Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TygherRayn

Judgement

Judgement

In the imp: patchouli? I think there's patchouli in here, and something resinous and/or woody.

Wet on skin: mmm, this smells good. A really nice blend of deep resins and something a bit wine-like.

Dry on skin: whoa. I'm not sure what's in here, but it's very intriguing. It seems resinous, sweet, deep, dark, woody? I think there's wine here too. There's a note here that smells like good sweet wine. I think there are some incense/resin notes too. Maybe even patchouli, or a wood of some sort, underneath it all? Very enigmatic but very nice too.

After a while: over time, the wine/grape note becomes more apparent, surrounded by the patchouli and resins/woods. It's a nice sweet grape scent with depth. There's also a scent in here that reminds me somewhat of red musk. It's a fruity, deep richness that could be a musk of sorts and reminds me a bit of Sin, though that could also mean there's myrrh here with the patchouli. I like that!

As this dries, I'm getting a lovely fruity red musk scent. Yum, I love red musk!

Verdict: this is a pleasant, yet intriguing scent. It reminds me of deep sweet red wine framed by resins and patchouli. There's something about it that reminds me of Sin, but with a fruity aspect instead of the cinnamon, and I'm sure it has a red musk scent to it as well, which shows up more over time. It's a very rich sweet fragrance with gorgeous depth and richness, I wouldn't mind getting hold of some more!

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

I like this! Judgement (why is it spelled wrong, anyway?) smells like musk of some sort (red, I think) and a background of what smells like patchouli. It reminds me of Malediction, somewhat. This could be too musky for me, but right now I really like this. It’s dark and intense, both of which appeal to me.

Wet on skin:

Musky (I’m almost positive it’s red musk) with a background of patchouli (it’s hard to tell with the musk being so prominent). This is muskier than what I’d normally wear, but I like it. This would probably smell great on a guy.

Dry down:

Mmm, is that incense I smell? I do believe it is! Dry, Judgement smells like red musk, patchouli and some sort of incense. I really like this, although I’m not sure I’d ever use a whole 10mL (I don’t normally wear strong musky scents).

The bottom line:

A rare winner in the Tarot collection. I may very well get a bottle of this. :P

Judgement is phenomanal. I smell amber is this blend, follwed by black patchouli, musk, and something slightly sweet. This smells like Snake Charmer if you removed the coconut and vanilla.

The dry down is resiny, musky and earthy. I'm in love with this one. Gorgeous. :P

In bottle: Familiar - I think this is similar to one of the discontinued oils. Very dark and laden with patchouli, but a bit herbal as well. Reminds me heavily of a new-age shop.

On me: Amber comes out on the skin. Very incensy but amber adds that sweetness and touch of fruitiness that makes it wearable for me, even though it's a bit musky. I imagine it would blend very well with vanilla.

Hm, I love patchouli... so I was hopeful for this one. Sadly, I'm not smelling any patchouli :P

First on this was medicinal herbs and something dry and woodsy. After a few minutes I can detect warm, powdery amber and woods. After a half hour, I was really enjoying this as it was piney and resinous.

After about an hour of wear, this one completely turned on me. It ended up smelling like green herbal soap. I'm not sure what made this turn soapy on me... but I've tried to wear it 3 times now with the same end result. I'm going to try this one out on the boy and see what happens.

Really musky and spicy, kind of like patchouli + sandalwood together,

which means I really liked it initially.

However, sometime underneath this is downright salty. What a weird kick.

The saltiness is mingled with something sweet and metallic, copper-like.

It's something like a weird sauce... ha, it just smells so familar and I'm not sure why. The metallic saltiness tickles my nose.

It also sinks into my skin really quickly and fades from sight.

I am so torn about this one, and I'm rarely torn about scents.

Patchouli or dark musk with a hint of Dragon's Blood? Something sweet, in any case.

I'm not sure I like this one...I won't say I dislike it, either, but I'm glad I only have an imp.

Oro

This smells familiar. I think I've smelled another BPAL oil that smells like this. Its all black patchouli with a little sandalwood on me. A little resinous as well. Its very pretty

In the imp: Dark and sweet -- herbal and wood?

