Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lightgatherer

Pinched With Four Aces

Pinched With Four Aces, C.M. Coolidge.
Colorado Maduro tobacco wrappers, cinnamon bark, coffee bean husk, and dry woods.

In the town I grew up in, there was once a tea shop called "The Brown Bag". In addition to tea, they sold coffee, loose spices, honey sticks, and scones that were baked on the premises. In the vial, Pinched With Four Aces smells like that shop.

On my skin, it begins as close scent-wise to huffing a bag of coffee beans as one can get. As huffing coffee beans is one of my favorite past-times, I rejoice! :P

Over time, it becomes more and more creamy - it smells like whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg. I do wish the coffee scent lasted longer, but it must be said that I have just a small testable amount of this, so I used it quite sparingly.

I thought Miskatonic University was my dream coffee scent, and I still love the heck out of it, but this, were it more readily available, would be quite the rival. I find the dry stage of this scent (the aforementioned spicy whipped cream) to be much prettier than that of Miskatonic University's (musty paper), and the coffee stage is darker and less powerfully sweet. Edited by suileach

Surprisingly warm and comforting. This would be terrific on a cold winter day while wearing an oversized men's sweater. I only have tried it from a sniffy, but enjoyed what I tried. It reminded me of red hot cinnamon hearts a bit, but not in a cloying way. The tobacco wrapper note reminded me of my grandfather. The cinnamon bark is very prominent and the woods linger in the background. Overall, very nice. Not something I would wear every day but would be nice to have in the collection.

This is the only cinnamon note that works on me! I'm so happy I was able to get a bottle of this!! :P

It's warm, and I can definitely smell the coffee, cinnamon, and tobacco.

I am not a fan of coffee OR tobacco smells, HOWEVER, this oil is simply stunning.

This is the smell of just laundered linens, fresh and clean in the morning sun, defiled by a spilled cinnamon/vanilla flavored coffee and a cloud of Morrocan tobacco smoke wafting across the breeze.

This is love in a bottle...

Edited by mystery213

My first imp of this came from the wonderful Tempest Teapot - although I'd heard all of the rave reviews, I was afraid, knowing how hard it is to find and how many people love it.

In the imp, there's coffee, cinnamon, and something almost caramel-y.

On my skin - OH MY GOD I'm screwed - sweet tobacco with cinnamon, just a hint of coffee.

When it dries - MMMMMMM, tobacco, coffee, cinnamon deliciousness - I don't get woods, but I'm so happy I don't care.

I'm totally screwed.

In the bottle: Sweet coffee with a teeny hint of spice.

Dry on skin: Cinnamon, with deep dark tobacco and coffee notes.

Glad I was able to get a bottle directly from the lab during one of the eBay auctions. :P

The first time I wore it, I didn't like it. At all. Gave it another chance today and it's scrumptious. Whew.

In Bottle: Carmelized sugar and a hint of something fresh

Wet: Mmm. Brown sugar with coffee. Not too strong though. As it dries it gets deeper, richer, less sweet.

Later: This is not an overly coffee scent for those who don't like coffee. It is also not overly masculine like I thought it would be. It is not something I personally would wear because I like more feminine scents. With everything that it is not, it IS like no blend/perfume, here or elsewhere, that I have ever smelled before and I Love It! This is *almost* foody. I don't like foody, but I like this. It is sweeter than I expected but it is a brown sugar/carmel type sweetness. It remains sweet and yummy throughout with only a hint of coffee. I never smelled the cinnamon, but I don't think it matters, this blend is wonderful!!

Oh wow, I see what all the fuss is about now! This is divine. It starts sweet and warm , slightly caramel like, the cinamon is really subdued. Normally I'm not a big cinnamon fan, but this just adds a little interest, kind of like adding a pinch of salt to sweet foods, it adds just the teensiest touch of warth. The tobacco is really restrained, and I'm not picking up tonnes of the coffee. But it is warm, full bodied, smooooooooooth and suprisingly light. Couldn't even guess at what the woods might be, but it is beautifully grounded. This ends up smelling like a scrummy cup of Vienna coffee.

