Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
spanishviolet

The Oblation

A stirring blend of dianthus, French lavender, blackberry, and white honey.

A user on the first page of reviews mentioned smelling like peach, and I get that too. I'm betting it's the combination of the blackberry and honey notes. Together, they rise up into a VERY sweet peachy note, a bit artificial, that subsequently drops away and lets the lavender take over. Great throw, at least in the initial stage; I wish it lasted longer.

I like this, even if the effect isn't totally what I expected, so I'll use up my half-decant. I'm going to test Yerevan to see if there's any Law of Nasal Checks and Balances by which a peach note, on me, would do the opposite thing and smell like blackberries!

The strangest scent. The lightest honey mingles with fresh, herbal lavender for a scent full of . . . damn. Our vocabulary for scent is very poor. "Olfactory dissonance" is the only way I can describe it. The two scents oppose each other, one dry, one syrupy, one clean, one fleshy, one very forward, one basal. The blackberry is a persistent reverberation even after I pull back from the open bottle, but it is not apparent up close.

The fierce herbal twang to this only intensifies once it is applied. The dianthus – carnation, y'all – only adds to it. I am afraid this is foul on me, a scent tense with the feral odor of a flower bed newly soaked with cat piss.

As such, I can't even properly classify this; I'll take a stab and call it an herbal floral suitable for people who like lavender scents, but are searching for something a bit off the path, as it were, from the usual.

Those who cannot usually wear lavender, be warned. This is particularly intense and aggressive once it goes on, and the scent is not easy to remove.

I bought a bottle of The Oblation because of the reviews. They sounded so lovely! I love carnations and blackberry, how could this not work? I received the bottle today and opeded it and smelled....nothing??? Hmmmm...I will try again...I smell a funny smell, not the gorgeous florals and fruits that the reviews promised. I did put some on and over the next hour kept smelling my arm to see if something would happen. Gradually, I did start smelling some florals but just lightly and a touch of herbal. I can also smell the stem part of the flower, but not in a good way-in a wet and soggy way. After an hour and a half, it did start behaving and toned down and was a pleasant floral but still not the strong blackberry I was hoping for.

This scent is not agreeing with me at all, which makes me very sad because the combination of lavender, honey and blackberry sounded so good. Instead, the lavender comes screaming from the bottle clubbing me over the head. Wet and drying all I get is bitter lavender (and maybe a bit of dianthus mixed in for extra ack!) that burns the inside of my nostrils. It finally settled down quite a while later into blackberry honey. Which is what I wanted in the first place. However, I'm not sure how to cope with the lavender attack for so long before this lovely honeyed smell finally reaches my nose. Maybe a scent locket.

ETA: I found the culprit: lavender!

Edited by heysunshine

I can smell the lavender...and mixing it with the honey is a very smart idea because it becomes sweet lavender. The after smell is the blackberries which are a slight tart way to finish off the smell! I love this one if I smell it for a long time...but if I just take a whiff off it then it's not the same. I need to study it as I smell it.

In looking for the perfect blackberry scent, I managed to acquire a bottle of The Oblation. Unfortunately, it's not exactly happy with my skin chemistry. :P

In the bottle: LAVENDER. Lots and lots of it.

Wet: Lavender is RIGHT THERE in the forefront of this while wet, but very gradually something damp and green starts to shift forward. It smells like fresh leaves -- could it be the dianthus? For a while, all I get is this greenery and lavender

Drydown: Here comes the blackberry. Unfortunately, it's turned quite sour with the addition of the honey. Blackberries are quite tart to begin with, but honey sadly goes even more sour on my skin, and these two scents amp together considerably. After a while, it all settles down into a slightly sweet, nondescript floral.

Overall: This blend induces either unpleasantness or apathy. It's unfortunate, but I'm hoping I can find it a happy home with someone else!

I realized long ago that I couldn't wear lavender. I was hoping it would take a back seat to the berries and honey. Unfortunately not. But it is a lovely blend in my diffuser.

It starts out with a lovely lavender (sleepy time) blend which gives way to the blackberries and honey, but still keeping a soft hint of the lavender.

If you can't wear this one, I'd definitely recommend it as a room scent. :P

Gack. Lemony, bittersweet shock in the bottle.

