Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn (2006)

Fiery, primal, and precociously diabolical: red amber, Spanish moss, Indonesian patchouli, ambergris, red pepper, two cloves, and vanilla flower.

So today I seem to be revisiting bottles (of hubby's :D) that haven't been opened in a looong time.
I did not have high hopes because I remember this being to masculine, but what the heck, I have to shower anyways. LOL

Oh wow, I was wrong. On me this is straight up spicy dark vanilla with a touch of earthiness. It's gorgeous.
I am so happy we kept the bottle and I can't wait to see how it is on hubby. :P

This one was more floral at the beginning than I thought. It's a musky clovey vanilla, with amber, which is resinous and a bit powdery.

Interesting.

ETA: Okay, on a second try - on wet, this was more of an 'animalistic' musk overtone to the vanilla/clove smoke that was going on. In fact, it also had a floral tinge that I didn't like. But as it dried, the florals have burnt off and what I'm left with is a clove/vanilla musk that in certain whiffs does remind me to Voodoo Queen.

So... erm. Yeah. LOVE IT! :P

Edited by zankoku_zen

I tried this imp a few times, and each time after sniffing throughout the day, and thinking on it, reflecting, etc. The next day I'd forget entirely what the scent smelled like. For me, that means it wasn't very remarkable. Too many of BPAL's scents are incredible, unique, and unforgettable. So this will be traded.

However, on retrying, and cracking out notes... I realize the scent is a decent one, but just not very distinct. I tend to -adore- patchouli, but I had a hard time picking it out in this blend. It was spicey, of course, but not a very full or heady spice I prefer (like bengal). Often, I'd put this on to try again, then want to go out and feel not quite right, so I'd layer it with bengal and -adore- it. (Bengal would rule, with just the extra spice kick from Wild Men)

However, even though it was slightly spicy, it was a lot more mellow than I thought it would be. I always underestimate how mellow cloves and amber can smell. They have a sort of full-spice to it, but it wasn't very tangy. It's possible it was out of balance on my skin, but I was unable to find what may have gone wrong.

It wasn't horrible or anything, I think I just expected more bang. :/ oh well.

Wet: a lovely, mossy, spicy blend, with the vanilla and clove wafting up in the background. I really gravitate towards patchouli blends, because the fiancé likes patchouli, and I'm wild to try anything with clove in it (no pun intended :P ).

Dry, the pepper, cloves, and vanilla really smooth out nicely with the patchouli. This is a blend that I wore consistently when I first got it, then forgot about it, and forgot how much I liked it. I didn't realize I hadn't reviewed the Wild Men, and that's why I tried it again, and I'm glad!

This is a very mossy amber with a touch of spice on me. I remember slathering it on one day when I was a bit active and it turned to the most nastiest cat pee smell. There's something in some BPAL blends that do that when combined with my sweat. I gave up a lovely bottle or two because of it. I am determined to keep the Wild Men though. This is such a warm, cozy scent...a touch masculine, but I like it. I'll just wear it on cozt days.

The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn

Wet, in imp: This really, *really* reminds me of the Body Shop's Dewberry, only mixed with something creamy and slightly manly. um, yum.

Wet, on skin: Oh, this is lovely. I think it goes towards the masculine slightly more than the feminine, but anyone could wear it. It smells good. The amber is really, really working here, and the cloves are delicious (I hated the cloves in Clemence).

Dry, on skin: Yum, yum, yum. SEXY. I am going to slather this on my boyfriend. Creamy. He'd better like it!

In the vial: Ambergris, moss, amber, and something tingly, either cloves or pepper.

Wet: Sharp at first, and mossy; then warmer from the amber, with a breath of vanilla. Then sharp again, and a little sour.

Twenty minutes: Spicy! Clove and something else, probably the pepper, with a tinge of vanilla. Then I notice the moss (not like oakmoss, it's greener and less bitter), all over a slightly sweet warm base. This is kind of different from most of the others.

One and a half hours: Warm mossy resinous base, slightly sweet, with a really pleasant warm tingly top note of spices. I'm kind of captivated by this one, although I don't think I'd have a use for it. It seems a good "concept" kind of scent, though, and it definitely reads as heat.

Four hours: Sour, maybe the moss, with some resin. Still some spicy top notes, but this didn't work out as well on me as I had hoped.

Still, it's a brilliant concept.

