Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Nature spirits and protectors of the world's groves and forests that appear as breathtakingly beautiful women. Hamadryads are born into a tree that serves as both a home and an anchor for the creature's soul. They are sometimes tricksters, sometimes seducers, sometimes helpful and benign, but they are always fierce and furious protectors of the natural world. Seven dry woods with mossy lichen and a gentle breeze of forest flowers.

Hamadryad- In the bottle it seems like it's going to be too 'perfume-y' for my tastes. On my skin it's still perfumey but I detect a new sharp-sweet note coming through. As the minutes wear on this scent morphs rapidly and constantly. It occurs to me that this is how I would have imagined Lolita to smell like, there's this sticky-sweet note with a definite breath of cosmetic-counter perfume underneath. As far as this sweet note, I'm gettiing... cinnamon hard candies! Like red-hots, I guess, though I haven't ingested such things since I was a wee thing. The perfume underneath seems to be a sweet, jasmine based, more mature scent, like something I might pick up as a classy, attractive white-haired woman dressed in designer clothing walked by me in a store. But, how uncharacteristic! She's chewing big red!

Well, I don't like cosmetic-counter perfume and I don't like Big Red (though I do like cinnamon notes, this is spicy cinnamon as opposed to cinnamon buns) so this doesn't work for me. Even if it changes drastically in the next few hours, I don't know that I could stand to smell like this for more than 5 minutes.

Last sniff 6 hours later - Is that a bit of ginger I detect? Well, this one doesn't even get a second chance. Definitely not my scent.

Oh, this is LOVELY! :P This is cinnamon and sweet woods, with a delicate green undertone. I was expecting something like Tarot: The World, with it's loud powdery cinnamon and dry woods, , but this is sweeter and lighter and the notes blend together far better. This is a bright, warm woodland with sunlight peeking through the treetops. Beautiful :D

In the bottle: cinnamon & florals, maybe a bit of moss?

First on: It's all sweet & florals on at first, after a few minutes the cinnamon comes out to balance it.

Drydown: Cinnamon, maybe clove? the mossy scent is still there, but most of the sweetness has gone away. it's very faint, which is unusual for cinnamon, but I really like it. I wish it were jsut a bit stronger.

Love at first sniff. This is a sweet, cinnamony forest. Finally, I've found a cinnamon blend I can wear- it's sweet and lovely, but not the sickening stickiness of the other ones. It actually smells like cinnamon rather than cinnamon candy. There are some florals here but they're soft ones and they don't dominate. I thought I'd found my ultimate feminine forest scent in Hexennacht, but this is giving it a run for its money- they're absolutely nothing alike, but they fill that quota in their own unique way. :P

This smells like a freshly brewed tisane made from the spicy woody bark of a tree, it's sharp, somewhat medicinal smelling green leaves, and sweetened by the nectar of some of it's delicate yellow blooms. I don't know what sort of tree this would have to be, but I can picture a little wizened crone of a woman who lives deep in the heart of the woods making a potent brew of it to serve to wayward minstrals and princesses who are running away from home.

Hamadryad

In the imp: mmm, slightly cinnamon-y! There's also something reminiscent of woods and bark here.

Wet on skin: not bad! It has a slightly ginger or root beer-y smell, but there's also a dry woody smell, reminds me of tree bark. And there's a bit of spice.

Dry on skin: wow, this is nice! This smells like dry cinnamon sticks with other woods and tree bark. It's got an autumnal feel to it, I swear I can even smell dry leaves in this. It's spicy and dry, and warm and woodsy. I can't smell the flowers, but I can smell the woods and a hint of lichen on the bark, which is not as bad as it sounds!

After a while: something in here is reminding me of mulled cider, even though it's not listed as a component…it's like a spiced cider scent. I can also detect a little bit of oak moss!

Verdict: I've found my perfect autumn scent! This is a lovely blend of dry woods, spices and leaves. Think of an autumnal pot pourri made from cinnamon sticks, wood chips, dry leaves and chips of bark with a sprinkling of spice (and with no horrible synthetics)-and this is what it would smell like. There's a lovely strong cinnamon scent, like cinnamon sticks, and a dry wood scent that is makes me think of tall trees in the autumn sunset, with leaves swirling all around, and a little bit of moss. It's a wonderful blend and I'll be wearing a lot of this, especially when summer ends.

