Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

Becky, I wonder if you are just amping other notes in those blends to the exclusion of the rose. Cinnamon can be such a strong note, for example, it might just be beating out the rose on you. (Of that list, Harlot is the only one which smells like "lots of rose" on me and the cinnamon is pretty strong too - I can barely smell rose in any of the others that you listed, so you are not alone. For example, Zombi is pure dirt on me, KoH was just baked goods and fruit, Eve = sharp apple blossom on my skin.)

From the general catalog, Black Rose or Moon Rose might be good places to start, since rose is the focus of those blends you may find that the other notes sing backup the way they're supposed to. Blood Rose might also work for you if dragon's blood is a note that works on your skin. Lucy's Kiss is rose with spices and London is a deep tea rose blend. Two, Five and Seven is rose-crazy and unless you happen to just amp green notes like a crazy-woman, you are bound to get some rose from it! Rose Cross is rose and frankincense and has a very serene and simple feel to it, I like it as a room scent (frankincense is iffy on me) but I hear a lot of good things about it from people who love frankincense too.

If you like to persue the swaps and sales forum, see if you can track down the recent Yule LEs Rose Red &/or The Peacock Queen. Both are very pure rose - although there are other elements that make them whole your nose will pick up very little except lush red roses. Some people love both, others are sworn to one or the other, which is why I suggest trying both if you're able (I'm a Rose Red fan, myself).

The roses that have worked for me

Rose Red (7 bottles worth)

Peacock Queen

Silentum Amoris

Rose Moon

London

None of the other roses have come up at all. 2,5,7 was a total wash. Parlement of Foules was particularly disappointing.

I think a big bottle of London is next. Its superbly Tea Rose.

Whip :P is by far my favorite rose scent. the black leather in it shouldn't scare you off 'cause it's so soft and faint it's not at all harsh. I find this one to be a softer rose than a lot of the other rose scents.

I also love Black Rose & Rose Cross.

And Zombi when I want something much stronger.

Becky, I wonder if you are just amping other notes in those blends to the exclusion of the rose. Cinnamon can be such a strong note, for example, it might just be beating out the rose on you.

I don't think I'm amping the other notes - at least not the cinnamon because when I put it on I get just faint cinnamon and there's no scent at all after 45 minutes (like I said it's the background with nothing in the foreground)

I'm pretty new at this so I'm trying to include a few rose scents with each imp order. I'm a bit tempted to do an entire order of roses but there are so many other lovely sounding things to try! I got a CnS for an order that includes Blood Rose and Persephone so I'll know about those two by the end of the week! I've added the other suggestions to my (long) list. Thanks!

~Becky

I am down to the last drops of my old favorite rose perfume Black rose by Emily Strange and sadly they don't make it anymore so I am looking for a replacement. I would like something dark and mysterious but still clear not powdery roses or anything stuffy. I would like to stay away from things that smell sweet or super girly and especially anything reminiscent of rose soap or cheap perfume. Please help I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices. :P So please help me find the best rose for me. Thanks in advance!

Well....I've found that what seems stuffy to one person is sex in a bottle to another.

And when you say dark and mysterious but still clear...and so on...I think, okay, this one is going to need to experiment. But it's fun, don't despair.

I noted in your introductory post that you like, besides roses, cinnamon, narcissus, and...one other..oh, smoke, that's right. And you hate patchouli and nagchampa, so probably you want to stay away from the incense-like blends for a moment (but sometime--do go ahead and try something you think you'd hate. It will probably end up to be your new favorite).

I like roses too, but I love sweet scents (and I see you do not).

Maybe Harlot, which has rose and cinnamon, will please you.

I tried to search the notes for your Black Rose perfume, but couldn't find them. Do you know? Does it have...other flowers? smokey notes?

I think narcissus is a very sweet smelling flower, btw (love it myself).

I haven't tried Two, Five and Seven, but the descriptions are rose and rose and more rose piled on top of one and then squished with a bit of green (well, go read the reviews; that's what I get out of them)

My favorite is the LE Rose Red, which is just pure, perfect, cold, beautiful roses filling the air. (it is nothing like cheap rose perfume or soap--I agree, nothing is worse than a rose scent done poorly). It may be too simple for your tastes. (and that would be good, because that will leave more on the planet for me).

