Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
minouska

Aries

black pepper / frankincense
ginger

I'm a little hesitant to post this, because I'm not very good at describing scents or picking out notes...but I know a lot of people are curious, so maybe this will be helpful?

Aries is spicy and warm and a strong scent, although I haven't had it on long enough to say if it is long-lasting. It's not feminine, but not really masculine either. There are definitely familiar notes in it, but I can't quite place them--maybe myrr? or musk? The more I smell it the more I think there's sandlewood in it, and perhaps some patchouli. A bit smoky, a tiny hint of wood smoke or something like that? It's not a hippy smell, but it's not a seductive glamour-girl smell either. Although it is a little sexy. It does smell kind of how I think of Aries, but I wouldn't say it meshes perfectly with my body chemistry, if that makes sense--it's not a smell that is ME, but it is a familiar, comfortable smell. I think there's something incense-y as well.

I like it, and the longer I wear it the more I like it, but I don't think I'd wear it all the time. I hope someone else can pick out the notes better.

I could really smell the ginger in this, as well as the black pepper. The pepper isn't an in-your-face type of smell, it adds background to the scent. I'm terrible with descriptions, but the scent reminded me of heat. It's a great unisex scent. i feel comfortable wearing it, even though it's not "girlie" at all. However, men would enjoy this scent, as well. I did find that I had to re-apply after a few hours of wear, but that's not a bad thing.

Onlydreamin

This is another fabulous scent.....I feel even though this is a gender neutral scent I feel it smells more masculine.

I got this for my boyfriend and when he first applied the oil to his skin I could smell what seemed spicy - must have been the pepper and the ginger - then after it dryed down it was very warm fragrance - on his skin it smelled sort of like a patchouli/vanilla mix. This is a very provacative/sexy earthy type of scent and really stayed with him all evening and I could still smell a hint of it in the morning!!! This is definitely a keeper! :P

Why the hell can I smell After Eights with this?! (Chocolate Mint) My nose must be on holiday! It couldn't be further off the mark if it tried. I am not going to post a review of this until I know my nose is working reliably again! :P

Confused....

Update:

Right, think my nose is working now! On with the review...

I am finding it difficult to pick out notes on this one. It's a very warm, spicy, yet there is a freshness to it for me, perhaps that explains the mint I thought smelt earlier - and I still think I can smell it (odd). For me, it is more masculine than feminine and it's very strong... or rather wilful/headstrong - in keeping with Aries I think.

Quite a pleasing scent, but not sure I would buy a bottle of it again. Not quite me, but then I've never been the archetypal Aries either.

I bought a 5 ML of this based solely on the description, even though I am usually a floral (lilac, lavender, tuberose) kind of a girl, and I am so glad I did. This is delicious, warm, spicy without being in your face about it. I couldn't stop sniffing myself for hours ... and for those of you who are Lushies, it is divine with Hot Toddy.

REVISITED FEBRUARY 2013:

From an imp I decanted from my own bottle which remains from the 2004 release. It's actually been decanted into a different 5 ML cobalt bottle because I had an issue with the bottle cap way back when ... I'd estimate I still have about 2.5 ML remaining (it's a slightly different shape than the BPAL bottles which makes it tougher to be accurate eyeballing with the amount -- same issue with my bottle of unreleased Peace, which I'll revisit when I get to the Ps).

IMP: An eye-opening blend of pepper and spice!

Applied to wrists, crook of arm and cleavage.

WET: My first thought was that it's a slightly spicier and gentler version of Anne Bonny, which was yesterday's revisit scent ... which also allowed me to identify the frankincense part of the AB! This just adores my skin and vice versa, melding into the most intoxicating blend of golden spice, fizz and comfort.

DRYDOWN: When it dries, another very light layer of a new scent comes out that I can't put my finger on but which is definitely familiar from other BPAL scents. Slightly "funky" but not in a bad way (Hod comes to mind, no pun intended, so maybe I should check the notes that were ascertained by other BPALers on that one to see if there is something in common).

OVERALL: I find it so interesting to note my initial comments ... it's true that when I first ventured into BPAL buying, I went floral because it seemed safer, since I knew which florals I liked. But as I got more daring, I discovered that, in fact, I'm NOT a floral girl ... I am definitely a pepper-ginger-resin-spice girl (Scary, maybe, or Ginger). I think Aries was one of the first scents that made me realize that ... I'm so glad I still have some left. I save it for special occasions.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

This is definitely a fire scent. The ginger is apparent, as is the black pepper. There's a medicinal smell that I keep on getting from the Zodiac scents. It's a warm scent that seems like a skin scent. In my head, it's like the warmth that radiates from your skin after you've been exercising a lot, but without the salt and sweat. I can't really see this as a perfume, if that makes sense. To me, it's just not a very pleasant-smelling, nor does it really evoke a mood or atmosphere.

