Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

The Devil

From Tarot Oils

I think I may need to go for more positive tarot archetypes in my next purchase! Aesthetically, I love this scent. It is dark, dark, DARK! Musky and animalistic in the extreme. I can see how the oil embodies entrapment in worldly desires. It certainly inspired a few darker desires in me when I sniffed it.

Whoa. A popular one, I see.

The Devil has the same base note as Hunger, to me at least. It's a heavy, waxy, patchouli/narcissus kind of smell. As it develops, a very musky or civet note comes to the front. And remains there.

It's quite long-lasting blend, but was too musky smelling for me (musks and I don't generally get along). I felt like a very hound-y smelling dog was hanging out on my right arm.

Civet. Most definately civet. Musk turns powdery on me and is much lighter and powdery.

And that animalistic note is quite strong at first. But not as hard as it is in some civet scents--its cut or rounded with something else I can't identify. something slightly sweet/fruity to cut it.

Aptly enough, it burned very slightly when I put it on, something that sometimes happens to me with strong cinnamon notes, though I don't smell any cinnamon in this.

After a bit it lightens up, and while still civety, does take on a more fruity/watery note if that makes any sense. And a hint of powder....maybe there is musk in it after all?

I have only worn it 1/2 hour so will likely edit this post to give a later update on it.

But it should have civet--it is after the Devil, the card of sexuality and obsession....And I note my tarot book says the perfume correspondences for this card are civet, musk and nutmeg....

I like this, though I'll likely only wear it when I need to draw on this card's influence. Its a bit too strong to wear otherwise.

wow this is heavy on the civet, there is a spicy undercurrent, i want to say a tad of cinnamon, but i am not positive cinnamon is it, and could there be possibly amber?

there is something warm lurking something amber like, and cinnamon, but i only smell it in the waft, up against my arm is all civet. like my civet single note....this one is certainly devilish

at first: this was a freebie from the lab. pretty, but musky.

on: hmmm...i like this, but i can't really place the notes. maybe some woods? it's warm.

1 hour later: more powdery and almost sweet. dark. i like this.

3 hours later: sharper now, but still really dark.

5 hours later: still warm and dark. lovely. it keeps wafting around me. i feel strangely comfortable and happy wearing this.

overall: i absolutely adore this. i'm so glad the lab threw an imp into my order, and i'll probably end up ordering a bottle at some point.

Bright, sharp and watery.There is something herby in the mix, and something kind of sweet as well. As it's drying a woody note is coming out, and it is mellowing out. As it dries further a medicinal/soapy note is coming into the mix. Now some spices are coming to the foreground. It finishes bitter/woody.

I can usually pick up civet a mile away, but I smell a big fat zero of civet in The Devil. I do get a heavy black and red musk mix and some nutmeg and cinnamon. It's very dark, slightly powdery, slightly spicy, and there's a touch of herbal/floral to it down very very deep in the mix. I can say that the floral isn't narcissus because narcissus + civet I could definitely pick up because, man, I'd smell horrible.

I kind of like this, kind of not. There's a slight plasticy, bitter scent that comes up after a while, but it's not at all unpleasant with the whole.

I find it hard to describe Devil. I know that this isn't a keeper, for one.

The overall smell though... it makes me think of dark, dark things that haven't seen the light in a very, very long time. It's musky, and wet and rotten. Not that it smells like rotten things, it just has this old, murky, death smell to it.

I can appreciate the creation and the power of this blend, but wearing it makes me feel horrible. This is the only blend I've sampled, this far, that has given me such a strong emotional reaction.

The Devil

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

Preconceived notions: I think I’ll really like this, as I hope it’s going to be dark and tormented smelling.

In the vial:

Yep, we’ve got some herbs (eucalyptus), some musk or civet (something rather animalistic), and something else that I would indeed qualify as “dark and tormented”.

On me:

Whoa, animal! The civet (I think it’s civet) is very powerful in this blend, so if you don’t like it, you might not like this :P. I do.

I keep expecting there to be something sweet, something gluttonous or seductive, but there’s nothing there. This doesn’t work (so far) for the Devil card, with that missing, since the point is that you are so seduced, entranced, addicted to material possessions, to power, to a goal, to other things that take up time (TV, online interests, video/computer games, sex, etc.) that you lose touch with reality and are unwilling to give them up and actually make your life better. This scent has all the negative aspects, plus the spiritual uplift with the eucalyptus, with none of the entrancing, sweet, and alluring qualities I associate with the card.

