Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Earth: deep, brooding forest scents, including juniper and patchouli. The scent of upturned cemetery loam mingling with floral offerings to the dead.

Wow. I wasn't expecting Burial to be so....bitter, piney, or resiny. Instead of recalling rich black dirt, my mind is taken to a very old, overgrown forest right after the last rays of sun have left for the day. My nose barely picks up the florals in this perfume. I can't decide yet if I want to hold on to my imp or to swap...

In bottle: Oh my, this is dark! The juniper is a sharp, piercing note joined by moss and lichen. I'm not getting any florals out of this.

On me: This is the rich soil in the deepest, darkest part of the forest, where the sun never shines and dead wood slowly rots.This is a very potent scent - a little goes a long way. Again the juniper is sharp but it is tempered a bit by the patchouli.

First Impression: Very deep, earthy a bit sharp.

Second Impression: It's a very decaying forest scent and you can really smell that fresh dirt and decaying flowers.

Final Analysis: This captures "Burial" so well. It's not a perfume for me, as such but it can really be appreciated for how it's crafted.

Acquired as a freebie with order ...

IN THE BOTTLE: Much cleaner and sharper than I would have imagined from the notes and the description but having an aversion to juniper I am still a bit leery of the final product on my skin) ...

Applied sparingly to wrists as a result ...

WET: Somehow managed to be clean and earthy at the same time, a neat trick. It's more neatly shoveled dirt rather than wild outdoorsy dirt though. Slightly anitseptic but not unpleasantly so.

DRYDOWN: The inevitable juniper soapiness comes up in a hurry, fortunately before I had to leave for work so I had time to wash it off, LOL ... there was something somehow plastic and manufactured about it that I can't put my finger on ...

hmmm i was a bit weary of this one after readong abt the "earthiness" of it. i opened the imp.....JUNIPER jumps right out at me...ok i like the woody smells so i will try it.

wet very juniper no earth no floral just juniper.

dry ahhhhh roses and pachouli i am learning that i adore pachouli i have had this on a few hrs and i think i am gonna wear it tomorrow and if i still must keep sniffing myself then i am getting a 5ml w/ my lunacy order

This is wonderful. I smell dirt, and flowers, rose? It is a wonderful rich loamy dirt smell, the way my garden smells in the spring when I am getting it ready for planting. The flowers remind me of roses, but there is a spicy, sweet smell too, maybe the juniper? I am still learning what the different notes are :P so I'm not sure.

It is going on my need a big bottle list...

i've never been much on earthy scents. this DOES smell like dirt, and i much prefer this deeper earth scent compared to the light scent of zombi, but burial and zombi are miraculous when layered.

i couldn't really distinguish between the individual notes. they all melded together to make one gritty, worm-infested scent. i love it for the connotations but i could never wear this.

In the Vial: The scent of damp ground, it smells like it might have pine or something in it.

Wet: Earth, freshly turned... maybe a tiny bit floral...

Dry: Earth, Patchouli, Juniper, and a tiny bit of Rose. It's very nice. It's masculine to me though, the masculine version of Zombi.

Conclusion: I don't usually go for Earthy scents, I go for candy scents or florals, but if you like Earthy scents, you'll like Burial. I'm gonna swap mine tho.

I wouldn't mind my own burial going this way: in the deep woods under tall trees, damp earth, a few flowers, and a spray of juniper and evergreens to mark the site.

Burial has some of the astringent smokiness of De Sade, making for an overall masculine air. It makes me think of rest and completion.

I got this one as a freebie from the Lab, and put off trying it, because who wants to smell like dirt and trees? Well...me, apparently. Hee. I love this scent. It's sharp and ..well, the word that comes to mind is poky - like sharp pine needles jabbing into your skin. It's not uncomfortable, but it's a little unsettling at first. And patchouli, there's lots of patchouli upfront.

It reminds me of the woods in Kentucky where I grew up, big pine trees and oak trees and all kinds of trees all around me, with fresh dirt underfoot and leafmold just off the paths with all kinds of things growing in it. I get a really strong sense of nostalgia with this scent, which I did not expect.

I also think it's a grounding scent, for whoever mentioned it earlier in the thread. As a Gemini, sometimes I really need a little help keeping my feet on the ground, and Burial is just the perfume to do it.

I love this scent. It begins very wet and earthy on me, and over the couse of several hours it transforms so that the earthiness fades to almost pure rose. Quite echanting.

at first: well, it smells how it sounds. it reminds me of being at a wake: fresh flowers in a small, dark room.

on: wow. i smll lots of juniper. very damp.

half an hour later: the patchouli is stronger, now. it's definitely dark and earthy. i really don't like this.

