Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Pollution

A toxic chypre: radioactive green musk, davana, and oozing white amber.

I thought this would be a "green" scent, but it seems like it's mostly musky, in that kind of stinging perfumey way. It's green too, but that's not the dominant part of the scent. I'm not sure what davana smells like, but if that's what I'm smelling in this, I like it.

There's something almost sporty about this scent. Like, slightly aquatic. I think that's why it's making me think of cologne. But it's really pretty far under that stinging-ness. I think the white amber is turning a little powdery on me, but it's not bad at all. I think it's mostly taking the edge off the scent.

I would like to wear this for a day (full-on wearing it, not just testing it) and see how it goes. I think this is the sort of scent that would grow on me. It's so different from what I usually wear, but it definitely intrigues me. Edited by filigree_shadow

This smells like cigarettes and perfume, but more perfumey. Not what I was expecting. I know this sounds weird but I smell a hint of body odor.

Later...the cigarette scent has disappeared, so now its just perfumey.

This is a generic and cloyingly sweet perfume, almost nauseatingly powerful. Not subtle in the least.

Not bad, but Definitely not something to slather.

In the imp: This smells oddly (and ironically) fresh to me, kind of like green in overdrive.

On, wet: Heavy on the musk, but not overbearingly so.

On, dry: I'm getting floral from the davana, which I looked into, and Wikipedia says that "Davana oil is emotionally balancing and calming, aids in calming down anxiety." Whether or not it's psychosomatic, I'm certainly feeling much less anxious than I was feeling yesterday, so that's a nice effect. I'm not really sure that I like this, though, as the floral is turning a little powdery on me (one day, I swear, I will find a floral that doesn't do that to me). If not for that, I think I'd like this, because it's a nice, unisex blend.

10 hours later, this has mellowed down into something really, really pleasant: Soft and warm, clinging really closely to my skin. If it smelled like this the whole time, I would *adore* this.

Edited by catatonic1242

Mmm musk... I'm a huge fan of musk but they sometimes go a really bad way and I'm still trying to figure out which ones work or have the potential to not work. This one seems to work very well, especially on my husband :) He smells absolutely great with it on! Very masculine, slightly harsh, but with a sweetness that brings it all together. Keeper!

I mostly smell the sweet green, then sweet amber, and then musk under. I really like thsi one, it fits my clean scents that I like so much, but is wildly different than the rest of the group!

This smells like a super-sweet, artificially flavored fruity kids’ drink. Like a neon green Gatorade or something. But in a good way! It’s a surprisingly happy scent, all sweet and fruity (in a tropical, pineapple-y way, from the davana), and then there’s more sweetness and a little warmth from the musk and amber. I’d love to smell a single note green musk so I can see how it differs from other musks. I think I really like green musk. This isn’t the style of scent that I typically go for, but I’m thinking about a bottle…

Many thanks to CD for sending me a sniffie of this! :wub2:

At first, Pollution is overly ozoney on me. Gradually a masculine, musky citrussy scent emerges and the ozone fades away, thank goodness. The citrus is very 'green', which I'm guessing is the green musk. I love all these notes, and they do not disappoint. A little does go a long way, however, and he is a bit overbearing at first with the ozone vibe. This blend would be great in the summer months, and I'll most likely pick up a bottle before then, as I find very few 'fresh' blends work on me. Glad that I found one that does!

Bottle acquired: October 2007

Musky, green cologne. It begins a little floral, but then Pollution oozes out from the center in a glowing mass of sharp, ozoney goo. O sweet apocalypse. Nuzzle.

I love Pollution. It's masculine and cologney which normally wouldn't appeal to me, but it works so well here. My first impressions of Pollution were that it was clean & crisp, the sort of BPAL I'd pick on days I don't feel like wearing perfume, if that makes sense. A different decant got me a slightly different Pollution--one that went a little tobacco-y (interestingly enough, decant is from TrailerTrashPrincess who also mentions tobacco in her review). Tobacco is usually a turn-off, but Pollution turns it into something intriguing. Love it!