I CANNOT understand why this scent isn't getting worshipful praise.

okay. I've been holding off reviewing this one for a while cause I never feel like I can do a scent justice with my disorganized crap reviews (and I only bother writing a review if a scent REALLY moves me, and that goes for either end of the spectrum, including if I am utterly revolted by it).

suffice it to say I'm pretty sure this is my favorite bpal EVER. this is a huge compliment especially because out of probably 500 scents, I only like/am able to wear (the two seldom overlap!) about 10-12 of them. it actually received an unsolicited compliment from one of my best friends who caught a whiff of it in the car when I opened the window to spit outside or something ("ooh, what is that? wow, that's a perfect 10!" and he's normally pretty "eh") and the lad gives it a high 9, and he's as discerning as I am. read: we're all elitist pricks. lol.

this is just the most fantastic scent... it's a little incensey without being annoying-wannabe-hippie headshop loiterer (you're almost half a century too late, go away), spicy without being spice cabinet, sweet without being cloying, masculine in a unisex way (perfect for a RUGGED TOMBOY like me, but it would be incredibly nice on a man... something about restrained animalistic tendencies, I guess?) my nose picks up mostly patchouli in the bottle, with a bit of clove, but on my skin it just melts into a masculine clove vanilla, almost cookieish without being at all foody. and WOW that is some AMAZING patchouli - that's like, the ideal patchouli that I NEVER find in bpal. mmmmmmmmmmmm... and other bpal almost had me convinced that I did not in fact like patchouli, despite happy experiences with it beforehand.

...oh. oh NOW I've done it. okay, I'll sum it up thus:

luscious penis-shaped spice cookies, made with dirt.

'nuff said.

When I first put this on I actually used the term "cacophony of scent", which garnered some pretty strange looks from the man, but it was the only thing I can think of to describe Wild Men. Something about this blend and my skin makes it almost impossible to differentiate the notes here. It's beautiful though. Further into the drydown the cloves become apparent, as do the amber and moss. The patchouli is really nice here as well, adding a really wonderful depth and earthy vibe. I really like this one. :P

Gorgeous cinnamon, amber, and light ambergis...the ambergis keeps switching from light and wonderful to cat pee! :eek: :ack: This is lovely. but unfortunately not for me.

Edited by Dark Alice

Eeeek! :D Love, love, love!! This is harsh and agressive in a delightful, mischievous way. Fiery without the kitchen pantry smell I usually get from cloves. The pepper comes out quite a bit on me and the pathcouli is down and dirty just the way I like it :yum: Lasts on my skin forever, too! A++++

I was expecting this to be a hot and spicy scent, but it doesn't come across that way at all on my skin. At first it is somewhat peppery, but it very quickly becomes a powdery somewhat-floral scent. Not what I was hoping for, and not something that really works on me..

Bottle: This perfume definitely has red components in it... because whoo boy is that liquid RED! Like, bright scarlet red. At first sniff this is all clove on me, that almost-harshy smoky clove smell like burning clove cigarettes, and rising right behind it is salty moss, musky ambergris and woody patchouli and this very deep, almost buried, completely incredible vanilla flower, that's sweetly vanilla and exotic orchid all at once. Just the mere sniff of this makes some very, um, intimate parts of me perk up and take notice. It is spicy, sweet, almost a tiny bit sweaty, and unabashedly, unashamedly sexual. Seriously, I want to hump a doorknob... or my desk... or my boyfriend... Apart from the sex appeal, it also smells damned amazing.

Wet: At first this is quite mossy, with the clove and ambergris close runners-up. Then, after a minute, it settles and the amber comes up more, fiery golden and hot. Pepper and patchouli and clove combine to make this divine spice-wood smell, something almost like mahogany and almost like cinnamon but not quite like either, and way down there as a wonderful, exotic, but welcoming, base is the vanilla flower. This is rough, animalistic sex, the post-coital clove cigarette, and the almost proprietary, yet still affectionate, slap on the bottom afterward.... yet still, amazingly, it remains totally gender-neutral. This is, without a doubt, one of the sexiest, most incredibly searingly HAWT blends that Beth has ever graced our noses with. And yet... it's subtle, too, not so in-your-face as to be a nose-hair scorcher, just enough to get noticed. I want to bathe in it. I want to roll it. I want a giant penis-shaped bottle so I can construct an altar for it and worship it daily.

