Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Rose Recommendations - which blend is for me?

I'm looking for a signature red rose scent which has the gothic feeling :violin:

...waiting for your recommendations :angel:

I'm not sure what you mean by a "gothic" feeling, but these might fit your style:

Wanton - sweet juicy rose with patchouli and sandalwood.

Rakshasa - rose, sandalwood and patchouli. Lots of sandalwood makes this a dry woody incensy rose.

Blood Rose - like sweet concord grape wine and roses. Juicy sticky rose.

and Whip, which I've never tried because I don't like the leather note, but it's supposed to be a very red rose with a hint of leather.

edited to say:

Rakshasa is probably less rose than you're looking for. I just tried it again after writing the above post, and I realize that Rakshasa is much more incensy than rose, and even smells a bit "soapy". I think I smell some some orange when I first apply it. Anyway, the rose is definitely second fiddle in this scent, but it is pretty.

I also thought of Zombi. I don't know if it's the red rose you're looking for, but it's a rosy blend with a damp earthy mossy quality. It's very understated and very pretty. Every time I get a hint of the rose, it's quickly replaced by the damp earthy mossy smell. Very melancholy.

Edited by Soledad

Yet another rec for London here. To me this is a very crisp, juicy pure rose scent. Like a fresh cut bunch of roses w/ stems and foliage intact.

I mean by a "gothic" feeling, the scent of womanly deep red roses....I have some scents in my mind, but I could not decide...I've tried Zombi, but it was not so good on me. I do not want something very sweet also.. I wish I can try Rose Red, but it is not on sale :sad:

Whip

Peacock Queen

The Rose

Snooty Rose

Blood Rose

I mean by a "gothic" feeling, the scent of womanly deep red roses....I have some scents in my mind, but I could not decide...I've tried Zombi, but it was not so good on me. I do not want something very sweet also.. I wish I can try Rose Red, but it is not on sale :sad:

Whip

Peacock Queen

The Rose

Snooty Rose

Blood Rose

You should probably try Whip and Peacock Queen (while you still can!). Those will probably be the truest red roses. I haven't tried either of them yet because I've never liked the smell of leather in perfume and single note roses just don't work with my skin.

The Rose has a lot of greenness to it, and it went quite sharp on me. Snooty Rose smelled more like rose-scented soap to me, but nice. And Blood Rose is blended with a lot of sweet juicy grape wine.

Hi,

I'm new to BPAL. The scent of red roses is my favorite. In commercial rose perfumes I couldn't find a real red rose scent. Red roses remind me of seduction :twisted: I would be very pleased if I can find a signature red rose scent :wub:

Should I look for the word "red rose" while doing seach or some other ingredients give the red rose vibe also?

Waiting for your recommendations :angel:

Edited by ivyandpeony
image sizing

Rose Red was a LE, but you should be able to find some on the forum sales pages... it's a beautiful red rose scent. I also love Peacock Queen. There was a LE from the Trading Post called Red Rose, but it isn't a straight-up rose scent.

Spellbound is a sexy blend of 3 roses, amber and red musk. Definitely my # 1 BPAL...

Edited by Molls

Is there any red rose scents that I could find in the general catalog ? Becuse I want it to be my signature perfume, so I can purchase frequently :yum:

Is there any red rose scents that I could find in the general catalog ? Becuse I want it to be my signature perfume, so I can purchase frequently :yum:

I'd recommend trying The Rose from the Marchen category if you want a fresh, red rose smell. London is also good (from the Wanderlust category), but strikes me as more of a dry red rose.

Have you tried these?

Blood Rose
(Rappaccini's Garden) - Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon's blood resin.

The Rose
( Marchen) - The promise of a rose: red rose petals, fresh sap, and the sharp green scent of stem and leaf.

Snooty Rose
- (Mad Tea Party) - Red rose, oud, plum, bergamot, and red sandalwood.

Spellbound
- (Ars Amatoria) - Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Two, Five & Seven
(Mad Tea Party) - A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose…

…and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

Whip
(Ars Amatoria) - Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

They're all GC scents; you could buy an imp pack to try them out.

