Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

Blood Rose doesn't qualify as spicy or green, but it's gorgeous all the same and very much not a straightforward "ooh, smells like roses in here" oil.

I'm...thirding the 2/5/7 rec. I think Rose Red is greener, but you will never, never find it, so 2/5/7 is definitely the lightest, greenest rose.

2/5/7, Spellbound and Thantos sound interesting. I worry a little bit about Thantos because my skin loves roses and myrrh, and it might result in a duel to the death.

Blends such as Ouija scare me a little bit because dried roses really aren't my thing. I shall have to read more reviews.

Anyone have good rose-ridden experience with Persephone?

I'm...thirding the 2/5/7 rec. I think Rose Red is greener, but you will never, never find it, so 2/5/7 is definitely the lightest, greenest rose.

I'll definitely try 2/5/7 first, but I do have some rarities in my stash with enough trade value to at least nab me a decant of Red Rose. Hex and Buck Moon and Fee and such.

gypsy queen on me is dark rose with spicy incense. love in the asylum is similar. though gypsy queen is more incensey and l.i.t.a. is more rosy.

Edited by theseagrows

Just put on some Black Rose--it is a dark rose scent (duh) and quite nice.

(*returns to sniffing wrists*)

Mata Hari is definitely rose. The coffee note burns off almost immediately (at least on me) and you're left with an old-school rosey rose perfume. Very nice, if you like that sort of thing.

My three favorite BPAL rose blends are 2-5-7, Zombi, and Lucy's Kiss. I see a couple people have already suggested the first, so ...

Zombi for me is this lovely 'someone took handfuls and handfuls of freshly blooming rose petals and crushed them lovingly into the warm spring earth'. It's one of the more unique scents that I've smelled and one of my favorites, especially toward the end of winter when I'm yearning for spring to arrive. (And one that I probably wouldn't have sniffed if it hadn't come to me as a frimp!)

Lucy's Kiss for me is an amazing spiced-incensely-herbally rose. It makes me think of roses sitting in an old abandoned stone castle somewhere just after a group of witches were hanging out and burning exotic incenses there. :P

Good luck! :D

The rose in Persephone isn't one I can wear, but it was balanced beautifully with a nice tart fruity pomagranate. If your skin can do more roses than mine, Persephone will probably be lovely. My favorite rose-with-lots-of-stuff is Kali. So many different notes that do so many different things, and the rose just peeks out looking deceptively sweet.

I have to add Harlot; rose and cinnamon. It's very simple but really lovely.

And I have to add that I have yet to find my perfect rose blend too. I like Peacock Queen, Black Rose, Blood Rose, Parlement of Foules, etc....but none of them are perfect. Luckily the fun is in the hunt! :P

Alice is a creamy rose, but the carnation gives it a hint of spice, too.

Euphrosyne reads as a really green rose to me, but it is sweet, too.

Finally, Moon Rose is really lovely, and I know someone mentioned it upthread.

Alice is a creamy rose, but the carnation gives it a hint of spice, too.

Euphrosyne reads as a really green rose to me, but it is sweet, too.

Finally, Moon Rose is really lovely, and I know someone mentioned it upthread.

I forget that Alice has rose in it....maybe because it blends so well on me. I second Alice, it's gorgeous and very subtle.

I second Whip too. The rose in it is very pink and fresh which gives an interesting contrast to the leather! :P

Edited: because someone else DID mention Whip already and I'm a dork! :D

Edited by Jessie

I have to add Harlot; rose and cinnamon. It's very simple but really lovely.

I'm definitely seconding Harlot -- absolutely gorgeous spicy roses. It's one of my favorites.

Personally, I didn't think Spellbound smelled like roses at all. The scent gave me a huge headache.

Persephone and Moonrose are both REALLY beautiful rose scents. Persephone has a pleasant sweetness to it and Moon Rose has a sort of crisp, clean feel to it.

Harlot- yes this one is really nice. I don't usually like cinnamon but it balances nicely with the rose.

Moon Rose- this one is very etheral and misty, like moonlight.

Zombi- I'm wearing this today. I love it! I find the earthy notes really comforting and grounding. But if you don't like earth/dirt smells you should probably skip this one.

Oddly enough, as much as I love rose, 2/5/7 didn't do it for me.

Oh and Psyche is really nice to. That's another soft etheral one.

Nthing the recommendation for Spellbound. It's a very sultry, amber-y, musky rose scent. :D

A word of caution about Harlot - it has cinnamon in it and I found that it irritated my skin. :P Though it's still really nice in the oil-burner.

Euphrosyne, on me, is very dominantly gardenia and jasmine with not so much rose, but YMMV.

A lovely rose blend that no-one has mentioned so far is Moscow: "imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine." I love Moscow to death - on me it's a beautiful rose/carnation.

Rose Cross and Black Rose are roses with a base of frankincense and amber + musk, respectively. Persephone is a juicy rose/pomegranate.

My favorite LE rose blend is The Peacock Queen. It's a very pure, sultry, rich rose.

Edited by Chrysantza

rose + spice = Othello

It's my favorite so far of the rose blends. I've tried Harlot, and the notes are very true, but they didn't seem to marry very well on me, whereas Othello is a great blending of elements.

I just got an imp set of rose blends. My favorites (besides Parlement of Foules) were 2,5 and 7, which is really rosy and green, and Moon Rose, which I found to be ethereal and beautiful. I also love Spellbound.

Rose Cross was too incense-y for me, Harlot burned me also (fair-skinned ladies beware).

I'll add my votes for Two Five & Seven, which I think is just the freshest, greenest, moistest (is that even a word?) rose ever -- and for Kurukulla and Parlement of Foules, if you can find some. If like violet as well as rose, try Marie.

What's the least feminine rose scent?

Maybe Othello and Rome? I'm not sure off the topof my head if these are the absolute least feminine, but they aren't feminine.