Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn (2006)

Fiery, primal, and precociously diabolical: red amber, Spanish moss, Indonesian patchouli, ambergris, red pepper, two cloves, and vanilla flower.

in the imp this smells very much like amber, clove and musk with a slight earthiness which i think is the moss. the vanilla rounds out the scent a bit. this is a touch on the masculine-musky side for me, but i still like something about it. it is very animalistic. so much so, that i cant believe there isn't some sort of musk in it.

The combination of patchouli, pepper, and cloves is spicy and lush, but with the vanilla and amber it smells like flat Coca-Cola. This is doing a damn fine imitation of musk, for something with no musk in it.

This is definitely sexual, wildly sexual. The Coke smell dies off in favor of a wickedly-fanged and sizzlingly spicy mix of patchouli and pepper edged with moss.

It dries to the most delectable, roughhousing blend of spice and earth, with the faintest hint of meanness. I really can't praise this one enough. A lot of BPAL blends do the spicy patchouli thing, but this one does it better than any of the others.

The description may mention both men and women, but on me at least, this scent is very much wild men -- it's got that unmistable "I am a men's scent!" vibe to it. Quite a nice men's scent, mind you -- spicy and warm and a little dark, very appealling -- but decidedly masculine to my nose.

It almost comes close to being something I'd like to wear myself -- I'm a big fan of spicy scents, and amber and patchouli are usually fine on me. And I know I've worn some scents with amerbgris without problems, though that one does get used in a fair number of men's scents. Maybe it's the Spanish moss that gives it the men's-cologne feel? or the combination of that and the amergris? Not sure.

Anwyay -- it's a fine scent, and very evocative of what it's supposed to be. Hot, spicy, a little dark, a little wild. And it would smell great... on a guy. Or maybe a butch woman. But not so much on me.

Grade: B-

This is really surprisingly good on me. I did a little test swipe- I have to admit that I had it in my head that I was getting Wulric, not Wild Men, and I don't know how my brain got scrambled like that, but there it is. When I realized my mistake, I checked the notes and realized that this scent was not for me.

It's very, very masculine, so I don't think I will keep it, but the patchouli is actually gorgeous, and I don't know if it's because of the clove and peppers, but I really love that aspect of the blend. This is really striking. I like it quite a lot more than I figured I would, based on notes alone!

In the vial: Patchoili, with spices.

On the skin: Yeah lots of red amber and patchouli. It's really spicy and burns my nose when I sniff it. Very interesting, since the heat is tempered by the vanilla. Most intrieguing! I really like this one, that's a surprise! Unfortunately, on the dry down it started to burn the heck out of my skin, so it's going to the swap pile.

Edited by bat

Off the wand, or fresh on my wrist, this is a very full scent -- it’s sharp and spicy in the middle, with a herbal haze over it and a surprisingly sweet note on top. Despite the name, I don’t find it ragingly masculine; still, it’s certainly not feminine.

As the scent settles, the sweetness fades. This scent doesn’t say “male” to me, but I think I would find it sexy on a man in a way that I wouldn’t on a woman. The clove and pepper are still dominating the scent fiercely. I believe that’s the moss I’m detecting as the herbal aspect; it’s become a lower support instead of a haziness around the main scent. I can’t find the patchouli, but I think it’s merged with the cloves; at least, I can’t pick it out explicitly.

Something about this reminds me of a different version of Priala. It isn’t fair, because the two don’t share anything in their note lists, but as this fades, it suggests a sharper, more prickly, less impressive Priala to me. It must be something about the way the clove reacts on my skin.

Over time, this settles down to a buzzing note on my wrist. It has definite endurance. I just wish it had more of its own identity to me.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about this one. It's a little too hot for me personally. Plus it goes powdery on me. Hot powder. I don't think this one will work for me. I like the patchouli and moss in it, but they're buried down too far under the other notes.

Wet: Moss, patchouli, amber. A little wary at this point, because the moss is quite strong.

First on: As soon as it's on my skin, the moss is gone; the cloves, ambergris and pepper amp up. Mmm!

Dry: I smell the smallest hint of vanilla now. Amber's gone a bit powdery, but not in a bad way. This is so gorgeous.

In the bottle: woody aquatics wit a spicey undertone. Ohh, this is very promising.

Wet: woody aquatic with spice lingering underneath.

