Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead.

In the bottle: Whoa! I get pine and juniper like crazy from this. Something vaguely medicinal too...

Wet on skin: Hmmm, this smells exactly like a floor that has just been mopped with pine-sol. I'm not getting much earth here, just evergreens and that weird chemical sort of cleaning fluid scent.

drydown: Ok, now that it's dry, the woods and dirt in this are beginning to come out. It still smells like a pine-sol cleaned room though. Actually, it reminds me exactly of what the cabins used to smell like at the summer camp I went to as a kid. Wood interiors, open, screened windows, forest outside, vague pine sol scent inside. Not all bad, considering how it started for me, but still not something I want to smell like. Maybe if my skin chemistry were different... Edited by Shollin

I can't put this on. It's the opposite of what I want to smell like, it makes me feel sick. More power to those that can pull it off, but - ugh - I'm not even going to attempt it.

1 out of 5

Pine-sol spilled over dirt. Sorry, Burial, it just wasn't meant to be. I need the rose sweetness from your cousin Zombi to make the Lab's dirt note work on me.

In the bottle it's pine with a bit of menthol? maybe. On me the pine's still there and it has a bit of a sweet note too it. It's not something I'd have picked for myself but I like it, though it does seem a bit of a masculine scent to me.

Oh and after a while, it truly starts to smell like dirt. But in a good way.

Edited by Heeroluva

Imp: It smells like outside. Pine and earth.

Wet: It is darker on. Dense pine forest. Rich earth. Just a hint of decay.

Dry: It becomes more mellow as it dries but still...ancient growth pines. I'm amazed at how well behaved the patchouli is. There is such a sense of stillness to this blend.

I would have expected to pass this one on to my husband but I think I will keep it for myself. I think there will be perfect winter days for Burial.

In the imp, freshly turned earth and a hint of juniper and patchouli. This has potential.

Wet, the juniper takes over. But not unpleasantly. Very green and foresty. While I would normally have assumed that this wouldn't work for me, it is.

Dry, the juniper is still the predominant note, but the loam scent is back. This is amazing. I'm not entirely sure where I would wear this, but I'm definitely hanging on to the imp until I decide. That said, this smells good on me, rather than great...and I do think it might work better on a man. But both those things are quite beside the point, I'm, perhaps more than a little irrationally, drawn to this, and I need to work out why.

In the imp: Musky pine.

Wet: Dirt-covered trees.

Dry: Some floral, but not much. Mostly pine!

Overall: I thought this would be more like Zombi, but the dirt note in this didn't seem to go as well as it did with pine as it does with rose.

Wet: Dirty

Dry: Dirty pine with a hint of floral.

Overall: Wish it had more floral. Might let it age a bit and see if that helps.

Man, this one is so... dirty. But it's forest dirt. I get a very heavy pine and juniper from this. It's like standing in a muddy pine forest.

Not my kind of scent, but wow.

In Vial: Astringent, medicinal

Wet: Dried leaves and vicks vapor rub. Wow this is really medicinal.

Dry: This has changed significantly. Still smells like dried plants, herbs and weeds. Reminds me of a funeral bouquet has died and dried. Very true to name.

In Bottle: Turpentiney. I suspect it’s the pine+ juniper. A hint of decay underneath. Wet: Pine, juniper, loam. Very sharp and not entirely pleasant, but well suited to the concept. Dry: Patchouli. Fades very fast.

In the vial I get a sharp woody note that's kind of like facial astringent toner. Not necessarily a bad thing in my book, since it presents itself as a sterile sort of clean. Upon wet I'm still getting the astringent smell coupled with juniper and a faint, faint patchouli note. Not getting any florals since the sterile, clean sharpness of the blend is strong and overwhelming. I definitely didn't get a earthy smell. I think I'm a little neutral about this scent. I like it because it's clean, but it's not anything fancy.

Urp. :P PineSol & pee. Very, very bad on me... shame, too, because I wear patchouli well & dig the smell of juniper...

This one was a frimp with my first-ever order back around July. I'm so glad it was - it's one of my favorites so far, and it isn't one that would have particularly caught my eye on its own!

In the vial:

Intimidatingly, chemically juniper. It's a very good lesson in never judging how a perfume will turn out just based on what it's like in the bottle, actually.