In 10 minutes:

I’ve reconsidered. I think perhaps this does work well with the card, in the sense that choosing to use this scent could be a choice to delve into one’s hedonism and animal nature. From that perspective, it is a very provocative scent. The scent hasn’t changed in the 10 minutes, and not wanting to delve into hedonism at the moment (I’m doing work for my part time job), I’m going to move on to the next Tarot oil.

Overall:

I like this a lot, and I can definitely see myself using it when I want to delve into hedonism.

Bottle (Imp): Kind of sweet, with a hint of spice to it. Maybe some flowers with that?

Just On: Hmm, this has a hint of plastic in it, but it's not so strong, so perhaps it won't last too long. The little bit of spice is still there as well.

An hour or two later: I still get a bit of plastic, but not as much as some other scents. It's mixed with *something* (no clue what) that seems like it would be very nice if I could just get that plastic out of the way to smell it.

Around 6 hours: More plastic coming forth. I really need to figure out what scents turn to plastic on me, or what is making my skin do this to scents, because I started out so well, having almost every scent love me, and then this started to become more common.

12 hours: Ahhh, powder, which is a welcome change from the plastic thing. I am glad I like the powder, because at least half the scents I've tried turn to it.

Overall: This is interesting, and I am glad I got to try it. I think I'd like this one on The Mate, so I may have to try that and see what happens. Of course, he's more like a saint than a devil, but that doesn't mean it won't work on him. <g> If he doesn't like it, then it will probably go into swaps.

After reading other reviews: I guess I'm not the only plastic smelling person when it comes to this. Must be lucky though, I didn't get civet, or at least the cat pee part of civet that seems so common. If it went straight to powder, I would probably love this. Since it doesn't I may wind up swapping it.

Initial Sniff: I think I smell civet - Glasya civet, not Puck civet. There are also those Tarot blend herbs and something warm - possibly amber?

Wearing: On my skin, the herbs really develop nicely and there is a sweet fruitiness that comes through the warm, musky background. I feel very attractive and powerful in this scent. It lasts all day - after 10 hours there is a warm sweetness lingering on my wrists.

Final Impressions: I really like this one. I'm such a good little heathen! :P

Is this what I smell? Civet? I haven't had any experience with civet scents as yet to my knowledge.

In the bottle, it was strong. I did get a whiff of patchouli and a couple other herbal scents.

On the skin, from first few moments lasting well into the day there was only a single thought "wet dog". Another person described it as hound-y. I think it's an accurate description.

devil.jpg

If you want to smell like the devil, this is the blend for you!

Actually, The Devil is pretty tame. No uber cinnamon or sulphur, no surprises. It's just a deep animalic natural blend of musky type oils and I pick up some very "puey" jasmine when I first smell it. It must be made up of a lot of components because it has that "everything but the kitchen sink of essential oils" smell, nothing jumps out because there is a lot there. Somehow it does not come off as a harmonious blend, there isn't enough which shares the same sort of "theme". So all of the elements come together in olfactory cacophony.

As a "scent picture" doesn't that work perfectly? The Devil is the Master of Pandemonium, right? I'd say that this oil is fine performance art, and paints a perfect picture of what it represents. I bet it's a fine ritual blend, but like so many ritual blends smelling good isn't its strong point. I'd have to sum it up by saying it was well done but not my cup of tea.

I'm a little afraid of this one, despite not being from a particularly religious background, but I'm watching a History Channel documentary on Hell while testing this so I'm thinking more in terms of the traditional idea of the devil, rather than the Tarot card interpretation.

This is a thin, sinuous scent -- light at first but if you inhale it, it's a sharp spike of scent that goes up through your nose and surrounds your brain. It's not pleasant but it's not objectionable. I think of the chest that my grandmother kept a couple of antique furs in -- I was horrified by them, they seemed ghoulish and wrong to me, but the scent of the mothballs and cedar of the chest was mingled with that preserved fur smell. That's how this comes across to me. The mothball/musk scent continues...I don't know exactly what the lab's civet smells like, but if that is what this is, I don't find it quite as horrifying as I thought I would, but I also don't think I'd want to wear it.

That said, I washed this off because it makes me feel weird.

In the bottle

Surprisingly kinda nice. Smells like light musk, medium civet, medium black pepper

On

There are so many nice evil smells in here, but the one that I don't like too much is the one that smells like pickle juice. :P

Sweet pickle juice at that.