Dry down: woody aquatic and the cassia comes out to play and stops hiding. This is like a masculine version of my beloved Priala. The aquatic (they are on an island after all) really smooths this out and makes it more understated than Priala.

30 minutes: lovely aquatic spicey woods, very well blended and smooth. Priala likes to hit you on the nose, this is more of a "get closer" kind of scent.

Conclusion: Wild Men is the brother to Priala. I love them both. This is definitely horde worthy and I will be getting extra bottles of this before it goes poof.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

Red, peppery, wild. Swarthy. Strong. This is chaotic and fiery and very masculine. The patchouli wears too strong on me, just as I was afraid it would. :P

Wet this is a little too green for me, we’ll see how it settles down. Is it the moss making it like so? As it begins to dry, I get the amber coming through. It’s very different to how amber normally is in BPAL blends. I think what is making this earthy is the patchouli, which my skin usually amps. Overall, I think this is a little too green and manly for me, as previously thought. Oops, perhaps I was wrong – half an hour it softens and becomes more stereotypically amberish. Nice to have tried but I shall not be holding onto the imp.

Words cannot describe how much I love this scent.I was a little nervous with all the bold notes listed but it works amazingly for me.Yes-it is on the (very) masculine side but I love it all the same.It starts off with a strong clear patchouli, but as it sits the amber and clove make their appearances to temper the patch somewhat.If you love Lush's Tramp shower gel I think this would be right up your alley as the patchouli is similar in both.It has now dried to a warm, sweet/spicy scent and I wish I had more than one bottle as this is quickly becoming a fav!!! :P

Edited by catwoman30

In the imp, this is all patchouli and cloves.

Wet, this is an "mmm" scent; it's cloves, pepper, and patchouli.

Once dry, a fiery, spicy blend of clove and patchouli. It's good, but I won't need to get more.

IMHO this is the best of the carnival. It is spicy, sexy warm earthy and yet also green. The notes combine beautifully. It is similar to lupercai but no beeswax and similar to two monsters but with a more resinous base vs the woody base of two monsters. It is sin more elegantly prepared to greet the world or the caterpillar grown up and walking in a museum instead of listening the grateful dead.

It reminds me of some of the more elegant chypre type scents with a big grounding of warmth.

I'm expecting to get a back-up bottle before this run of the carnival is gone.

On my skin, it's peppery-sweet, turning rapidly to a kind of peppery that's not cool, exactly, but refreshing. Not quite floral... I think it's the Spanish moss and patchouli along with the spice of pepper and clove.

10 min: Primarily pepper and Spanish moss, with hints of vanilla and clove. This is turning out really well.

35 min: Spanish moss and vanilla with red pepper. It's refreshing and sweet and spicy all at once. I may need to pick some up.

Looking back on this review, I feel I have not properly emphasized exactly how good the Spanish moss and vanilla combination is. It's warm and energetic and cosy, and I'm going to go looking for other things that have that combination purely on the strength of this oil.

1 hr 20: Mostly the moss and vanilla; the pepper's faded back a bit, and the smell as a whole has gotten fainter. Still, I definitely want to start picking up more of this.

2:45 quite faint, mostly vanilla. Still pleasant, though I wish the other notes had lasted longer.

5 hours: vanilla still present, unsurprisingly.

Love and coffee,

Frances

Shameful admission: I still haven't tried Snake Oil. I know, I know... but I fear sticky-sweet vanilla! Anyway, The Wild Men are everything I'm afraid Snake Oil won't be on me -- lovely spicy, sexy vanilla.

In the decant clove and pepper are the dominant notes. On my skin the vanilla comes out strongly, and continues to amp as the scent dries down and fades. The patchouli stays pretty far in the background; mostly I'm getting clove-y, slightly amber-y vanilla. Three hours in, the vanilla is still going strong.

I can see how some people might find this masculine, but on me the vanilla is prominent enough that I don't think anyone would peg me as wearing men's cologne. I'm thinking bottle of this one (unless my husband strongly objects to it when we get home tonight!). :P

At first this smelt very much like a traditional mens cologne. However as it dried it became something else...

The more it dried the more I could pick out individual notes. At first it was the pepper, with a little clove underneath.

Then 10 minutes later the clove is being amped fiercely on my skin, and I can detect a touch of pepper and patchouli in the background. Phew - after 30 mins I can smell a bit of amber coming through.