2 hours later: still a deep, dark, earthy smell.

overall: this just isn't something i would wear.

Absolutely delicious. I didn't wear this as a perfume, but squandered the whole imp in some showergel that I used both last night and this morning.

It's exactly what I look for in a bathtime fragrance - deeply woodsy and penetrating. The earthy notes simply grounded the scent rather than featuring prominently, and the rose just gave a pleasant sweetness rather than a distinct note as in, say, Zombi.

It was so beautiful to stand in the shower inhaling this after a long day yesterday - I felt soothed and grounded and reassured.

I'm kicking myself for using the whole imp up now & will put a 5ml in my next order.

The first thine that hits me is the strong set of juniper. It's sharp and strong, like falling face first into an evergreen wood. After a few moments, the evergreen scent pulls back just a bit and the loamy, earthy patchouli starts to come out. I don't pick out any florals. It's very much trees and earth. A strangely sinister scent!

On me the juniper really digs in, puts down roots. The scent is really grounding. That said, it's a lot more, um, lively than Zombi. It's a hiking smell, and it definately captures the smell of a forest stringly enough to make me a little nostalgic. The moist soil is prominent, but not dominating.

Origins - gift imp received in a swap

Wet - this smells strangely appealing. I took a sniff, and enjoyed the lingering scent so much, I had to try it on. It's definitely earthy.

Dry - loam and patchouli! I can't identify any other notes and I really don't get floral from this at all. But wow, this is not something I would have tried on my own, and I really like this. This is one of those scents where I just can't stop sniffing my wrists. It's a bit too heavy and earthy for the summer months, but I could see myself buying a big bottle of this down the road.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Very juniper at first: the pointedness and almost astringency (astringentness?) of Christmas boughs. Then the fresh scent of new wildflowers: slightly dirty, not real sweet, but fresh and clean comes through. Freshly-turned forest floor--coniferous, not deciduous. Then earthy patchouli emerges. As antimony says: "it's a hiking scent."

Burial

On me: Well, this one smells of dirt and pine. Mostly pine.

This is good if you like them, but honestly I don't ever want to smell like dirt, and pine always makes me think of Pine-Sol. However, it is truly reminiscent of the outdoors, and that is pretty cool. :P

Oooo!! This reminds me of The World+dirt :P This is the scent of a forest; not very dark--actually, it's like a lighter version of Tarot: Death to my nose :D Earthy and calming and slightly moist and just lovely :D

Bottle (Imp): Oooh, dark foreboding, and earthy.

Just On: Just like in the imp. I can't pick out any notes in this one.

An hour or two later: Mmmm, this is very earthy, dark graveyard crypt soil.

Around 6 hours: Faded, but still very much similar. I really like it as far as a dirt scent goes.

12 hours: Pretty much gone, the last vestiges of earthiness.

Overall: This is nice. This is probably what I thought Graveyard Dirt would smell like (not that GD isn't wonderful on it's own). Another astonishing blend.

After reading other reviews: I really didn't get the juniper, but I did get the dirt scent. And I liked it. Maybe not enough to hoard it, but I can see buying a big bottle of it at some point.

In the bottle

Dark earth and some greenery.

On

Ooh this is nicer than I though it would be. I thought it would be more like Dunwich. But it's more like Zombi. :P

30 minutes

It's lasts a long while, and it doesn't change much except maybe the juniper comes out more astringently but it's an even nicer balance with the dark earth smell.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

earthy/green

Summary

This is another great scent for the element of earth, this and Zombi seem to be my favorites of all the earth blends.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

This one's very foresty and piney. It's got the element of upturned sod, just like Graveyard Dirt, but's its really a subtle part of the blend on me. The floral offerings are barely there as well, but blend beautifully into the undertones. It's a complex, multi - leveled oil. Smells exactly like a burial in an evergreen forest. If you are in the loamy, dirt smells, or even piney ones, this was made for you.

This was sharp and bitter on my skin, and very strong. My husband said he had a lot of very negative associations with it and did not like it at all, so I don't think I'll ever be trying it again. :P

I wore this one to the movie, Skeleton Key, yesterday. Some guy came walking in with his family, as he passed my row ( I was sitting on the end), he said "something smells odd here" and moved his family further down the aisle!

Burial smells eucalyptusy with something more pungent going on, like furniture polish. A tiny overtone of pine. Definitely brings to mind mossy tombstones and darkly dripping water.......Not sure where this one is appropriate. Maybe on Samhain or when divining? Its not the sort of scent most folks are going to want to cuddle their noses into your neck for.

ADDED Aug. 21:

Dark juniper with something vaguely medicinal in it, must be how the patchouli translates. Smells similar to Pinesol. Ok if you don't mind smelling like a pine tree.