Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

In the bottle: Lime candy? flowers, and something a little spicy.

On: More floral, sort of sweet and flowery. A little nip of something spicy, maybe one of the herbs?

No a bottle for me, I don't think, but I'll wear it and enjoy:D

Edited because the site spazzed and doubled my post :P Edited by Shollin

This is one of the scents that Miss Apple gifted me with.

In the vial, the unicorn smells like sweet sugared flowers. I smell a hint of orange citrus. The Unicorn is a pure white, sweet smell. This is a wonderful smell, very maidenly and virginal, almost mythically so. I can see giving it to a little seven year old girl in a pretty dress and watching her play with her dolls; it's so mild and sweet that even slathered I'm not overpowering.

As it dries, I catch hints of something green, as if the unicorn cantered through a stand of herbs in the forest of forever. This is a smell for pretty pretty princesses.

I accidentally messed up the plastic on the top of the imp as I opened it, so I was unable to close the imp back up and get any sort of seal, so I brushed some oil against the lightbulbs, and soaked two cotton balls with the stuff. One cotton ball I put in the bathroom, and one cotton ball I put next to my computer. I'm sad, because the Unicorn is a lovely, lovely scent, and I'm sure I would have reached for it often, but now I won't get to.

Wearing The Unicorn, I feel like a little girl dressed up in her flower girl outfit and ready to scatter silk petals on the ground for the bride; I feel that precious and young and freshly washed.

It faded fast on me- only an hour after application it's very faint and powdery on my skin, however it's stuck to the cotton ball like glue.

This is very pretty and feminine. I smell flowers, but they don't turn soapy or powdery, and there's a hint of spice and sweetness too. It's not an herbal smell to me, but it is very fresh. The throw is pretty light.

This would be wonderful for spring or summer. I may need a bottle, and I'll definitely hang onto my imp!

imp: aquatic floral

wet: acidic (wha?)

dry: watery, white flowers

Pretty, but not really my favorite type of floral or aquatic, and it's a bit flat and fades very quickly on me. Does not go soapy or powdery on me though - that's a plus.

In the imp this reminds me of those blue gumballs that I used to get when I was a kid. On my skin it blooms into a wispy white floral, but it smells kind of uninteresting, and nondescript. Five minutes later it is completely gone. I wanted to love the unicorn but oh well, cant love every BPAL blend.

Imp: I smell some floral, but mostly a very sweet fragrance, a bit like Pez.

On arm (10 minutes): Grape pez interspersed with a just-defineable touch of linden. The thing with linden is that it's so darned sweet....I'm not getting balance here yet but the grape pez is cracking me up! On my left arm it's much more grapey, on my right arm it's more sweet linden with light grape. I don't know where the grape is coming from, but there it is. I'm thinking it's because I actually apply the scent to my left arm and then rub my left arm on my right....so the right's scent is a little more subtle and is perhaps closer to dry down stage....

Dry: 30 min: The grape mellowed but it's still there. There's no grape note in here, though....I really can't tell where it's coming from. There's a little linden and florals and though it's still sweet it's pretty and comforting.

Probably not FBW for me but I definitely will use my imp!

I have a bottle of The Unicorn, and it's one of the scents I pack whenever I'm going to visit my family or my in-laws.

It's a clean, white, crisp scent that I am absolutely sure will be offensive to no one. It's pretty, feminine, and sweet, and I could be wrong but I think it's one of the few BPAL oils that contains linden blossom. It's the linden blossom and very soft herbs in this that make it smell different from the other white floral perfumes I have. There's an extremely alluring soft creaminess to this that my other white florals don't seem to have.

This one is definitely a favorite of mine -- it's kind of my standard "being around family" scent.

I ordered the imp for my sister to try, because she prefers light, soft scents, and this sounded perfect.

It is perfect in fact. Very white, and pure, almost sparkling. You can definately make the connection from the scent to the mental imagery of a unicorn.

It is a clean floral that luckily doesn't cross the soap line.

I so wanted to love this because I love unicorns. But ... it is just not nice on me.

There is a nice, fresh wet floral which I really enjoy, I can even identify the linden blossom which I like - but over this there is a harsh aand a little bit woody scent which overpowers the nice floral for over 4 hours. After that it starts to vanish - but it takes too long for me to be able to fall in love with this scent. I guess the herbs are spoiling this one for me. :P

I ponder if it has to do something with aging ... I know I tried this one already and can't remember being so against it - and that was the same imp but about 10 or 11 months ago.

The Unicorn is sparkly, white and delicate. It would suit the virgin who can touch the unicorn, while wearing a long white shimmering dress (it's not a muddy evening, so she doesn't get it dirty).

The unicorn himself would probably be a little more musky (not to mention more powerful, with all the rippling equine muscles he must have).

In short, this is a beautiful scent, innocent and youthful and none too offensive, yet, somehow, elegant. This doesn't have the mischevious giggle that Fae has.

I could have sworn I'd reviewed this the first time I wore it, but unless I'm hallucinating, I can't see my review, so maybe I didn't get around to it. I pulled it out and wore it again because it was sitting in the "like but not sure if I want a bottle of it" row in my ammo box (a somewhat more difficult to find item in Canada than the US), and I couldn't remember what it smelled like, other than I liked it.

This time, however, I can't remember what I liked about it. It starts off vaguely floral with maybe a tiny bit of amber, not what would normally be my thing but with this, the floral's so light as to be inoffensive, and there's not enough amber or whatever's there that isn't the floral to give me a headache, but I couldn't identify it either. Then, after about an hour or two, it turns to...

Enraged Unicorn Musk!