ETA: The more I smell this, the more I begin to think it has cognac in it, which may account for the smooth, intoxicating sense I get from it. I am putting all of my thoughts and wishes into this being a 2009 ressurected, because it is criminal that this is not enjoyed by everyone. :P

Edited by lilacea

in the vial: like Black Lace, this is what i would want a kindly great uncle to smell like: pipe tobacco, caramel, coffee.

wet on skin: wow. this is just beautiful. it's blended so well, there's just no way to pick out separate notes. it's warm, gender neutral, sweet but not cloying or foodie. this is love, for sure. :P

dry down: it just gets more and more refined. decent throw, perfect scent for day, evening or special occasion.

in all: yes, i will join the masses in hopes of getting some more of this!!!

:D :D :)

Haha. I can totally see what the fuss is about. This scent is fabulous! At the beginning, it was almost impossibly sweet. The caramel and the tobacco are some of the more predominant notes. On wet, the tobacco really came to the fore for the first half hour.

After that, it calmed down, and now its a sweet caramel with a hint of tobacco and cinnamon. Not too sweet.

I'm not usually attracted to this kind of scent at all ---- but let me tell you, I'm totally on the fence about whether to keep it or not. That's the kind of allure Pinched has for me.

I had to see what all the fuss was about! Pinched is yummy. I see why it's so sought-after. I don't get much coffee from it (yay)--instead it's sweet cinnamon and tobacco!. It's warm and cozy; this would be a perfect chilly winter day scent. The more it dries the more candy-like it's getting, too. Mmm.

I don't think I'd ever *wear* this, especially not at Ebay prices, but getting to try it was a treat.

I got a testable sniffie from a kind forumite (thank you Theresa!), and the enabling is as cruel as it is generously thoughtful : -D

Because, of course, it's an awesome scent.

I get the tobacco wrapper scent, and it's a heavy vanilla-laced aroma. After the initial spicy drydown, I'm not getting too much in the way of cinnamon and coffee, but I can definitely pick out tonka bean.

It's a comforting perfume, smooth and sweet, creamy and lazy and warm.

I would wear this all winter long if I had the means to afford the ridiculous hysterical astronomical ebay bids. *sigh* Maybe Someday!!

:P

5 out of 5

First on, Pinched reminded me very strongly of Mr. Nancy, but without the lime. This is good, as I really like Mr. Nancy. Dry, Pinched lightens quite a bit and ends up smelling like cinnamon cookies! I never really got the coffee, which is just as well (I like to drink it, but I don't wanna smell like it!). Pinched is wonderful and I'm sad I only have a sniffy of it (I was a little afraid to test it, I didn't want to fall in love!).

I can live without a big bottle... but only because I don't have any other option!

A sweet, almost cherry note in the imp, which I'm sure is the cigar note. It's not bad, if a little weird.

Wet on the skin, helloooo throw. Good lord, this blooms right away, a definite "smoking sweet cigars" scent. It's gorgeous, though, dry and papery. Fortunately the initial blast of scent fades off pretty quickly. Otherwise I was about to proclaim this pretty but way too strong. The throw's still good, occasionally giving me a sniff of smoky, sultry goodness. This is such an accurate scent that I want to cough. I know it's a mental association, but I'm impressed.

I don't get coffee at all which is mildly disappointing, but I will survive. I'm happy with my sweet vanilla tobacco scent and the occasional candy-like whisper that hangs around it. Don't have a bottle, but the imp will last me a while.

Sweet tobacco in the imp. :P On the dry down the coffee comes out and turns my gorgeous tobacco into vanilla coffee with way too much creamer. I don't know where I get creamer from but its there and coming out in spades. It's actually too cloying.

I now see why others may like it, but alas it is not for me.

Oh ifinena, how you spoil me :P

In the vial & wet, Pinched is much lighter & fresher than I was expecting - instead of a cloying foody bonanza, it's very sweet but clear & clean. Caramel, but clear syrup, not the overwhelming caramel of, say, Red Lantern. Lots of bright cinnamon bark - very woody & dry, again not disgustingly foody. The coffee is barely there, just a bracing, bitter whiff. Once things dry down, I can see that the caramel note is actually the tobacco, sweet but becoming more perfumed & leafy with a trace of smoke.