I'd recommend trying The Rose from the Marchen category if you want a fresh, red rose smell. London is also good (from the Wanderlust category), but strikes me as more of a dry red rose.

How could I forget The Rose?? yes, definitely second that suggestion... :D

I have a question about Peacock Queen and Pink Snowballs. I like to think that I like rose scented perfumes because I absolutely love the smell of real roses. So in my first order I ordered Marie and 2,5,& 7. Neither of those worked for me, I instantly got a headache from both, and they weren't what I was hoping for. I then tried Clarimonde, which I absolutely love, I'm pretty sure that I can smell the white rose note in it. ETA: So I don't think that my head completely rejects rose scents (I'm hoping not).

So my question is, how do Peacock Queen and Pink Snowballs compare to 2,5,& 7?

Edited by RoseLee

Peacock Queen may be a bit heavy if I'm understanding you correctly. It's very lush and deep and more like what I think a commercial rose smell would be like.

Pink Snowballs is OK, but a bit of a disappointment as it's not a balanced Rose Red + Snow White, it's more like 75% Snow White and 25% Rose Red. So, if the main note you want is rose, it's going to fall short.

However, my FAVORITE rose BPAL, because I've never liked rose scents or rose perfumes, but I ADORE my Mothers rose garden with antique English roses and their smell, I like "The Rose" under Marchen. It smells the most realistic out of all the rose BPAL's I've tried. You really get the smell of a real, fresh, antique rose bush - yes, the whole bush. To me, it's the end all be all for the most true-to-life rose smell.

oh, and for those considering Rose Red from the LE line, the difference between Rose Red and The Rose is *very* negligible. I believe Rose Red has *slightly* less "bush" and more "flower", but you'd really have to have them side by side to hash it out.

Edited by izile

Peacock Queen may be a bit heavy if I'm understanding you correctly. It's very lush and deep and more like what I think a commercial rose smell would be like.

Pink Snowballs is OK, but a bit of a disappointment as it's not a balanced Rose Red + Snow White, it's more like 75% Snow White and 25% Rose Red. So, if the main note you want is rose, it's going to fall short.

However, my FAVORITE rose BPAL, because I've never liked rose scents or rose perfumes, but I ADORE my Mothers rose garden with antique English roses and their smell, I like "The Rose" under Marchen. It smells the most realistic out of all the rose BPAL's I've tried. You really get the smell of a real, fresh, antique rose bush - yes, the whole bush. To me, it's the end all be all for the most true-to-life rose smell.

oh, and for those considering Rose Red from the LE line, the difference between Rose Red and The Rose is *very* negligible. I believe Rose Red has *slightly* less "bush" and more "flower", but you'd really have to have them side by side to hash it out.

Thank you, I'll have to try The Rose. To me, 2,5, & 7 smelled kind of powdery and overpowering, and I think that roses in real life have a more sweet smell to them.

I tend to get headaches really really easy so I look for fragrances that are not too strong. Clarimonde borders on being too strong, the first time I tried it I put too much on and got a headache but loved the scent. Now I just tap the lid on my wrist and it's enough to last all day. I'm thinking of attempting to dilute Marie with something to see if it won't be too strong for me to wear.

I'm thinking of attempting to dilute Marie with something to see if it won't be too strong for me to wear.

I found Marie very "perfume-y" and over powering, but I liked it, so I just diluted mine into 3 oz of unscented shampoo. Was quite lovely then.

It might be the tea rose note you're objecting to in Marie & 2,5,7 . . I utterly adore roses and seek them out wherever I can find them, but I find I don't always love BPAL's tea rose note. It's almost too candy-sweet and bright, and doesn't have that wonderful complexity that fresh roses do. I find the "red rose" and "white rose" notes seem to work better on my skin (although London is the tea rose exception for me-- whatever else is in that makes it lovely).

Peacock Queen is definitely lush and full of roses-- I think of it as a "darker" rose scent (if you think of those roses that are so red they're almost black-- that's what Peacock Queen smells like to me). It's fuller than Rose Red, IMO.