Freshly applied:

I felt like the initial juniper was so aggressive that it bashed me in the face with a tree branch and then went through my pockets looking for my valuables, but it mellows out really fast and becomes utterly BEAUTIFUL! It becomes a much gentler piney scent over good dark earth. I get a faint mix of sweet-but-not-too-sweet flowers under that. It really does remind me of a funeral and a freshly-dug grave, but in a good way - it's a little sad, but at the same time very peaceful.

Drydown: My favorite part of Burial! A dark, soft, earthy floral, like the whole garden rather than just a vase of cut flowers, with only a trace of the juniper/pine notes left over. I think it must have rained a few hours ago. I get a bit of rose, but also more flowers that I can't identify. Some of it might be a little bit of lavender maybe? Whatever it is, it makes me want to go outside and roll around a garden in the fall.

Overall: Wonderful. Dark, a little bittersweet, very outdoorsy. Definitely feels like fall or early winter. I love it!

All of the notes sounded right (I love, love, love, BPAL's dirt)...but it was so very wrong. Smells nauseatingly like burning plastic on me. There's not enough soap in the world to wash this off.

Crap--the dirt's just not working for me here, thanks to the too-powdery florals. I love the concept but...dammit. Very nice when fresh, though.

Not much dirt on me. And I love BPAL's dirt scents! I get a very intense, astringent smell of dark shrubbery. Kind of medicinal. Not bad!

All I get from this is green. For a few seconds, I was surrounded by wet dirt, and I smelled as if I were walking through a coniferous forest, scuffing up damp earth as I went. But the dirt faded fast, and I was left with a very masculine pine-y scent. Quick fade. Trade bg.

In the Imp

Yuck! This is a bitter smell that I don’t even want to put on my skin. It’s dirt, rotting plants and urine.

On My Skin

I’m not sure when ‘floral’ turned into cat pee, but this isn’t getting any better. I’m giving it one hour before I wash it off.

After a Bit

The cat pee smell went away finally. Now I’m left with the scent of dirt and roses which isn’t much better with skin chemistry like mine. Too bad.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent - 1 Throw - 3.5 Longevity – ? washed off

Overall (not an average) – 1.3

Final thoughts

Roses ruin everything! Not for me, this imp goes off to swaps.

I didn't think I would like this one, and guess what?! I didn't! It smells like dirt and vetivert.

Not quite a scrubber, but one that I don't need to test twice to find out how I feel about it. In general, dirt scents don't appeal to me. Graveyard Dirt? Awful. So I guess this one is a bit better than Graveyard dirt.

So in total, no.

megank4

Initial impression:

Woah, juniper overload!

First on:

Juniper, juniper, juniper.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's a very dry patchouli scent, with a juniper background.

It seems warmer and earthier later on – sandalwood, I think.

Finally:

I didn't like it as much as I hoped... Swapping.

This smells more like cedar than pine to me, and I wore pine all day yesterday. I can catch some juniper, but no patchouli (which I'm grateful for). This is a very mild scent, at least on me. I have to get up close to smell much. I hope the dirt comes out soon. So far, this is nothing like Death Cap.

It's dry now, and wow did it get strong! Ugh, really strong. I may have to wash it off. I like HOW it smells, but the throw is just too much, and I barely put anything on!

ETA: Tried to get a bit off, and now I just think I (somehow) put too much on. It's lovely! I guess I'll need to apply with a toothpick next time.

Edited by Acid

In the vial: I get a very minty and green smell.

Wet: It is still minty and green, but now there's a soft, bittersweet floral that's emerging.

Drydown: The mint and lovely floral is gone, all I'm left with is a herbal incense.

Overall: This is a scent that is befitting its name, but sadly, it's not for me.

first sniff: Hm. Very sharp. I'm not too sure about this... It is very green though.

Wet on: Ew... The sharpness of this is a little overwhelming... As in VERY overwhelming... I don't think I'm going to be able to wear this...

drydown: I managed to let it dry, and boy was I surprised... It dried down to a murky but still fresh smell of forest. I think I'm actually keeping the imp, because this is such a nice rainy day scent (If I can get through the wet-stage, which was horrible)

Hm... I got frimped TWO of these in a single order :lol:

In the Imp: A lot like Hemlock-- straight up evergreen forests. No hint of florals or dirt.

Wet: yep.. minty. Not just evergreeny, but minty.

Dry: Hmmmm... no thanks. I finally get the florals, so the effect is flowery perfume, freshly brushed teeth and a Christmas tree.. I can actually taste it when I sniff it :ack: When it is truly truly dry it IS ok.. a pretty warm evergreen blend, and with the florals it's fairly femme.

Edited by MCS4096