Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Enraged Groundhog Musk

Really ridiculous, insanely inappropriate, and staggeringly silly! Cranky groundhog musk sweetened up by chocolate-covered black cherries, cardamom, French vanilla, and caramel.

I think I'm really allergic to something in this scent because my wrists and elbows are red and insanely itchy after an application... so sensative skin lasses, be warned!
My fiance loves it, but I'm kind of "meh" on it... it smells nice and foody on, but the itching cometh, and it fades out really quickly to nondescript powdery meh. I'll stick to underbed, I think.

Going on, Enraged Groundhog Musk is a dry and spicy scent that makes me think of biscuits and graham crackers. Then for a while it's just intensely spicy and overwhelming, and the spice smells like a heavy cinnamon to me.

I was afraid of this scent because I hate chocolate covered cherry combinations, but I don't smell any chocolate at all. The cherry here pops up every once in a while and smells like pie cherries to me... muted and slightly bitter, the sort of cherries that come in a can and are that sickly pink color.

Anyhow. Graham crackers... intense cinnamon... drying down to light graham crackers and slightly bitter pie cherries. Staying power is only about an hour for me. I probably wouldn't ever wear this one again.

Oh wow, this went foul on me quickly. For one instant, is smells like the coffee scent in Misk U, then it quickly turns to moldy, rancid hazelnuts. This is just sickeningly icky on me.

In the bottle, foody, sweet and spicy, with a faint undernote of something I can't handle...but it doesn't reach out and punch me.

Dry...OMG musk musk musk. VERY strong, throw is intense and I must scrub this off. Strong musk does NOT work for me. The most pleasant thing, to me, about this scent is the cardamom, which I suppose could be confused for a faint cinnamon.

On my skin, dry, this isn't even faintly foody. It's for musky spice lovers for sure!

Edited: this has the burned smell I get from almost every BPAL with sugar or caramel in it. So sad!

Edited by djnevermore

Lately anything remotely sweet has just made me feel ill. Even though I love caramel in Red Lantern, in anything else, it turns my stomach. I thought this was just how I am until I felt a little queasy sniffing my beloved Alice this morning. Maybe I'm just going through a small hormonal change. So I'm going to give this another try.

For now, it makes my stomach turn but the chocolate didn't turn all weird and plasticky like it normally does. I think it's the tartness of the cherry that keeps it in check and there's a musky undertone that keeps it all from being exclusively foodie. I reminds me a bit of Velvet that way. I'm going to hold onto it and see if I can get past these weird phase and then I'll try it again.

This is interesting, because it's NOTHING like I expected it to be from the description. I really don't get anything but cardamom from it, which sucks. It reminds me A LOT of Underbed, whereas Underbed smells black , EGM is more of a brown. Weird, I know, but I definitely get colors out of these two scents. This is spicy, for sure.

Imp: All the fruity sweet foodiness the description promises. I want to know what happens to all the chocolate!

Wet: Graham crackers! That's it. Just the crackers.

Dry: Musk and cardamom. It's very faint, though, and it didn't last too long. I don't get cherry or chocolate, or even my hated caramel (buttery scents turn to ick on me). Just lightly spiced crust.

I must have weird chemistry, because I can't believe other people don't seem to be loving this as much as I do. On me it's a lightly chocolate-cherry-spice at first, and after a while it becomes a cocoa-cardamom musk. Then that dry foody musk lasts all day. Nothing lasts all day on me, but this does. And I love it! What are the chances of those two events coinciding?

Spicy sexy foody musk. :P

I love the bottle, I love the name, and I want to love the scent....but, it is not a top ten BPAL blend for me. I had such high hopes for it. But, like a lot of others around here, I don't get any cherry. On me, it is a lighter Monster Bait: Under Bed. The cassia (spice) note is not as prominent as it is in MB:UB, and the other notes blend to a light graham cracker without honey scent. I would love more cherry and more chocolate. But, I still love the little groundhog on the bottle and will probably keep it just because it puts such a smile on my face!

Musky and spicy - I'm not at all sure what I expected from this - I don't get much chocolate cherry, to be sure. Unfortunately, cassia and caramel do a one-two bad chemistry pubch with me - with caramel getting burnt, and cassia getting sharp, this is alas not a winner for me.

