Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Wezwanie / Hold

Hazelnut, vanilla bean, red sandalwood, amber, myrrh, and honey.

If you're longing for this and you can't afford it just now, don't despair. You're not missing much if you've already tried scents like Bliss, which Wezwanie is just like in the imp. On my skin, it takes on the spicy sandalwood/myrrh dimensions, so it's slightly chocolaty spice, tho not foody. Goes faint after a while. It's pretty, but not amazing. Will finish the imp, but I doubt I'll buy a bottle.

Wezanwie/Hold - When I first apply this, it's very, very foody and the scent of it instantly whisks me back in time about 30 years to when I was a little girl who collected scratch-n-sniff stickers. I don't have a clue what sticker this reminds me of, but it definitely smells like one of the stickers in my childhood collection. The scent is incredibly foody and sweet, without being sticky - very nutty and almost caramely. As it dries, however, the sweet foodiness disappears and the sandalwood, amber, and myrrh (which all loooove my skin) warm up and dominate over the nut, honey, and vanilla notes. It's a gorgeous blend of woods and resins and keep catching wafts of it and am thrilled at how good I smell. It doesn't have very good staying power and after two hours, I can't smell even the remotest hint of the scent, but for the first 30 minutes or so, it's really wonderful.

I really get the hazelnut in this one. It's the nutty/vanilla combo, but not completely foodie. It shares certain similar qualities to Haloes, in that it has this golden ethereal light to it.

If you're looking for a lighter nuttier Haloes, I definitely recommend this one. This one is also for a foodie that is looking for something a little bit different. Not just straight up foodie. But rather, an illustration of food. A glorious illustration.

Super duper hazelnut at first. Not that I mind hazelnut, but it's not my absolutel favorite scent. As it dries it gets a little more complex, but all in all I get perfumed nuts. :P Well you know what I mean! I think I know who this bottle is going to end up with....

I received a sniffy of this oil last night, and it smelled so lovely in the bottle that I thought I would wear it to work today. I don't usually do this with new oils. They usually get the skin test on my arm first, but I had only a few drops, so I thought I may as well make the best of it.

Unfortunately, this seems to reinforce my impression that my skin and the honey note in some BPAL are incompatible with each other. This scent is a lovely, warm nutty scent of a May day in the bottle, and after only a few minutes on my body, straight dust and powder. I do think it's the honey; it's done it before in other oils. If you love BPAL's honey note, and like vanilla, and nuts, you may have a lot of luck with this oil. It's really beautiful, in the bottle.

MMMMmmmm, hazelnutty goodness. I smell Frangelico!!

There are also other notes, not all of them I adore, but I can't pinpoint them and they seem to hold off on this enough so that I can enjoy the hazelnut/vanilla scent. Unfortunately that part doesn't last as long as I'd like. It has a soft throw, and short wearlength. That's the only part that's holding me back from getting my hands on a bottle, I think. It'd probably be gone in a month from slathering so much.

I like almost every note in this ... I wanted to love the oil. Sadly, I wasn't too successful in my mission.

Out of the bottle, this is so sickening and cloying sweet that I can't even manage to put it on my skin. Because my SO loves it, I wanted to at least like it, but the combination of hazelnut and the sweet notes turns this into super-sweet candy.

Sadly, this wanders off to the land of Bliss, along with the other 'too sweet' candy scents.

In the imp: hazelnut, warm woody hazelnut.

On: Still warm and foods: woody hazelnut with a hint of spice cupboard that reminds me of Ventriloquist's Dummy, without being too much. A worrying over-sweetness emerges quickly.

Dry: Burned nutty honey and Radox. Huh.

After a while: Hazelnut cookies had a threesome with Radox and the old London Mind-Body-Spirit festival, and this was the result. I still can't figure this one out.

I was worried about the hazelnut in this one, but wanted to try it anyway. I guess I was right to be worried. In the imp it smells like...yep!...hazelnut! But it also has a nice woody base to it.

On me, however it is super hazelnut! Some sweetness to it, and a hint of wood, but really pretty much the nuts, and I'm not crazy about that.

Just a little bit nutty, but mostly a warm, slightly woody scent. It really does smell warm to me. Rather comforting. I like the hazelnut in this -- it makes it different from the usual vanilla/amber or honey scent. Gives it a very slightly foody aspect.

This is not overly nutty on me, and it's quite pretty.

Wezwanie/Hold

In the imp: mmm, nutty honey. And yes there is something vaguely Storyville-ish to this.

Wet on skin: gorgeous! Now I smell sandalwood and nutty honey and vanilla!

Dry: this is wonderful! The sandalwood is dominant now, and it’s nice and strong, a warm solid wood with a comforting undertone. It’s fused beautifully with the vanilla, and there’s something almost like Storyville to this combination of wood and vanilla. I also smell the hazelnut, which doesn’t smell like syrup or caramelised nuts to me, just like a lovely sweet nutty accent to the sandalwood and vanilla. And there’s a layer of honey on top. I think I can just about make out the amber. This is decadent and delightful.