The description of this one is dead-on, for me. Started out pure spice-rack, like I'd dusted my arm with ground ginger and black pepper. A little strange, but not bad. Within an hour or so, the frankincense (smelled just like Catholic-mass incense) emerged to balance it. A dry, intriguing fragrance. I could see it being unisex. Not sure yet if it's for me, but I'm enjoying sniffing at it all the same!

I'm glad I got to try Aries because I was so curious about it, but in the end I didn't really care for it. It really is a blast of ginger and the ginger is made even hotter by the black pepper. It smells just like the juice from a fresh slice of ginger, not a drop of sweetness in this blend. About two hours into the drydown the frankincense began to emerge and believe it or not, THAT actually smelled sweet compared to the first two hours of Aries. I'm more into the sweeter foody blends but if you crave pure spiciness, give Aries a try :P

Very nice. Warm and spicy. The ginger is definitely the dominant note in Aries, while the black pepper and frankincense keep it from being foody. Received several compliments from ladies at the club. Smells more masculine than unisex to me, although it would be excellent for a few red-headed hellions I know.

ginger? well ok, but I'm not sure I got that. I did get some cinnamon, but not too strong, and I could believe there is pepper in it....something sweet too...but not dragon's blood as in Mars...or at least I don't think so....yeah, maybe frankincense.

anyway, this is mars light on me. Not bad, but mars was better. And it faded super quick.

I swapped it and mars both.

In bottle: Pine. Chocolate? Wood. Almost something orange? Weird, that's nothing like what is described in here.

On me: Patchouli seems to come through quite strongly. The bottle-to-skin fragrance is completely different! It's quite intriguing. The strange chocolate note is gone...it is now wood chips scattered on the dirt floor of a log cabin. Rich and earthy, and am I insane because that doesn't much match the notes mentioned at all!

Initial Sniff: Hoo boy that's spicy! The black pepper and frankincense really jump out at me. This is both earthy and fiery at the same time.

Wearing: Yep, it's still spicy! On my skin it is really quite earthy. The ginger still has not made an appearance.

Final Impressions: I don't really like this. I'm not an Aires, so I guess I don't need to feel too bad about that!

This is not "pretty" in the but it sure is interesting and addictive. This is one of the that you keep sniffing over and over and over. It's almost minty in it's spiciness. It's close to a medicinal smell but in an herbal way. (if that makes any sense). I am an Aries and that might explain why I love this when normally I wouldn't.

I'm head over heels for this.

In the bottle I smelled mostly the pepper. Wet I smelled the ginger as well. Dry I smelled the ginger and pepper, but softened, and the frankincense has come out to play. Amazing. I can't stop sniffing my wrist!

I was very excited to try this blend. It wasn't as bitingly spicy as I expected, but was in fact smooth and bright. The spice and incense are there, as is the giner (which doesn't like me) but there also seems to be some exotic citrus smell- yuzu maybe? I rather liked it, until something reacted with my skin and Aries plummeted squarely into pure lemon. Very sad, and going off to swaps.

Aries:

Originated from: Celestials Circular swap

Wet: ... civet? This smelled a lot like civet in the imp and wet on my skin.

Drydown: Upon drydown, Aries smelled much more like pepper and ginger to me.. almost like smelling my spice rack, with a hint of incense burning in the background.

Longterm wear: Aries strikes me as a very masculine scent, and not one I'd be likely to wear often. it's a tad too spicy for my tastes.

at first: i definitely smell ginger and pepper. i'm not sure if i'll like this one.

on: wow. i dislike this. a lot. i can really only do ginger in lighter, more citrussy scents, and this simply isn't.

1 hour later: this is definitely better now. more of a light incense smell.

2.5 hours later: i really don't like this. it's going very woodsy on me.

3.5 hours later: still very strong and woodsy.

overall: very much not me, but i'm glad i have a bit.

I wasn't sure of this one, at first. It goes on, well, thick is probably the best way to describe it. Or murky. The ginger is apparent first after it has settled a little, probably that freshness that others mentioned. It develops into a warm, sure envelope whose fieriness is deepened by the frankincense and mellowed a little by a soft citrus/floral, maybe bergamot or even neroli. Or perhaps that's just the lighter notes of the ginger coming through!