Sorry, I couldn't even get this as far as my skin. I sniffed it in the vial and knew it would nauseate me, and I usually like musks!

A friend did try it on. She asked me what I thought. I said, "I love you to death, but I can't stand it, sorry."

There's just something in it that smells like dirty socks to my nose. *shudder* Sorry Lab.

People have really mixed feelings about this scent and, wouldn't you know it, I bought two bottles of it unsniffed. :P That's just the way things work for me, I guess.

In the bottle - At first it's all spicey and musky, then picks up the alcohol twinge of the butter note and then gets something odd and plastic. Hrm.

Wet - ...Goldschlagger. WTF?

Drying - Holy crap, I must've put too much of this on because it's STRONG. The throw is freaking everywhere! It's very, very spicey. Sort of a butter cookie baked with cardamom and having tons of those little red hot candies all over it. Oddly enough, I think this may work at the very least with my personality. Most food scents are just too sweet and innocent smelling. This is in your face.

Dry (1 hour) - This is a really odd musk and it's really spicey still. It's not at all sweet anymore, just SPICE and MUSK. An animalistic musk, too, not one that I'd usually choose.

Overall - ...weeeell, I don't know. It's a possiblity, but I certainly didn't need two bottles of it. D'oh.

Not sure what possessed me to get a decant of EGM, but it seemed like a good idea at the time?

In the imp it smells like slightly spicy, really browned butter cookies dipped in chocolate. No sign of the black cherries though ? The buttery aspect (probably a combination of french vanilla + caramel) is kind of scaring me here ...

Wet on skin, I get ... muesli ? It's probably like what has previously been described as graham crackers, but we don't have graham crackers here (: It's good that the buttery aspect has kind of gone away though - that always seems to turn into plastic on me.

Once dry, it's kind of sweet and cereal-y on me. Nothing has turned horrible on me, but I can't say it something I'd like to be smelling like very oftten? It might do well in an oil burner though, sweet kitchen baking smells without the work of baking! Although, I do like having the end product of baking about...

In bottle: Overwhelming caramel-foody goodness hit me pretty much as soon as I opened the bottle. A closer sniff brings out more of the chocolate and a touch of black cherry.

On me: Delicious caramel. Mmm...some chocolate, too. Fairly musky, and overall delicious!

My first Enraged annimal!

In the vial: Cocoa, vanilla, and carmel. Promising!

On the skin: There's the cherries... the cocoa stays for me, the cardamom starts popping on the dry down, and that's about it for this groundhog. It's okay but it just soaks right into my skin and vanishes. No seeing his shadow.

Right out of the bottle this smells like neapolitan ice cream. I smell a mish mash of chocolate, vanilla and the cherry. The cherry in this is really mild though and fades almost right away.

After about 15 minutes I am getting a little bit of a warm tingle on my wrist and a warm spicy sent comes through. This would be the cardamom which many others were confusing for cinnamon, and wooo baby, it is FABULOUS. It is such a lovely spicy scent. It is a lot sweeter than cinnamon. To me cardamon smells like if you mixed cinnamon in some hot caramel. So imagine that smell mixed with the chocolate/vanilla base this is fading into a wonderful spice cake a la mode scent. Yummy!

I'm usually not big on foody scents, but couldn't resist trying this one, just because it sounded so crazy. And the description pretty much does it justice... It's spicy chocolate cherries, over a soft vanilla-musk background. Thankfully, the caramel, which is usually one of the worst foody notes on me, is pretty weak in this one.

Cherry is about my least favourite fruit note, though -- I don't hate it exactly, but it's a little too close almond for comfort, and I really dislike almond. The cherry's not overwhelming in here, thankfully, but it's enough to keep me from being too fond of it. The cherry does eventually fade, and I like it better after that, but it's also very faint by that point.

On the whole, it's not bad -- a bit like Smut with cherries, or a softer, muskier Vice. Don't know if I like it enough to hang onto it, but Kettu's reaction upon first sniffing it was a loud squee, followed by "I want to eat the little groundhogs! I want to eat them all up!!!, and then by more sniffing and some rapturous sighing. So I will likely save it for her to wear once she's had the babies and no longer had to avoid perfume.

Grade: B

Bottle: Mmmm... spicy cakes!