In the bottle this does very much smell bright, green and almost cleanly fuzzy.

On wet it brightens significantly, most likely the daviana, although I personally do not find it floral in the least, it's more of a citrus note than floral. The green musk is sharper than other musks I have tried, and I think the daviana is contributing to that.

On dry the brightness softens quite a bit, with amber entering the song. It's actual amber that works well on my skin, moving the scent from a bright green to a very nice lighter tone. This one is kind of defying description for me. I feel it is more masculine that Famine, less masculine than Crowley.

It will definitely be going into my rotation, however I'm much more mad for Famine and Crowley than Pollution, which is funny, because in the bottle I actual fancy Pollution more than Famine. Never judge a BPAL by the bottle sniff, I suppose! ;)

I have had my own little bottled Pollution for almost two years now. A long time, I know. Maybe too long at this point.

Wet, the smell was of a very floral masculine scent. Very green, and almost like an oozing dish soap. Very unclean soap. The kind that leaves a film.

I liked it though, and it seemed to have potential. In a morbid curiosity kind of way. I usually wear masculine sweet scents but I wanted something different. Something crisper, and maybe carcinogenic.

Dry though.. Dry was another story.

Five minutes and it definitely had a radioactive tinge. Green and unsettling. Very fake, very unnatural. This wasn't the smell of decaying garbage, but of industrial waste and sludge. But with roses? There was something there and I thought it might develop further.

After an hour though, it became pure soap. A soapy, synthetic fake floral that no matter how much I scrubbed my wrist just wouldn't get off. This thing has a oil spill size throw, even with the smallest of dabs. Still, I wanted to like it. I love the concept, and Pollution was always one of my favourites from G.O. so I tried very hard. I let it sit for a month, then two, then it was 6 months and still it wasn't working. A year later, I might have to give up on this one.

Maybe my skin chemistry just amps all the wrong things in this. But on me it loses any kind of that masculinity once it dries and just smells like bitter old lady soap and there is no denying it.

A year later, I can still go back into my closet and instantly pick out which clothes I mistakenly wore with this scent, as they now and forever smell of radioactive southern old lady perfume. If I focus long enough I'm sure they have a slight glow of green. Maybe it works for some people, I can see how it might if a person has the right chemistry for greens or really soapy aquatics, or is actually a radioactive green glowing grandma. However, I simply can not pull off any of those things.

Oh boy, I'm in love. All the yes. I bought this because I love 51, and I was not disappointed. This is like the sophisticate perfumed sibling of 51.

In the bottle: Is that you, 51? It's the green musk and white amber. This is far less woody and more ladylike. I get floral with this in a different way than 51. Ozone too, my love. Hi there!

Wet: sooooo green. I love it.

Dry: My husband called it "old lady perfume" but if this is what an old lady smells like, I am so down for getting older. I LOVE IT. Fresh, bright, ozone, green, floral. Loooooove it. I'm sad I only have a 1/2 bottle honestly.

However... it is pretty close to 51. My 51 is super aged, it's more like 59 by now if we were counting, haha. They do vary quite a bit (51 is less 'bright green', it's got a lot more wood and salt to it.) Surprisingly, I prefer Pollution to my 51 though. Love it.

I blind bottled this because I had been curious about it for so long, but it is usually out of stock. I thought it would be in the same family as 51 and could be a another perfume in that scent family that I could gift to my mom, and it is indeed.

Pollution starts off strong on the green musk and smells sweet and perfume-y, with a tinge of a dry desert-like note. It becomes drier and more high-pitched over time as the davana and white amber increase in prominence, and some ozone tags along with them, making this smell waaay more perfume-y than it did initially.

I enjoyed the wet stage of this scent, but this eventually wound up being too sharp and dry for me. If you're looking for a scent similar to 51, however, definitely give this one a try!

Edited by doomsday_disco