On me -- lavender and what I assume is the dianthus - sharp, astringent, unpleasant and somehow reminiscent of cat piss. Calms down a bit and becomes a sweet-bitter blackberry medicinal candy. Blackberry rising...still undermined by sour-bitter-oddness. There are brief moments where the blackberry becomes almost lovely, but never quite makes it. Yicky.

This stuff is wonderful! I've been using it during autumn and winter, but this also seems fantastic for warmer months. I love it!

In the bottle: A very nice blackberry wine, its sweet but also tart. The floral scents of dianthus and lavender are there, but subtle and add to the pleasant tartness.

On my wrist: The lavender really woke up, but the blackberry is still present. I can almost get a whiff of honey, I think, but it all blends so nicely together.

After a few minutes: Yum...I'm getting a very nice and mouthwatering peachy aroma now ~ peach is one of my favourite fruits ~ its not in the lab's description, but I'm not crazy, I saw at least one other person notice the peach!

It also smells very clean, I think that must be the lavender.

I've read more than one person describe this scent's colour as pink; I think I will have to disagree.

To me, this scent invokes a feeling of the richest and deepest burgundy, the colour of wine and fruits consumed in the midst of a hedonistic Bacchanalia...ah, yes, a may still be a bit crazy! ;P

I'm not extremely familiar with dianthus, but I do love this blend. It has a characteristic blackberry bite to it that many people seem to either hate or love. I happen to love it, especially in this blend where it is really softened up by the honey and probably the dianthus. The french lavender is not strong or heady, but it's present enough to give this blend a cool, romantic, "purple" vibe to it. Of all the blackberry LE blends that I know of, this one is my favorite but Bitter Moon is not far behind.

Oh, mmm. I've had a skin chemistry shift recently and now this is just delicious. The lavender bitterness fades to the background and the blackberry and honey really shine. I have no idea what dianthus smells like so who knows if I'm smelling it or if it disappears entirely! I wish there were more blends with blackberry, I love it so.

In the bottle: Honeyed blackberry, herbal lavender, and fainter spicy floral dianthus. Sweet, fruity-herbal goodness.

Wet: Stronger, especially the blackberry and lavender notes. The blackberry is SO real, and sort of earthy and herbal as well as intensely tart-ripe and fruity. The lavender is playing very nicely - it's a sharp green note, but not astringent, and cuts through the honey and sweet fruit perfectly. Dianthus remains faint.

Dry: Dries rapidly, amping all the time - the blackberry and honey notes especially. The dianthus picks up a bit, a light but lively floral note, and the lavender recedes slightly. Wonderfully summery and evocative; I'm deep in a forest in late summer, staining my fingers with sweet-tart berry juice.

Summary: Tart yet juicy, almost earthy ripe blackberries and sweet, pure honey balanced by fresh, herbal lavender and a touch of bright, floral dianthus. Gorgeously blended, summery and feminine; joyful and fertile. Good throw, excellent lasting power.

I am ever so glad I swapped for a bottle of this unsniffed!

Oh my! This was an impulse buy that really paid off!

In the vial: blackberry and lavender with a hint of honey.

Wet on skin: French lavender and and blackberry. The honey emerges gradually. It's light and sweet like a summer dessert eaten in a sunny garden next to a lavender bush!

Dry on skin: the lavender fades and what remains is soft, honeyed blackberry - light and pretty. The honey isn't as cloying as in Hony Mone and Lady Una. Overall, this is very light and doesn't last long. Not sure about the honey, but it is pretty.

2nd review: this is simply beautiful! The lavender, blackberry and honey remain 3 distinct and very realistic notes, but dance around each other to produce the prettiest, most summery scent imaginable!

The label was so very PINK! that I hesitated slightly, fearing some sort of girly froufrou explosion...

Well. I got an explosion alright, but it is heavenly :P I can see how the Oblation could go horribly wrong for a lot of testers - there's that same juicy, tannic blackberry note from Agony of Heartache & Lady Una that can go cat's pee without much prodding... I'm in the fortunate few that can wear it happily, thank heavens, and combined with a beautiful, soft lavender & a bit of spicy dianthus (pinks, one of my favorite flowers), it is glorious... Fruity but puckery, with a nice herbal astringence & the barest trace of almost-carnation-spiciness. Then there's the honey. O! The honey! :D Clear & fragrant, like creamed honey spread on my arms, it sweetens & concentrates the blackberry... gah! I want to eat this! I want to craft a dessert that tastes as good as this smells! It's deep, deep, glossy purple, with a gorgeous dab of sparkling creamy gold...