Wet: Spicy! God god, this is strong. I keep getting occasional wafts of cherry bakewell...

Dry: Fortunately it soon settles down to a lovely warm spicy, caramel vanilla. The cherry has gone and the chocolate never arrived. So just like Vice then! Thank god for the spiciness and foodiness for saving the day...

I've always avoided the musks, but this smelled so amazingly sweet-spicy-candied-good in the bottle that I gave in and tried it on.

Wet, it was like a really, really good piece of spicy cinnamon-and-cardamom cake, all chewy and kinda making me want to eat my own wrist. The chocolate and cherry were definitely present, but less vital, in their own way, than the spice. The spice is life!

As it dried down and matured, it became richer without losing complexity, settling into a fabulous blend of sweets and spices. Very nice.

I am pleased.

Bottle: all sorts of foody sweet love. Very candy-esque, like some good chocolate dipped caramel swizzeled spice topped cherries.

Wet: the spice is good, a bit strong over the sweetness. Reminds me of the way gingerbread spices smell, only a little more bitter. The nice fruit is a little sour, and the cocoa is really dry, like baking cocoa.

Dry: just hot spices and dry cocoa, all the caramel and cherry have vanished. The vanilla is there underneath the cardamom, but not a typical vanilla.

5 minutes later: almost gone now! Most foody scents last long on me, but this is gone into a vanilla powder.

It would've been good to have something sooo foody and easy to find, but there are other cocoas and vanilla out there.

Edited by backstagemezzo

In the bottle:

Chocolate, caramel and a hint of vanilla. Lovely!

On skin wet:

It becomes slightly gingery, but I can still smell vanilla- just a hint of it.

Dried down:

It smells like a mix of ginger and something else I can't put my finger on- whatever it is, it's not very nice :P

I really, really like this one. Good thing, because I bought multiple bottles unsniffed.

On me, it goes on with a lot of heavy sweetness. I smell chocolate and caramel almost right off the bat. Lately, the cherry note has just FINALLY started to come out to play (hurrah for aging). The candy smells start to fade and the spicy cardamom comes blasting onto the scene. There is still some chocolate in the background, but it plays nicely with the spice. The cherry even remains for a time before vanishing into the mix.

It lasts all day, and I love it. I smell like spicy cake and that's perfectly OK with me. I'm so glad that I have this and that I have several. It's one of those scents that I sniff and wonder why I own so many other bottles...don't I ALWAYS want to wear this? Also, it's one of the few gourmand scents that I have been able to happily wear in the humid Florida heat. I haven't touched things like Eat Me or Shub in months because it's just too hot. Somehow, this one just works. The ONLY bad part is that I cannot apply it until after I've been out of the shower for at least twenty minutes, and even then sometimes I get a bit of a red reaction on my neck and inner elbows.

I'm just a bit saddened that more people have not liked this one, but on the other hand, it means more for me :P

*embraces weird skin chemistry*

From the bottle: Very spicy woodsy smell.......I'm starting to worry.

On my skin: Lots of cardamom mixed with cherry wood and a faint waft of caramel every now and then. My nose is completely confused.

I'll keep one bottle but I don't see myself wearing it very much, maybe next winter? It smells very intriquing and yummy in its own weird way though. :P

In the bottle – The slightly tart cheesecake scent that I associate with Beaver Moon coupled with something quite bitter (the musk perhaps?)

Wet on me – Ferocious musk (I’m not good enough to know which sort). Just a hint of the chocolate, but this is all about the musk

Dry on me – Mostly quite an aggressive dark musk. After about 6 hours it settles into a bitter dark chocolate

Overall – I guess I didn’t expect the musk to be so prominent on me, but this just isn’t what I hoped for

What an odd scent! It is very silly.

On me wet and in the imp it smells just like graham crackers--slightly dusty ones. As it dries, the cardamom starts to come in with a vengeance, and it is so strong it almost makes me think there is some cinnamon in there too, though maybe not. At this stage, the effect is of graham crackers stored in a spice cupboard.

Chocolate? Nope. Cherries? Nope (but I wasn't keen on the choco-cherry combo anyway). Caramel? No, but there is bit of rich sweetness just starting to come through, so perhaps it will develop.

all in all, quite different than I expected.