After a while: mmm, now the honey has gone up a notch and this now reminds me of the ‘honeyed Heroine’ with the name I can’t spell…that’s probably due to the combination of the amber, sandalwood and honey here. I love that honeyed Heroine, so this makes me very happy…and instead of the tart currant note, I get sweet sugary nutty vanilla, a scent almost reminiscent of hazelnut meringues, sprinkled on this gorgeous honeyed sandalwood.

This then goes back into that lovely nutty vanilla and sandalwood, not as honeyed now…but now I can smell amber! Gorgeous glowing golden amber joining in with the sweet woodsy loveliness. The scent moves between the soft woodsy vanilla to amber and honey and back again. It’s such a lovely scent!

Verdict: this is one of the best honey blends out there, as honeyed-vanilla-amber scents, this is much, much better than O on me! This smells golden-brown, decadent and luxurious. The honey is runny and sweet, the hazelnut adds a perfectly nutty richness, the vanilla is sublime, the sandalwood and myrrh add a nice grounding touch and the amber, especially after some time, really makes this scent glow. It’s gourmand, but thankfully the amber and sandalwood prevent this from being fully foody, and this scent doesn’t cloy at all. I can’t wait to see how this ages…I bet the amber will really pop out and the notes will be richer and even more delicious.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes, now I want a bottle!

If you like this, try: Séance, Svadihnopatika (I know I’ve spelt it wrong), Mouse’s Long Sad Tale, O, Sed Non Satiata

This is all powdery nut 'n' honey on me, and after a long while something a little bitter - I think the myrrh? Nice, and I can see how it would be lovely on others, but it's just okay on me.

The notes were so promising when I first picked this up, but after a few tests it just seemed a little sickly—hazelnut sometimes tastes that way too me, a thick creaminess that almost upsets my stomach, like drinking way too much milk. However, I came back and retested it on a whim, and it amazes me how much these scents can change and how complex they are. I don't know what was different when I wore it this time: maybe my nose, maybe my chemistry, maybe my moods the last few days—since I've wanted something a little foody and quite smooth. This time, the richness which made me feel ill before is joyously decadent. With the hazelnut, vanilla, and honey it's a perfect match to the creamy foodiness I was after; the sandalwood and amber take it out of the realm of "what are you baking?" which I appreciate as I'm not at heart a foody. As a plus (when it works well, at least!), it has an incredible staying power: after six hours, it was still strong, after sixteen hours the whiffs of the resins are still there. I may have to add this back into my scent library. It's not an oil I'll wear often, because normally I'm not in love with it, but it's good to have because it perfectly suits this niche mood of mine. I'm pleased to have rediscovered it.

In the decant: Reminds me a bit of Storyville - spices, sandalwood, resin?

On: Definitely nutty, in a fuzzy comfort scent kind of way. The honey isn't doing anything noticeable which is good because 99 times out of 100, honey goes pretty funky on me. The slight spiciness is still there, and I'm not sure what's causing that.

Dry: Another in the "nice but I don't need more" - I'm well stocked on fuzzy comfort scents! Several hours later, this has settled down to a vanilla-based honey incense blend.

sweet, foody, smooth, and delicious, and i say that as someone who is only so-so about most particularly foody scents. it reminds me vaguely (just because it's in the same family of scents, not because of any note similarity at all) of haloes, being undeniably gourmand, but equally undeniably perfume-y.

This is sooooo much better than I had anticipated.

I get mostly hazelnut and vanilla with a bit of myrrh. On my skin it fades very quickly into honey and amber (this tends to happen with me) but in my scent locket and my hair it stays all day. Its been well over 8 hours and I'm still getting gentle wafts of almost-foody-but-not-quite. Sandalwood never makes an appearance, and that's just fine with me. This is gorgeous! Someone else said that this is reminiscent of Storyville, and I have to agree. Storyville without the musk, if that makes sense.

A frimped partial imp, whoo! Thank yous!

This scent is sweetly nauseating hazelnut at the beginning, but after a few minutes on the skin, the fake-coffee-hazelnut note calms down and the blend becomes more complex and darkly sophisticated.

Overall, it's still a sweet blend, but the amber, myrrh, and hint of sandalwood give a sexy dark vibe, an undercurrent of something "more" under the safe vanilla. I can't pick out honey as a note, myself.

I like it!

4.3 out of 5

This is the first time in a while that I've been able to wear a blend that features amber and myrrh. I am so glad that it works on me! This is a really great scent. I've tried it on a couple of times at Healthy Living in Burlington, VT, and loved it both times. I succumbed and bought a bottle of it today. :P

Wezwanie/Hold is very hazlenutty, but not in an overpowering way. The hazlenut has the forefront, but it's warmed and sort of...spiced by the amber and myrrh. It's not overly sweet on me, just a bit - mostly it's warm and comforting and gently sensual, and it wears well and feels right even at a time of year when this isn't the sort of oil I'd generally find myself reaching for. I am really digging this scent, people, and I encourage you to go find some and put it on. :D

the ultimate hazelnut scent. i loooove hazelnut. here, it's perfectly enhanced by the sweetness of vanilla and honey. warm, nutty, incredible. the myrrh and sandalwood are noticeable as well. their lovely spicy resins develop more several minutes after application. but the hazelnut is still going strong at that point, too. i'd definitely classify this as a foody scent. must hunt down a bottle.