Akin to Three Witches, but without the creaminess. Yeah, this is a winner :D

Very faint. I can barely smell anything! :P

All I smell is faint woodiness.

EDITED: I want to note that after a few minutes this has warmed up considerably on my skin. Very faint vanilla. Mild woodiness. Based on others reviews, I was thinking this would somehow be a Super Bordello. Hmmmm.....

Edited by hellomoonglow

I never thought that I would ever like a tobacco scent...I was wrong.

I love "smoky" scents, but tobacco was always a killer note for me. I heard so many dazzling reviews that I finally decided to try it for the heck of it through a swap. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. This reminds me of a sweet cigar. I don't get cinnamon at all. Maybe somewhat coffee? But to me, it's mostly a sweet cigar which reminds me of my favorite anime character, Integra "Teggy" Hellsing.

Mmm...sexy.

Able to get a testable sniffy from a generous forumite! This is a lovely, smoky, smooth-sweet woodsy scent. Sweet without being foody, or overly cinnamon-y or coffee-y. I definitely see what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately, it faded quickly on my skin. It was very delicious while it was there, though, and if it were resurrected, or a bottle fell in my lap, I'd be very excited! But I think I will not devote my life to seeking out the spare drops. There are many other BPAL goodnesses out there to love.

I'm another very lucky one who was gifted a testable sniffy from a wonderful forumite!

In the imp: Sweet tobacco with a hint of coffee.

On my skin: The tobacco and coffee disappear, and out comes a sweet, cinnamony scent that borders on foody (but not quite). I feel like I'm detecting a touch of maple syrup or caramel. A warm, comforting scent that makes me want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book.

in the bottle sharp, woody, with just the tiniest breath of a coffee scent

wet on skin the sharpness disappears completely and what's left is a very sweet, soft smell like brown sugar and dry tobacco leaves with still just the smallest whiff of coffee beans

dry on skin this is very pretty and has the kind of universal appeal that is the real key to its popularity. it's not that it's drop dead gorgeous, but that it's so incredibly inoffensive and softly sweet that i can't imagine anyone on earth actively hating this. if i had the opportunity to buy a bottle for a reasonable amount, i'd do it in a heartbeat, but this isn't so fantastic that i need to break the bank for it.

Just got a sniffie of this in a recent order. This is warm and woody and slightly foody...the most inviting background of cherry pipe tobacco, with the tiniest touch of coffee, swirling vanilla incense, and the smooth warm woods of the walls of somebody's cozy den. I'm not going to go crazy to try and hunt this one down on ebay or some such, but if it gets resurrected then I will be the first in line to get a bottle of this BPAL classic. Get it if you can, you lucky dog!

Edited by OneTheyCallLuna

I was gifted a tiny, tiny drop of this, just enough to test on my skin. I didn't think it was my sort of thing, judging by the notes, but it was much prettier than it sounds! Very sweet and inoffensive, not even particularly dry, but almost syrupy! I can't match this with the description at all! In fact it was hard to pick out any notes. But I wouldn't say no to more of it!

There are a handful of BPAL scents that make me wish I had accidentally stumbled upon the company one, two, even three years earlier than I did. Pinched with Four Aces is *definitely* one of these scents. It is, indeed, ManBait (or, should you prefer, LadyBait). Holy sh*t, it is good. Coffee, cinnamon (which, I've discovered, is one of my favorite notes), and tobacco. (I read recently that the smell of cinnamon is a major aphrodesiac). Oh yeah.

This scent has changed drastically since I first bought my decant when it came out. When it was fresh it was all woody coffee with some golden sweetness.

Today I put some on and got...... butterscotch? And a bit of coffee, like someone poured a bit of coffee into butterscotch ice cream topping. Much, much sweeter than I remembered it. The woods are there, but they're off in the distance.

As it dries, it stayed pretty much the same. The "golden glow" that was part of fresh Pinched comes out after a few hours, but it struggles through the butterscotch. Later on, the woods finally come forward - a bit of wood encircled by a halo of sweetness. The coffee is long gone by this time.

This scent lasts & lasts. This would be perfect for a winter's day, sitting curled up by a fire.