Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

Ever since I started buying BPAL, I've been on the lookout for that 'perfect' rose scent. Something sweet, nothing dark or too green. I've tried Maiden, Persephone and Kurukulla, and they all end up morphing into the same weird fruity-rose scent. Bleh. Then I tried Pink Snowballs, and it was PERFECT. For for like 30 seconds, until it turned to play-doh. Stupid skin chemistry.

I'm thinking of hunting down a decant of Hope and Victoria, but if anyone has any suggestions of a scent ... that would be great. Thanks! :wub2:

Ever since I started buying BPAL, I've been on the lookout for that 'perfect' rose scent. Something sweet, nothing dark or too green. I've tried Maiden, Persephone and Kurukulla, and they all end up morphing into the same weird fruity-rose scent. Bleh. Then I tried Pink Snowballs, and it was PERFECT. For for like 30 seconds, until it turned to play-doh. Stupid skin chemistry.

I'm thinking of hunting down a decant of Hope and Victoria, but if anyone has any suggestions of a scent ... that would be great. Thanks! :wub2:

Mmm whip was mentioned a few posts ago, and that is perfect. Great balance of rose and leather.

I like wanda a little better, but there are more elements in there that make it less of a rose scent and more of a floral perfume with musk.

Rose Red is my older sisters absolute favorite, smelled horrible on me, but amazingly rose on her. That could be worth a shot, because most ppl think the rose from there smells like the rose from pink snow balls (smells more like the rose, with a snow element to me tho). Shiloh describes it as 'rose candy'. If you can find it, I'd suggest this as it sounds most like you are looking for.

Black Rose is pretty, as is spellbound. But spellbound is more red musky, where was black rose seems more... spicy? I don't know if you would consider that too dark though.

Ooo... and one of my favs (i keep meaning to get a bottle of) that is very rosey is Rahkasha. Patch and rose... earthy womaness. The rose in that is quite lovely, its more exotic earthy than sweet though.

I thought I couldn't wear any rose at all, it always turned either too green or too old-lady on me. I'd say give Hope a try, it's one of the few blends I've discovered I can wear. It stays very close to the sugared-rose scent description, and seems closer to a really lovely dried-rose potpourri than a greenish or dark rose. Another one I think is fantastic is Pumpkin II '09, and also Pumpkin V '08. The pumpkin doesn't smell too foody, and it rounds out the rose in a way that's just fantastic.

Thank you both for the recs :D

I've been meaning to give Whip a try, but it always seemed too .. leathery lol. It wouldn't kill me to try an imp of it though. And I'm going to most likely buy Hope and Faith, it's too hard to hunt down decants of them. Victoria I'm still hesitant about; lilies have an unsettling habit of turning to soap on me.

I also might buy Pink Snowballs and try to let it age, maybe the play-doh will disappear on me!

I "hope" you can find some Hope to try :lol: it's wonderful, a sugary-sweet rose. Katrina Van Tassel is similar, if you can find any of it, it was a Halloweenie from 2008.

Nowadays i'm very interested in rose scents. :wub: I think the various colors of rose... I wonder what is the difference between white rose, pink rose, red rose, black rose scents? :unsure:

Are there also pure essential oils that i can find for white and red rose notes? :beg: ( i know that single note oils are discontinued, can be suggestions from other brands)

Nowadays i'm very interested in rose scents. :wub: I think the various colors of rose... I wonder what is the difference between white rose, pink rose, red rose, black rose scents? :unsure:

Are there also pure essential oils that i can find for white and red rose notes? :beg: ( i know that single note oils are discontinued, can be suggestions from other brands)

I do not believe single variety rose essential oils exist because of the great quantity of roses needed to make even a little of the essential oil (it's extremely expensive). I believe Damascus Rose is the standard for most EOs. The scent of roses varies wildly, but has very little to do with color. (The smell or a red tea rose will vary wildly from the scent of a red modern hybrid from a red old English, and even then, different breeds of red old English roses will have different scents completely independent one from the other.)

My belief is that when BPAL lists a rose by color, that they have created a bouquet by blending other oils together to give the impression and feeling that they associate with rose and the color they are picturing in their mind.

Like, you might think that black roses would be extremely potent, with dark musky notes, and would want to use component oils to lend to that idea [even though "black" roses (only extremely dark red or purple, real black doesn't exist) tend to be modern hybrids and therefore, have been bred for looks over smell and frequently have barely any scent at all], meanwhile, you would think that a white rose might be extremely light and ghostly and try and capture more of a fleeting and light feel to the scent, while some old English white roses are potent enough to cast their fragrance for dozens of yards.

Spellbound, to me, is quite a dark (perhaps gothic?) blend of red musk and rose. It is sweet, and strong, so a dab will do'yah.

I've been meaning to give Whip a try, but it always seemed too .. leathery lol. It wouldn't kill me to try an imp of it though. And I'm going to most likely buy Hope and Faith, it's too hard to hunt down decants of them. Victoria I'm still hesitant about; lilies have an unsettling habit of turning to soap on me.

I also might buy Pink Snowballs and try to let it age, maybe the play-doh will disappear on me!

I didn't find Victoria all that soapy, and my skin likes to turn things to soap, especially lilies.

Have you tried Peacock Queen (while it's still up)? It's clean and straightforward, yet dark and not-cloying, and I'm marinating in it today.

mmm. :wub2:

Edited by LadyMedb

I didn't find Victoria all that soapy, and my skin likes to turn things to soap, especially lilies.