Pink Snowballs is soft and pretty, but the rose doesn't dominate much at all.

And like most everybody else, I've never come across a rose scent as beautiful as Rose Red / The Rose. That smells exactly like a full-bodied red rose to me, thorns wet with dew.

It might be the tea rose note you're objecting to in Marie & 2,5,7 . . I utterly adore roses and seek them out wherever I can find them, but I find I don't always love BPAL's tea rose note. It's almost too candy-sweet and bright, and doesn't have that wonderful complexity that fresh roses do. I find the "red rose" and "white rose" notes seem to work better on my skin (although London is the tea rose exception for me-- whatever else is in that makes it lovely).

Peacock Queen is definitely lush and full of roses-- I think of it as a "darker" rose scent (if you think of those roses that are so red they're almost black-- that's what Peacock Queen smells like to me). It's fuller than Rose Red, IMO.

And like most everybody else, I've never come across a rose scent as beautiful as Rose Red / The Rose. That smells exactly like a full-bodied red rose to me, thorns wet with dew.

Thank you. It looks like I'm going to start out with an imp of The Rose the next time I do an imp pack. It sounds like it is highly recommended and possibly what I'm looking for.

Thank you. It looks like I'm going to start out with an imp of The Rose the next time I do an imp pack. It sounds like it is highly recommended and possibly what I'm looking for.

Might depend on your skin chemistry, but I am also a rose lover and reccommend trying out some of the rose + ______ scents. Venice is a lovely, complex scent with rose dominant- but the other notes deepen it so it really does smell Renaissance-y. You could try Whip, as well- my skin kind of eats the leather note but it does make it a little musky. My favorite one from the GC though is Zombi- which I would never have ordered but tried on at the Whole Foods in Raleigh and loved so much I bought a bottle right there. The dirt note on me makes it a very sexy, earthy, blooming rose smell, and on someone else I know, who does not really like rose and doesn't amp it as I do, it smells like a whole rose garden.

Peacock Queen was my favorite for a long time- it's a heady, haughty, blooming hot house red rose, sophisticated and feminine but a bit unapproachable, somehow. Rose Red is my new fave, as she's a bit less strong and has better lasting power on me. You might also try Hope (or is it Faith? It's one of them.) for the sugar note, though it can be a little hard to get without gambling on the whole set. Another good one if you can dig it up is Silentium Amoris- the ylang ylang sweetens the rose and gives a nice melancholy quality.

I'm looking for a scent which has the same red rose type of Whip , but without leather. I do not like the leather note. However the rose in Whip is to die for :bow:

Maybe you could try Victoria...

Also, if you could get your hands on Rose Moon from 2007, that might work.

I'm looking for a scent which has the same red rose type of Whip , but without leather. I do not like the leather note. However the rose in Whip is to die for :bow:

I think The Rose will actually be the closest to Whip that you will find. Peacock Queen was much sweeter and less sharp. More like straight rose oil, it was lacking the fresh element of Whip.

Victoria is tea rose so I don't think it will smell anything like Whip plus the vanilla musk will make it too innocent.

I think The Rose will actually be the closest to Whip that you will find. Peacock Queen was much sweeter and less sharp. More like straight rose oil, it was lacking the fresh element of Whip.

Victoria is tea rose so I don't think it will smell anything like Whip plus the vanilla musk will make it too innocent.

I hadn't been able to pinpoint it myself, but I did want to say I think The Rose is too green. The rose in Whip is all petals, no stem, sap, green or leaf. I do agree that Peacock Queen was too much in the other direction, though. 2-5-7 might be a good middle ground.

Yes, sexy swapper you are right. I have tried an imp of The Rose, it was too green. I could not smell the rose. Also 2-5-7 has the grass note that I don't like. What about the Rose Cross and Harlot? They could have the red rose smelling?

Yes, sexy swapper you are right. I have tried an imp of The Rose, it was too green. I could not smell the rose. Also 2-5-7 has the grass note that I don't like. What about the Rose Cross and Harlot? They could have the red rose smelling?

Depending on how the fruit note wears on you, Persephone has a red rose smell.