On, wet: A slightly more floral aspect shows up. A slight sweetness that reminds me of amber or sandalwood.

Drydown: Yep, sandalwood. And something darker, patchouli perhaps.

I like it. It's a lot like The Emperor, actually.

Edit, later: Hmm. This definitely shares some note in common with Dragon's Musk, because it's gone all weird and sharp on me the way that DM has done in the past. This I'm not so keen on. Still, it's a well-made scent.

Edited by hangingfire

Judgement

Earthy Dragon's Blood. I'm getting the sweet resin of Dragon's Blood with the barest hint of cherry to it plus a strong helping of something very earthy. This is a very deep scent. It is fairly heavy too. The Dragon's Blood sweetens up the patchouli a touch, but overall this is very earthy.

Source: Tarot circle swap

This is an interesting card for me. It doesn't show up often in a reading, but when it does, I feel good about it, because it seems to me to mean that a cycle has ended--often positively--and its time to think about it, learn from it, move on. This is the card of transformation and change, yet change that is rooted in the lessons and experiences of the past.

I suppose I'm a bit surprised that the scent is so earthy, but it is also heady. Earthy because it absoultely smells like musk, and its a rich musk, so I defer to those with better judgement on musk who call it red musk (certainly the oil is rich red brown!). And while I can't absolutely pick out pachouli, I suspect its in here too. Maybe a sandalwood as well, though often BPAL sandalwood dominates a blend on me, and this isn't happening here. There is also something sweet and powdery in it, which could be the musk--which on me goes powdery. Or it could be amber as some others have suggested.

I said this scent is also heady, and it is, but not in the light, soaring way I might have expected with this card (which to me would suggest a light, bright airy scent which this most definately is not). Its heady because its intoxicating--I keep sniffing my wrist and sighing with the beauty of it. It smells like the fragrant ash left after burning incense, and as I wear it, it turns a little sweeter, with something under there that might be floral.

It reminds me a bit of the World, though when I put on the World from the decant circle, it was nothing like the version of the World I have....And I have a tarted version from the Lab. Well, I'll take that odd issue up elsewhere.

Overall, Judgement is very lovely and I'm tempted to buy a bottle.

In the imp: whoa, patchouli and resin.

On me, wet: very deep warm patchouli and some sort of resin - reminding me of Lust a lot. Dark and strong.

On me, dry: ah, it must be frankincense rather than myrrh, since it's gone powdery. Bah, all the dark complexity gone to powder - a vaguely patchouli-scented powder.

Verdict: Blech, not so great. Off to the swap pile, I guess.

In the imp Judgment is a dark red color, which usually means dragon's blood to me. And that is actually what it smells like in the imp, but that's not the scent I get from my skin. The first time I tried Judgment it smelled an awful lot like red musk, which I love, so I was thrilled. This time, I'm not getting so much red musk, kind of a sweet resiny scent. I can tell there's musk there, but I can't so easily identify it as red musk. I'll have to try it again later when I haven't coated myself in lotion first.

However I will say that of all the Tarot oils, the Judgment oil is my favorite scent.

First sniff: Dark, dark brownish-green. It seems no one else is getting vetiver, but that's what it reminded me of. There’s a cooler, lighter note on top, but vetiver almost always ruins scents for me.

Wearing: Resins and mint? Dark and bright. The mint is quite strong when wet, but as this dries it doesn't make much of an impression.

Judgement - When I first apply this, all I can smell is deep, red musk. It may as well be a musk single note from both the color and the scent. It's juicy and sweet. As it dries down, the red musk remains the dominant note, but there's something else in it that's slightly fruity (grape?) and incense-like. It doesn't morph much and maintains the same scent for the entire length of wear -- which is really long at about 6 hours, and I can still smell traces of it on my skin at hour 7. This is a really great scent and a must-have for red musk lovers.

this is musky and warm. it's a bit smoky too - someone said it was a little like a new-age store, and I can definitely see that. something about the scent makes me think "red."

Edited by Nightbird

Judgement: a beautiful, dark, smoky blend on me. I love it even more than I thought that I would. I get something deliciously woody, perhaps oakmoss? And resiny. It has staying power too. I'll definitely be getting a bigger bottle of this.

