a delicious pina colada, very authentic and not fake or plastic at all, with a touch of spice to make it unique.

Dry: Oh, hell. This was perfect wet, but dry it pulled the same trick as Te Po and turned into plain cinnamon. In fact, it smells almost exactly like Te Po did on me, just a little creamier with hints of vanilla and coconut-- I can't smell the pineapple at all anymore. Pretty much just a cinnamon fest, starring cinnamon with special guest cinnamon.

I guess I amp cinnamon, then. I wish I could get this to stay as lovely and tasty as it is wet. :(

This is one of those oils where I bought a decant, liked it, bought a bottle, and realized that it was way too strong on me. I thought of swapping it away, but figured "hey, I liked it enough to buy a bottle. Just be patient".

So today I put a dab on my wrists before working out, and it's almost a different scent. The super strong spiced rum has mellowed considerably, and the vanilla is a major player. Coconut is only there to give added dimension to the vanilla. (Fresh, it was all coconut & spiced rum on me). This is going to be my go-to tropical scent this summer. Good thing I'm patient!

MMmmmmm a very very spicy pina colda at first then it starts to smell like a Chrsitmas fruit cake that has been soaking in rum for days. The pineapple is there trying very hard to grab my attention. Might be too foody (vanilla) for me .. will have to wait and see. Yummy for now though.

Upa Upa

Pineapple is strongest here, with a creamy coconut-vanilla. The spices in the rum remind me of plum crisp, like in Spicebush Swallowtail. It's both tropical and fall-warm feeling, which is interesting. Yum!!

This was totally worth buying a bottle unsniffed, which is something I very rarely do, as even the best lists of notes (Hesperides, I'm looking at you) can turn on me. In the bottle, this smells thick and heavenly and sweet. On my skin, it starts out perfectly balanced between the vanilla, rum, and coconut. I looooooove the creamy beginning stages before the pineapple starts to come into play. At that point, it sort of smells like a fruitier, smokier version of Elegba.

Admittedly, I was a little sad that it only took a couple hours for the top notes to fade, but I really love the spiced rum that's left behind. Yum!

Decant from forumite :)

In vial: *best George Takei voice* oh my. This smells like a cabana boy making a piña colada for me.

Initial diagnosis: Yum and yes to both!

On skin: Pineapple drenched in butter. Butter, butter, then... Cat pee? WTF? I've heard of this but never thought it could happen to me.

Prognosis & final diagnosis: Guess pineapple is my note of doom. I love it but it abuses me like a bad boyfriend. Very unfortunate.

Edited by Doc M