Whip works really, really well on my daughter's skin (oh my, that sounds like...no, I don't meant that) :P Rose and leather. You might like it (it doesn't do the beautiful smokey morph it does on her when I try it. sigh.)

Good luck (and remember, try something you are sure you will hate. You'll be surprised!)

Becky, I wonder if you are just amping other notes in those blends to the exclusion of the rose. Cinnamon can be such a strong note, for example, it might just be beating out the rose on you.

I don't think I'm amping the other notes - at least not the cinnamon because when I put it on I get just faint cinnamon and there's no scent at all after 45 minutes (like I said it's the background with nothing in the foreground)

I'm pretty new at this so I'm trying to include a few rose scents with each imp order. I'm a bit tempted to do an entire order of roses but there are so many other lovely sounding things to try! I got a CnS for an order that includes Blood Rose and Persephone so I'll know about those two by the end of the week! I've added the other suggestions to my (long) list. Thanks!

~Becky

My Harlot experience was almost identical to this. I was like hey guys, where are the roses? In my case, almost all other BPAL rose blends work for me though. (Lucky me!)

Blood Rose is what I was going to recommend to you... it seems like the boldest, most undefeatable BPAL rose I've come across so far, so hopefully it'll last on you!

I am down to the last drops of my old favorite rose perfume Black rose by Emily Strange and sadly they don't make it anymore so I am looking for a replacement. I would like something dark and mysterious but still clear not powdery roses or anything stuffy. I would like to stay away from things that smell sweet or super girly and especially anything reminiscent of rose soap or cheap perfume. Please help I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices. :P So please help me find the best rose for me. Thanks in advance!

You might want to try an imp-pack (or two!) of rose scents. I have "rose issues," so you may wish to take my recommendations with a grain of salt, but based on your preferences you might like:

Harlot (Ara Amatoria): Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

Lucy's Kiss (Ars Amatoria): The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices

Spellbound (Ars Amatoria): Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Whip (Ars Amatoria): Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Pride (Sin and Salvation): Vanity in extremis. The scent of rabid hauteur: Moroccan rose and narcissus.

Zombi (Ars Moriendi): Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

Black Dahlia (Sin and Salvation): Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

Rose Cross (Sin and Salvation): This is a holy oil, a representation of the triumph of spirit over matter: purest rose with sacred frankincense.

Black Rose (Rappaccini's Garden): Exquisitely melancholy. The background scent to an ancient exequies. Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

Blood Rose (Rappaccini's Garden): Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon's blood resin.

Mata Hari (Bewitching Brews): five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

Two, Five, and Seven (Mad Tea Party) was delightful before it started amping insanely and reeking of ammonia (which is what rose scents often do on my skin), but it was very fresh and slightly sweet... not dark or sexy or smoky. But if you love rose scents, definitely give it a try.

A non-rose scent that sounds right up your alley would be:

Priala, the Human Phoenix (Carnaval Diabolique - unfortunately not available in imp-form from the Lab, but you might be able to find a decant on the swaps forum): Three deep, dark myrrhs, smoke, and cinnamon bark.

Good luck and be sure to report back with your findings!

My mom is looking for the perfect rose scent. I have a feeling she wouldn't like anything too stinky (anything with patchouli is a no-no). I know she loves white floral blends, so a true rose or a crisp pale rose might be best, but I'm open to suggestions, as long as it smells mostly like rose!

Thanks so much!

Roses are one of my favourite notes and there's a really good variety of them in the BPAL catalogue. Your mom may wind up going through a few imp packs before finding the perfect one. From the GC:

Two Five and Seven: A blend of many different roses with a touch of grass. It's really fresh and pretty, but definitely has more of a pink feel than a red feel.

Moon Rose: from Rappaccini's Garden. A very soft pink rose scent. It has moonflower and a dew bouquet.

Black Rose: Has rose with a musk (think it's red musk, but I'm unsure) amd amber. It's really sweet and womanly.

Blood Rose: I it find to be really lush. Blood Rose is a bit darker and wetter in scent than Black Rose. It has rose with wine and dragon's blood notes.