Dry: This, as it dries, dies back on the fire just a little to let the more earthy elements come up-- moss and ambergris and patchouli-- and relaxes just slightly... yet retains that drop-dead gorgeous sexy best-natural-musk-ever kind of feel. It's spicy and earthy and just the tiniest, loveliest bit sweet, and I want massive vats of this constructed just for me. My ultimate verdict is that EVERYONE MUST TRY THIS IMMEDIATELY, if you have ever liked a spice blend ever even in the SLIGHTEST than this is for you, and make sure you have your significant other handy and that they are not holding anything delicate because you are going to effing knock them down and hump them silly when you smell it.

Verdict: :evol: :evol: :twisted: :evol: :evol:

So, yesterday I tested the Wanderlust Jezirat Al Tennyn. It seemed only logical that I should test the oil based on its inhabitants today, since my wonderful summer Switch Witch sent me a decant earlier this week!

In the imp: Spicy! A little sweet, too, but the pepper and the cloves are the main players, and they definitely give a sense of heat.

Wet on skin: The patchouli is coming out now as an earthy backdrop, and the pepper isn't quite as punch-you-in-the-face as it was in the imp. There's still plenty of clove, and I think the sweetness that I'm getting is probably related to the vanilla flower.

Drydown: Freshly dry is pretty much the same as wet: a foreground of clove and pepper with a backdrop of patchouli and a little bit of indistinct sweetness. I think there might be some amber coming into the picture now, but I'm not sure. That's a note that shows up later and lasts longer on me. By one hour in, the pepper is barely evident and the cloves have calmed down further. The patchouli is still there, and now the amber and moss are more evident. It's an interesting balance between hot and earthy scents right now, though not in a volcano-geological way.

Five hours later: It's all amber and moss now. While this scent initially registered as red, it has definitely jaunted across the color wheel into green territory by this point.

End of the day: Gone.

Overall: I don't think I've ever had a scent do quite as much of a 180 in terms of "temperature" and color on me as happened with the Wild Men. Really quite surprising! I like both moss and amber, but the thing that made this really awesome and true to inspiration were the hotter notes that were present in the first hour or two of wear. The combination of those with the earthier notes smelled so very great, and I wish that stage had lasted longer. I'll hold onto this decant, but the crazy morphiness implies, at least for the time being, that an upgrade is not necessary.

Inside the imp, patchouli and clove.

Wet on the skin, patchouli note starts out strong. Cloves and red peppers emerge a minute or two after application.

Dries down to mainly patchouli, cloves, and almost a cinnamon scent.

When I was young, I used to stay over at my aunt's house sometimes while my parents worked. My aunt had traveled the world and had all sorts of interesting treasures at her house. She had a little perfume coffret and I can't recall what scents were in it at all, but one of them reminds me incredibly of The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn. As soon as I put it on, it was an immediate olfactory memory of sitting in my aunt's house and smelling her perfumes.

Sadly, this scent fades fairly rapidly on me, but I do really enjoy it while it's fresh and potent.

I tested this without looking at the notes, and this is yet another BPAL that makes me feel like an idiot once I find out what's actually in it! :blush:

I thought it smelled like cinnamon, with a powdery dry floral like narcissus. Then I thought it smelled like the spices in Snake Oil, just without the creamy, sweet vanilla.

I guess the powder is from the amber notes (BPAL's ambers often go powdery on me), and I'm sure the red amber is one of the notes responsible for my Snake Oil comparison. The spiciness that I mistook for cinnamon must be the combination of the cloves, pepper, and patchouli. The vanilla flower is the floral note (not vanilla like sweet baking vanilla, it's a faint floral note with the barest whisper of sweetness). I can differentiate the moss now that I know it's there, but it's not strong enough to dominate (thankfully, as it's not one of the best notes on me).

I'm surprised this hasn't gained a cult following. It's awesome!! Diamond in the rough. A surprise hit that I never would have tried if I hadn't happened upon a decant!

4.6 out of 5

Bottle aged since 09/2007

Wet: Warm, smoky cloves.

Drydown: As it dries, Wild Men gets a bit fiery, though not in the cinnamon way. Patchouli gives it a bit of a dirty romp feel without tending to the hippy-ish that some patchouli blends have.

Dry: Dirty, sexy romp. Still has a warm feel, though not the flames that I was getting during the drydown.

Overall: The only thing missing is leather here. That would make this even more amazing. Then again, I think everything could use more leather. Hehe.

I can't believe I never reviewed this one. How is this possible??

I received a decant of this scent around a year and a half ago when I was just starting to get really involved in BPAL. When I first smelled it, I didn't really think anything of it. It was spicy, but sort of meh.