I tried this one at the Toronto Meet'n'Sniff, because it had been on my wishlist for a while and I was thinking of doing a swap for it, but it really didn't work on me at all. I didn't really get the spiciness that other people have mentioned, or much a foresty scent either. It was more like a commercial perfume or house scent, maybe a potpourri or something. And not one I'd like - there was something simultaneously dry and cloying about it, which I found really unpleasant. I gave it some time to settle, but it didn't get any better, and I ended up scrubbing it off in the washroom. Oh well - one forest scent that's definitely not for me.

In the imp: A woody floral. Not too sweet.

Wet: Not so much with the liking of this one. The floral is turning sickly sweet.

Dry: I smell like a woodshop that had an air freshener problem. Like the previous post said, it smells commercial. I like the woodsiness, but not the mix of floral that's coming through. No cinnamon for me, fortunately.

Not a scent for me. I am disappointed.

Wet - sweet woods.

Dry - more of the same, sweet woods. This is a beautiful scent, but I wish it was a bit stronger on me. I will definitely keep the imp, but probably not a bottle, although I am not entirely ruling it out.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3

In the imp: Smells like a crisp cold apple with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

On me: Now I know what powder is, but it's a very spicy and pleasant powder. Sweet cinnamon and sugar goodness, like putting it on toast. The nice sweet floral scent that goes powdery on my is unknown at this time (not good at finding which floral is which.)

Overall: This was recommended as a fall type of scent and it does remind me of leaves and ripe florals and later I can smell something woodsy in the background, reminding me of Dublin. While I hated Dublin, I enjoy this specific scent, I think it's Cypress. I'll use the imp but won't order any bottles.

I first tried this a long time ago, perhaps late last year. I had been prepared to order a bottle unsniffed because I am mad for woods. Mad, I tell you! But when I tried it back then it was just cinnamon on me, in particular the type of "I just walked into a craft store" cinnamon that I don't like. Since my tastes have developed a bit since then I'm glad I got to try it again to see if it's any different to my nose now.

However, it's still just cinnamon bark on me. Now, I like cinnamon bark in cooking (curries) and I can enjoy it in some perfumes if it's not in the forefront (I like Geek...and I like Silk Road, but cinnamon burns my skin in almost all other cinnamon blends). But in this it is really overwhelming any other notes and I can't smell anything else. It really smells to me like something I'd get in a craft store and I know that's just because my skin is broadcasting the cinnamon at the expense of everything else.

I do catch a hint of the vaguely spicy scent that is lingering in the background of Dublin, but this just isn't the woody scent that I was hoping for. I don't smell anything at all but cinnamon. I think a lot of people would like this, but it's definitely not for me.

Bottle: kind of a light floral with a sharp spice.

Skin: Initial impression of this was "Dublin"? It's Dublin-esque but less sweet and rosy.

After a bit: I smell cinnamon and florals. An interesting combination that I'm not sure works for me. I do love cinnamon, but the florals almost make it a bit too precious. I know many people deem this a fall scent, but to me it seems light and spring-like. Which is probably why my review is a little less favorful that it should be. I'm in a more fall mood, so I will keep this until spring, and give it a try then.

Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely scent!

Had to try an imp of this because the reviews sounded spicy & people recommended it to those who love cinnamon.

In the imp: pale floral. Smells like Arkham Revisited - flowers on the breeze.

On me: Now I smell flowers & a hint of wood. I wouldn't mind more wood, but this is mostly a very light floral. Disappointing. After a while I can pick up a hint of spice, but it's cinnamon bark - very dry & just barely there, not the spicier, warmer cinnamon I prefer.

Pretty, but not amazingly wonderful for me. I'll keep the imp for days when I feel all ladylike - they come up every now & then. Won't be needing a big bottle though.

This is an elusive scent...I can't quite figure it out. In the bottle it has a lovly soft floral scent (not too femenine) and a hint of something woodsy. This one seemed promising to me. However, when i applied it to my skin it immediatly evaporated and dissapeared!

I guess the description is accurate, flowery, a bit woodsy...and named after nature spirits...it just dissapears! :P

Such a shame, I thought I would really love this one.

At first I really like this...it smelled like sweet grass and soft flowers. There's a little bit of spice in the background.

As soon as I get it on my skin...cinnamon. Nothing but. I smell like a red hot. It fades a little bit, but still overwhelms the other notes on my skin.

Beautifully blended...DH and I both love this one.