I didn't like this one wet, and had been putting off trying the bottle for ages, however I'm glad I did as the dry down is quite nice, and definately something I'd wear, although it would be suited to a cooler day.

The warm red amber and ambergris are amazing combined with the spicy patchouli and clove, and the vanilla flower adds sweetness. The Spanish moss adds earthiness and depth. I was worried about the clove being too strong, but it’s very subtle and there’s nothing “baking spices” about this blend. It’s like a gorgeous, complex, incense. Exotic and sexy, but warm and comforting at the same time.

In bottle: Not promising, dry and chemical, with a clove/vanilla overlay. Wet: The patchouli, ambergris, and amber get stonger, but are still peculiar with the other elements. It does improve as it settles. Dry; The moss comes out and mingles with the foody elements and the darker ones to create something interesting if a touch unsettling. The effect is strongly insensey-clovey. It smells like a lot of the little west coast shps catering to Buddhist and Wiccan clientele. It’s pleasant enough, though I’m not convinced it’s me.

First Impression: A very sharp resin.

Dries down to: Pied de Pepper wannabe until the moss and patchouli start calling for attention.

Additional Comments: This is a "no-go" for me. I think it's the moss creating the problems here. Most of the time I like blends with patchouli in them but it all depends on the other notes and this blend is just bad on me.

Lasted: All day.

Rating: 1 out of 5.

So this 'should' be a fantastic scent on me....not sure about it yet. In the imp, it was sort of musky and medicinal. Stayed that way at first on my skin. As it's drying, I think I'm getting mostly moss and patchouli, and something almost smelling like Carmex. It's sort of waxy and vapory, if that makes sense. I do get a tiny hint of vanilla flower, but none of the spiceyness I wanted yet.

It's really ok if I don't love this, because I have so many other blends to choose from. But it is odd that I usually amp cloves and amber, and I'm not getting any of either yet. It is a very 'wild' smelling scent, but the notes I really want to smell don't seem to be there.

I will try it again at some later date to make a final determination.

This scent is everything I wanted and MORE. In the decant I kept getting different, intriguing hints - spicy here, dark and smooth there, at one point I caught a hint of something that almost smelled like a cologne I associate with a man I know.

I was DYING to try it, and it is delicious and spicy and dark on me. I never would have thought I could carry off clove or pepper, but I can; the pachouli isn't overwhelming, and I suspect the lighter note I get is the vanilla flower, which doesn't seem terribly obvious on me in the least, which is fine.

But it's definitely got a masculine feel to it, so I tried it on my fiance.

I'm getting two bottles of this. It's darker, smokier, and much more masculine on him, but definitely a similar scent. It smells fantastic on both of us.

(And if I had any reservations about wearing a scent that seems "masculine" . . . let's just say that multiple positive reactions have completely removed them.)

EDIT: Holy lasting power - it stays on me for quite a few hours, easily four or five before fading, and it stayed on my fiance for over ten!

Edited by Eyeska

This scent hasn't gotten anywhere near the amount of love I think it deserves . I am horrible at trying to pick out certain things with my nose however . So , I'll simply say that if you read the list of ingredients , then imagine that it smells like ALL of them quite evenly & in a most wonderful way , you'll come awful close to how the Wildmen actually smell . It's just this awesome combo of warm leathery scents , mixed with spices & patchouli with no one scent overwhelming the others . And I know I'll be buying more before the carnival ships out on us .

In imp: sandalwood, even though it's not listed. Probably a mixture of the amber, moss and patchouli.

Wet on skin: Nothing. Like, it smells like my own natural skin.

Dry on skin: The patchouli is coming up, but sadly, that's the only note.

I love the Lab, but I'm not paying $20 to smell like me. I can do that for free! :P :D

When I first put on the Wild Men I was dismayed... it was so good! It was ruining my bottle budget for the month! I'm mostly getting clove with the rest of the bottles forming coherent base and only occasionally popping their heads up to say hello.

But once it dries something in this blend falls flat on my skin. I want to point fingers at the ambergris and moss, but I'm not sure. In any case it just becomes dull and slightly soapy on me. I'd put King Cobra on my other wrist to compare (no, they're not really similar, but Wild Men wet is the sort of perfume I'd wear on similar occasions as King Cobra. I only need one, and I wanted to see which one I liked more) and it just gets better as it dries. My wallet, at least, is breathing a sigh of relief.