Seriously, I can't find a trace of anything other than light musk. I know the "light" and "enraged" may seem to contradict each other, but I can't imagine a unicorn, no matter how enraged, giving off anything but a very delicate musk, and I wouldn't think that they normally smell musky at all, so... I'm not a musk person, so I'll have to try this again when I'm not ovulating, to see what it was about it that I liked and edit this review.

I've been curious about this scent from the beginning (I love unicorns!) and the Lab read my mind and gifted me with a frimp in my last order. This is what it says, white floral notes and sweet green notes blended perfectly together. This is something I prefer when its fresh...aged Unicorn smells like bug repellent spray (or unicorn repellent perhaps?)

Edited by TheIceMaiden

A very light, clean, delicate floral. VERY light. Almost no throw, and it fades quickly. But it's very pretty while it's there.

The Unicorn

In the imp: A faint, whispy scent, sweet and vaguely aquatic.

Wet on skin: sweet, but not too sweet and wakes me up without being over-powering. Puts me in a pensive mood without the broodiness.

dry-down: A very dual scent. Too forresty to be aquatic, but too aquatic to be forresty, I'm getting some light florals, but also the herb scents, too. It goes from gold to green to blue and back again as far as the color of the smell goes. Hubby says it smells sparkly. I agree. Very happy with the scent, though I don't know if I'll be buying a big bottle. Can't tell if it's the weather or not but it seems to be irritating my allergies (it's probably just the season).

A soft, fresh feminine floral with a hint of fruity vanilla. This is not a very me scent, but it is very pretty.

I purchased a bottle of The Unicorn for my daughter and I am visiting her now. She went to put some in her scent locket and the bottle tipped and spilled half the bottle! I ran to help her try to save some and that was my first try of Unicorn. I was pleasantly delighted to try it even under the drastic circumstances!

Unicorn is a light floral with a touch of herbs and a pinch of gorgeous musk. I have been looking for a summer scent and this may just be it! :P

The Unicorn is very unexpected for me. It's so light, delicate and pure. The throw isn't strong, but it's enough that my nose is teased by this diaphanous perfume.

I only get linden blossoms from The Unicorn, honestly. It takes me back to my backyard when I was a teenager. Those were bittersweet times. All I can do is sigh happily and sniff my wrist.

this is very light and refreshing. very wet, not oceany aquatic but like a cool pond in a forest surrounded by little flowers. it's pleasant, but not something i'd wear.

In the imp: This is what people mean when they talk about a juicy floral. I assume this is the influence of the linden, as most "white flowers" are more sharp, at least to my nose.

Wet: A nearly fruity floral, with just a trace of herbs behind it.

Drydown and wear: This reminds me so much of Dirty--it's a slightly more floral, more "upbeat" version. The white florals do come out as it dries down, making it more of a traditional floral perfume, but it remains very light and pretty. I'm surprisingly fond of this.

putting this on i can pick up the delicate light florals immediately...and the herbs follow pretty closely in time.

The Unicorn is very pretty. I was tentative about this scent because I wanted to like it sooo much. my favorite animal growing up was the unicorn and I still have a mural depicting one in my apartment. it's very strong up close but the scent projected as it wafts is very lovely. the herbs and sweet light florals make this innocent and sweet but fresh as well.

it reminds me of this story I read involving a "Unicorn Pool" where it's a pool in the middle of the forest in a tiny clearing that has healing properties. it has that fresh clean quality of a pretty pool surrounded by the delicate herbs and florals that would surround such a pool. scents that are clean, sweet, herbal, and comforting.

i could see this aging really pretty with those herbs coming out more as it does age. it is definitely a luminous, wispy, elusive, and free unicorn staring at you in a small clearing with a pool illuminated by moonlight. there is something very magical about this. :P

Rating: 3.5/5

Throw: Low

Edited by Lunaratu

Soft and airy, reminiscent of spring. I love that I can pick out the linden. Beautiful. Refreshing.

In The Vial: Sweet, clear, cool -- water, with flowers floating in it. Pale white blossoms.

On Wet: Sweet, cool, wet -- again, pools of flowers. Night time. Virgin crisp. But -- there's notthing that really stands out about it. It's actually a little bland. The sweetness is -- just that. Very plain, nothing very stand out about it.

Drydown: It dries to nothing. Nothing at all.

Will be going to swaps.

I was so excited about the linden factor, that I went straight for a 5ml. I have to say, this is an extremely well blended scent! You can pick out individual notes if you stand there and inhale your arm, but the combination does really well in presenting itself as one unified fragrance.

A very calming scent, to me at least. I can feel that image of the shady pool beside the green meadow. I thought I got a tiny whiff of half of what linden blossoms smell like at one point, but not the super- lindeny goodness I was craving. *sigh*

in the bottle: sweet bubble bath, with an undertone of freshness.

wet: bubble bath gives way to florals, and warm herbal tones.

drying: the tiniest woodsy-ness comes out and melds with the florals and herbs.

dry(after three hours: yes, I can still smell it): It's barely a whisper on my wrist anymore, but every now and then, I'll catch a little breeze of scent. Elusive, just like a unicorn.

Aquatic, warm herbal, light floral; innocent. This scent doesn't disappear on me so much as just blend with my consciousness. Wearing it is very comforting, so much so that I forget I'm wearing it until I catch a hint of it.

I recommend it if you are looking for a light floral-- perhaps for a warm day-- that's not too attention drawing.

I got this as a frimp, which was nice...

sadly, on me, all it did was make me smell zestfully clean for a few minutes and then disappeared completely. Damn my perfume vampire skin!