Well, that all changed when I swiped some on the SO. On him it is pure sexy goodness. A deep spice with a hint of sweetness. I have no idea what it is about this scent, but it is truely amazing.

I didn't start wearing this myself until last Christmas. The SO and I go visit our separate families for Christmas, so I put a bit of Wild Men on my skin to comfort me and remind me of him. On me, this scent doesn't turn quite as sweet as it does on him. I definitely get more of the spice which isn't a bad thing.

In all, this will probably always be one of my top favorites. I will always have to keep two bottles around. One for the SO and one for me!

:love!:

First sniff: Dark, earthy, woody and maybe a little bit nutty. The vanilla sneaks into the afterscent just before the inhale fades.

Wearing: Hello, Spanish moss! My, you’re looking green today. Also, PATCHOULIPATCHOULIPATCHOULI.

The bottle I got is vintage 08, and this seems like the kind of blend that has probably benefited from aging.

It's flaunting a little more patchouli than I am usually okay with, but it works in the context of this scent. It's a deep, dirty, rich scent, but not overly serious. The Wild Men is pretty much sweet, smoky, spiced sex in a bottle. Yum. Very complex and faceted. It leans toward masculine, but that's okay.

Reminds me of The Hell-Gate of Ireland a bit... I think it's the musky clove coppery vibe.

In the imp this is a deep and firey feral scent, with a slight dirty greeness. It's a warm scent overall though...

Wet on my skin this turns to soap!? Spicy soap. It's just a complete headache. I thought I was on to a new winner at first sniff!

Drying down this is musky freshly soaped warm skin with a slight kick of cinnamon. The clove is overpowering and I kinda want to wash this off... now. It's really not my thing :(

Edited by TulaMontage

Oh... this scent... *fans self*... WOW.

I bought this scent on impulse while reading through the Carnivale Diabolique section for the billionth time more for entertainment than shopping. I had previously not given this scent much consideration, but for some reason during that reading, I knew I had to try it. I NEEDED THIS SCENT.

The package arrived Thursday evening, I wore it Friday, and all I can say is DAMN Beth has 1) seriously outdone herself and 2) must have had "verbranden needs a sexy scent YESTERDAY" in mind when making this.

It definitely has a masculine edge and would be sexy as hell on a dude, but women can definitely rock it too. Sniffing it in the bottle, it's pure deception. "Don't mind me," it says. "I'm just a light herbal scent. Smell how cool I am? What harm could I possibly be?" Those shivers down your spine when you smell it in bottle? Hint, they're not because this scent is a cold one.

On my skin, it went from cool herbs to a slick, hot spice. It abandons all pretense here. It no longer needs them. It has you. "You tricked me, Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn!" You might exclaim. "You're not really cool moss at all! You're...you're... pepper! And patchouli! YOU'RE CLOVE!" you cry out.

It just smiles. "I am not entirely moss, but moss is a part of me. I told no lies." It says calmly, still smiling. "Would you like to find out what else I am?"

Of course you do. You can't help it.

Mossy rocks and fiery lips! Amazing. This is a winner in so many ways. For me, red pepper dominates, followed by clove, moss, amber and vanilla. This is an amber scent where I really enjoy the powdery sweet amber thing on me (I like amber on my lady but on me it often seems too much like powdery women's deodorant; since I'm so lazy as to wear women's deodorant if it's the stick most handy, I know...) I like the amber here because it is balanced by this amazing red pepper note. I've never smelled anything like it. The clove comes in and gives the red pepper a spicy edge, but does not remind me of Christmas at all, which clove usually does. The red pepper and moss make this smell like a lava rock or or a freshly plucked dragon's scale. Or the most refined hot sauce you've ever smelled? Something dangerous about this one. It would make a very unique signature scent and turn heads, I think.

Wild Men is just plain unusual in the best of ways. Spicy without being incensey or foodie, it packs a real kick. But it's lightly sweet and comforting and mossy as well. I dunno if this is my favorite BPAL ever, I don't think it is. But it impresses me more than any other - taking elements I don't usually like and making an astounding concoction that is more than the sum of its parts.

In the bottle: Patchouli, amber, possibly the ambergris?

Immediately after application: Patch, amber, clove, pepper, a touch of moss. *huff* OM NOM NOM I hope this one warms up nicely as it smells AWESOME.

Warming up: Spicy and yummy.

Fading: A bit of vanilla adds to the spices and patch.

Faded: Average throw, average wear.

Overall: Yum. Bottle.

Rating: 4/5.