Harlot: The name may not be the greatest if your mother is conservative or if people will be asking her what she's wearing, but it's a slightly spiced rose. It really lets the rose shine through as the main note.

Rose Cross: More agreeable if anyone asks what she's wearing. Really beautiful, slightly incensey mixture of rose and frankincense.

Lucy's Kiss: Also soft and gentle, mixture of rose with some spice.

Marie: Sweet and clean violet-tea rose scent. Really womanly and pretty.

Edited by paperrose

For a pale rose, I particularly like Moon Rose. Pale, crisp, and just rose... nothing else lurking in there.

You might find more good suggestions in our big rose recommendation thread here: roses!

I, too, went in search of a perfect BPAL rose for my mom. She fell in lurve with Moon Rose. The only problem now, is that because she's aware of how other scents can be LE, she's afraid to use up all her oil. *sigh* (in a way, it's kinda cute).

I even got Rose Red and The Peacock Queen for her to try, but nope, she's remaining totally loyal to Moon Rose. (Which, btw, is fine by me - more scents for me :P )

One of the freshest roses I smelled was Blood Rose. I'm not sure where the blood went, but it just smelled like fresh cut rose to me. On the other hand, it smelled that way for about 30 minutes and then vanished.

For a pale rose, I particularly like Moon Rose. Pale, crisp, and just rose... nothing else lurking in there.

You might find more good suggestions in our big rose recommendation thread here: roses!

Oh no! there was already a rose recommendation page? I searched but nothing came up! argh! mods please don't be mad!

Harlot (Ara Amatoria): no rose at all for me

Lucy's Kiss (Ars Amatoria): no rose either but other nice florals

Whip (Ars Amatoria): went right to cat pee

Zombi (Ars Moriendi): mud and no rose

Rose Cross (Sin and Salvation): on the list to try

Black Rose (Rappaccini's Garden): on the list to try

Two, Five, and Seven (Mad Tea Party) nothing. literally nothing.

Moscow has some nice rose in it.

My mom is looking for the perfect rose scent. I have a feeling she wouldn't like anything too stinky (anything with patchouli is a no-no). I know she loves white floral blends, so a true rose or a crisp pale rose might be best, but I'm open to suggestions, as long as it smells mostly like rose!

Thanks so much!

I would recommend Moon Rose and/or London.

I second the London recommendations. I perceive it as a yellow rose scent. Sophisticated, charming, but a little aloof. Has the tea rose element. Pure rose, in my opinion.

Unfortunately I bet the LE Parlement of Foules would be perfect. I also like Two, Five and Seven for a green, dewy kind of rose.

Unfortunately I bet the LE Parlement of Foules would be perfect. I also like Two, Five and Seven for a green, dewy kind of rose.

ACK! That sounds PERFECT.

Ah, well. But of course it was LE. :P

ACK! That sounds PERFECT.

Ah, well. But of course it was LE. :P

You know it's actually not the hardest to find...I bet if you put up an ISO you'd find a bottle.

Do you think she would like Hope of Hope and Faith? It's very sweet but also VERY rose.

I love Persephone; it's so nice and juicy. Different too. I also really like Helena. It smells like the roses in my mother's garden.

I love Persephone; it's so nice and juicy. Different too. I also really like Helena. It smells like the roses in my mother's garden.

Thanks for pointing out Persephone! I didn't notice that one, but I love pomegranate AND rose so that's a must-try! I've also been eying up Helena... I need to get that one in my next order. Water lily and rose? OOOOOooooOOOO.

Okay guys, I've tried a few roses and my favorites so far have to be Moon Rose, Persephone and Hope. I just tried Rose Red 2007 and it's just too strong. I prefer the sweeter roses. Can anyone recommend some other roses?

Mmmm... I'm wearing Hope right now, and it is such a perfectly decadent, sweet, blooming rose. I always feel like I'm carrying a huge bouquet of impossibly sweet-smelling flowers when I wear it! :P Anyone looking for a sweet rose should snap it up while they still can!

It's actually the first rose perfume I've ever had, but definitely not the last. I hope other BPAL roses work on me as well. I can't WAIT to try Rose Red, I hope it comes out again this Yule!