This is one of Beth's scents that gave me a definite feeling first time, instead of a learned association of mood with progressive applications. It makes me feel strong. Strong and capable and not at all mousey! This is mousey banishing fluid. :P

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Musky with something lighter -- ginger? Like k00kaburra, I also detected a wood note.

Wet: Pepper. Definitely black pepper.

Drydown: Well, this is definitely a fire sign! I don't get the ginger very much, which is a bit odd, but my skin tends to amplify spice and incense. And I'm DEFINITELY getting the black pepper and frankincense here!

Final thoughts: It's very evocative of the sign, but as it's more on the masculine side, it's not for me. I'm very much so a girly girl.

This was actually one of the first couple dozen BPAL scents that I ever tried, and at the time I passed on it because of the pepper. I love the lab's frankincense -- LOVE it -- but the pepper kicks this into a sharp, hot category that doesn't work well for me with the sweet, dark resin.

It is a little hot on my skin, as well, because of the pepper -- the frankincense is so gorgeous that it almost overrides it, but ultimately I can't stomach the sharp, high, hot scent of ginger and pepper overriding the sweet polished wood resin of frankincense and I have to wash it off and put Penitence on in its place.

I have Aries rising, moon and in Mars, and my mom is an Aries, so this is a scent that I would very much like to bond with, but I can only deal with the frankincense portion of it. I do like ginger in other blends but I think there must be a lot of it in this, as it pierces my sinuses along with the pepper.

In the imp: godawful. sharp cedary.

On me: Wow. I thought I'd like this. I've loved other fire elements so far -- Sol & Saggitarius, and this is reminiscent of both. Less firey than Sol, Less complicated and spicey than Sagg. But still delicious, sweeter, mellower. The frankincense shows through nicely. Oh my skin likes this yes it does!!! So sad it's not my imp, just from the circular swap.

Others have called this masculine. I wouldn't, not really. It has the warm/sweet earthiness/sexiness from Cerberus. So sad this is discontinued. It goes to the top of my wishlist.

My imp mostly leaked out in transit, so there was only enough left to test once.

In the bottle: Woody. Like cedar or sandalwood, with pepper added.

First on: Pepper & ginger are the most prominant, but there's something slightly softer in the background that makes it a very nice scent and not too masculine, at least on me.

Drydown: Now the sandalwood is more prominant, both ginger & pepper seems to stand out blatantly on me for a short time and then dissappear completely. I still get a hint of ginger, but not much. It's still a lovely scent, but I definitely liked it better beforehand.

Bottle (Imp): Fresh and spicy.

Just On: Yeah, fresh and spicy. It's interesting.

An hour or two later: This is very well blended, and I can't really pick out any notes. I just get foresty fresh (not trees or pine, but somehow I get forest), and some spice from it.

Around 6 hours: I'm getting a tiny bit of fresh spices, and not much else.

12 hours: It's all gone.

Overall: I like it, but it's not quite in my top twenty or anything.

After reading other reviews: Okay, the pepper is nice in this, so that makes me happy. The ginger is probably the freshness. The frankincense is probably the freshness, although I see some folks thought patchouli and /or sandalwood, which could be it as well.

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Very strange in the bottle, once you put it on it totally morphs into something very nice. Has a baby oil note to it but also a very "clean" note. I liked it a lot.

Aries

In the imp: spicy, warm and resinous. Apparently this contains frankincense, pepper and ginger? I can smell them in here!

Wet on skin: oh my, this is gorgeous! I love frankincense! and combined with spices, this smells loooovely! It reminds me of Ahathoor, actually-another blend which I love!

Dry on skin: wow this is wonderful! I just love the spices in here, mingled with golden frankincense. There's also a nice sweetness to this blend.

After a while: I'm wondering if there's a sweeter note here, like carnation or cinnamon, or cloves? There's definitely a lovely sweet note in this, it sweetens up the resin scent and the spices. It is fading though-noooooo!!!

But...just when I thought it would fade forever, the frankincense returns and I'm left with a wonderful, sweet, slightly spicy, golden aroma.

Verdict: as an Aries, I have been searching endlessly for this blend, and when I go it, I suddenly realised this was perfect for my sign and my skin chemistry! This is spiced frankincense, heated up by pepper and ginger, with a slight sweetness. It's wonderful and if it wasn't discontinued (or if it was re-released as an LE-pleeeeeease?) I'd buy a nice big bottle of this!

Edited by yeahbutnobut