I am in no way a pink, foody scent kind of girl - give me smoky resins & funky herbs... the Oblation was an enormous gamble that has paid off in lovely purple spades! I won't wear this often, if only because I'm finding it deliciously distracting & am having a hard time not licking my arms... :D

Edited by tartchef

It's Blackberry season around here and I find myself reaching for The Oblation again and again.

I got a decant of this last year, and it sat in my box unloved for awhile, because the Berry and Honey notes aren't supposed to work for me. The Oblation is the exception. It must be the lavender, one of my faves, that makes it all lovely.

This is whole blackberry vines, blackberries and blackberry tea, with lavender. Perfect.

Decant: lavender and blackberry

Wet on Me: Lavender, blackberry and the dianthus

Drying Down: more blackberry and lavender now…and stunning!

Dry: This is just blackberry lavender and that is perfect for me. Now another scent I’ve fallen hopelessly in love with and now must track down more! FTW!

At first, it had the almost salty, herbal sharpness of lavender. And on wet, it was lavender and blackberry in an even footing. As it dried I got a sweet blackberry blend (not too sweet, but thanks honey for the extra jolt of sugar here!) with floral hints.

It's a sweet, fruity/floral blend, perfect for spring/early summer. This is a perfect blackberry in the sun. The day is not so hot, it's just nice warm and airy.

This definitely screamed "Spring" to me.

I'm beginning to think I have a weakness for blackberry...

Wet: Sharp...pee? Ew. I'm scared to put it on. :(

First on: ICK! This was a bad idea.

Dry: Unchanged and I'm going to scrub it off now.

Wow--this is an out-and-out sexy, slightly spiced berry, made only more delicious (but not cloying) by the honey and more alluring by the dianthus and lavender. Like a really expensive top-of-the-line jam or cup of berry tea. I think the lavender lends it a sort of intoxicating "lover's swoon" type feeling which is very evident int the poem and highly alluring. It's one of those juicy, reddish-purplish "eat me alive" blends that is just incredibly gorgeous and sensual :wub2:

Edited by Invidiana

This starts off as an earthy, not-at-all-sweet floral-- I don't know my florals at all, but this has a bitterness to it that reminds me of geranium. Not one of my favorite smells ever.

As it dries, the floral bitterness fades and the blackberry and a touch of honey come to the forefront. The berry note is very sharp and strong and I'm not getting much lavender, if any. Most berry notes seem to turn into tart-yet-cloying artificial candy or Kool-Aid on me, and this unfortunately is no exception.

Love it love it love it :heart:

The honey and lavender shout out on my skin and it is gorgeous.

I have no words. I am in heaven.

Edited by Lilly

Pretty, dainty.

In bottle - blackberry and lavender, herbal...

wet - perfumey! floral, lavender, slightly fruity

drying - ah, honey warms this up and sweetens it. The blackberry deepens, lavender receeds a lot.

fully dry - soft honeyed blackberry with a hint of lavender to keep this from being all foodie. I think carnation is making this creamy. This is an airy scent, not heavy fruit.

VERY feminine! nice amount of throw.

I adore this blend. Lavender & blackberries drizzled in honey. The dianthus lends spice and together they all meld into this perfect fruity/herbal yet spicy sweet perfume that is perfect in every way. Not one note overwhelms the other. Stunning. :wub2:

just got this bottle, so its aged.

I get the french lavender and honey but I think that the blackberry's and carnations have taken a back seat with the age.

This doesn't morph on me when its dry. Its the same scent applied wet. Becoming a fast favorite of mine, I just got it yesterday and wore it out twice now!

Very nice long throw

5/5 for me!

I am getting what must be the dianthus, followed by the French lavender, and a bit of honey and blackberry in the background. Over time, the blackberry and honey gain strength, cozying up tot he dianthus, but never overtaking it completely. By the end of the day, it's a honeyed fruity floral scent on me. The lavender hasn't gone away, but it is the least prominent of these notes on my skin, sadly.

I'm glad I got to try this one, but I wish the lavender had increased in strength instead of the blackberry!