Soft and earthy, it reminds me of Zombi but much less monsterous and more everyday wearable...the woods and flowers are alive, not decaying, but resting lightly on the mossy forrest floor. The floral is so soft and dark; the woods are the majority of the throw. There is a spicy-appley feel to it, without being overly so. So many times I think I want spiced fruit scents that just smell like an autumn candel; this is NOT that. I am so, so glad. I don't usually do woods (they are like pencil shavings on me), but this is just working with my chemistry.

This is a new favorite for both of us...definately a fall scent (my favorite...).

Edited by lookingglass

Intoxicating. Sensual. Pacifying. Mesmerizing. These are words I might use to describe Hamadryad. The sort of scent turns males into a sort of pliable jelly to be molded as the wearer pleases.

At first whiff there is something old fashioned about this scent. It reminds me of scented Christmas garlands and potpourri. It's a scent that I associate with grandmothers, which seems utterly contradictory to its underlying sensual nature, but the mind doesn't really care at this stage. It does not want to debate whether or not this scent is age appropriate. It simply wants to be wrapped in this smell and comforted.

This is precisely what a nymph should smell like, in my opinion. Not alluring in an overtly sexual sense. If this were about sex, my defenses would go up. No, this is sexy, but innocent, guileless, and somewhat otherworldly. It slips under the radar and lures me in, and I understand suddenly why so many men were led away by nymphs to never again be seen.

Ladies, wear this, and I just might be your slave.

Hamadryad Haiku,

He needs the firewood,

But spares the tree. Grateful, she

Warms him with her love.

I tried this one in imp form. Wet/sniffed from the imp, this has a slightly medicinal bite. Once it dries on the skin, it blossoms into this beautiful sweet and woodsy scent. Hamadryad is a very sexy witchy scent, but it comes off more sunny than smoky. It also blends well when complimented with vanilla or amber based scents. I'm getting a 5ml of this one for sure.

It seems to be androgynous enough to suit both men and women. It also makes an excellent room scent and linen spray.

After reading others reviews, I am starting to wonder if I actually got an imp of Hamadryad or something else. Either way, it is a gorgeous, bright and sweet, but not at all in a sexy way, more in a subtle wholesome goodness way. I smell no cinnamon (which is making me question if the lab send the wrong thing by accident or mislabelled or something) instead I get something sweet like an apple almost, but it's not fruity and a bit of floral grounded with a slight wooded scent. Whatever it is, I like it very much and am planning on ordering a 5 mL of it.

I love it more in the bottle than on my skin.. the damn flowers are reeking havok again. I'd love to know where the apples & cinnamon scent I get in the imp goes when it gets on my skin because right now this smells like some disgusting perfume I bought when I was a teenager. I wish to Dog that this scent would stop beating me over the head with the weird 'synthetic apple' note.. its getting annoying. "Seven dry woods with mossy lichen and a gentle breeze of forest flowers"- why am I being tormented by apples?? Damn my crappy body chemistry.. damn it all.. .I'm hoping that in trying it again later it gets better. Worse to worse its a candidate for being turned into a perfume spray or a lotion... maybe my chemistry won't mess with it if it has been diluted.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Surprisingly floral.

In the imp: Earthy cinnamon. The moss, I'm guessing. Herbal, but oddly sweet.

On skin, wet: Floral woods, emphasis on the floral. Not quite what I was hoping for (a wood/cinnamon scent, specifically).

On skin, dry: Becomes incresingly floral, until I notice nothing but soft, mossy flowers. That is, until an hour later,when it becomes spicy florals, and then promptly disappears.

Conclusion: Not bad. Not what I was expecting, but not bad. Not me, however.

Edited by Aredhel

This brings out my inner hamadryad. My cat scratches her claws in me.

It's just like the spring t-shirt i just bought from The Mountain, just like this perfect crisp day of sun and ethereal air all thew way to the mountains and the clouds.

Since I love cinnamon and woody scents I was very much looking forward to trying Hamadryad.

In the vial: dry cinnamon and several woods. This is very interesting, since all of the cinnamon BPAL I've tried before has been sweet cinnamon.

Wet: a quick rush of damp woods and moss, and then some apples appear. They're sweet but tart, like good MacIntosh apples ripe on the tree.

Dry: this scent was very interesting. Close to the skin I got tangy apples and a touch of green, but the dry cinnamon hovers over top of everything and can only be detected at a distance. The waft is a lovely mix of all three scents, and very appropriate to a forest spirit.

Unfortunately I think the apples in this are a little too sweet for my liking. That doesn't make this scent any less astonishing -- I've never encountered a scent with distinct layers which can be passed through in proximity to the skin!