:P

First off, the oil itself looks almost distressingly like blood.

Wet, this is all red musk and patchouli. Red musk does this nag champa-ish thing on me, especially wet, so this is absolute Essence of Hippy Shop. As it dries, it becomes more classically musky, sweeter, and has a hint of wood or resin. It's very pretty, but I already have Scheherezade for That Hippy Shop Smell :P I'll use the imp and swap if someone else seems to really want it.

This isn't saying "Judgement" to me at all, but I'm only passingly familliar with the Tarot archetypes. I find it fascinating that while this doesn't evoke that concept for me at all, for all I know this scent that I'm getting on my wrist may well not be what Beth had intended for her evocation of "Judgement" either!

Musk, red musk, and patchouli are powerful in the forefront of this scent. It's a thick, dark red-orange, almost blood-colored.

On, again, musk and patchouli and hot metal. The throw is musky and thick. Up close this smells scorched. This is heat, but a dry heat.

Way underneath is a hint of something sweet; some floral or spice. It's intriguing, powerful, dangerous. Aha! That's it. It smells like dragon's blood, but not the perfume version. This smells exactly like burning dragon's blood resin in a brass brazier.

It stays an equal mix of patchouli, musk, and spicy florals all the way through, and is an absolutely amazing scent. Hot and powerful, inexorable, and beautiful.

In the bottle: Red musk, raunchy and dirty.

On my wrist, wet: Entirely red musk.

After 20 minutes: Red musk and every now and then a whiff of patchouli (fortunately, I like both red musk and patchouli).

After 40 minutes: Judgement is still primarily red musk with patchouli and a very faint herbal note beneath. While I love the red musk blends and love a well blended patchouli, this is not how I would envision the Judgement card. The oil could definitely be a wake-up call, do to the overpowering presence of the primal red musk, but I think that, at least with my body chemistry, there are important nuances of this card that are not addressed. As a scent, though, it's a fabulous, sexy musk and I'm so glad I have a bottle.

Ohh, red musk! This is glorious. This is a fabulous red musk and I just want to dive in and roll around. There’s amber too. There’s a touch of sweetness, which could be the amber, or the red musk, or a drop of something else to sweeten the blend. It’s like Smut, without the smuttiness, if you will (or what some people have termed the cheese smell).

The longer it wears the better it smells. I have to get a bottle of this. Or three.

Oh no.

Oh no.

Why didn't anyone tell me this smelled so much like Scheherezade?! It smells like Scheherezade's gorgeous and aggressive older brother.

In the vial, it smelled strongly of patchouli - almost too strongly, in fact - but as soon as I put it on it began a rapid morphing into a much stronger, darker version of Scheherezade. And where Scheherezade is dry, this has a certain "juiciness" about it.

I really can't pick any notes out for certain besides patchouli. It all just sort of morphs together into this spicy, incensy, sultry browness.

Oh god. You guys. I have only half an imp of this. :P

Short description: cousin of Lust

In depth: This one really reminded me of Lust from the start. So definately patchouli and red musk. I don't get any DB resin myself, but there do seem to be other resins in here, besides the patch and musk. Initially, I also got some strong mint/herb, but that faded. It's very earthy, sweet, and dark in that gorgeous patch/musk kind of way. I love this combination, and have a few of them, so this smells very "characteristic BPAL" to me. Love it!!

I just had to add that I'm sad that this is discontinued now, and I also just have a wee imp :P Ok, I'll admit that maybe I wouldn't go running to buy a bottle of this immediately, but I would have liked to have the opportunity in the future. Oh well, lucky that there are similar blends in the catalogue. I should probably stop trying Tarot oils though, or I will just end up discovering lots of unattainable loves. Le sigh.

Edited by Browneyes

Judgement

In vial, deep and woody, slightly nutty and a bit on the boozy side. Wet on skin, patchouli and amber and musk. As it dries, it warms up. This stage actually reminds me of Snake Oil, but with a mild patchouli bite.

[3 - Like] I like this, but it really reminds me of too many other things. I don't need to fall in love with a discontinued scent, so I'm going to let it go.