Edited by tinyvulture

In bottle: yummy cake batter, yet also rich and womanly! The hazelnut is grainy (as in Harvest Moon 06) - how on earth can a scent be grainy?

Wet on skin: warm and rich and soft and womanly. Foody, yet not foody. This is sooooo good! I don't want to take my arm away from my nose ever again!

Dry on skin: OK - the drydown isn't quite as good as the wet stage, but it's still lovely! Hazelnut, vanilla and honey are sweet and foody, but they are perfectly balanced by the warm, woody radiance of the sandalwood, amber and myrrh. Move over 13 - I have a new foody-perfumey favourite (meaning one I can wear to work as opposed to straight-up foody, which I only wear at home)!

An hour later: this fades really fast, so I put some more on my neck, while sniffing my arm to work out what it smelled like, because it was kind of odd. Not unpleasant, but not as it had been for the first hour. I finally realised it smells of mushrooms! Not all the time. The throw remains warm with amber and myrrh, but close to the skin - indisputably mushrooms! I wonder if aging it will help?

Mmmmm...I love foody scents so this was right up my alley! Very foody and luscious at first, but then then that disappears and it fades into a sweet sandalwood/honey blend. Almost incense-like. Very nice! :P

I've been tracking this one for a while and finally got some to test. I knew I had to have any scent that had hazelnut, vanilla bean, red sandalwood, amber, myrrh, and honey.

I wore it today. It lasts about as long as I expected, meaning, that I put it on at 5:30 am and it is now 5 pm and I can still smell it.

Anyhow, when freshly applied it was lovely smooth resiny sweetness, with a rough bit of wood at the base. Not having the notes with me, I was left guessing what that note was, but, it was most likely the red sandalwood. Sandalwood doesn't always start off so rough with me, so it might be that it was red sandalwood? Anyhow it eventually settled down into almost almost a cinnamonny note, about four hours in and then around 7 hours in just blended into the rest. To me, this is not a foody scent.

I got lots of wafting scent during the day. The scent up close had a bit much wood, but, that was only close, and only for the first few hours of a terrifically long lasting scent.

I'm going to guess that this has some notes in common with Tushnamatay, somewhere. The hazelnut and the red sandalwood could be different, but, the rest smelled fairly similar.

I thought I was really going to like this one. Unfortunately, I don't think hazelnut plays well with my skin. That seems to be the only new note in this blend, I've had positive results with amber, myrrh, red sandalwood, honey and vanilla bean. When I first put it on, this is very nutty, and as it dries, it takes on an odd undertone. The top notes seem to smell pleasant enough but on me there seems to be a disconcerting base that smells, well, off for lack of a better description. Almost locker room/plasticky kind-of. Unfortunate, because I thought for sure based on notes I had a winner.

Yay for decants!

In the Bottle: Mmmmm buttery hazzlenut. :P I could use some peanut butter that tastes like this smells and I'd be in heaven.

Wet: The myrrh really comes out when it hits my skin and all I can smell is myrrh. But the myrrh dies down and blends better after a minute so it's a nice combination of myrrh and buttery huzzlenut.

Dry: Less buttery on the drydown, so it's more of a slight;y smokey hazzlenut

Verdict: Definite keep. And, while I wouldn't say it's worth the, oh, four hour drive to pick up some more :D , I might pick some up if I was in the area.

4/5

In the vial: Mostly hazelnut, but other sweet and spicy notes make this smell very rich and complex indeed. It may be kind of foody, though.

Wet: Roasted hazelnut-vanilla, with very rich resiny undertones. This may not work for me as a perfume, but it smells fabulous.

Half an hour: The hazelnut has fallen back into a better balance with the rest of the notes. Now I get resin, honey, and hazelnut in approximately equal proportions -- spicy, sweet, rich. The other notes are hard pressed to keep up.

One hour: The vanilla has overcome the hazelnut, making this a great deal less foody but no less spicy, sweet, and rich. And the red sandalwood hasn't soured yet -- bonus! But it's a little like wearing a spice rack: the blend of intense, wonderful scents is so overwhelming, I am losing the impression of my own skin lying beneath the oil. It's not that it's too heavy, because it's not; it's got very little throw. But it's covering me rather than enhancing me.

Two hours: The myrrh is turning out to be the dominant scent here. I love myrrh, and it's by no means overbalanced. But in this blend I think I'd like it better if there weren't quite so much myrrh. The blend of it is quite wonderful, though, and I'm at a loss to understand why I'm not more drawn to it since it's full of notes I love.

Three hours: Now it's more amber and less myrrh, it's more bearable. It's weird, this one. I like every single element in it, I like that it is not delicate, I like everything about it, but when push comes to shove I just don't want to smell like this. How curious! I wonder if there is some uncovered association there somewhere that I haven't realized yet.

Five hours: It's gone kind of powdery now, mostly resin and a bit of honey.