However, the rest of the many notes in here are addictive, very strange yet...comforting somehow.

As it dries the sweet pickle juice primary note diminishes (praise the lord...dark or otherwise) and it's now better, but still so headache inducing as to make me woozy

...yet I still keep smelling it.

I'll take a s.w.a.g. at the different notes I'm smelling; eucalyuptus, black pepper, civet, some other little dark herbies.

30 minutes

Much more leather smelling now. For those of you who like the blends that have a leather or a civet smell, this is one for you. I wouldn't wear it ever, but it is addictive. Go figure.

Throw:

More then average, but I dunno if that's a good thing. 13.gif

Scent category:

Animalistic

Summary

Yep. It's the devil, and the devil really is scary.

Purchase again?

No.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

2.5 (I gave it a bit more, just for not being "Queen")

*gets out pitchfork and pokes little impie back in it's pen* poke1.GIF

Very sexy and red.

It's a soft spicy smell that goes very subtle when dry.

I get a smooth almond scent, and maybe some red musk.

Just sexy. :P

After reading the reviews for The Devil, I had high hopes for it. It opens with a light musk (maybe white) and then darker musks make their presence known. I didn't detect any red musk myself, but so far, so good! Unfortunately, The Devil dries down with a very distinct civet note that overpowers the musks. It was just too overwhelming for me.

A dark, foreboding, devious scent. I'm not smelling any civet in it, like others have. It's more of a dark, mossy, earthy brown/black smell. There's a faint hint of spice in the undertone, maybe some very dark florals. On the drydown, something in it goes a bit rotten on me, ewww. But, my man loves this one and has claimed my imp for his own. It smells sexy on him.

In the bottle, this is a sharp, scorched floral, and actually is very light--barely there, even. Oh, but the evil that lurks behind that friendly facade comes out once it's applied. I've decided that I'm one of the many civet haters, if that is indeed what makes this and Czernobog smell so awful. It eventually reached a point where it smells like a dirty diaper and I had to wash it off because I kept gagging. I'll give it one thing, though, the throw is almost non-existent, which works in its favor.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Wow, that's...different. The Devil smells (to me) like a combination of some sort of florals and civet or a heavy musk of some sort. I'm not sure if I like this or not, but it's definitely...interesting.

Wet on skin:

Musky, but not so civety (is that even a word?) as before. It's almost herbal now, but with a moderately strong background of animalistic musk.

Dry down:

I smell like cat pee now. That would be the civet/musk reacting to my skin chemistry. Unfortunately, I can't wear civet or strong musks without smelling like I've been sprayed by an over-amorous tomcat, so this isn't working for me.

The bottom line:

The Devil is too musky for me, but I'm not particularly surprised by that.

I love civet and hate florals... so I'm happy to report that this smells mostly like civet and I didn't get any florals.

On me this is musky animalistic civet with a hint of spice in the background. The spice might be cinnamon, but it isn't as sharp as cinnamon usually is on me. I'm so amazed that this is musky yet is not giving me a headache.

In the drydown this smells like civet and dill pickles. Is it gross that I love this? Figures that I'd like a perfume named The Devil. This reminds me a bit of Satyr though (only I like Satyr a LOT more), and I have a 10 ml of Satyr... so I think that I'll keep my decant of this one, but I won't need a full bottle.

In bottle: Clean, but dark. Does that make sense? It's a sparkling, crystal fragrance, but dark, like smoky grey tinted glass.

On me: On the skin it smells heavily of animalistic musk - civet - and green jasmine. Or would that be something green and herb-like, and jasmine? Definitely a mix of medicinal and floral, with that heavy civet.

This is the Devil has the goat-diety air to it, the really animalistic musk.

It smells like the goat has been rutting around in his own filth. Yikes. This smells like animal butt.

It's so musky in that awful animal sense that I honestly think I'm going to have to wash it off, NOW.

:P

Hmmm, not bad. Drawing me in. Do I smell Mr. Bubble? Enticing! Come closer you say?

Oh shit, its Mr. Bubble with the worst halitosis. He opens his mouth full of brown, broken shards of teeth, ready to bite my head off, and the last thing I'm going to smell before I die is the worst putrid evil breath I've ever smelled. I don't wanna deal with the devil anymore.

I'm a lightweight.

But what a fantastic representation of the Devil.