Have you tried Peacock Queen (while it's still up)? It's clean and straightforward, yet dark and not-cloying, and I'm marinating in it today.

Hmm, I never thought of trying Peacock Queen. I'll have to give it a shot.

I really want to try Victoria, but I'm sure it has more to do with reading Stardust way too many times. Hopefully it'll stay soap-free. :wub2:

Hmm, I never thought of trying Peacock Queen. I'll have to give it a shot.

I really want to try Victoria, but I'm sure it has more to do with reading Stardust way too many times. Hopefully it'll stay soap-free. :wub2:

I really quite liked Victoria (the scent, not the Stardust character)!! To me it's similar to Whip, but without the leather - a lovely clean soft rose, no powder or soap or old lady.

Another really lovely one is The Last Rose of Summer, but only if you like a little incense with your rose (I do - I have about 5 gazillion BPAL variations on this theme).

Edited by LadyMedb

I'm really surprised through all this that no one has recommended Libra 2007? To me it's a deep rose that's tempered by sweetness and spice without being musky. Rose, black cherry, carnation, fig, honey, plum, and black currant.

I wanted to roll around in this stuff right after my first sniff, on the dry down the sweetness faded a bit leaving mostly a rather beautiful rose that wasn't cloying at all.

It's funny - Libra was nearly all cherry on me...very disappointing as it's my sun sign!

Edited by LadyMedb

Can anyone tell the difference between The Rose and The Snooty Rose ?

The Rose is a very pure rose scent, similar to Rose Red. I picked up a lot of sandalwood and bergamot in Snooty Rose, as it's not just straight rose.

Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation with rose as a note- I seem to recall a Lupercalia blend with similar notes, but for the life of me can't track it down. Basically I am coveting a BPAL blend similar to Turkish Delight, as described on the back of my bag: dates, honey, rose, jasmine and sugar (or some sweetness). Any recommendations?

Hello!

I am looking for a recommendation with rose as a note- I seem to recall a Lupercalia blend with similar notes, but for the life of me can't track it down. Basically I am coveting a BPAL blend similar to Turkish Delight, as described on the back of my bag: dates, honey, rose, jasmine and sugar (or some sweetness). Any recommendations?

Mata Hari, maybe (five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean)? The fig does smell more like fresh fig than dried fruit, but that seemed closest to the description. Or, if you like pumpkin and foody scents, I'd rec Pumpkin II 09 or Pumpkin V 08. Both have rose and it blends beautifully with the foody pumpkin. And Hope is nice - sugared rose, it smells like a kind of rose candy on me.

Oo, perfect! For some reason I have NEVER tried Mata Hari, even though it has many notes I love. I've been contemplating trying it since 05 but was always scared of the jasmine, but I think it's time to break that cycle!

Seance is the only rose I've really loved. It's perfect, not powdery or cloying and not ZOMG FLORAL IN YOUR FACE. Plus the name f'in rocks.

Amen, sister.

Seance is like my holy grail, for real. I could not believe how completely in love with it I feel. The instant I opened the bottle -- sold. Totally sold. Seance is the warm heart of a deep red rose to me.

Hello!

Was it Abhisarika or Her Voice?

Other suggestions which could work might be Delight, Les Bijoux, Othello or Vasilissa.

*edit* HA! Found it! It's The Presence of Love: White musk, rose-swirled amber, pink grapefruit, and jasmine.

Edited by rawgirl75

I just recently fell in love with Pacifica's Persian Rose, but alas it has been discontinued. So, in my next order I am planning on getting a rose centered imp pack in search of something equally wonderful. To me, Pacifica's rose is very fresh and slightly lemony. I don't know if you've ever smelled a rose that made you think of lemonade, but I have and it's the best rose smell, IMO. Even though I bought it in the form of a bar of soap, it doesn't smell soapy at all, just 100% fresh and real.

I've tried, and have samples of Rose Moon, Black Rose, Rose Cross, Peacock Queen, Pink Snowballs, Hope, Rose Red, Maiden, The Rose, and several others that I am sure I am forgetting. So far I am considering samples of:

London - tried before and loved it, but can't find my imp

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds - doesn't sound anything like Persian Rose, but I want it anyway

The Snooty Rose - for good measure

Seance - already suggested from above

Two, Five, and Seven - apparently a lot of types of rose all together

EDIT: I found a sample of Two, Five, and Seven, bingo! This is almost identical to Persian Rose. Bottle x2!

Any suggestions? Candidates needn't contain lemon, but ideally not have a dirt or stem note.

Edited by Tempest

You might want to try Viola from Illyria (gentle tea rose, lilac, Calla Lily, and Somalian Rose layered over golden Peruvian amber, Spanish moss, red sandalwood, rosewood, and myrrh, with the lightest touch of Mandarin)

There's a lot of notes but I found it to be sweet & pretty with kind of an innocent feeling (& decided it didn't suit me, lol).

Pink Snowballs reminded me a bit of Katrina von Tassel so that might be another one to consider if you can do the cream note.

FWIW, Seance was very woody on me (so much that I don't tend to think of it as a rose blend) as was Snooty Rose but I tend to amp the woods (though not in Viola, strangely). The Rose was like a lighter version of Rose Red. I was unlucky with Victoria turning soapy, too. Two, Five & Seven was wretched on me (sharp rose in a pet food store :lol: )

My favorite for pure tea rose is London with Peacock Queen as second choice being slightly less sweet (if I remember correctly - I traded it away a bit prematurely).

Edited by alterosen